Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Holy crap! Elvis in Hawaii 1957 in colour!!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

thanks for posting, its great

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Robt wrote:2035 would be better :lol:

2077 more likely! :lol:

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm

BONFIRE168 wrote:How did someone get so close with a camera during daylight hours? Any chance this is news camera footage from the colonels collection?

Understandably my post is easily overlooked given the magnitude of the video but I mentioned a thread I started early in December, after EPE announced this exhibit, that mentioned the home movies shot by Elizabeth Moore, the wife of one of Elvis' security entourage at that time. I was told she had film of the trip on the ship over and the concert among others. She had very close access. I really believe this is from her.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:yup its don't be cruel

phpBB [video]

Excellent job - sounds almost authentic ! When/where is the sound from - Tupelo '56, Ed Sullivan, Hawaii '57 ?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm

phpBB [video]

nice work!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm

BrianTCB wrote:I am sorry. I see nothing on that page that is a video of Elvis in Hawaii 1957.

Are you not seeing the clip at all, or are you challenging the location or date of the footage ?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Understandably my post is easily overlooked given the magnitude of the video but I mentioned a thread I started early in December, after EPE announced this exhibit, that mentioned the home movies shot by Elizabeth Moore, the wife of one of Elvis' security entourage at that time. I was told she had film of the trip on the ship over and the concert among others. She had very close access. I really believe this is from her.

Do you mean she filmed more of the concert? OMG! That would be my Holy Grail! To see footage of Elvis performing live in 1957 dancing and gyrating! To me, i think Elvis was at his performing best in 57.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 pm

garyt wrote:

Do you mean she filmed more of the concert? OMG!

No, I mean I believe she did the filming. How much exists and how much more is shown in the display I don't know.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:08 pm

That's fantastic stuff. Thanks, James, and everyone else who contributed!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Steve Morse wrote:

phpBB [video]

Excellent job - sounds almost authentic ! When/where is the sound from - Tupelo '56, Ed Sullivan, Hawaii '57 ?

The sound is dubbed from the March 25, 1961 Hawaii performance.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Hoily crap indeed! And there's no way someone would have filmed so little of the concert... but how much of the original filmed footage remains? Why has it taken 55 years to surface?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm

You might notice in that concert footage that Elvis was already keeping his sideburns a little shorter than we had ever seen them at that point -- perhaps anticipating his upcoming role in "King Creole" or his upcoming army hitch?

Did Elvis otherwise ever explain why he basically cut the sideburns off when he appeared in "King Creole"? That was fairly significant when that happened but by the time we actually saw him looking like that he was already in the army and unavailable for much comment.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

jungleroombear wrote:Hoily crap indeed! And there's no way someone would have filmed so little of the concert... but how much of the original filmed footage remains? Why has it taken 55 years to surface?

At the time you only got 3 minutes on a roll of 8mm film, which in this case would have meant changing outside in direct sunlight, not the best conditions.
It's hard to tell but it appears that Ken Moore (or his wife) may be holding the camera on the Matsonia if it was in fact from their collection.
If its from Elizabeth its taken this long to surface because they were personal memories of hers and i'm assuming that at her age its being sold off at the urging of the family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm

He rehearsed for the army.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 pm

rotis wrote:You might notice in that concert footage that Elvis was already keeping his sideburns a little shorter than we had ever seen them at that point -- perhaps anticipating his upcoming role in "King Creole" or his upcoming army hitch?

Did Elvis otherwise ever explain why he basically cut the sideburns off when he appeared in "King Creole"? That was fairly significant when that happened but by the time we actually saw him looking like that he was already in the army and unavailable for much comment.

IIRC, the director of King Creole, Michael Curtiz, asked Elvis to lose weight and the sideburns for the movie and Elvis said OK. Curtiz expected a fight from Elvis over it but he found EP to be very easy to work with and to direct.

Re: Holy crap! Elvis in Hawaii "LIVE"1957 in colour!!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:56 am

Simon1 wrote:Please check out the following link originally made available through
Elvis World Japan and YouTube .
I couldn't believe the quality of this footage.
I would love to know how much exactly exists.
Now available with sound thanks to fecc member
Johnny2523
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Amazing!!!!! 8)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 am

Is it true that 15 year-old Ann Dunham attended this show?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Is it true that 15 year-old Ann Dunham attended this show?

I don't know much about her or her history but from what I read she spent her teen years in California and Washington. Though she attended the University of Hawaii she would have not yet been 16 at the time of the show and my guess was she was probably not on the Island then.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Is it true that 15 year-old Ann Dunham attended this show?

I don't know much about her or her history but from what I read she spent her teen years in California and Washington. Though she attended the University of Hawaii she would have not yet been 16 at the time of the show and my guess was she was probably not on the Island then.

Maybe she saw one of the "Aloha" benefit shows in 1973? She could have brought her son along!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 am

This is great stuff after all this time this just now comes to surface would love to have the whole thing with sound a dream come true.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

Maybe she saw one of the "Aloha" benefit shows in 1973? She could have brought her son along!

Wasn't he living in Indonesia by then?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 am

Mike C wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

No. He'd moved back to Hawaii by the time of Aloha.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 am

TJ wrote:
Mike C wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

No. He'd moved back to Hawaii by the time of Aloha.

A whole year of hand-shaking with the public, and nobody asked him!

That should have been an assignment. Someone should have been given this task. Seriously. (So you'd get a few seconds of a quizzical expression and awkward silence; we would have gotten the answer.)

I've wondered about this for four years! Even watched the DVD, looking . . . How cool would that be??

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm

EPE and Angie Marchese have little idea of the importance of the material they hold. There is a shameful disregard for the historic and artistic value of film such as this. One despairs.

And here we should ask why Lisa is spending so much time supporting Michael Jackson, and doing CDs and live shows of very limited appeal, instead of exerting some influence over the proper preserving and celebrating of her father's legacy. Who would ever have dreamed that such a situation would come about? Not Elvis, that's for sure.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Hopefully there's more with some audio! Beautiful footage! Now tell me... does it get any better than Elvis Presley performing live in 1957? :smt023

Not for me, 1957 is my favourite Elvis year (although certain sun tracks are my all time favourite recordings) Fantastic footage, hopefully more will come to light!