Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD Girl Happy

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:21 am

I have the first edition of FTD's Girl Happy. Other than the correct master of You'll Be Gone, is there any other improvements, revisions or changes on the later FTD edition?

Re: FTD Girl Happy

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 am

skatterbrane wrote:I have the first edition of FTD's Girl Happy. Other than the correct master of You'll Be Gone, is there any other improvements, revisions or changes on the later FTD edition?

Yes, the masters are Vic's remastered versions, if I'm not mistaken, ... same as on The Complete Masters box set and the budget release from a couple of years ago >> http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Happy-Soundt ... girl+happy

And they may have made a couple of spelling corrections somewhere on the set, if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone confirm?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:41 am

I have the budget issue too, so I guess I will not bother "upgrading" my FTD Girl Happy. The song Girl Happy is actually pretty good when done at NORMAL speed. I really like the take that is on the Collector's Gold 3 CD set, which is also on the FTD of course.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:48 pm

As discussed in many other threads previously, the FTD STILL needs an upgrade at some point to include the complete, unedited masters of "Wolf call", "I've got to find my baby", "Meanest girl in town" (longer fade out) and "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce", ALL of which exist somewhere on bootleg releases.
Also, an alternate take or two of "Do the clam" wouldn't harm anything.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:49 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I have the first edition of FTD's Girl Happy. Other than the correct master of You'll Be Gone, is there any other improvements, revisions or changes on the later FTD edition?

As I do, does yours have all the mispellings of names of co-stars?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Tony.. wrote:As discussed in many other threads previously, the FTD STILL needs an upgrade at some point to include the complete, unedited masters of "Wolf call", "I've got to find my baby", "Meanest girl in town" (longer fade out) and "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce", ALL of which exist somewhere on bootleg releases.

As I recall, the reason Ernst did not include these full length versions is because he has neither the tapes nor the acetates of these versions.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Mike C wrote:
Tony.. wrote:As discussed in many other threads previously, the FTD STILL needs an upgrade at some point to include the complete, unedited masters of "Wolf call", "I've got to find my baby", "Meanest girl in town" (longer fade out) and "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce", ALL of which exist somewhere on bootleg releases.

As I recall, the reason Ernst did not include these full length versions is because he has neither the tapes nor the acetates of these versions.

Maybe a lift from the bootlegs they are on would have sufficed then in the meantime. They are certainly accessible.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm

skatterbrane wrote:The song Girl Happy is actually pretty good when done at NORMAL speed.

I agree! It was totally unnecessary to release it sped up back in '65. It actually ruined the song.

I think it would've made a much better choice as a single (at correct speed) than "Do The Clam".

Girl Happy/You'll Be Gone

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 pm

The 2009 edition of Girl Happy (FTD) does swap the mistakenly used alternate take 4 of "You'll Be Gone" for the master take 3. But the primary reason for the reissue was due to unearthing a far better quality album master tape source (tracks 1-11). So, if you love this soundtrack, the upgrade (BMG 82876 50408 2) is an essential purchase.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 pm

The upgrade is not "essential" in any way you state it.

It is odd that he choose to do an upgrade on such a soundtrack.

It just wasn't a priority and took time away from other more essential product.

And since the soundtrack was limited due to loss of tapes, the idea to do an upgrade was

not in the best interest of the fans.

Now when they find the missing sessions, we get a 3rd!! upgrade on this FTD title? CRAZY.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:12 pm

The first pressing of 'Girl happy' on FTD also had a tinny reverb added onto tracks 1 - 11 that was neither on the original album issue nor its CD debut on the double features series.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Lene's handiwork? I notices she did the bulk of the FTD soundtracks.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:18 pm

An FTD re-release of G Happy with 2 discs and complete session (if space permits) as well as correction of the speeded up masters would make me part with my cash again. It's always been one of my favourite soundtracks.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

lucio wrote:An FTD re-release of G Happy with 2 discs and complete session (if space permits) as well as correction of the speeded up masters would make me part with my cash again. It's always been one of my favourite soundtracks.

I too wish we could get all the masters at the correct speed. Do The Clam, Wolf Call, Startin' Tonight, and a few others are just as fast as Girl Happy.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm

ekenee wrote:The upgrade is not "essential" in any way you state it.

And since the soundtrack was limited due to loss of tapes, the idea to do an upgrade was

Now when they find the missing sessions, we get a 3rd!! upgrade on this FTD title? CRAZY.

OK a couple questions...
1) How is this taking time away from other essential products? Is there some urgency to issuing new FTD's?
2) How is upgrading and/or correcting an FTD a bad thing for fans? People here whine all the time about mistakes being made on FTD releases...

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm

The day I think an upgrade of DO The Clam and Wolf Call is essential , is the day I hope I go deaf.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

OK a couple questions...
1) How is this taking time away from other essential products? Is there some urgency to issuing new FTD's?
2) How is upgrading and/or correcting an FTD a bad thing for fans? People here whine all the time about mistakes being made on FTD releases...

Each FTD is a project.
If you choose to upgrade one, then that upgrade takes the place of another one, and pushes it back.
On the urgency issue.
There is NO urgency on new FTD's.
There is even WAY less urgency on upgrading OLD FTD's.

To answer number two. It's bad because it wasn't a free replacement. It cost the same.
Before going back and re-releasing all the old ones and fixing mistakes, why not think to the future first and realize
that we still haven't gotten, from elvis in memphis, moody blue, flaming star, and bunch of others.
It's about priorities. When all the classics are released then would be the time to go back and think about reissues.
And further more the "upgrade" was not much of an upgrade. We were still missing key outtakes and extended songs,so it is moot for me, and i passed.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm

stevelecher wrote:
lucio wrote:An FTD re-release of G Happy with 2 discs and complete session (if space permits) as well as correction of the speeded up masters would make me part with my cash again. It's always been one of my favourite soundtracks.

I too wish we could get all the masters at the correct speed. Do The Clam, Wolf Call, Startin' Tonight, and a few others are just as fast as Girl Happy.

Fact: only "Girl Happy," the title track, was sped up before release in 1965. This is why it appears this way on the FTD. It would be cool to hear the master at original pitch on an official release, though. Note the FTD does have several alternates playing at the original pitch.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

Fact: only "Girl Happy," the title track, was sped up before release in 1965. This is why it appears this way on the FTD. It would be cool to hear the master at original pitch on an official release, though. Note the FTD does have several alternates playing at the original pitch.

You can get an idea of the real sound of 'Girl Happy' on an alternate take on the Collectors God box set. It was not speeded up there.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 pm

elvis-fan wrote:OK a couple questions...

1) It is not. There is not, save that many FTD fans "have turned the sharp corner of 50."
2) No, it is not. Ernst has stated on many occasions he tries to get newly-acquired tapes out as soon as possible.

In the case of the 2009 Girl Happy upgrade, the master reels were an unexpected but cool discovery.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

You can get an idea of the real sound of 'Girl Happy' on an alternate take on the Collectors God box set. It was not speeded up there.

This alternate take 4 is also found on the FTD, and in better quality. Do you have the FTD?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

This alternate take 4 is also found on the FTD, and in better quality. Do you have the FTD?

No I do not. Dont like most soundtracks. Only bought Viva Las Vegas.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

ekenee wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
And since the soundtrack was limited due to loss of tapes, the idea to do an upgrade was not in the best interest of the fans.

OK a couple questions...

Each FTD is a project.
If you choose to upgrade one, then that upgrade takes the place of another one, and pushes it back.
On the urgency issue.
There is NO urgency on new FTD's.
There is even WAY less urgency on upgrading OLD FTD's.

To answer number two. It's bad because it wasn't a free replacement. It cost the same.
Before going back and re-releasing all the old ones and fixing mistakes, why not think to the future first and realize
that we still haven't gotten, from elvis in memphis, moody blue, flaming star, and bunch of others.
It's about priorities. When all the classics are released then would be the time to go back and think about reissues.
And further more the "upgrade" was not much of an upgrade. We were still missing key outtakes and extended songs,so it is moot for me, and i passed.

Wise decision, ekenee.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Doc: On the songs I mentioned, Elvis' voice sounds the same as it does on the speeded up Girl Happy. Many years ago, with a variable speed turntable, we played these songs at about 30 RPM and his voice sounded very natural, like it does on the Girl Happy outtakes. I know there's no paperwork saying Wolf Call or Do The Clam are speeded up, but listen to that Girl Happy voice. I think it's obvious.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:OK a couple questions...

1) It is not. There is not, save that many FTD fans "have turned the sharp corner of 50."
2) No, it is not. Ernst has stated on many occasions he tries to get newly-acquired tapes out as soon as possible.

In the case of the 2009 Girl Happy upgrade, the master reels were an unexpected but cool discovery.

So, what your basically saying in a nutshell is that it was of more urgency to get these newly discovered tapes out
via an upgrade than say, get "From Elvis in Memphis" out on FTD?

I guess I have a bit more grasp on what I consider essential because the Girl Happy could have waited. Yes indeed.

We are still waiting on From Elvis in Memphis. Get my drift.