Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 3000 South Paridise Road

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

thermoking wrote:When you go back to the 70'th, from 1974 till the beginning of the 80th
There was a rock 'n Roll Revival , That was the atmosphere at that time.
In 1974 the sitcom Happy Day's came very populair , and in 1978 Grease was a big hit
. Elvis introduce in 1975 Little Darling ( a silly song as he mention in his show) and at the memphis show in 1976 Elvis said
That some people said he can't do some songs as That's Alright , and he just said " watch me".

I always thought he meant that people thought that his voice was too low for songs like That's Alright.

There was a huge 50's revival from about 72 on. Every year from 73 to 79 when I was in Jr. High and High School we had 50's day where we dressed up like the 50's and had a sock hop after school in the gym. Besides the Happy Days tv show there was the movie American Graffiti, Lavern and Shirley and Sha Na Na plus a lot of others. This was also when oldies radio was born which played (initially) nothing but 50's rock. In most towns in my state there was a revival of cruising and drive-ins (restaurants). Interesting that the Colonel and RCA didn't try to capitalize on this trend. Or maybe they did with the Legendary Performer series.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 pm

elvisjock wrote:Agreed. One wonders what might have been the inspiration for adding the song.

Maybe he'd been listening to the May 1958 home demo tape old friend Eddie Fadal sent him?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 am

Getting back to the subject of this CD; does anyone know why there are edits (quite obvious ones) on the rehearsal recording? Was something cut out in order to fit the material onto the CD disc as it runs for over 77 minutes, or was the rehearsal taped over 2 or 3 cassettes, hence the audible 'breaks' in the recording?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 am

What are the edits?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am

Matthew wrote:What are the edits?

There's one after "You've lost that lovin' feelin'", one right after "Burning love", one after the first version of "What now my love", one after "Blueberry Hill" and one after "I'll remember you" which is not so obvious.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 am

I wouldn't class them as edits, but there are a number of fades evident between some tracks.

I also noticed from track 5 [What Now My Love] onwards, the eq appears to have been adjusted - resulting in a little more depth to the recording but at the same time accentuating the tape hiss.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 am

Tony.. wrote:

There's one after "You've lost that lovin' feelin'", one right after "Burning love", one after the first version of "What now my love", one after "Blueberry Hill" and one after "I'll remember you" which is not so obvious.

Yes i noticed this too..... but i certainly will be enjoying hearing this again at the weekend!~ great CONTENT! :smt007

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:34 am

I was told that this is essentially the complete recording. All the music is there. The only thing that was edited out was pauses where you hear nothing.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I was told that this is essentially the complete recording. All the music is there. The only thing that was edited out was pauses where you hear nothing.

That's fair enough if that is the case. As long as "The sun ain't gonna shine anymore" and / or "Holly holy" have not been removed! LOL

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:23 am

Tony.. wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:I was told that this is essentially the complete recording. All the music is there. The only thing that was edited out was pauses where you hear nothing.

That's fair enough if that is the case. As long as "The sun ain't gonna shine anymore" and / or "Holly holy" have not been removed! LOL

Holly Holy is a beautiful song. I just wish this is recorded.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 am

I just played this set again today, and I am very impressed with the way it was researched and presented. It truly is a gem.

I feel that most releases on FTD are truly topnotch, especially the classic albums, but I have sometimes felt that they didn’t really know how to present the soundboards in a proper way, perhaps because the mid-70s is not Ernst’s area of interest. From the way they sometimes were presented, the lack of care, the sloppy mastering and the clumsy titles (’Does he sing ‘Unchained Melody’ in this show? OK, let’s just call it that’), it’s certainly easy to get that impression.

‘3000 South Paradise Road’ has clearly been done with care and attention to detail, and I for one hope that the duo of Robert Frieser and Hans Slebos will be involved in many more 70s releases on FTD. They have really done the Summer Festival ’72 justice with this release, and indeed there are many interesting details in the booklet.

Did you know that a Memphis-based group called The Masqueraders released ‘Steamroller Blues’ as early as 1968 (songwriter James Taylor released his version in ’70) and that Elvis’ version as rehearsed for the Summer Festival in August ’72 was based on their version? As you probably know, FTD has two more rehearsals from this engagement, and yes, ‘Steamroller Blues’ is there. Oddly enough, he only sang it once or twice during this engagement, but he returned to it in January ’73, when it became a regular in his setlist.

If you haven’t ordered this baby yet, then do so today – you won’t regret it.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am

8) wow Thanks for the extra info about 1972 rehearsals Rock Legend!~ :lol:
a friend last night was also telling me EXACTLY same comments about how impressed he was with the booklet and info in this release.If anything it is even MORE impressive than the last rehearsal we got from Jan 1973! Its very Cool to hear out man going through his material in this way.Obviously had a soundboard of the actual opening night show Aug 1972 been available that would have been a real Scoop, but as it is its still a great FTD package 8)

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm very happy with this cd. 2012 was a great FTD year
working with Hans Slebos and Robert Frieser,they have created a winning team.
Especially looking at their previous release "fourty Eight Hours To Memphis.
The pictures they have used are absolutely brilliant,
My favorite is the Hound Dog picture.You can even see his name on his microphone.

This CD has been better than the last, I am wondering if they can top this level. that will be a challenge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by thermoking on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:37 pm

:D with this kind of sheer dream QUALITY FTD releases....all i can dream about is MORE PLEASE!~ and from 1972 QUALITY in itself!~ :roll: :lol:

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Rock Legend wrote:As you probably know, FTD has two more rehearsals from this engagement

Is that so? From what I understood, Don Lance sold 3 rehearsal tapes to Ernst, and two of them have been released. So is the 4th rehearsal from a different source?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:As you probably know, FTD has two more rehearsals from this engagement

Is that so? From what I understood, Don Lance sold 3 rehearsal tapes to Ernst, and two of them have been released. So is the 4th rehearsal from a different source?

I think you are right. One more to go.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 am

L Ray wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:

I think you are right. One more to go.

I Don't think you right.
We have

august 2
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me- From The Bottom of my heart vol 2
Any Day Now - Stage Rehearsal - From The Bottom of my heart vol 2

august 3

True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - Stage Rehearsal FTD
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Stage Rehearsal FTD- No Fooling Around
Fever - Stage Rehearsal FTD -No Fooling Around
Portrait Of My Love - Stage Rehearsal FTD- No Fooling Around

I think (and hope) there is more to come.
They mention in the linernotes Steamroller blues , so i think that is on the missing rehearsals

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 am

Even after reading 6 pages of posts on this thread I'm still having a hard time deciding whether or not to get this release.

In my collection for this particular Vegas season I already have:
No Fooling Around - bootleg
Elvis At Full Blast - bootleg
Hot August Night - bootleg
Red Hot in Vegas - bootleg
Summer Festival - FTD

As for Elvis' performance in the live concert, is there enough differing content on 3000 South Paradise Road that stands out compared
to the above 5 titles?

Thanks in advance

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 am

That's correct, thermoking, there's still August 2nd & 3rd.

I don't know about a 4th rehearsal, L Ray.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 am

Blue River wrote:Even after reading 6 pages of posts on this thread I'm still having a hard time deciding whether or not to get this release.

Summer Festival - FTD

As for Elvis' performance in the live concert, is there enough differing content on 3000 South Paradise Road that stands out compared
to the above 5 titles?

Thanks in advance

http://itsonlyelvis.blogspot.nl/2012/11 ... -road.html

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm

I just listened to the rehearsal disc and cannot figure out what Elvis sais at the end. Did anybody understand what the King says?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Blue River wrote:Even after reading 6 pages of posts on this thread I'm still having a hard time deciding whether or not to get this release.

Summer Festival - FTD

to the above 5 titles?

Thanks in advance

Blue River, right now I don't want on my shelves anything I won't listen to. I mean, why do I want the first rehearsal cd released by ftd if I won't ever play it? I only want soundboards presenting neat performances with great sound, and even acceptable performances (like memphis 76). Well, all of this to tell you that At Full Blast and the show on 3000 FTD fits this category. I don't care for the others you mention, mainly for sound quality and so similar repertoire. I have picked At Full Blast (for me the best) and the show here on 3000 FTD. As Ray Price sings in his master piece "Time", we all run out of time. So I can't spare my time listening to America FTD having Back In Memphis FTD. Complete Masters+FTD classic albums+assorted soundboards is my current game.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

short review on the rehearsal

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Elvis delivers quite a good performance here i like it!

Until it's Time For You To Go - Elvis seems to hum welcome to my world before some great fun before starting the song ''If i dont start singing there (after the first opening bars) it means i not goin to do the song'' haha, Beautiful version with elvis changing the lyrics one time into ''We'll make a space in ur teeth that we plan'' lol further more its a good version.

You've Lost That Loving Feeling - some mic overload during the intro, Elvis gives a stellar version. in some ways this reminds me of the rehearsal from 2 years earlier (as released on E.A.P) Great version!.

Burning Love - Not performed during this seasons concerts, and wouldnt return until November. Elvis does a false start, and says its to slow, then elvis gives quite a good version, but forgets a few lyrics ''Flaming Flaming, Burning and nothing can cool me?'' nonetheless a enjoyable version, with a fun reprise at the end with elvis explaining they never got the ending right

What Now My Love (Version 1 & 2) - I doing those together because i think those are both beautiful versions. performed at a slower tempo then on Aloha, and sincere! definatly a highlight

My Babe - The band starts the song but stops. then elvis starts the song solo, and the band follows' not sung on full power because elvis would give the song the power it needs 6 hours later during his live show. To bad the guitar solo was left out during the live show. a fun longer version then usual (my babe runs for 2 minutes during live versions. here it runs for 3:17! another highlight!

For The Good Times - Beautiful version. Sincere and the violins do add something to this version. Beautiful is all i can say

True love Travels on A Gravel Road - A Diffrent rehearsal then the one we already heard, on a slightly slower tempo, with a false start (How many girls choose cotton dress... sh*t! But then starts a great version! really wondering why it was left out of the live shows. Elvis still had the voice for it, this version and the other prove this! A highlight for sure

Fever - hmm, I prefer to hear the aloha version, and this version runs (for me) just to long (4:40), but this is a good version and elvis aint screwing it up.

Blueberry hill - Another highlight elvis wouldnt use the song (part of it) until 74 in his medleys, here elvis performs also the lines ''The wind in the willow place, love sweet melody, dadadad vows we made, where never to be'' Enjoyable version, which elvis had done it more often!.

Little Sister-Get Back - Incomplete opening, probably because this was the point the cassete was changed. reminds me of the 1970 rehearsal, enjoyable and runs for longer then most live versions even if the opening is incomplete.

I'll remember you - only heard partly on the on tour rehearsals, except for a false start with some joking, elvis restarts the song and does a beautiful version. I must note elvis done this song in Lake Tahoe in 1974 to for one time, and thats probably the only version from 1974.

American Trilogy - a song still fresh, since january, a song i was looking forward to, elvis gives a beautiful version. just beautiful,altough elvis jokes a bit ''so shh shh hush little baby (laughs)'' we must not forget that elvis was the one who arranged those '3 songs together'' to make American Trilogy.. sometimes elvis could have a little more appriciation for his arrangements.

Something - a song i like, elvis performed this in june in chicago, and rehearses this song for his august season.. yet he hasnt used it!. a good version. it wouldnt be performed until January 12 1973 (Rehearsal for Aloha), Great version and more sincere then the aloha versions. Pretty long version to running 3:55

Faded Love - A raretie in my opinion, Elvis rehearses this song, but wouldnt perform it until February 1973!, he makes a joke about faded sex lol!, Great version with some awesome guitar work from James!. A real Highlight!

You Gave Me A Mountain - Also quite ''New'' since its debut in January, altough elvis already sung it alot since then, and that makes me wonder why a rehearsal was needed?, But a great version nonetheless!.

I'm Leavin' - elvis jokes ''Not really.. thats just the name of the song!, lalalala'' then the song starts and elvis gives a beautiful rendition, much like the 1971 versions. a song that couldnt be harmed by elvis.

My Way (Version 1 & 2) - Beautiful version, i like the evolving of this song from the 1970 excerpt live, to the 1971 studio versions, to the beautiful renditions elvis gave from '72 up till june 25 1977, on the first version here elvis seems a bit distracted and does several false starts, trying to work out how he wants it to sound. version 2 is better and beautiful to, altough again a false start, elvis gives a beautiful version here.

I hope you all enjoyed my review

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Not sure what you mean when you say Elvis arranged An American Trilogy.

He took Mickey Newbury's original arrangement and added the big ending.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 pm

elvisjock wrote:Not sure what you mean when you say Elvis arranged An American Trilogy.

He took Mickey Newbury's original arrangement and added the big ending.

Elvis version is diffrent to mickey newbury, Elvis arranged the orchestral music for it, Mickey does it on acoustic guitar.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.