Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New cdboxes from Bear Family Records.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 am

3 new super cool cdboxes from Bear Family Records are gonna be released in the near future. :D
Look at these beauties.
Rockabilly box will possible include pictures not seen by Elvis fans before. :mrgreen: :smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New cdboxes from Bear Family Records.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 am

svallen wrote:3 new super cool cdboxes from Bear Family Records are gonna be released in the near future. :D
Look at these beauties.
Rockabilly box will possible include pictures not seen by Elvis fans before. :mrgreen: :smt006

Any track list yet?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am

This is gonna be a must have for me.... if my wallet permits.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 pm

What is left - picture wise - after Boy From Tupelo?

Don't they have any SUN outtakes on Elvis at Bear? Or is that just wishful thinking... :wink:

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:20 pm

This is great news for collectors of Charley Pride.
He recorded many demos at SUN studios in the late 50s.
i hope they are here complete :mrgreen: :smt006

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:22 pm

From Amazon.co.uk:

Product Description

Between 1950 and 1960, SUN RECORDS founder Sam Phillips discovered and produced B.B. King, Howlin'Wolf, Ike Turner, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Charlie Rich and Roy Orbison artists who changed the way popular music was made. With a staff of no more than one or two people, he did this from a small storefront studio in Memphis, Tennessee. Others who made their first recordings at SUN include Rufus Thomas, Bobby Bland, Junior Parker, Little Milton, Conway Twitty, Charley Pride and many more! In 1952, after producing one of the biggest pre-rock 'n' roll hits, Jackie Brenston's Rocket 88, Sam Phillips launched SUN RECORDS with one local release, and then folded the label for a year. In 1953, he relaunched SUN, releasing singles until he folded the label in 1968. BEAR FAMILY has led the way in documenting Sam Phillips' incredible achievement with career-defining box sets on Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and definitive single or double CDs on every significant SUN artist. Plus, BEAR FAMILY has documented the original SUN singles in a series of six 4-CD sets... every single, A and B side, in original stunning mono! Now, in conjunction with SUN's sixtieth anniversary, BEAR FAMILY is releasing three genre-defining box sets. THE COUNTRY BOX is the first. BEAR FAMILY issued the original 'Sun Country Years' in 1986, and now it's back. Few knew it, but Sam Phillips' original recordings after he started his studio were country not blues. Now the story of Phillips' involvement in country music from 1950 until 1959 is told in full. There's Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins, of course, but the real story lies in artists like Ernie Chaffin, Slim Rhodes, Charlie Feathers, Warren Smith, and many others who didn't make it, but made fabulously underrated music. It's all here! Newly restored audio, newly discovered recordings, and newly unearthed photos make this an essential companion to the Blues box. So don't believe that the story of SUN RECORDS has been told until you hear a priceless audio fragment that might be SUN #176...the only SUN record that has never been heard, or seen the scrap of paper where Sam Phillips figured out his tiny income for 1952, or hear afro-american gay nightclub singer Rudi Richardson sing rock 'n' roll! This is the story of the most lauded record label of all time told as only BEAR FAMILY can tell it! This is the story of ten years that changed the world of popular culture!

THE COUNTRY BOX
Bear Family issued the original 'Sun Country Years' in 1986, and now it's back. Few knew it, but Sam Phillips' original recordings after he started his studio were country &ndash not blues. Now the story of Phillips' involvement in country music from 1950 until 1959 is told in full. There's Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins, of course, but the real story lies in artists like Ernie Chaffin, Slim Rhodes, Charlie Feathers, Warren Smith, and many others who didn't make it, but made fabulously underrated music. It's all here! Newly restored audio, newly discovered recordings, and newly unearthed photos make this an essential companion to the Blues box.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Any track listing? will they use the tapes for 'Boy from Tupelo"?

Burning Love

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:43 pm

It doesn't actually say there's any Elvis on any of the boxes.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am

here is a link to the first box to be released ...but no tracklisting mentioned

http://www.bear-family.com/en/country-western/classic-country-artists/va-sun-country-box-1950-1959-6-cd-148-page-bo.html

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 am

Oh my god, they look beautiful... although without a doubt there will also be some crappy music on it... :wink:

Nevertheless an essential (and most likely expensive) purchase!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 am

Oh boy ! More Orion Tracks ! Woooooo Hooooooo !!!!! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 am

I have the LP version of the Blues box, and the music on it is nothing short of astonishing. It harbors gospel as well as blues, and there's almost never a dull moment. If you can only afford one CD set, and assuming the same track list, get the Blues box.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 am

I have always wanted the blues set, and this looks like a great opportunity.

I have the original Country set on records, which is an amazingly diverse collection of talent and styles. Admittedly, not everything on the set would be for rock fans, but a great listen nonetheless. I would recommend a CD version of it very highly--perhaps a second choice after the blues box.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm

A link to the Blues box.
http://www.bear-family.com/index.php?cl ... lues%20box

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

They look nice!! But i have Bear Families 5 volume box sets "The Singles Collection" from a few years ago-they included all the presley sides. So i don't really need these new ones.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 pm

buddy holly wrote:A link to the Blues box.
http://www.bear-family.com/index.php?cl ... lues%20box

On the page it shows:

120108_BCD 17310_The Sun Blues Box.JPG

The Sun Blues Box 1950-1958 (10-CD &180p.Hardcover)

THE BLUES BOX. Finally, the last word on the Sun and pre-Sun blues recordings! Nearly 30 years after the original Sun Blues Box was released on LP, it's back on CD with so much more than was on the original set. Recently discovered music from well-known artists … and incredible artifacts like Sam Phillips narrating a radio commercial for a West African herbalist who would soon be jailed for selling bogus patent medicine. Recordings produced by Phillips but issued on Chess, RPM, Trumpet and other labels were unavailable in 1983, but are now included. Researcher Steve LaVere finally allowed the world to hear the Sun audio and see the Sun-related photos he collected back in the late 1960s. In fact, the entire blues research community came together to make this a once-in-a-lifetime blues experience!

Wow, I am likely going to have to buy this. The music is amazing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am

Doc .... do you have a track listing from the original set you got , i know it states there is more on this new release but at least it would give some idea whats going to be on it

thanks

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 am

Looks cool, but damn where's Faron Young - The Mercury Years. Please Richard!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 am

And why have the new boxes got so much more hard to find music on them? Because of the PD laws that people moan about so much. Case closed!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 am

[quote="poormadpeter"]And why have the new boxes got so much more hard to find music on them? Because of the PD laws that people moan about so much. Case closed![/quote

:roll:

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 am

Man those are beautiful going to have to look into these three.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:They look nice!! But i have Bear Families 5 volume box sets "The Singles Collection" from a few years ago-they included all the presley sides. So i don't really need these new ones.

This cdbox serie got 6 cdboxes.Why are you misinng Box number 6? :? :smt006

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:They look nice!! But i have Bear Families 5 volume box sets "The Singles Collection" from a few years ago-they included all the presley sides. So i don't really need these new ones.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 pm

houndog wrote:Doc .... do you have a track listing from the original set you got , i know it states there is more on this new release but at least it would give some idea whats going to be on it

thanks

This looks about right:

SUN BOX 105 - Sun: The Blues Years - Various Artists [1984] (9-LP set)

Disc 1 : Cool Down Mama - Lost John Hunter & The Blind Bats/School Boy - Lost John Hunter & The Blind Bats/Shorty The Barber - Charlie Burse/Boogie In The Park - Joe Hill Louis/Gotta Let You Go - Joe Hill Louis/Registration Day Blues - Sleepy John Estes/Policy Man - Sleepy John Estes/Rats In My Kitchen - Sleepy John Estes/Runnin' Around - Sleepy John Estes//Highway Man - Howlin' Wolf/My Troubles And Me - Howlin' Wolf/Everybody's In The Mood - Howlin' Wolf/Decoration Day Blues - Howlin' Wolf/Bluebird Blues - Howlin' Wolf/Well That's Alright - Howlin' Wolf/My Baby Walked Off - Howlin' Wolf/Come Back Home - Howlin' Wolf;

Disc 2: She's Dynamite - B.B. King/B.B. Blues - B.B. King/Rocket 88 - Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats/Ridin' The Boogie - Lou Sargent/Juiced - Billy Love/My Real Gone Rocket - Jackie Brenston/Tuckered Out - Jackie Brenston/Drop Top - Billy Love// Sam's Drag - L.J. Thomas/Baby Take A Chance With Me - L.J. Thomas/T-Model Boogie - Rosco Gordon/Decorate The Counter - Rosco Gordon/Married Woman - Rufus Thomas/You'll Be Sorry - Houston Stokes/Blues And Lonesome - Houston Stokes/Baby's Gone And Left Me - Houston Stokes/Hi- Tone Mama - Walter "Tang" Smith;

Disc 3: Drivin' Slow - Johnny London/Got My Application Baby - Handy Jackson/Bear Cat - Rufus 'Hound Dog' Thomas Jr/Walking In The Rain - Rufus 'Hound Dog' Thomas Jr/Call Me Anything But Call Me - Big Memphis Ma Rainey/Baby No No - Big Memphis Ma Rainey/Save That Money - Rufus Thomas Jr./Tiger Man (King Of The Jungle) - Rufus Thomas Jr.//Feelin' Good - Little Junior's Blue Flames/Fussin' And Fightin' Blues - Little Junior's Blue Flames/Mystery Train - Little Junior's Blue Flames/Love My Baby - Little Junior's Blue Flames/Sittin' Drinkin' And Thinkin'/Country Farm Blues - William Stewart/Just Walkin' In The Rain - Prisonaires/Don't Say Tomorrow - Prisonaires/I Want My Baby Back - Hunki Dori;

Disc 4: Where Shall I Be (When That First Trumpet Sounds) - Brewsteraires/(The Lord Gave Me) Wings For My Soul - Brewsteraires/There's A Man In Jerusalem - Southern Jubilees/Forgive Me Lord - Southern Jubilees/He Never Left Me Alone - Southern Jubilees/A Prisoner's Prayer - Prisonaires/Amazing Grace - Jones Brothers/Gospel Train - Jones Brothers/Look To Jesus - Jones Brothers//That Ain't Right - Doctor Ross with Henry Hill/Left Job Boogie - Doctor Ross/Terra Mae - Doctor Ross/Come Back Baby - Doctor Ross/Gonna Leave You Baby - Sammy Lewis-Willie Johnson Combo/I Feel So Worried (take1) - Sammy Lewis-Willie Johnson Combo/I Feel So Worried (take 2) - Sammy Lewis-Willie Johnson Combo/So Long Baby Goodbye - Sammy Lewis-Willie Johnson Combo;

Disc 5: Walter's Instrumental - Walter Horton/Selling My Whiskey - Jackie Boy & Little Walter/West Winds Are Blowing - Walter Horton/Little Walter's Boogie - Walter Horton/Off The Wall - Walter Horton/Easy - Walter Horton/Before Long - Jimmy DeBerry/Party Line Blues - Jimmy DeBerry//Take A Little Chance - Jimmy DeBerry/Time Has Made A Change - Jimmy DeBerry/Midnight Showers Of Rain - Willie Nix/Prison Bound Blues - Willie Nix/Riding In The Moonlight - Willie Nix/Take A Little Walk Wth Me - Willie Nix/Seems Like A Million Years - Willie Nix/Baker Shop Boogie - Willie Nix;

Disc 6: Can't Love Me And My Money Too - L.B. Lawson/Sweet Home Chgicago - Honeyboy Edwards/Rhumba Chillen - Albert Williams/Hoo Doo Man - Albert Williams/When I'm Gone - Joe Hill Louis/We All Gotta Go Sometime - Joe Hill Louis/She May Be Yours - Joe Hill Louis/Keep Your Arms Around Me - Joe Hill Louis/Mistreatin' Boogie - Mose Vinson/Worry You Off My Mind - Mose Vinson/Hydramatic Woman - Joe Hill Louis/Tiger Man - Joe Hill Louis/Shine Boy - Mose, Joe & Walter/Reap What You Sow - Mose Vinson/44 Blues - Mose Vinson/Come See Me - Mose Vinson;

Disc 7: Greyhound Blues - D.A. Hunt/Lonesome Ol' Jail - D.A. Hunt/Steel Guitar Rag - Earl Hooker/Believe I'll Settle Down - Boyd Gilmore/Walked All Night - Charlie Booker/Baby I'm Coming Home - Charlie Booker/Reward For My Baby - Walter Bradford/Love For My Baby - Walter Bradford/Lucy Done Moved - Walter Bradford & L.C. Hubert//My Baby - James Cotton/Straighten Up Baby - James Cotton/Cotton Crop Blues - James Cotton/Hold Me In Your Arms - James Cotton/I'm Gonna Murder My Baby - Pat Hare/Bonus Pay - Pat Hare/Wolf Call Boogie - Hot Shot Love/Harmonica Jam - Hot Shot Love;

Disc 8: Ain't Gonna Tell You No Lie - James Banister/Love You Love You Baby - Dennis Binder/Long Gone Raymond - Raymond Hill/My Baby Left Me - Raymond Hill/Blues Train - Tot Randolph/Ugly Woman - Johnny O'Neal/Dead Letter Blues - Johnny O'Neal/Johnny's Dream - Johnny O'Neal//Beggin' My Baby - Little Milton/Somebody Told Me - Little Milton/Carry My Business On - Houston Boines/She's My Queen - Little Milton/Rebeat - Little Milton/Lookin' For My Baby - Little Milton/Rode That Train (Looking For My Baby) - Little Milton/Homesick For My Baby - Little Milton/If You Love Me - Little Milton;

Disc 9: Way After Midnight - Billy Love/Hart's Bread Boogie - Billy Love/Gee I Wish - Billy Love/The News Is All Around Town/Shim Sham Shimmy - Billy "The Kid" Emerson/When It Rains It Pours - Billy "The Kid" Emerson/Move Baby Move - Billy "The Kid" Emerson/Red Hot - Billy "The Kid" Emerson/Bring Your Love Back Home - Eddie Snow//Something For Nothing - Billy "The Kid" Emerson/Little Fine Healthy Thing - Billy "The Kid" Emerson/That's What You Do To Me - Roscoe Gordon/I Found A New Love - Roscoe Gordon/I'm Gonna Shake It - Roscoe Gordon/Let's Get High - Roscoe Gordon/New Orleans - Roscoe Gordon/Shoobie Oobie - Roscoe Gordon

http://www.bsnpubs.com/charly/charly12-boxesmisc.html

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks Doc .. You the man as always i knew i could trust in you