Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hard rock songs Elvis could have done

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 am

It's a shame Achy Breaky Heart wasn't written earlier.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:34 am

It's pretty clear to me that the question directed at Elvis wasn't about heavy metal, by "hard rock" they were referring to the types of songs that made Elvis famous. Why wasn't he recording more Hound Dog, My Baby Left Me, Jailhouse Rock, One Night type of songs? And of course he had just recorded one - Burning Love - but his heart was in other kinds of songs in the 70's.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:14 am

Lonely Summer wrote:It's pretty clear to me that the question directed at Elvis wasn't about heavy metal, by "hard rock" they were referring to the types of songs that made Elvis famous. Why wasn't he recording more Hound Dog, My Baby Left Me, Jailhouse Rock, One Night type of songs? And of course he had just recorded one - Burning Love - but his heart was in other kinds of songs in the 70's.

If you are referring to the question asked by the reporter at the MSG press conference.

I think the reporter was actually asking Elvis why he didn't record any hard rock songs like Led Zeppelin, Deep purple etc.

I always thought Elvis misunderstood the question and his reply was about rock songs in general.

As you know there are many different sub genre's of rock n' roll.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 am

I agree that Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll would have been a great song for Elvis to record or at least perform live. Hey, what about BTO's Takin Care of Business? I know that the song is basically about being a slacker but the title alone should garner some consideration.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:47 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Depends on what you call hard rock. CCR? Yeah, there are many of their songs besides Proud Mary that would've worked for Elvis. Led Zeppelin? Forget it. Although Dread Zeppelin gave us a pretty good idea of what the mix would sound like!

What are you talking about? :wtf: "Led Zeppelin? Forget it." :facep: 8)

http://youtu.be/G3-oMr8_IWg

http://youtu.be/vzzBAMb3zVM

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:52 am

dreambear wrote:Not a hard rock song at all, but lyrically, maybe Abba┬┤s "Knowing me, knowing you" could have fitted. Elvis almost did some Abba-ish songs like Moody blue or Way down.

Way Down is a rocker!!!!! 8)

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 am

r&b wrote:I dont think hard rock like Zep or Miss Queen would have been good, but good rock and roll would have been like Traveling Band or Bad Moon Rising from CCR, or getting into a more funky groove The Weight by the Band or Lean On Me by Bill Withers. All perfect songs for Elvis.

Lean on me isn't even close to be being hard rock, and it's not a rock song! :wtf:

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 am

No, I think the MSG question was in reference to the change of style in Elvis' music. Why in the world would anyone think Elvis would wanna cover Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin? I suppose you guys would like to have heard him do some Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult, too :facep: Elvis doing War Pigs or Don't Fear the Reaper....sure..... :roll:

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:25 am

Lonely Summer wrote:No, I think the MSG question was in reference to the change of style in Elvis' music. Why in the world would anyone think Elvis would wanna cover Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin? I suppose you guys would like to have heard him do some Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult, too :facep: Elvis doing War Pigs or Don't Fear the Reaper....sure..... :roll:

The reporter was basically asking Elvis why he didn't try and do some hard rock.

Notice that he says hard rock not rock or rock n' roll.

Back then there wasn't many books about Elvis and he rarely spoke to the press or gave interviews.

So how was the reporter to know that Elvis didn't care for that type of music.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:46 am

Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult of course not. 99% of Led Zep songs would not be suitable for Elvis. Rock and Roll is the only Zeppelin song that comes to mind. When I think of hard rock songs that Elvis could have done, I'm not talking about the heavier stuff that borders on heavy metal. I guess the term "hard rock" is subject to everyone's own interpenetration. I consider groups like Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grand Funk etc. to be hard rock.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 am

dr borgo wrote:Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult of course not. 99% of Led Zep songs would not be suitable for Elvis. Rock and Roll is the only Zeppelin song that comes to mind. When I think of hard rock songs that Elvis could have done, I'm not talking about the heavier stuff that borders on heavy metal. I guess the term "hard rock" is subject to everyone's own interpenetration. I consider groups like Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grand Funk etc. to be hard rock.

I CAN imagine Elvis doing TCB (or even You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet), Can't Get Enough, Sweet Home Alabama....but sadly he had lost most of his love for rock and roll by that time.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 am

I think that "Whatever You Want" from Status Quo Would have being a great song for him to perform :mrgreen:

Mahalo from Ron :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Not sure how good it would have sounded with Elvis performing someone else's already well known hard rock song. I think a better result would have for Elvis to record a song(s) written and produced FOR Elvis by some of the hard rock acts of the day. I'm sure many of them would have been honored to do so.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 pm

rocknroll wrote:Not sure how good it would have sounded with Elvis performing someone else's already well known hard rock song. I think a better result would have for Elvis to record a song(s) written and produced FOR Elvis by some of the hard rock acts of the day. I'm sure many of them would have been honored to do so.

Lennon, McCartney, Elton, eventually Bruce, any of them would have been thrilled to write a rock song for Elvis. Roy Wood supposedly did. Elvis was not interested and the reply he gave at the MSG was typical and evasive. If he wanted to, he could have reached out and asked these folks for a song. And he already had Burning Love in the can, so why did he answer the reporter the way he did? Its all very strange.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:05 pm

I always thought that he could do the Guess Who's These Eyes, in his Any Day Now voice. I read somewhere that Led Zeppelin offered to be his house band. Imagine such a recording session! He certainly could have pulled off their bluesy style and I think he would have killed doing D'yer Mak'er, When The Levee Breaks, Rock and Roll (in his 68 comeback voice) If Elvis had explored the realm of hard rock, he would have flourished instead of languished in the 70s.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 pm

r&b wrote:
rocknroll wrote:Not sure how good it would have sounded with Elvis performing someone else's already well known hard rock song. I think a better result would have for Elvis to record a song(s) written and produced FOR Elvis by some of the hard rock acts of the day. I'm sure many of them would have been honored to do so.

Lennon, McCartney, Elton, eventually Bruce, any of them would have been thrilled to write a rock song for Elvis. Roy Wood supposedly did. Elvis was not interested and the reply he gave at the MSG was typical and evasive. If he wanted to, he could have reached out and asked these folks for a song. And he already had Burning Love in the can, so why did he answer the reporter the way he did? Its all very strange.

Because in the 1970s the music business had changed.

in the early years of rock n' roll there were several non performing rock n' roll songwriters that wrote for Elvis like Leiber & Stoller, Otis Blackwell, Aaron Schroder and Pomus & Shuman.

By the 1970s all the best rock songs were being self written by all the top rock bands and they were keeping those songs for themselves to sing.

There was no non performing rock songwriter for hire in the 1970s to write rock songs for Elvis like there had been in the early years.

That's what Elvis meant when he said good rock songs were hard to find.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 am

I alway thought Elvis would do a great job on "Full Force Gale" by singer-songwriter Van Morrison. It was included on his 1979 album Into the Music.
Here is a link to a live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENwPooHrwgE

certainly has a gospel feel that elvis would dig

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 am

I alway thought Elvis would do a great job on "Full Force Gale" by singer-songwriter Van Morrison. It was included on his 1979 album Into the Music.
Here is a link to a live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENwPooHrwgE

certainly has a gospel feel that elvis would dig

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:17 am

We know Elvis liked Bob Dylan as a songwriter, would've been interesting to hear him tackle some of Bob's gospel stuff. "Pressing On" from the 'Saved' album would've been a good one for him to sink his vocal chops into.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:47 am

Maybe Stairway to Heaven from Led Zeppelin could be a nice try. And Black Dog and Rock and Roll, too.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:05 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Maybe Stairway to Heaven from Led Zeppelin could be a nice try. And Black Dog and Rock and Roll, too.

Or Highway to Hell by AC/DC. Or if he had lived long enough, some Nirvana (Rape Me) or Alice in Chains (The Rooster).

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Maybe Stairway to Heaven from Led Zeppelin could be a nice try. And Black Dog and Rock and Roll, too.

Or Highway to Hell by AC/DC. Or if he had lived long enough, some Nirvana (Rape Me) or Alice in Chains (The Rooster).

If we are going to music after elvis died then there are lots of great rock songs and power ballads elvis would have done well !!!