Off Topic Messages

Ben Elton: Two Brothers

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 am

I've just finished reading this remarkable novel and wondered if anyone else has had the pleasure. The story starts in Germany in 1920 when a woman gives birth to twins, except that one is stillborn, and she is persuaded to adopt a baby whose mother had died in childbirth and their was no other (interested) family. And so the Stengel's have their twins after all. The two boys are not told of the adoption, and are brought up as natural brothers - but as the Nazis rise to power, the adoption turns out to be of the utmost importance - the Stengel family is Jewish, but the adopted son is not.

I say the novel is a "pleasure", and it certainly is brilliantly constructed and brilliantly written, but it also a horrifying tale of Germany during the period 1920 to 1945 and the suffering of the Jewish population during that time. I've seen a couple of Elton's plays before, and have to say been pleasantly surprised by them as I don't care for Elton as a comic or many of his TV credits. However, Two Brothers may well be viewed in years to come as his masterwork, and rightfully so for it is great modern novel.

Re: Ben Elton: Two Brothers

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm

You've sold it to me so I will pick it up soon. I have a couple of other books to read first.

EDIT: OK, half price on Amazon so I've gone for it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0593 ... 0593062051

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Two Brothers may well be viewed in years to come as his masterwork, and rightfully so for it is great modern novel.

Ben is a fine writer and I don't doubt you for a minute!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 am

Hope you enjoy it. :)