Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which ones ?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 am

I`d be interested in finding out some other correct dates for shows we have on tape. Perhpas anybody remembers any merits
or special incidents ..or celebrities at the shows..or just wants to share his memories,...in any case ..just post whatever you think is of interest for us..meaning ALL.... :lol: ....
Last edited by Ciscoking on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who attended 1969 Vegas concerts and which ones ?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 am

Sounds like you're working on something...

Re: Who attended 1969 Vegas concerts and which ones ?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 pm

I know the first show's not available, but still perhaps you might consider interviewing rock archivist Michael Ochs. Far as I know he and his brother Phil were there, but more important are his archives, and what he might have. I think his stuff is with Getty now, but not certain.

Whatever you're doing, it sounds fabulous. :D

rjm

Re: Who attended 1969 Vegas concerts and which ones ?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Try to find Rex Martin's Elvis News Service Weekly magazines from that period. They list every song for almost every concert only a week after the show.

Re: Who attended 1969 Vegas concerts and which ones ?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Diana Ross attended the August 24th MS...you can here this on the import "Here I Go Again".

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Mike ..I amended the title a bit..I wanted to know who us ..here... if a celeb wants to write his experience, though..don`t hesitate.. :wink:

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:19 pm

I am missing only issues 1 - 23 of the Elvis News Service Weekly, and IIRC it didn't start until 1970 / late 1970? And I don't recall any '69 track listings. Lots of 1971 and 1972, though, and subsequent years, including a number of reviews I wrote as I began to see Elvis in 1974. What great days!

I will check on any '69 listings unless you know already Ciscoking?

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Chris,..here we meet again..hope all is fine at your end..still listen to Another Saturday Night..?..Great stories you had to tell....absolutely stunning....Chris,..all secure dates you have for any 69 show are greatly appreciated.. :smt006

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:57 pm

August 15 DS. I've talked about it a lot over the years here on this board. So many of you are tired of hearing about it. Some think Jerry Lee Lewis was at this show. He wasn't. I have my song list but the order may not be exact. My Babe was the extra song. The rest is standard. This is the first of eight different Elvis concerts over the years. My favorite one is this one and it is my favorite concert of all time. And I've been to a lot of shows including the Beatles and Rolling Stones both in 1965. Those were pretty cool too.
Blue Suede Shoes
I Got A Women
All Shook Up
Love Me Tender
My Babe
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Memories
Mystery Train / Tiger Man
Baby What You Want Me To Do
Runaway
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Yesterday / Hey Jude
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love

Lots of karate during the instrumental break of What'd I Say. Elvis wore the dark suit with the red in the pleats of the pants.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

L Ray wrote:August 15 DS. I've talked about it a lot over the years here on this board. So many of you are tired of hearing about it. Some think Jerry Lee Lewis was at this show. He wasn't. I have my song list but the order may not be exact. My Babe was the extra song. The rest is standard. This is the first of eight different Elvis concerts over the years. My favorite one is this one and it is my favorite concert of all time. And I've been to a lot of shows including the Beatles and Rolling Stones both in 1965. Those were pretty cool too.
Blue Suede Shoes
I Got A Women
All Shook Up
Love Me Tender
My Babe
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Memories
Mystery Train / Tiger Man
Baby What You Want Me To Do
Runaway
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Yesterday / Hey Jude
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love

Lots of karate during the instrumental break of What'd I Say. Elvis wore the dark suit with the red in the pleats of the pants.



Will never get tired to hear from you :)

Thank you for the information.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm

L Ray wrote: So many of you are tired of hearing about it.


Please share all your memories 100 times ..we never get tired of them....and it was YOU who solved a mystery ...with these memories... :smt006

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 pm

L Ray wrote:August 15 DS. I've talked about it a lot over the years here on this board. So many of you are tired of hearing about it.

I don't think so.

Posts from those who were there are always welcome.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
L Ray wrote: So many of you are tired of hearing about it.


Please share all your memories 100 times ..we never get tired of them....and it was YOU who solved a mystery ...with these memories... :smt006


Thanks to you also for chasing this.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Please amend your dates respectively, Francesc...


Great site you have with wealths of infos.... ::rocks

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Mike ..I amended the title a bit..I wanted to know who us ..here... if a celeb wants to write his experience, though..don`t hesitate.. :wink:


Okay , no worreis. I wish I had attended one of these shows but I wasn't even born yet.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Okay , no worreis. I wish I had attended one of these shows but I wasn't even born yet.[/quote]


With a little bit of luck you can celebrate Elvis' 100th birthday in 2035. Most of us don't.



colonel snow

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Rob wrote:
L Ray wrote:August 15 DS. I've talked about it a lot over the years here on this board. So many of you are tired of hearing about it.

I don't think so.

Posts from those who were there are always welcome.


Yes! Even shows from Cincinati!

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Quit!

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Rob wrote:Quit!


You mean quiet? ;-)

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone. One mistake I've seen written here once or twice is that the showroom audience was bored and maybe didn't react as well to Elvis as did fans that saw him on tour. I saw 4 showroom type concerts, both Tahoe and Vegas, and 4 on tour type shows in both Oakland and San Francisco. In both situations Elvis was greeted with much excitment. When Elvis walked out on stage the place exploded with excitement. It didn't matter where the show was and it didn't matter what year it was. People were excited when Elvis was on stage. I can still see him walking out in 1969, a sort of sideways walk so that everyone could see him and with a large smile on his face. That is one of my stongest memories of Elvis that never fades. Seeing him walk out onto the center stage in 1969. What a great memory to always have.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm

I thought he was awesome in June '74 from the tenth row, so I can imagine how you felt in '69.

Elvis on stage right in front of you was quite the experience.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 pm

LRay....please tell us ALL...I am just a jumpsuit junkie.... ::rocks

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 pm

L Ray,

Which showroom did you like better...Vegas or Tahoe?

Thanks

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I`d be interested in finding out some other correct dates for shows we have on tape. Perhpas anybody remembers any merits
or special incidents ..or celebrities at the shows..or just wants to share his memories,...in any case ..just post whatever you think is of interest for us..meaning ALL.... :lol: ....


This Billboard review, written by Memphis Press-Scimitar reporter James D. Kingsley, has some details about the 7-31-1969 OS.


Billboard Aug 09 1969 p4.jpg
Billboard - August 9, 1969


Songs:
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
One Night
In The Ghetto

Celebrities:
Vernon Presley
Dee Presley
Sam Phillips
Felton Jarvis
Knox and Jerry Phillips (Sam's sons)
Ira Sachs
Harry Jenkins (RCA vice president, erroneously listed as "Harry Kingsley")

Notes:
The other songs in the article are references to what Elvis did on stage in 1954-57.
The reviewer's surname is misspelled as "Kingsly," bass player's surname misspelled as "Scher."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Who of you guys attended 69 Vegas concerts and which one

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Thank you, John..great research as ever.. ::rocks