Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Ed Sullivan Show DVD HELP!!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:27 pm

hello guys. I need your help with something. I heard that there is a dvd set with the Ed Sullivan shows but I found out that there are 2 versions of it. One with 3 discs and one with 1 disc. I know that the single disc has only the Elvis stuff but are there any other differences ? What would you suggest me to buy ?

Re: The Ed Sullivan Show DVD HELP!!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm

The 3 disc release is the one to get.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Very simple. If you want the historical aspect of things and see the complete shows as they were shown on TV, get the 3 disc set. If you dont want to sit thru the shows and just want to view Elvs, the 1 disc will do. The shows arent that great besides Elvis!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I have had the 3-DVD set for a while. I enjoy the idea of having the entire shows, but as someone else said, they rest of the show isn't that great. My 11 year old son gets a kick of how everyone goes nuts when Elvis sings, or breathes, and then Ed introduces the next act, which is a lame magician or something, and it's like the audience is in a coma. We decided to browse all three episodes just to view the crowd reaction when Elvis came out and the reaction of the act that followed. It's hilarious.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 pm

r&b wrote:Very simple. If you want the historical aspect of things and see the complete shows as they were shown on TV, get the 3 disc set. If you dont want to sit thru the shows and just want to view Elvs, the 1 disc will do. The shows arent that great besides Elvis!

showfan wrote:I have had the 3-DVD set for a while. I enjoy the idea of having the entire shows, but as someone else said, they rest of the show isn't that great. My 11 year old son gets a kick of how everyone goes nuts when Elvis sings, or breathes, and then Ed introduces the next act, which is a lame magician or something, and it's like the audience is in a coma. We decided to browse all three episodes just to view the crowd reaction when Elvis came out and the reaction of the act that followed. It's hilarious.

If you want to see how Elvis blew up popular culture in 1956, you must own the three DVD set.

Not only do you get (most of) the original broadcasts from 9-09-1956, 10-28-1956 and 1-06-1957, but you also have the option on each disc of just watching Elvis' performances. There are additional bonuses, including the 8-07-1955 Magnolia Gardens (Houston, TX) color footage.

The restoration by LiveFeed Video Imaging -- the finest ever done on these fifty-six year-old kinescopes -- makes Elvis come alive like never before. Here are some examples:

phpBB [video]

Elvis - "Love Me Tender" (Los Angeles, September 9, 1956)
Restored by LiveFeed Video Imaging

phpBB [video]

Elvis - "Hound Dog" (New York, October 28, 1956)

There are plenty of worthy performers on the three programs, some legendary.

Elvis: The Ed Sullivan Shows (Sofa Entertainment)

DVD 1
The Brothers Amin (acrobats)
Dorothy Sarnoff: "Something Wonderful" (from "The King and I")
The Vagabonds: "Up The Lazy River"
Elvis: "Don't Be Cruel"
Elvis: "Love Me Tender"
Conn and Mack (tap-dancing duo)
Guest host Charles Laughton reads "The Little Girl and the Wolf"
Amru Sani: "I'm In The Mood For Love"
Carl Ballantine (comedy and magic)
Toby the Dog (novelty act)
Elvis: "Ready Teddy"
Elvis: "Hound Dog"

DVD 2
The Little Gaelic Singers Of County Derry
Senor Wences (ventriloquist)
Elvis: "Love Me"
Joyce Grenfell: "Countess of Cotley"
Cast of Broadway musical "The Most Happy Fella": "Happy To Make Your Acquaintance" and "Big D"

The One and Only Unus! (balancing act)

DVD 3
Elvis: "Hound Dog" - "Love Me Tender" - "Heartbreak Hotel"
Elvis: "Don't Be Cruel
Arthur Worsley (ventriloquist )
Will Jordan (Ed Sullivan impressionist)
Carol Burnett (comedy)
Elvis: "Too Much"
Elvis: "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again"
Nanci Crompton (ballet dancer)
Leny Eversong: "El Cubanchero"

The Six Gutis (German clown act)
Bory and Bor (comedy dance)
Leny Eversong: "Jezebel"
Elvis: "Peace In The Valley"

Elvis is so different from everything else on these broadcasts, the contrast is startling, and thrilling.

Few remember Sullivan did not make the first show because he'd been hurt in an auto accident. Actor Charles Laughton was the fill-in host that Sunday night, and he did a great job. Plus, Elvis wasn't even in New York for the first show, he was live from the CBS-TV studios in Los Angeles, giving him his own private audience in California for his songs.

Again, if you really care about who Elvis was, and how he shaped America, context is absolutely essential. And the three DVD set is actually not too expensive in any case.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

thank you all for your help. ItS the 3 disc set the one I choose. ::rocks

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:39 am

Please post here again after you have thoroughly enjoyed the DVDs!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 am

CHR1S wrote: Its the 3 disc set the one I choose.

At a price difference of only about 4 dollars you made a wise choice, CHR1S.

3-disc set >> http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-Ed- ... IVAN+SHOWS

1 disc >> http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-Sul ... IVAN+SHOWS

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:23 am

It was hard to watch this time capsule.
I can't even imagine how Elvis must have
stood out at the time. For me, he was
the only thing worth watching on the show.

Sometimes when we revisit history our heroes
don't quite live up to their legends. But in this
case - Elvis did.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:32 pm

hey guys I got the dvd set today but I have a question.I found the package very strange. It is a strandard dvd case but instead of having different trays for each disc they are all on top of each other!!!!At first I thought that it was a single disc but I found the rest of them unnderneath. Is that the original case or am I getting a re-release?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm

The 3 disk is fantastic, I love this release

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 pm

robg wrote:
CHR1S wrote:hey guys I got the dvd set today but I have a question.I found the package very strange. It is a strandard dvd case but instead of having different trays for each disc they are all on top of each other!!!!At first I thought that it was a single disc but I found the rest of them unnderneath. Is that the original case or am I getting a re-release?

Re-release original folds out and DVDs in seperate trays

thanks for the info!! ::rocks

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 am

Magnolia Gardens (Houston, TX) color footage.

what's that?

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Very simple. If you want the historical aspect of things and see the complete shows as they were shown on TV, get the 3 disc set. If you dont want to sit thru the shows and just want to view Elvs, the 1 disc will do. The shows arent that great besides Elvis!

showfan wrote:I have had the 3-DVD set for a while. I enjoy the idea of having the entire shows, but as someone else said, they rest of the show isn't that great. My 11 year old son gets a kick of how everyone goes nuts when Elvis sings, or breathes, and then Ed introduces the next act, which is a lame magician or something, and it's like the audience is in a coma. We decided to browse all three episodes just to view the crowd reaction when Elvis came out and the reaction of the act that followed. It's hilarious.

If you want to see how Elvis blew up popular culture in 1956, you must own the three DVD set.

Not only do you get (most of) the original broadcasts from 9-09-1956, 10-28-1956 and 1-06-1957, but you also have the option on each disc of just watching Elvis' performances. There are additional bonuses, including the 8-07-1955 Magnolia Gardens (Houston, TX) color footage.

The restoration by LiveFeed Video Imaging -- the finest ever done on these fifty-six year-old kinescopes -- makes Elvis come alive like never before. Here are some examples:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

DVD 1

DVD 2
Cast of Broadway musical "The Most Happy Fella": "Happy To Make Your Acquaintance" and "Big D"

DVD 3
Carol Burnett (comedy)

th

Elvis is so different from everything else on these broadcasts, the contrast is startling, and thrilling.

Few remember Sullivan did not make the first show because he'd been hurt in an auto accident. Actor Charles Laughton was the fill-in host that Sunday night, and he did a great job. Plus, Elvis wasn't even in New York for the first show, he was live from the CBS-TV studios in Los Angeles, giving him his own private audience in California for his songs.

Again, if you really care about who Elvis was, and how he shaped America, context is absolutely essential. And the three DVD set is actually not too expensive in any case.

Holy **** ! Thanks for finding these Youtube versions from the set, man these look great! Even the sound seems to have more depth. I have to get these on my shelf ASAP! Thank you Doc for your trouble of posting these!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:08 am

It would be interesting to ask people who've had the set since it came out something. Which DVD set do you watch more, the Sullivan shows, or the Deluxe '68 Comeback DVDs?

Certainly, these are towering, historically, especially WITH the context surrounding him. But as for pure musical pleasure, I have to say I've only played the set a few times. I cannot COUNT how many times I've played the '68 set. Dozens, at least. At least. Plus, I watched it all very differently. The performances are beautifully restored, so you see everything (except for what they didn't let you see ;) ), yet I didn't have the urge to hit the pause button. It was nice to take in the experience, and imagine what it was like to be the "right age" then. But, to me, the '68 music -- and the visuals, cut it all to pieces. On the other hand, you could argue that Sullivan was not his '56 peak, save for a few performances. ("Peace in the Valley" is the one for me.)

I'm not putting down the early TV stuff, understand, but it's just an observation. It maybe doesn't make historical sense or anything. Or it could be, that the '68 music was on the first Elvis record I ever bought, which was the Special soundtrack. (And so I am "poisoned" in that sense.)

rjm

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:06 am

I just finished the first disc and Im very pleased!!So far the set looks great and I really enjoyed the show, not boring at all.
Last edited by CHR1S on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 am

lpa wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Magnolia Gardens (Houston, TX) color footage.

what's that?

Fan film of Elvis, from an afternoon performance with Scotty and Bill. It's really cool.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 am

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

DVD 1

DVD 2

DVD 3
Carol Burnett (comedy)

Holy **** ! Thanks for finding these Youtube versions from the set, man these look great! Even the sound seems to have more depth. I have to get these on my shelf ASAP! Thank you Doc for your trouble of posting these!

You're welcome! The 3 DVD set is awesome.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 am

CHR1S wrote:I just finished the first disc and Im very pleased!!So far the set looks great and I really enjoed the show not boring at all.

That is great to read! Guest host Charles Laughton was a hoot on that September broadcast, too.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 am

I finished the set last night.I really enjoed the shows , the set was very well done. I want to thank all who suggested the 3 disc version!! ::rocks

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 pm

CHR1S wrote:I finished the set last night.I really enjoed the shows , the set was very well done. I want to thank all who suggested the 3 disc version!! ::rocks

It's an amazing document of something that had not happened before. Glad you got it!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 am

I really love this 3 DVD set. Next to the First Milton Berle Show and the Sinatra Timex special, I always find it historically enjoyable to see everything else about the shows of the time. Elvis seems so wild in comparison to everything else. He really was shaking up establishment with that rebel spirit. It would be so cool if we could see all the 6 Dorsey Bros. shows in full or the second Milton Berle show and that Steve Allen show. Does anybody know if these even exist in full?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 am

jjsmith wrote:I really love this 3 DVD set. Next to the First Milton Berle Show and the Sinatra Timex special, I always find it historically enjoyable to see everything else about the shows of the time. Elvis seems so wild in comparison to everything else. He really was shaking up establishment with that rebel spirit. It would be so cool if we could see all the 6 Dorsey Bros. shows in full or the second Milton Berle show and that Steve Allen show. Does anybody know if these even exist in full?

No idea, but a release of the six "Stage Show" appearances would force you to redefine your definition of "wild."

Maybe someday aficionados will have it all, in great quality, but I suspect most first-generation fans will not be among them.