Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis --> Shopping for chips in Germany

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:23 am

I found this 1959 German image while doing a Google search.

590000_Germany.JPG

Anyone know exactly when or where?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis --> Shopping for chips in Germany

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 am

Cool photo! Thanks! (It was New Years Eve, and I was being silly. It's an excellent very early "first winter" Army pic.)

Thanks below for the dating!

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:16 pm

[b]Ty John for sharing the pic - Lov It - [/b ::rocks ] ::rocks

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Great find Doc!
Sorry can't help you on a date.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm

same day

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I found this 1959 German image while doing a Google search.

590000_Germany.JPG

Anyone know exactly when or where?

Thanks for sharing, Doc. This image of Elvis appears in 'Elvis - Like Any Other Soldier' (Jerry Osborne/Barbara Hahn), but is b&w, cropped and reversed. It is dated as November, 1958, at Grafewöhr PX.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Photos : "shoppin' Around" at the PX store
Book : "A date with Elvis"
=>Appear here too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks John and Energy Catalyzer

Not so sure the one you posted steevefry is from the same day, appearing to be at Grafenwoehr in November 1958. He doesn't seem to be wearing his 'pinkie ring' and you can clearly see his watch in this one too.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:21 am

I'm confused -- is the image from 11-1958 or later?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm confused -- is the image from 11-1958 or later?

My feeling is that all 3 pictures were taken at Grafenwöhr at the end of November 1958 but that the third picture is from a different day from the first two. Calling E-Cat!

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:45 am

How about these?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 pm

The photo posted by Julian Grant showing Elvis reading Movie Life magazine was taken in early 1959, probably February.

On the lower rack you can see Little Dot Mar 1959, Porky Pig Jan-Feb 1959, Walt Disney Comics Feb 1959 and below these you have Bugs Bunny Feb-Mar 1959 and Batman Feb 1959.

Having studied all the photos posted here closely I actually believe they were all taken on the same day. All the photos show him wearing the ring he got from Judy Spreckels on his left pinky finger, the collar on his jacket is standing up in the same way and the fold in his hat or whatever it´s called is the same.

My guess is that these were all taken in February 1959.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 am

Brian, has to be a bit earlier; Elvis made PFC on 27 November 1958, and thenceforth wore the single gold chevron. These photos all are slick-sleeved (no badge of rank). Sometime between 2 October and 27 November 1958.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 pm

latebloomer wrote:Brian, has to be a bit earlier; Elvis made PFC on 27 November 1958, and thenceforth wore the single gold chevron. These photos all are slick-sleeved (no badge of rank). Sometime between 2 October and 27 November 1958.

I´m not so familiar with the military and uniforms and chevrons and everything but would the March 1959 issue of Little Dot really be out as early as November 1958?
Anybody know how early magazines would be for sale prior to their publication date?

Would it be totally impossible for him to wear a jacket without the chevron over his uniform? Or would ALL photos showing no badge or chevron date to his life a Private or Private without rank and how do you tell the difference between those two?
I can tell the difference between PFC, SP4 and Sergeant by the chevrons or badges but I´m not so sure when it comes to photos where Elvis was Private without rank or Private.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Brian, those magazine dates puzzle me, too. Elvis is standing in the Stars and Stripes Bookstore, I think; looks almost exactly like the one we had in Izmir, Turkey, when we were there in 62-65. If anything, things were a bit later hitting our newsstand than they would have been in the States. Here, magazines bearing a June date can appear in stores and mailboxes as early as mid-May, but not, as you doubt, three or four months early.

Elvis' promotion on 27 November, apparently after the November-December maneuvers had begun, seems to have meant that he was unable to sew on his new stripe until after his outfit's return to Ray Barracks, since it appears in none of the photos from that exercise, but I can't imagine there being more than a day or two of delay in his dropping off uniforms at the tailor shop, and perhaps another day or two before he got them back, so that he might have been without his new stripe until perhaps a week after maneuvers ended...but not as long as February! And, no, NO ONE ever dallies over putting on a new set of stripes, and particulrly not that first set, which marks a person as no longer "green". Nor is it permissible to wear the appropriate indication of rank on only some of one's uniform gear.

Orders announcing a promotion are cut some time before effective dates, although they occasionally (as in WWII, for instance) don't catch up to a person until long afterward. Once the orders connect with the person, one is out of uniform, a fairly serious offense, if not wearing insignia of the new pay grade. Only in unavoidable circumstances is such a breach tolerated, as for Elvis, at Grafenwohr. Ordinarily, orders are delivered well before the effective date of promotions, so the new insignia are to be worn on the first duty day after that date. So precious are promotions that commands in all services are authorized to "frock" personnel, which is to allow them to wear their promotions and assume the authority and responsibility of their new pay grade even though they are not yet being paid for it.

I've hunted all through Like Any Other Soldier and Elvis in the Army and can't find a single word that indicates when he actually wore his shiny new stripe for the first time, but we can bet money that he did not dally over it!

We're going to need E-Cat on this one, I think. Those dated magazines present an anomaly that can't be explained away, and they certainly reinforce your logic, but those bare sleeves can't be explained away either!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks so much for your answer latebloomer. I agree that the magazines do present a problem but it´s one we can´t ignore. I was guessing that the magazines could hit the store a week or two prior to publication date that´s why I went for the February date on the photos.

I´ve just checked the watch Elvis wears in the PX store and it can first be seen in photos from January 16, 1959 when Elvis donated blood. Prior to that he wore a different watch which can be seen in November on exercise, in December getting his BMW and on January 14, 1959 visiting with polio victim Stephen Marquette.

Here´s the cover of Little Dot and you can clearly see the MAR date in the upper left corner.
Image5.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 am

Brian, I can't fault and don't doubt for a minute your findings, but I still don't understand why Elvis would have been walking around without his new stripe more than three months after it was authorized. Just does not compute.

E-Cat, bail us out, please!!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:32 am

Julian Grant wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm confused -- is the image from 11-1958 or later?

My feeling is that all 3 pictures were taken at Grafenwöhr at the end of November 1958 but that the third picture is from a different day from the first two. Calling E-Cat!

Yes I Agree With You These are from Grafenwohr - looks like on one hes gettn supplies -

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:23 am

bripet56 wrote:Thanks so much for your answer latebloomer. I agree that the magazines do present a problem but it´s one we can´t ignore. I was guessing that the magazines could hit the store a week or two prior to publication date that´s why I went for the February date on the photos.

This has always puzzled me about the publication date of these so called movie magazines. They were on sale 5-6 weeks before the date of the magazine. For example, a June issue would be on sale on April 24th or so. Why was that? It seems so silly.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:50 am

The fool wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Thanks so much for your answer latebloomer. I agree that the magazines do present a problem but it´s one we can´t ignore. I was guessing that the magazines could hit the store a week or two prior to publication date that´s why I went for the February date on the photos.

This has always puzzled me about the publication date of these so called movie magazines. They were on sale 5-6 weeks before the date of the magazine. For example, a June issue would be on sale on April 24th or so. Why was that? It seems so silly.

Was that the same for the comic magazines??
I could not find a date for the Movie Life magazine Elvis is holding in his hand.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:35 pm

I´ve just checked the watch Elvis wears in the PX store and it can first be seen in photos from January 16, 1959 when Elvis donated blood. Prior to that he wore a different watch which can be seen in November on exercise, in December getting his BMW and on January 14, 1959 visiting with polio victim Stephen Marquette.

Here´s the cover of Little Dot and you can clearly see the MAR date in the upper left corner.
Image5.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

And why would male army recruits want to buy this "Little Dot" comic??!!??

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Tony.. wrote:

Image5.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

And why would male army recruits want to buy this "Little Dot" comic??!!??

Nothing strange about that.
Many soldiers had their family along when they were stationed far from home. That would include their children who probably read those comics.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 am

590300_Little Dot comic.JPG

This seals the deal as February 1959 for these photos.

Usually the new comics were in the racks one or two weeks before the date on their covers.

One wonders if he looks a bit sad because of the shocking deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J.P. Richardson in that Iowa plane crash on February 3.

Thanks, bripet56.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 am

latebloomer wrote:E-Cat, bail us out, please!!

Lets consider some more info:

bripet56 wrote:I´ve just checked the watch Elvis wears in the PX store and it can first be seen in photos from January 16, 1959 when Elvis donated blood.

You can see Elvis wearing this watch attending Hollywood on Ice in Frankfurt December 27th 1958.

bripet56 wrote:Prior to that he wore a different watch which can be seen in November on exercise, in December getting his BMW and on January 14, 1959 visiting with polio victim Stephen Marquette.

The January 14th date is not correct. The Marquette family met with Elvis for the second time on a Saturday in January. In addition there was no way for Elvis to attend a photo shooting in Frankfurt AND to visit the Frankfurt Zoo before closing hours on a weekday like (Wednesday) the 14th.

drjohncarpenter wrote:This seals the deal as February 1959 for these photos.

Photographer, Mickey Bohnacker stated that these photo's were taken at the PX end of January. This makes sense as Mickey did not shoot any photo's at his new rental home in Febr.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm

E-Cat wrote:
latebloomer wrote:E-Cat, bail us out, please!!

Lets consider some more info:

bripet56 wrote:I´ve just checked the watch Elvis wears in the PX store and it can first be seen in photos from January 16, 1959 when Elvis donated blood.

You can see Elvis wearing this watch attending Hollywood on Ice in Frankfurt December 27th 1958.

bripet56 wrote:Prior to that he wore a different watch which can be seen in November on exercise, in December getting his BMW and on January 14, 1959 visiting with polio victim Stephen Marquette.

The January 14th date is not correct. The Marquette family met with Elvis for the second time on a Saturday in January. In addition there was no way for Elvis to attend a photo shooting in Frankfurt AND to visit the Frankfurt Zoo before closing hours on a weekday like (Wednesday) the 14th.

drjohncarpenter wrote:This seals the deal as February 1959 for these photos.

Photographer, Mickey Bohnacker stated that these photo's were taken at the PX end of January. This makes sense as Mickey did not shoot any photo's at his new rental home in Febr.

Thanks E-Cat for your commemts.
I don´t have any photos from Hollywood on Ice on December 27, 1958 where I can see his watch so that´s why I put January 16 as my first date with the watch.

Thanks for the info about Bohnacker. I´ve moved the photos from Feb to Jan 1959.

As for the Janusary 14, 1959 date with Stephen Marquette I think I dated my photos from this article which has the photo and mention that Elvis came home from "work" after having had to stay over for a couple of hours.
I thought he had done the photo-shoot with Stephen Marquette on this day.
590115-Ut-Provo-Daily Herald-pg02.jpg

Sincerely
Brian