Off Topic Messages

question about DVR recording

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 am

Is there anyway to transfer a saved recorded tv program or movie to DVD from the DVR? I have a couple shows that i would like to save to DVD for my own collection and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do this? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: question about DVR recording

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 am

http://www.howtodothings.com/electronic ... o-dvd.html
If you have a Standalone DVD Burner this is one method, but you didn't specify.

http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrbasics/bb/Co ... Device.htm
The other option to burn with your PC would be to use a Capture Card/Device.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:18 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Is there anyway to transfer a saved recorded tv program or movie to DVD from the DVR? I have a couple shows that i would like to save to DVD for my own collection and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do this? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help!

Promiseland's links are useful, but a blunt answer would be: "there is a way, but it's a royal pain in the butt!"

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks for your replies to my question. I miss the days when you just poped a vhs tape in and taped a tv show LOL. Seems from others I've talked to also, that alot of the TV stations copy protect their broadcasts from being recorded as well, so it may be a waste of time even trying to save programs to DVD from DVR. I don't want to waste any blank discs in the process.Thanks again Guys for your input! ::rocks

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 am

I can't see it very well from here, but I think it has a USB out . . . and another place for a some kind of memory insert (like older photo printers used to have), and another "out" for . . . I can't see it well enough from here. But there are apparently connections. I guess it's knowing what to do with 'em. I know when the cable company wants to upgrade, I DO NOT wish to lose some of the things I recorded! I kept some of them permanently, like I did the last time, but the last time they upgraded it, I lost everything I kept. One of those connections must work. (I have that upscaling DVD/VHS transfer combo, and it connects with EVERYTHING, so I would guess that might do it. But that's not connected here. I would think a new Blu-Ray device might have all those similar connections? That device is a very new model. Still haven't begun the transfers yet: daunting task.)

Good luck, and if you could let us know how it goes, I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

rjm

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Thanks for your replies to my question. I miss the days when you just poped a vhs tape in and taped a tv show LOL. Seems from others I've talked to also, that alot of the TV stations copy protect their broadcasts from being recorded as well, so it may be a waste of time even trying to save programs to DVD from DVR. I don't want to waste any blank discs in the process.Thanks again Guys for your input! ::rocks

Never heard of such a thing. How do they do that ?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am

Are you talking about using a combined DVR/DVD Recorder? The method should be described in the manual - I think you pretty much set the recorder going at the same time as you play back the show. You have to record in real time.

If you have two separate bits of equipment you may be able to connect them up using analogue cables, and tune the DVD recorder so that the signal from the DVR becomes a 'Channel'. You then play back the recorded show and record it as you would any other TV programme.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:34 am

I do this all the time.

I just take a RCA plug (yellow for video and red and white for audio) and run it from the output on the back of my Direc TV DVR and run it to the input on my Panasonic
DVD-R input.

It' works fine and I have been doing this for years.

I hope this helps.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

it depends on how modern your equipment is .
mine is a dvd HDD recorder which means anything i save to the internal memory i can then just transfer to a dvdr at a later date if i wish

how i do it..
record programme to HDD memory
insert blank dvdr into drive
go to settings
HDD - Dvd
select this option
choose the programe from the list of recorded ones
select
and record

i can even do it in real time or high speed copy

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Mitch wrote:I just take a RCA plug (yellow for video and red and white for audio) and run it from the output on the back of my Direc TV DVR and run it to the input on my Panasonic
DVD-R input.

It' works fine and I have been doing this for years.

This is certainly the easiest - and often only practical - method.

However, it is worth noting that you are making a digital-to-analogue-to-digital conversion and so the quality will be degraded.

Chris