Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:14 am

Blue River wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:Are we sure that the last show was a complete sellout?
At the end of the CD we hear Al talking about the limited
number of seats available for the Sunday Afternoon show.

The seats that Al Dvorin spoke of were more than likely added due to demand. My guess is that they sold those quickly.

Without a doubt –– he was red-hot at the Garden...

IMG_0259.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:29 am

Blue River wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:Are we sure that the last show was a complete sellout?
At the end of the CD we hear Al talking about the limited
number of seats available for the Sunday Afternoon show.

The seats that Al Dvorin spoke of were more than likely added due to demand. My guess is that they sold those quickly.

I wish we knew for sure.

Needless to say I was surprised to
hear Al announce that.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 am

Just watched the footage again and the end of "Proud Mary" with the cool ending... Brilliant moves!!

Also the conclusion of 'Trilogy' –– I do believe he matches the ALOHA vocal power, in fact I think he tops it. It's a close call –– and the 'huh' to finish indicating a full-power Elvis performance –– brilliant!!

It is Stunning footage –– still watching and enjoying it. Been reading the numerous reviews on the net and 99% positive...

Thanks Ernst & gang and SONY 8)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:Just watched the footage again and the end of "Proud Mary" with the cool ending... Brilliant moves!!

Also the conclusion of 'Trilogy' –– I do believe he matches the ALOHA vocal power, in fact I think he tops it. It's a close call –– and the 'huh' to finish indicating a full-power Elvis performance –– brilliant!!

It is Stunning footage –– still watching and enjoying it. Been reading the numerous reviews on the net and 99% positive...

The blank screen feature just gets better and better.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:04 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Just watched the footage again and the end of "Proud Mary" with the cool ending... Brilliant moves!!

Accentuate the positive...

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:07 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

The packaging just gets better and better...

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 am

Over the Xmas holidays - i've tried to fill the blank gaps with other Madison / On Tour & Aloha footage and hide those annoying sprockets, works so far . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyOeGOgKnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYdgcErSTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CG6ZUD2xXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGyjFvX8wXE
Last edited by AVSP on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Should have had proper jewel cases...But what the hell...

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Love the packaging - here's a few more pics found in the ELVIS FASHION FTD BOOK:

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 pm

AVSP wrote:Over the Xmas holidays - i've tried to fill the blank gaps with other Madison / On Tour & Aloha footage and hide those annoying sprockets, works so far . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyOeGOgKnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYdgcErSTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CG6ZUD2xXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGyjFvX8wXE

Well done. Sony could use a guy like you to edit their material.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks its a labour of love . . .

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm

AVSP wrote:Thanks its a labour of love . . .

Great pleasure looking at this footage.
I watched it rarely so far as I can't really enjoy the black spots.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:15 am

Sorry to say, but the PFAP remixes just doesn't do it for me, I listened to them once and the original mixes (as found on the Legacy Edition) will remain the go-to mixes for me. It's somewhat hard to describe the approach taken here but to me these remixes almost sound like a stereo fold-down of a surround mix, reminiscent of the sound usually present on DVDs with a high degree of digital manipulation (incl. delays and compression).

The main detraction for me is the distorted vocals that now sound completely unnatural, lacking in analog warmth plus mixed a bit too low for my taste. Elvis' vocals should be the center piece of any mix, sadly they are not the center piece here. Perhaps this approach works well in conjunction with the video product but in terms of pure audio enjoyment this type of manipulation is definitely a step back and way too modern for my taste.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:24 am

thenexte wrote:Sorry to say, but the PFAP remixes just doesn't do it for me, I listened to them once and the original mixes (as found on the Legacy Edition) will remain the go-to mixes for me. It's somewhat hard to describe the approach taken here but to me these remixes almost sound like a stereo fold-down of a surround mix, reminiscent of the sound usually present on DVDs with a high degree of digital manipulation (incl. delays and compression).

The main detraction for me is the distorted vocals that now sound completely unnatural, lacking in analog warmth plus mixed a bit too low for my taste. Elvis' vocals should be the center piece of any mix, sadly they are not the center piece here. Perhaps this approach works well in conjunction with the video product but in terms of pure audio enjoyment this type of manipulation is definitely a step back and way too modern for my taste.

just listened to the Afternoon Show again today. His voice sounds fantastic. Funny how people see things so differently.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 am

I agree that the Legacy Edition of the original mixes sounds much better than Prince From Another Planet.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am

thenexte wrote:Sorry to say, but the PFAP remixes just doesn't do it for me, I listened to them once and the original mixes (as found on the Legacy Edition) will remain the go-to mixes for me. It's somewhat hard to describe the approach taken here but to me these remixes almost sound like a stereo fold-down of a surround mix, reminiscent of the sound usually present on DVDs with a high degree of digital manipulation (incl. delays and compression).

Maybe listening to the new mixes isn't enough to soak it up. When I first heard the new mix I was not sure but after repeated plays I now love the Brauer mix. T o me Elvis' voice sounds full and clear. Also the concert sounds exciting to listen to with all instruments balanced well. I haven't yet got the Legacy version and don't know whether I will due to cost but at the end of the day it's down to your taste.

But here's a test: If you can decipher what Elvis say's on "Polk Salad Annie" (afternoon show footage) when he puts his thumb up to someone in the crowd ––" go down by the .......?" on the LEGACY edition I may indeed buy a copy.

Cheers

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm

I finally picked this up ... and can't put it down!

Both albums sound fantastic ... I'm sometimes let down by reissues, etc, that claim improved sound and the like, but this set delivers ... you're literally in MSG with these!

I'm a big Afternoon fan, but right now like the night show ....

... as for the DVD, it also is a big part of this time machine - from showing the outside of the venue in '72 to when he walks out is just amazing.

The booklet is well done, too ... just a perfect set, and an important document of popular music history.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Change of Clambake wrote:I finally picked this up ... and can't put it down!

Both albums sound fantastic ... I'm sometimes let down by reissues, etc, that claim improved sound and the like, but this set delivers ... you're literally in MSG with these!

I'm a big Afternoon fan, but right now like the night show ....

... as for the DVD, it also is a big part of this time machine - from showing the outside of the venue in '72 to when he walks out is just amazing.

The booklet is well done, too ... just a perfect set, and an important document of popular music history.

I can't stop playing it too...

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Maybe listening to the new mixes isn't enough to soak it up. When I first heard the new mix I was not sure but after repeated plays I now love the Brauer mix. T o me Elvis' voice sounds full and clear. Also the concert sounds exciting to listen to with all instruments balanced well. I haven't yet got the Legacy version and don't know whether I will due to cost but at the end of the day it's down to your taste.

But here's a test: If you can decipher what Elvis say's on "Polk Salad Annie" (afternoon show footage) when he puts his thumb up to someone in the crowd ––" go down by the .......?" on the LEGACY edition I may indeed buy a copy.

Cheers

Yes. His voice sounds full and clear. That's what I get out of it also.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:54 pm

I've watched clips of Elvis at MSG before and thought he was past his peak but this product has changed my mind! Wow, Elvis really took it up a level at these concerts and the footage shows him smiling and having a great time on stage. He doesn't look bored and although the moves are not quite as 'spontaneous' as in TTWII, they are still exciting - especially the karate in Suspicious Minds. The sound is great and the band is really cookin. Elvis' voice is rich and full and everything's at perfect pitch. The song choice on the afternoon show is particularly well paced (unlike the very pedestrian setlist chosen for Aloha from Hawaii.) I especially liked the bluesy Heartbreak Hotel, Never Been to Spain and Reconsider Baby. Hound Dog was great fun. I even liked the sped up PSA! The afternoon show is my favourite of the two concerts. I would have liked some pics to fill in the blanks on the dvd and an option to skip to the footage only but this is a small gripe. Overall, I found the package excellent with a great accompanying booklet - 9/10.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 pm

quote="heathbarclay"]I've watched clips of Elvis at MSG before and thought he was past his peak but this product has changed my mind! Wow, Elvis really took it up a level at these concerts and the footage shows him smiling and having a great time on stage. He doesn't look bored and although the moves are not quite as 'spontaneous' as in TTWII, they are still exciting - especially the karate in Suspicious Minds. The sound is great and the band is really cookin. Elvis' voice is rich and full and everything's at perfect pitch. The song choice on the afternoon show is particularly well paced (unlike the very pedestrian setlist chosen for Aloha from Hawaii.) I especially liked the bluesy Heartbreak Hotel, Never Been to Spain and Reconsider Baby. Hound Dog was great fun. I even liked the sped up PSA! The afternoon show is my favourite of the two concerts. I would have liked some pics to fill in the blanks on the dvd and an option to skip to the footage only but this is a small gripe. Overall, I found the package excellent with a great accompanying booklet - 9/10.[/quote]
Spot on!
He's so cool on 'That's All Right' - just after the guitar solo he stands back with guitar for a second, then again before the final guitar thrust; so cool and assured--- reminds me of his performance from TTWII SE opening (Mystery Train/Tigerman).
[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachmen

On PSA he stands with his eyes closed composing himself for the last chorus before the stunning finish. Like you say he's smiling and totally focused - brilliant!!!
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm

L Ray wrote:Yes. His voice sounds full and clear.

If only, but that's just one of the problems with these new mix/masters.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Matthew wrote:
L Ray wrote:Yes. His voice sounds full and clear.

If only, but that's just one of the problems with these new mix/masters.

I can't fault the new masters...

Great article in the new Essential Elvis mag --
image.jpg

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

It is a very nice set, just a shame the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Well done Michael Brauer and your damned compressors, you ruined something that had a lot of potential. Oh well, at least there's the Legacy Edition.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 pm

L Ray wrote:

Cheers

Yes. His voice sounds full and clear. That's what I get out of it also.

Have you done a side by side comparison of the legacy reissues?