Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 am

arkpandora wrote:Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you for advice on the following matter.

My mother used to love Elvis in the Sixties. Life got her away from him, but now she wants to listen to his music again. As she doesn't own anything of him in digital form, I want to give her a new starting point. But I don't know much about Elvis, I don't find any reasonably priced "complete" set, and I'm still lost in that huge discography. So here's my question: what would you buy for my mother on CD (and maybe DVD)? All I know is that she prefers the younger Elvis to the "fatter" Elvis, but she loves songs of the 70s too, especially his cover song "My Way".

Thank you for any help!

Jean

Why don't you just ask her what tracks she likes? :roll:

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Because she's not expecting me to give her Elvis material, and as far as I know she likes the singer and person more than particular tracks, so at first I prefer to take care of the surprise rather than the possible accuracy.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Epilogue: my mother is very happy with her Elvis package. Thank you again, everyone!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm

arkpandora wrote:
Matthew wrote:
arkpandora wrote:After comparing reviews of live albums, "On Stage" was the first album I intended to buy before posting on this forum, but I was dampened by reading it's overdubbed, unlike "Madison Square Garden" or "Aloha from Hawaii". However I haven't listened to it myself, so I'm willing to trust you and other positive reviews.

And nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I'll probably follow your advice and choose "Elvis 75" + "On Stage".

There are some repairs on some tracks, mainly backing vocal sweetening and the odd (rare) guitar fix. Everything else is live.

Both the original On Stage (1970) and In Person (1969) albums are compiled live albums from various performances and feature excellent song performances. The atmosphere on the albums is worth the price of admission for the Legacy Edition. The Wonder Of You comes from On Stage, as well as his definitive take on Polk Salad Annie. The In Person element focuses on his return to live performances.

Thanks, Matthew! I'll definitely begin with "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight" + "On Stage" (Legacy Edition).

JEFF d wrote:I think the "Good Rockin Tonight" boxset is the PERFECT starting point!

And it scores one more point!

Bang on!! You can 't go wrong with those releases...

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm

arkpandora wrote:Epilogue: my mother is very happy with her Elvis package. Thank you again, everyone!

You are a good daughter.

Mom is lucky to have you.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Rob wrote:You are a good daughter.

I'm rather a good son, but I know my pseudonym and first name Jean (I'm French-speaking) are confusing, and your comment is all the nicer!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm

I am not clear what selection(s) you got for her? Was it Elvis 75 or the 60's 5 CD box set?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 pm

It's the 4-CD "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight", and 2-CD Legacy Edition of "On Stage".

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 pm

arkpandora wrote:It's the 4-CD "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight", and 2-CD Legacy Edition of "On Stage".

Nice choices! On Stage is Elvis at his finest of 70's live material. And like many others have said, Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight is a fine collection in great sound quality! :smt023

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 pm

arkpandora wrote:It's the 4-CD "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight", and 2-CD Legacy Edition of "On Stage".

On Stage has the best version of Johnny B. Goode on it :smt004

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Superb selections! Happy New Year to you and your mom.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 pm

If not buying the 60s Master set. Then I would recommend Elvis Is Back Legacy Edition, Tomorrow Is A Long Time. Golden Records Vol 3 Expanded and From Elvis In Memphis Legacy Edition. That would made a great dent in the 60s material.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 pm

arkpandora wrote:
Rob wrote:You are a good daughter.

I'm rather a good son, but I know my pseudonym and first name Jean (I'm French-speaking) are confusing, and your comment is all the nicer!

Oh.

You're a good son.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 am

Many thanks for your enthusiastic answers and advices! I take due note of them for my mum/mom, future gifts, and own experience as I still don't know much about Elvis.

Yet what I could hear of those sets while my mother was listening seemed engaging to me as well, and I learnt (or had forgotten) that "Always on my mind" was an Elvis song, even though I have liked its music since I used to listen to a cover of it in a music software for the Commodore 64 computer in the 80s when I was a child.

elvis-fan wrote:Nice choices!

All the credit is due to the members who helped me here.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Happy New Year to you and your mom.

Thank you! I've passed the message on, and with mine she sends to you her own best wishes!

Rob wrote:Mom is lucky to have you.

Nevertheless I must improve in many areas...