Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 am

JEFF d wrote:
frus75 wrote:Soundwise I am like with food or wine. I only care if I like it or not. And after all this critizism I was a bit scared. Finally, yesterday, the set arrived to my hands. I love it. I simply do. I confess on concerts I demand a sound different to studio recordings. But I won't mask it, I am guilty of loving this release.

BTW, I got FEPB. Somehow the jungle room sessions cd mid frequencies always annoyed me (I am weird I confess it!!). Jean Marc has delivered his usual natural low bass and has fixed it. Love it too!!!

I agree on ALL points brother!

JEFF d
EP fan

My brother Jeff .... One of the most honest guys I've ever known.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm

There's the 68 Comeback, TTWII, ELVIS ON TOUR, and ALOHA - the big four - Elvis at MSG was always in the equation as an Elvis landmark - now however we have fantastic footage with the PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET release and it rightly takes its place among those amazing career milestones...

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 pm

ML4EP wrote:MSG is a terrific series of performances, and some have said Elvis was even better a week later at Chicago Stadium. I also remember reading somewhere that Elvis appeared tired and unenthusiastic at Fort Worth and Wichita on the tail end of this tour, that he had already given his best at MSG and Chicago. It's good to hear that was not the case. This was a 12 day tour (as opposed to the two previous 15 day tours, and would eventually grow to 20 day tours in 1974) but if I am not mistaken they operated out of Chicago for 4-5 days of this tour, which should have allowed for more rest and recuperation if in fact that was the case.

If we could ever get RCA/BMG/FTD to release Hampton Roads we would have most of what you could wish for performance wise from this period. It ain't no big thang...just put the sumbitch out on FTD and we'll stop bugging y'all.

I wouldnt be surprised in the least if Elvis was tired and unthusiastic in Fort Worth and Wichita at the end of his June Tour. I mean look at what the man just did. He knocked them dead at MSG and Chicago and put on some high powered show's in between, no wonder he was tired. To me he sounded tired when he did his Texas show at the end of the April 72 tour and no wonder, the man gave everything he had. That being said I agree with you about FTD/BMG to release the Hampton Roads Concert. But lets face it I doubt it will ever happen.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 am

I came across a video on Youtube tonight, a BBC special about Elvis and Vegas. I don't believe I've ever seen this before.

Anyway, listen to what Ronnie Tutt has to say about MSG (it's in the first minute.) I've heard second hand accounts of Tutt's belief that the MSG album was sped up. Here, it come's from Ronnie himself. I don't doubt that he believes it to be true, but I just don't hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMm512vqm4

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:12 am

elvisjock wrote:Anyway, listen to what Ronnie Tutt has to say about MSG (it's in the first minute.) I've heard second hand accounts of Tutt's belief that the MSG album was sped up. Here, it come's from Ronnie himself. I don't doubt that he believes it to be true, but I just don't hear it.

I would love to know what Ronnie's opinion is now that Prince From Another Planet has been released.

When we talk about something being unnecessarily sped up, the song "Girl Happy" immediately comes to mind. The master take sounds so much better when speed-corrected.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:20 am

We know this isn't true right?
Really weird that a very experienced musician thinks this actually happened?

Or is there a difference between the original LP release and later CD releases?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 am

Blue River wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Anyway, listen to what Ronnie Tutt has to say about MSG (it's in the first minute.) I've heard second hand accounts of Tutt's belief that the MSG album was sped up. Here, it come's from Ronnie himself. I don't doubt that he believes it to be true, but I just don't hear it.

I would love to know what Ronnie's opinion is now that Prince From Another Planet has been released.

When we talk about something being unnecessarily sped up, the song "Girl Happy" immediately comes to mind. The master take sounds so much better when speed-corrected.

Do you think the group, "the chipmonks" sound better speed corrected too.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Can someone post pics of the 2-LP vinyl release if possible...

Either the Friday music release or RCA LEGACY

Cheers.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 am

The walk a mile in my shoes clip is pitched up, as are all Elvis' movie releases on PAL format. The reason why I only buy them on NTSC, takes the helium effect out of it.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:34 am

No problem finding a copy here in Chile :D

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 am

Just finished watching and listening again to the afternoon show. It is still thrilling to see. I don't think I will ever get tired of watching these clips with the great sound. The biggest Elvis surprise from 2012 was this set.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:Can someone post pics of the 2-LP vinyl release if possible...

Either the Friday music release or RCA LEGACY

Cheers.

Yep......would like some info/pictures regarding these releases as well

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

L Ray wrote:Just finished watching and listening again to the afternoon show. It is still thrilling to see. I don't think I will ever get tired of watching these clips with the great sound. The biggest Elvis surprise from 2012 was this set.

I love this set too!, but for me the biggest Elvis surprise from 2012 was the Sun boxset "A Boy From Tupelo" 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

L Ray wrote:Just finished watching and listening again to the afternoon show. It is still thrilling to see. I don't think I will ever get tired of watching these clips with the great sound. The biggest Elvis surprise from 2012 was this set.

I love this set too!, but for me the biggest Elvis surprise from 2012 was the Sun boxset "A Boy From Tupelo" 8). Bye for now :smt006.

He'll yeah! Great time to be an Elvis fan...

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:There's the 68 Comeback, TTWII, ELVIS ON TOUR, and ALOHA - the big four - Elvis at MSG was always in the equation as an Elvis landmark - now however we have fantastic footage with the PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET release and it rightly takes its place among those amazing career milestones...

The 4 professionally recorded. Also the CBS '77 show.

I have seen footage from PFAP on YouTube, and although it's decent it's not comparable to the other 5. I'm curious to see what Star does.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 am

"late period Elvis, all garish capes, high collars and sparkly jumpsuits going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves... not yet the bloated caricature captured in countless later photos."

All the critical cliches - not an original thought to call his own.

Prince From Another Planet is the best "reissue" to date its the DVD that sets it apart from the others. It's clear a bit of love has gone into this one. I was hoping this would establish a formula for whats to follow but with the new Aloha set with no DVD I'm not sure all the lessons have been learned but top marks for this release.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:There's the 68 Comeback, TTWII, ELVIS ON TOUR, and ALOHA - the big four - Elvis at MSG was always in the equation as an Elvis landmark - now however we have fantastic footage with the PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET release and it rightly takes its place among those amazing career milestones...

The 4 professionally recorded. Also the CBS '77 show.

I have seen footage from PFAP on YouTube, and although it's decent it's not comparable to the other 5. I'm curious to see what Star does.

The PRINCE package does more than enough to warrant a place among the top milestones of the King's stellar career - 20 mins of sheer bliss...

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 am

"late period Elvis, all garish capes, high collars and sparkly jumpsuits going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves... not yet the bloated caricature captured in countless later photos."

A bloated headed caricature of a critic ,repeating critical cliches that any snide lazy headed reviewer from 1977 onwards could have written. Not an original thought to call his own pandering to politically correct crowd with no individual discernment or ideas to call their own who compile ther record collections according to the written reviews and muso critics top 100.

Prince from Another Planet is the best "reissue" to date...the content, the sound, the packaging are first class and its a beautiful set and the DVD that sets it apart from ALL the others. Finally an Elvis album an event gets resepect ..theres an incentive to buy if you've heard, got it.. and seen it all before. And this from Legacy who lumped two very different original albums together put it in pretty packaging and called it Elvis is Back. You'd think having got it right this time.. subsequent releases would follow the formula but looking at the Aloha contents..no DVD it seems not. But thanks and credit where its due Prince From Another Planet is a emersive and exciting release that does Elvis good n' proud.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:24 pm

PFAP entered the Official UK Album Chart at No.74 for w/e 18th November, 2012. The No.73 album sold 2,398 units so it gives a good indication as to how many 'Prince' sold in its first week of release.

Brian

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:24 am

Brian Quinn wrote:PFAP entered the Official UK Album Chart at No.74 for w/e 18th November, 2012. The No.73 album sold 2,398 units so it gives a good indication as to how many 'Prince' sold in its first week of release.

Brian

Which is almost 50% as only 5K units were distributed in the UK..

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Is it me or the evening show sounds better than the afternoon one?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 pm

frus75 wrote:Is it me or the evening show sounds better than the afternoon one?

You're right...as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The drums are not so well defined for one. The best version of this show can be found on the import release: Operation Big Apple.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 pm

It does to me as well. I thoroughly enjoy the work Mike Brauer did with both of these recordings but he was limited to what was available on the multi-track tapes. For some reason, the drums sound distorted on the afternoon recording... on both the new remix and the original 1997 mix. I listen to the evening show now more than I ever did... I just love the new sound. :smt023

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

It does to me as well. I thoroughly enjoy the work Mike Brauer did with both of these recordings but he was limited to what was available on the multi-track tapes. For some reason, the drums sound distorted on the afternoon recording... on both the new remix and the original 1997 mix. I listen to the evening show now more than I ever did... I just love the new sound. :smt023

Me too it's fantastic, I love the MSG shows!

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Maybe, but I love them more than you do.