Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi there fellows, this song is my all time favourite. Would anyone know if there are more complete alternate versions still in Ernst Jorgensens vaults? On the FTD-version of Elvis-That's The Way It Is we got takes 1 to 6 plus mastertake 9. I don't think Jorgensen would deliberately keep takes 7 and 8 if they are more than snippets or false starts. I for one would love every second of these recordings, I love the rhythm. Maybe some tape is missing, or these takes were recorded over, please shed more light on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm

One of my favorite songs as well and I made a topic regarding the master almost a year ago.
The master has 2 small errors in them.....one is Elvis voice and another is probably mastering fault
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67624
I really hope there are 1 or 2 complete takes in the vault of this song (take7,8)....its not that FTD gives us every take on a classic release.
FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BOULEVARD-FTD is a good excample as we have a LOT of takes....including complete ones that is only available on boots.
PROMISED LAND FTD is another.

Image

http://keithflynn.com/

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:19 pm

drghanem wrote:Hi there fellows, this song is my all time favourite. Would anyone know if there are more complete alternate versions still in Ernst Jorgensens vaults? On the FTD-version of Elvis-That's The Way It Is we got takes 1 to 6 plus mastertake 9. I don't think Jorgensen would deliberately keep takes 7 and 8 if they are more than snippets or false starts. I for one would love every second of these recordings, I love the rhythm. Maybe some tape is missing, or these takes were recorded over, please shed more light on this.


You're right that only takes 7 and 8 are left from the 1970 studio session. No idea of their status. You know about the rehearsal versions from July 15, 24 and 29, yes?

Also, were you pleased when the song was used in a 2009 U.S. advertisement for Coca-Cola? It apparently first ran during that year's Super Bowl.

phpBB [video]

Coca-Cola Avatar

It's a nice example of someone recognizing the song's romantic nature could play well in the 21st century, and hopefully someone at RCA had something to do with it. 1,378,244 views is nothing to snicker at. And the great Cee-Lo did the singing!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 pm

One of my favourite Elvis tracks.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I like the studio version a lot...the live version isn`t my cup of coffee, though..too much horn..

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I like the studio version a lot...the live version isn`t my cup of coffee, though..too much horn..


Hey, fans only have one known performance, from the 8-13-1970 DS. Beggars can't be choosers!

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I like the studio version a lot...the live version isn`t my cup of coffee, though..too much horn..


Hey, fans only have one known performance, from the 8-13-1970 DS. Beggars can't be choosers!


Of course, John..you are right..I don`t want to miss the live version,..anyway..

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Of course, John..you are right..I don`t want to miss the live version,..anyway..


Very good, Joachim. ;-)

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 am

It's always been one of my top 3 favourites and my biggest disappointment was the lack of complete alternates on the TTWII FTD cds.
I wonder if it would have been a hit if released as a single.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 am

lucio wrote:It's always been one of my top 3 favourites and my biggest disappointment was the lack of complete alternates on the TTWII FTD cds.


Same here :(

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am

I have always loved this song since I first heard it on the original album. I've always wondered why it didn't come up as a singles side back then. I always hoped for a single like this: Stranger In The Crowd/Just Pretend 8)

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 am

phpBB [video]

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 am

No love for Cee-Lo ... :-(

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:06 am

Ciscoking wrote:I like the studio version a lot...the live version isn`t my cup of coffee, though..too much horn..


I think the last or second to last version sung at the rehearsals was better than the studio version.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No love for Cee-Lo ... :-(



I'm afraid I don't even know who Cee-Lo is :oops:

Love that song to bits though. I fair wore out the record back in the day, and nice to see that ad, which I'd never seen.
Unfortunately it's the one LP of Elvis that got lost in my moves and my mother's clear-outs :cry:

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:46 am

Great song great advert and i like the 'live' version too!~ :D

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No love for Cee-Lo ... :-(


"Forget You" is one of the best radio friendly 'pop' songs I've heard for a very very long time. I caught "Run Rudolph Run" the other day on TV and thought it was a fine little ditty. He’s obviously listened intensely to Elvis’ “Stranger In The Crowd” so that pleases me. Then there is the cover of Buddy Holly’s cover of Elvis’ “(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care”. Cee-Lo is just fine in my book.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the help fellows, and yes Dr Carpenter I love the rehearsals versions also. However great as Ronnie Tutt is, to me nothing beats Jerry Carrigans work at the original studio-session. I honestly think that something might have happened to the last takes, they may have been recorded on a different reel and the may only be false starts. I don´t think Ernst would prevent us from hearing complete versions. Anyway I love what we've got. Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nLM8eu4WhU

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 pm

SITC had much more single potential than I've Lost You or even You Dont Have To Say You Love Me , a recent hit by Dusty 4 years prior. This song is catchy with great hooks and would sound great on the radio, everything a hit single needs. Why was it passed over?

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 am

JaneTLC wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No love for Cee-Lo ... :-(



I'm afraid I don't even know who Cee-Lo is :oops:


It's his voice on the Coca Cola commercial.
He's one of the biggest singer-songwriter-rapper-producers in the world:

Cee Lo Green
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cee_Lo_Green


Julian Grant wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No love for Cee-Lo ... :-(


"Forget You" is one of the best radio friendly 'pop' songs I've heard for a very very long time. I caught "Run Rudolph Run" the other day on TV and thought it was a fine little ditty. He’s obviously listened intensely to Elvis’ “Stranger In The Crowd” so that pleases me. Then there is the cover of Buddy Holly’s cover of Elvis’ “(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care”. Cee-Lo is just fine in my book.


LOVE for Cee-Lo! Yes!! :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No love for Cee-Lo ... :-(



I'm afraid I don't even know who Cee-Lo is :oops:


It's his voice on the Coca Cola commercial.
He's one of the biggest singer-songwriter-rapper-producers in the world:


Oh, I realised that, I had just never heard of him before.
I don't like rap and actively avoid it. People know that and deliberately choose it on SongPop :evil:
So I choose classical. Usually sorts'em out :twisted:

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 pm

I love the goodlooking women in the video to Cee Lo's "forget you" (f*** you).
Mmmm I love chocolate... and I like Cee Lo's style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drghanem wrote:Hi there fellows, this song is my all time favourite. Would anyone know if there are more complete alternate versions still in Ernst Jorgensens vaults? On the FTD-version of Elvis-That's The Way It Is we got takes 1 to 6 plus mastertake 9. I don't think Jorgensen would deliberately keep takes 7 and 8 if they are more than snippets or false starts. I for one would love every second of these recordings, I love the rhythm. Maybe some tape is missing, or these takes were recorded over, please shed more light on this.


You're right that only takes 7 and 8 are left from the 1970 studio session. No idea of their status. You know about the rehearsal versions from July 15, 24 and 29, yes?

Also, were you pleased when the song was used in a 2009 U.S. advertisement for Coca-Cola? It apparently first ran during that year's Super Bowl.

phpBB [video]

Coca-Cola Avatar

It's a nice example of someone recognizing the song's romantic nature could play well in the 21st century, and hopefully someone at RCA had something to do with it. 1,378,244 views is nothing to snicker at. And the great Cee-Lo did the singing!

Good find Doc! I wonder how Cee- Lo came agross Stanger in the Crowd? He took Elvis' style on this song so he obviously heard it but that's great. I like that he sings it. I am a fan of his. I believe it would have mad a good single for Elvis in 1970, possibly.

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:01 pm

came across this edit today, lol
phpBB [video]

Re: Stranger In The Crowd

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:30 am

JaneTLC wrote:Oh, I realised that, I had just never heard of him before.
I don't like rap and actively avoid it.


That's too bad. Cee Lo is not exclusively rap, as evidenced by his work on the remake of "Stranger in the Crowd."

Many like him are as open. The hip-hop genre is more diverse and enriching than you may suspect, and is no different in today's popular culture than the R&B and blues that influenced a teenaged Elvis Presley in the early 1950s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music