Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

I have been the London area branch leader of the official EPFC UK for nearly 20 years now. In that time I can say I do not know a great deal about the collecting habits of Todd, the leader of the UK Fan Club since 1967. Can anyone here say that they are a friend of Todd's? Is he an avid collector of all things Elvis? When he had his heart by-pass 20 years ago, many thought it would be the end for him.
John.
Last edited by Capital Elvis on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Is Todd Slaughter and Elvis Presley collector?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Unfortunately for me I would have to say Todd is not a likable character ,& I have given him a couple of cracks at it .
From my knowledge I do not believe he is a collector as such, unless it is personalized or penned through him .

This is only one mans opinion .........

ElvisFan

Re: Is Todd Slaughter and Elvis Presley collector?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I worked in the office with Todd back in the 90s, just before Julie Mundy took over for a while (I was staff writer in the fan club mag and did the photo archives for the same mag and Elvis monthly). I would talk to Todd about the latest bootleg releases etc but he never seemed to know much about them, so I guessed he wasn't much of a collector, certainly at that time. It's not something he really talks about even now. So probably not.

Re: Is Todd Slaughter and Elvis Presley collector?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I worked in the office with Todd back in the 90s, just before Julie Mundy took over for a while (I was staff writer in the fan club mag and did the photo archives for the same mag and Elvis monthly). I would talk to Todd about the latest bootleg releases etc but he never seemed to know much about them, so I guessed he wasn't much of a collector, certainly at that time. It's not something he really talks about even now. So probably not.


Hi 'Swinging'. (I don't know your proper name),
So would you say he is a friend of yours and were you around 20 years ago when he had his by pass (which they say extends ones life by around 10 years).
John

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:04 pm

More of an acquaintance than a friend. I got along more with Alan and Barbara who worked at the fan club at the time, and became friends with Julie immediately after meeting her (and we're still friends).

Todd was quite good fun when he wanted to be - very dry humour. Yeah I knew him from the very early 80s and around the time of his operation he became painfully thin. Afterwards, very bloated. I was worried he would reject but he has proven to be quite amazing in that he's almost doubled the, shall we say, "extra time" that is expected in such operations. And he's still going strong bless him!

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 am

I met Todd at the Blackpool Elvis exhibition during the long hot summer of 1989. He seemed a bit aloof but in saying that he was happy to pose for photo's and he chatted to me about a planned video called "The Greatest Hits Collection"..my eyes lit up when he told me that this was to feature lengthy concert footage from Vegas,1969..does anyone remember hearing about this?? I wonder is this the same footage that eventually ended up on "Return To Splendour"?

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

That's right sundial. I worked on that exhibition too. Todd was exaggerating somewhat but yes, it was Return To Splendour he was talking about.

Lengthy 1969 footage! GRRRR!

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm

I have known of Todd since he and Ian Bailye started the New Elvis Fan Club in 1967. Even prior to that he had come up with the germ of an idea to broadcast Elvis worldwide via satellite following the launch (1962?) of the groundbreaking Telstar satellite.

I would categorise him as an 'Elvis promoter' rather than an Elvis fan. In that respect he has done a lot for Elvis's profile over the years in the UK and as a result has enjoyed the occasional flashes of being in the limelight (who wouldn't). There's not a lot of warmth there and he has long been known for 'rip-off' prices for Elvis product through the OEPFC of Great Britain. There's a bit of the Col. Tom. about him, I guess.

Though I have seen him in person quite a few times - mainly late 60s and early 70s - I do not really know him and I would heavily qualify what I have written as being 'my impression'.

His favourite Elvis recording, at least at one time, was Girl Of My Best Friend. I would guess his Elvis collection is quite minimal though he probably has some interesting items from the many OEPFC trips he took to the USA and from several meetings with Col. Parker.

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:23 pm

I joined "The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain" in 1962 and to this day I am still a member. I have met Todd on many acashions including the '72 and '73 USA trips. I would agree that he does come over as slightly aloof, but once you get chatting to him I have found him to be quite friendly.

I would assume that like myself (we are both the same age) he is a collector of all official releases but not necessarally all the bootlegs, outtakes and 70's concerts that are available. But having never asked him I cannot say for sure. However one thing that I would say for sure, he is a devoted Elvis fan and has done so much great work over the years promoting EP.

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:37 am

Chris Roberts wrote:I joined "The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain" in 1962 and to this day I am still a member. I have met Todd on many acashions including the '72 and '73 USA trips. I would agree that he does come over as slightly aloof, but once you get chatting to him I have found him to be quite friendly.
I would assume that like myself (we are both the same age) he is a collector of all official releases but not necessarally all the bootlegs, outtakes and 70's concerts that are available. But having never asked him I cannot say for sure. However one thing that I would say for sure, he is a devoted Elvis fan and has done so much great work over the years promoting EP.


Great post Chris.

I know Todd (fairly well) and his natural sense of humor can make him appear "aloof" but you’re right, if you spend time talking with him he is indeed friendly, in fact he can be very funny. He has done an incredible amount of work Elvis and for anyone to suggest he isn't a 'real fan' is absolutely Ludicrous. Hundreds of people from the UK had the opportunity of seeing Elvis perform due to Todd Slaughter that alone warrants a lot of credit.

Steve Morse wrote:His favourite Elvis recording, at least at one time, was Girl Of My Best Friend. I would guess his Elvis collection is quite minimal


? you “guess” his collection is minimal due to the fact we share the same favourite Elvis song?

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:I joined "The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain" in 1962 and to this day I am still a member. I have met Todd on many acashions including the '72 and '73 USA trips. I would agree that he does come over as slightly aloof, but once you get chatting to him I have found him to be quite friendly.
I would assume that like myself (we are both the same age) he is a collector of all official releases but not necessarally all the bootlegs, outtakes and 70's concerts that are available. But having never asked him I cannot say for sure. However one thing that I would say for sure, he is a devoted Elvis fan and has done so much great work over the years promoting EP.


Great post Chris.

I know Todd (fairly well) and his natural sense of humor can make him appear "aloof" but you’re right, if you spend time talking with him he is indeed friendly, in fact he can be very funny. He has done an incredible amount of work Elvis and for anyone to suggest he isn't a 'real fan' is absolutely Ludicrous. Hundreds of people from the UK had the opportunity of seeing Elvis perform due to Todd Slaughter that alone warrants a lot of credit.

Steve Morse wrote:His favourite Elvis recording, at least at one time, was Girl Of My Best Friend. I would guess his Elvis collection is quite minimal


? you “guess” his collection is minimal due to the fact we share the same favourite Elvis song?


????? I've no idea what you mean by that. The two sentences in my final paragraph were unrelated.

I qualified my thoughts, which are just impressions really and should be read as such. I would be very surprised if Todd has an extensive Elvis collection or that he would be interested in the minutia that frequently pervades this board (and which I frequently enjoy reading). I could be entirely wrong about Todd, of course. I was just addressing the original question.

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Steve Morse wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:I joined "The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain" in 1962 and to this day I am still a member. I have met Todd on many acashions including the '72 and '73 USA trips. I would agree that he does come over as slightly aloof, but once you get chatting to him I have found him to be quite friendly.
I would assume that like myself (we are both the same age) he is a collector of all official releases but not necessarally all the bootlegs, outtakes and 70's concerts that are available. But having never asked him I cannot say for sure. However one thing that I would say for sure, he is a devoted Elvis fan and has done so much great work over the years promoting EP.


Great post Chris.

I know Todd (fairly well) and his natural sense of humor can make him appear "aloof" but you’re right, if you spend time talking with him he is indeed friendly, in fact he can be very funny. He has done an incredible amount of work Elvis and for anyone to suggest he isn't a 'real fan' is absolutely Ludicrous. Hundreds of people from the UK had the opportunity of seeing Elvis perform due to Todd Slaughter that alone warrants a lot of credit.

Steve Morse wrote:His favourite Elvis recording, at least at one time, was Girl Of My Best Friend. I would guess his Elvis collection is quite minimal


? you “guess” his collection is minimal due to the fact we share the same favourite Elvis song?


????? I've no idea what you mean by that. The two sentences in my final paragraph were unrelated.

I qualified my thoughts, which are just impressions really and should be read as such. I would be very surprised if Todd has an extensive Elvis collection or that he would be interested in the minutia that frequently pervades this board (and which I frequently enjoy reading). I could be entirely wrong about Todd, of course. I was just addressing the original question.


So do people here think the Fan Club is still beter with him in charge in 2013? And is anyone here actually a FRIEND of Todd's?

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:I joined "The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain" in 1962 and to this day I am still a member. I have met Todd on many acashions including the '72 and '73 USA trips. I would agree that he does come over as slightly aloof, but once you get chatting to him I have found him to be quite friendly.
I would assume that like myself (we are both the same age) he is a collector of all official releases but not necessarally all the bootlegs, outtakes and 70's concerts that are available. But having never asked him I cannot say for sure. However one thing that I would say for sure, he is a devoted Elvis fan and has done so much great work over the years promoting EP.


Great post Chris.

I know Todd (fairly well) and his natural sense of humor can make him appear "aloof" but you’re right, if you spend time talking with him he is indeed friendly, in fact he can be very funny. He has done an incredible amount of work Elvis and for anyone to suggest he isn't a 'real fan' is absolutely Ludicrous. Hundreds of people from the UK had the opportunity of seeing Elvis perform due to Todd Slaughter that alone warrants a lot of credit.

Steve Morse wrote:His favourite Elvis recording, at least at one time, was Girl Of My Best Friend. I would guess his Elvis collection is quite minimal


? you “guess” his collection is minimal due to the fact we share the same favourite Elvis song?


????? I've no idea what you mean by that. The two sentences in my final paragraph were unrelated.

I qualified my thoughts, which are just impressions really and should be read as such. I would be very surprised if Todd has an extensive Elvis collection or that he would be interested in the minutia that frequently pervades this board (and which I frequently enjoy reading). I could be entirely wrong about Todd, of course. I was just addressing the original question.


So do people here think the Fan Club is still beter with him in charge in 2013? And is anyone here actually a FRIEND of Todd's?

........

Opinions Vary Tony - Ok - Todd is no collector in my books - i can tell you - I have spoken or tried to speak to him in de past but I was buffd off by him and his team - ::rocks

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Steve Morse wrote:I would be very surprised if Todd has an extensive Elvis collection or that he would be interested in the minutia that frequently pervades this board (and which I frequently enjoy reading). I could be entirely wrong about Todd, of course. I was just addressing the original question.

I agree.

When I worked at the Fan Club, Todd NEVER listened to Elvis. He had other music on but never Elvis. And he never talked "Elvis" either - even when someone instigated it, and chatted about bootlegs, new releases etc

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:40 pm

if there was a pretty woman around you can bet your bottom $$$ he talked Elvis all night and his connection to him ... i've seen him in action

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 pm

houndog wrote:if there was a pretty woman around you can bet your bottom $$$ he talked Elvis all night and his connection to him ... i've seen him in action


And she doesn't even have to be pretty. :lol:

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 am

houndog wrote:if there was a pretty woman around you can bet your bottom $$$ he talked Elvis all night and his connection to him ... i've seen him in action



Most would do the same if you were in his position...

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 am

Robt wrote:
houndog wrote:if there was a pretty woman around you can bet your bottom $$$ he talked Elvis all night and his connection to him ... i've seen him in action



Most would do the same if you were in his position...



I was thinking the same thing. If it works, use it :D

Re: Is Todd Slaughter an Elvis Presley collector?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 pm

TJ wrote:
Robt wrote:
houndog wrote:if there was a pretty woman around you can bet your bottom $$$ he talked Elvis all night and his connection to him ... i've seen him in action



Most would do the same if you were in his position...



I was thinking the same thing. If it works, use it :D


More fool them. Todd is no oil painting. :P