Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Essential Elvis volume 4

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Hello everyone today i have been listening to essential elvis volume 4 and its been a while since i have heard this great release and while most of these takes are now on various ftds this is just one of my favorite official releases, there are many great takes from jume 70 and some 71 takes this was just an aweosme release!!!

Re: Essential Elvis volume 4

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I like it! It has a modern sound to it, loud but not cluttered.
My second CD ever, back in mid 1996.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Elvis-V ... B000002WXQ

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Definitely my fave in the 'Essential' series.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Bought it when released in august 96 but the hot boot released almost a year before kind of ruined this one for me.
But it had improved sound and some xtra tracks so played it a lot.....not anymore though after further sound upgrade on FTD. :smt004

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:36 am

It remains the only place to hear certain music not available elsewhere, such as:

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (undubbed master).
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water (Undubbed Master, full performance)*.
Little Cabin On The Hill (alternate take with harmonica track intact)**.

*The version on disc 2 of FTD's Elvis Country is a 1970 Felton Jarvis rough mix, which he fades earlier.
**The version on FTD's Elvis Country has a mixing error, the harmonica has been forgotten from the sound image!! Elvis calls for a solo and nothing! (Well, if you listen very, very closely you can hear hints of it bleeding through other mics). Amateurs.

Essential 4 is a nice old release, though the sound leaves a lot to be desired in some places, particularly the 1971 songs and I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, which sounds quite, er, muddy, especially the drum track.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:43 am

JimmyCool wrote:I like it! It has a modern sound to it, loud but not cluttered.
My second CD ever, back in mid 1996.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Elvis-V ... B000002WXQ

Dead on Jimmycool! I agree.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 am

Matthew wrote:It remains the only place to hear certain music not available elsewhere, such as:

*The version on disc 2 of FTD's Elvis Country is a 1970 Felton Jarvis rough mix, which he fades earlier.
**The version on FTD's Elvis Country has a mixing error, the harmonica has been forgotten from the sound image!! Elvis calls for a solo and nothing! (Well, if you listen very, very closely you can hear hints of it bleeding through other mics). Amateurs.

Essential 4 is a nice old release, though the sound leaves a lot to be desired in some places, particularly the 1971 songs and I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, which sounds quite, er, muddy, especially the drum track.

Thanks Matthew for researching this info, some probably didn't know this including me. :smt023

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:59 am

Matthew wrote:**The version on FTD's Elvis Country has a mixing error, the harmonica has been forgotten from the sound image!! Elvis calls for a solo and nothing! (Well, if you listen very, very closely you can hear hints of it bleeding through other mics). Amateurs.

Yay! Another one to add to the list of errors!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 am

Also the bootleg version There's A Whole Lotta Shakin Going On should be mentioned containing all the foul dialugue and some more unreleased stuff..also crisp and clear sound..one of my faves.

www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/T ... elotta.htm

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am

I like the CD but love the boot.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 am

one of the best in the essential series

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am

keninlincs wrote:one of the best in the essential series

It was the best individual album of that era. Sure, there were problems - but that's hindsight. And if you never heard the bootleg, then it's even a little bit better. The album's ambition to release Elvis "as is" - jamming, in a comfortable environment, having fun with music, without all the sweetening, was great. It wasn't going to live up to its ambition, because that really wasn't possible under the circumstances. But it's a always been a real treat. I still listen to it from time to time.

They were definitely moving in the right direction.

rjm

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Matthew wrote:It remains the only place to hear certain music not available elsewhere, such as:

I always wondered why FTD keep tampering with mixes and messing them up?? They did the same with take 4 of "Love me love the life I lead". When released on "I sing all kinds", it sounded great and nicely balanced, but just a few months later, take 4 was re-released on "Elvis (Fool)" FTD and most of the instruments were missing leaving virtually only Elvis, drums and bass!!!?!!! :wtf:

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

The mixes on Fool mimic the original masters' mixes, as discussed at the time, and was a great aesthetic choice. Instruments aren't missing, not like the harmonica from Little Cabin On The Hill.

Interestingly I Sing All Kinds - the source of your preferred mix of Love Me Love The Life I Lead has a weird mix of Early Morning Rain: the backing vocals have all but been removed. They appear intact on FTD's Now release.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 am

Love the all 6 Essential Elvis cds. The number 2 was my favorite because of the cover.
The cd number 4 with the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is one of my favorites.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 am

I love these....prefer 4-6 though

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 am

Essential 2 remains the most remarkable, especially since the majority of its content has not been released elsewhere.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 am

I bought my copy years ago from a record store that also sold used CDs. My version was used but there is a sticker on the lower right side of the cover that says "Not For Sale". The CD also says "Not For Sale" but it is not a sticker. The back inlay has a hole punched out of the barcode. I'm assuming it was a promo copy...I'm not sure.

I like all of the "essential" releases but I tend to like volumes 3 and 5 the best.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 am

Is Matthew a bloodhound or what?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am

sheila wrote:Love the all 6 Essential Elvis cds. The number 2 was my favorite because of the cover.
The cd number 4 with the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is one of my favorites.

I really enjoyed Volume 5 the first several times I listened to it all the way through... I haven't played it for some time.
It gave me a new appreciation for many of the Stax recordings that were overdubbed to death...
these alternates had a much cleaner sound and all the recordings were in fine sound quality. Volume 5 and 2 are my favorites.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 am

There's some interesting mixing going on with Essential 5 too, such as the ending of Loving Arms (missing backing vocal crescendo) and the drums (or lack thereof) on Your Loves Been A Long Time Coming.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 am

Essential 6 - the sound on Surrender is particularly poor, very strange sounding. Perhaps a bad tape transfer.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 am

I have the records on Essential Elvis 1, 2, and 3. Was there any for 4 to 6? Anybody?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

Matthew wrote:Essential 6 - the sound on Surrender is particularly poor, very strange sounding. Perhaps a bad tape transfer.

Essential 6? Refresh my memory, please.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 am

JerryNodak wrote:
Matthew wrote:Essential 6 - the sound on Surrender is particularly poor, very strange sounding. Perhaps a bad tape transfer.

Essential 6? Refresh my memory, please.

Such A Night: Essential Elvis 6, released in 2000. Focuses on Studio B sessions between 1960 and 1964.