Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 3000 South Paridise Road

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 am

JEFF d wrote:... how do you like your FTD "300 South Paradise Rd"??

I opened mine last night... looks nice. I've been at work all day today so I haven't been able to read the liner notes in the booklet or listen to any of it, yet.

Maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 am

we were posting AT the same time! lolol

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 am

JEFF d wrote:we were posting AT the same time! lolol

:lol: You noticed that, too!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

On the main show why is the 2001 missing, but appears on the GR release, and BITD ?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Easy ..it was NOT recorded.. :wink:

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

I got this release as a christmas gift, and while it looks great I was very dissapointed with the sound of the show. It sounds "ok" for a soundboard but I was expecting more having read that the sound difference between this and to old boot is like "night and day". It is clearly not. Also the show, while good, sounds like the other ones we have (At Full Blast being the best of them in my opinion). Not a show I will ever play again but the rehearsal disc is interessting enough.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

I've listened to the concert twice in two days. The sound is really great. I do have the boot so I will have compare when I can but I do think the FTD version really sounds great and it is a solid show by Elvis. I'm happy with the rehearsal too. I didn't by the other one and probably won't bother but this goes well with the show. Elvis has his act together. FTD gets an A for this double CD set.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice post!

I totally agree with you.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 pm

I Always like the bootlegs, At full blast is a fantastic show
Blazing into darkness is much less, but all those bootlegs can not compensate for the total package of 3000 South Paradise Road.The whole atmosphere that exudes from the CD invites the CD to spin again, and again to read the booklet.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:30 pm

I just got this today and I've been listening to the concert CD.

Frankly, I'm taken aback by how good the sound is. Aside from being in mono it sounds to me as good as a regular RCA recording. That Elvis was in excellent voice and giving a professional performance just makes it even better. The show seems not far off the giddy heights reached in August 1970.

Why, oh why, oh why couldn't he have maintained this level of committment ? I guess we know the answers to that - but this CD has put a big smile on my face now that I am into my 51st year of being an Elvis fan.

I haven't listened to the rehearsals CD yet but the live show alone is a real winner.

Steve Morse

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I, too think... the overall package..is fantastic..

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I love this release from Ftd of August 12th (Dinner Show )and August 4th ( Rehearsals ) . Ftd has come up yet again with the goods -Great songs rehearsed such as You've Lost That Lovin Feelin , Burning Love , What Now My Love ( 2 Versions ) And even a song from '69 - True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - On -True Love Travels On A Gravel Road you can witness Elvis vocals is as strong as in '69 -Love It - How great it is - Overall the cd of this release is an enjoyable one -as we travel back to the Summer of 72 .
The Live segment as on disc 1 is great too - Love It as I do -for all FTD Releases -

Hope they produce more gems like this -

Just Lovin this cd so immensely - Thanks Ftd in producing yet another gem for us to enjoy - I just hope and pray that they will carry on producing more like this -

::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 am

My FTD's arrived yesterday.

While I haven't heard a note yet from the CD's - WOW - the packaging of "3000 South Paradise Road" is absolutely fantastic. VERY well done. There are some really, REALLY nice pictures in the booklet, as well as informative liner notes.

Now I can't wait to hear it . . .

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 pm

had another 'great evening' Enjoying the great sound on the 11/8/72 D/S.... love the Telly Sevalas intro(remember he also got an intro at Elvis's 19/8/74 O/S!) and as he starts 'an American Trilogy' he asks...'.how do you like it so far?' just like he did b4 unchained melody on 21/6/77! great show VERY professional :D

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm

This package is good looking but I can't help but think the rehearsal is just a little boring. It's a run through. Everybody knows their part and they execute like it's a show. I felt sad when I heard him walk through a bland My Babe. That is when I decided this is boring. Elvis is bored. There is no performance that is anymore than competent. There's no fire anywhere.

Once we finish our usual listening routine for a release like this and file it away in our collection, I doubt many of us will ever revisit it again. It's all just standard fare, in crappy sound.

The concert is his standard professional but excitement deprived exercise from August 1972. It's not an engagement I revisit often. MSG without the fire. This is a good package documenting where Elvis was at in August, 1972, not much more nor less.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm

stevelecher wrote:This package is good looking but I can't help but think the rehearsal is just a little boring. It's a run through. Everybody knows their part and they execute like it's a show. I felt sad when I heard him walk through a bland My Babe. That is when I decided this is boring. Elvis is bored. There is no performance that is anymore than competent. There's no fire anywhere.

Once we finish our usual listening routine for a release like this and file it away in our collection, I doubt many of us will ever revisit it again. It's all just standard fare, in crappy sound.

The concert is his standard professional but excitement deprived exercise from August 1972. It's not an engagement I revisit often. MSG without the fire. This is a good package documenting where Elvis was at in August, 1972, not much more nor less.

Yeah I felt sad after hearing My Babe too. SHAME ON ELVIS for not giving 110% during a rehearsal that we were never meant to hear in the first place!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm

stevelecher wrote:This package is good looking but I can't help but think the rehearsal is just a little boring. It's a run through. Everybody knows their part and they execute like it's a show. I felt sad when I heard him walk through a bland My Babe. That is when I decided this is boring. Elvis is bored. There is no performance that is anymore than competent. There's no fire anywhere.

I guess you would have had to have been there in front of the stage.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Jokerlola wrote:

Yeah I felt sad after hearing My Babe too. SHAME ON ELVIS for not giving 110% during a rehearsal that we were never meant to hear in the first place!

Well, the My Babe I heard that was performed for an audience at the time, had the same enthusism from Elvis. You'll admit it's a few notches below 1969 power.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 am

stevelecher wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:

Well, the My Babe I heard that was performed for an audience at the time, had the same enthusism from Elvis. You'll admit it's a few notches below 1969 power.

Yes, but in your post you were citing the "run through" of My Babe in the rehearsal in 3000 South Paradise Road.

A lot of people fault Elvis for poor performances in Vegas and he should be faulted but you have to remember, in Vegas he wasn't always performing to 2000 enthusiastic fans. A lot of the time many if not most in the audience were not necessarily Elvis fans. Many were high rollers who got the show comped because they they gamble a lot of money. Many were just tourists who came to see what was considered the hottest show in town. In a book that Willie Nelson wrote some years ago he told about seeing Elvis in Vegas and how the audience was giving him very little reaction. He said he felt like jumping up on a table and yelling to the audience, "Don't you realize you are watching Elvis Presley?" He said that Vegas was not a good place for Elvis. That was the trouble with Vegas that no one really talks about; It wasn't just Elvis fans who bought the tickets in advance and planed the whole thing. It was also high roller gamblers who went because it was a "comped" show and it was tourists who just went on a whim.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 am

Jokerlola:

More apologists giving reasons why Elvis shouldn't have performed up to par. I don't believe when Elvis was on, he ever had audiences that didn't react. Your post reminds me of the quote from Elvis at the closing show from 9-73, when he says, "Thank you for that lukewarm, polite applause," when the fact was he hadn't done a performance that warranted great applause. Then, when he gave a great performance of HGTA and the showroom exploded, he said, "It was about time they showed appreciation for something." Maybe he expected pandemonium with little effort but I think maybe audiences should have sometimes held him to a higher standard.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:46 am

stevelecher wrote:Jokerlola:

More apologists giving reasons why Elvis shouldn't have performed up to par. I don't believe when Elvis was on, he ever had audiences that didn't react. Your post reminds me of the quote from Elvis at the closing show from 9-73, when he says, "Thank you for that lukewarm, polite applause," when the fact was he hadn't done a performance that warranted great applause. Then, when he gave a great performance of HGTA and the showroom exploded, he said, "It was about time they showed appreciation for something." Maybe he expected pandemonium with little effort but I think maybe audiences should have sometimes held him to a higher standard.

I agree with you there. that is only more proof that he should have quit las vegas along time ago.

It wasn't just the fact that he played las vegas, it was the sheer number of shows.

4 weeks. 2 shows a night for 5 years til they finally cut it down a bit.

A week at a time and one show a night would have been fine for that town, one engagement a year.

He didn't do Lake Tahoe nearly as much and his shows were generally better because it didn't get old as fast.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 am

Don't think Jokerlola is apologizing for Elvis, just stating fact. I saw Elvis twice, once in Vegas August 73 and once in Denver 76. They were both good performances but it was like apples and oranges. The Denver show was like nothing I had ever seen before and will probably never see again in terms of audience reaction and the whole worship thing. Vegas was way different. Polite applause, seated throughout the show even when he first came out, several fans there but many who you could tell weren't that enthusiastic as well. So I could see how Vegas became a grind to him. I think after the newness wore off after 70, by 71, he was just another performer to Vegas even if he was still the biggest draw. He became just another show to entice gamblers with because after all, that was and still is the name of the game in Vegas.

I've been to a lot of shows in Vegas and it's always galling how the "high rollers" get the best seats and can even bump people who have paid for a show while they get in for free. There is a scene in TTWII where Elvis is singing Heartbreak Hotel I think and there's a white haired gangster type glaring at him from one of the close tables. I always felt sorry for Elvis having to perform for people like that.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am

I finally got around to listening to the entire concert.

"See See Rider" & "Proud Mary" were hot and rockin'! James Burton's playing really shines and Elvis seemed very enthusiastic!

However, "Until it's Time For You To Go" was a downer to listen to following the first two songs, and the momentum of the show never really got back on track after that, in my opinion.

Elvis and the musicians/orchestra/back-up singers gave a very solid performance on "An American Trilogy".

Am I glad I bought the set? Yeah, I guess so.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 am

eligain wrote:

Don't think Jokerlola is apologizing for Elvis, just stating fact. I saw Elvis twice, once in Vegas August 73 and once in Denver 76. They were both good performances but it was like apples and oranges. The Denver show was like nothing I had ever seen before and will probably never see again in terms of audience reaction and the whole worship thing. Vegas was way different. Polite applause, seated throughout the show even when he first came out, several fans there but many who you could tell weren't that enthusiastic as well. So I could see how Vegas became a grind to him. I think after the newness wore off after 70, by 71, he was just another performer to Vegas even if he was still the biggest draw. He became just another show to entice gamblers with because after all, that was and still is the name of the game in Vegas.

I've been to a lot of shows in Vegas and it's always galling how the "high rollers" get the best seats and can even bump people who have paid for a show while they get in for free. There is a scene in TTWII where Elvis is singing Heartbreak Hotel I think and there's a white haired gangster type glaring at him from one of the close tables. I always felt sorry for Elvis having to perform for people like that.

Add to that Elvis' strong suspicion that he was working as a way to pay down his manager's gambling debts.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 am

I was a little harsh in my review of this show. The concert is quite entertaining and EP is in good form. I like the rasp in his voice I heard a couple of times. I'll stand by my statement that the rehearsal, especially in this kind of sound quality, is kind of boring. The only song they don't have down exactly is My Way.