Off Topic Messages

Fantastic LUX Radio version of It's A Wonderful Life

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Long a favourite of mine to listen to on New Years Eve, here it is. If you haven't heard it, PLEASE find the time. Shut your eyes and be taken in. Brilliant!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: Fantastic LUX Radio version of It's A Wonderful Life

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 am

thank you for sharing this for others to hear. My husband has this and hundreds of other old time radio shows. Many people don't know that much about OTR. I know I didn't until he turned me on to it. This is a very well done production and to think, it was aired live in people's homes for free back in those days! Old time radio was(and is) wonderful.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:29 pm

sgoodyear62 wrote:thank you for sharing this for others to hear. My husband has this and hundreds of other old time radio shows. Many people don't know that much about OTR. I know I didn't until he turned me on to it. This is a very well done production and to think, it was aired live in people's homes for free back in those days! Old time radio was(and is) wonderful.

Wholeheartedly in agreement.

I have hundreds of thousands of old time radio shows in my collection. I am a huge fan and listen to them daily - far more entertaining than television or movies in my opinion.

What are some of your favourite shows?

I'm a big fan of The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee And Molly, Amos & Andy, The Big Show, The Harold Peary Show, You Bet Your Life, The Mel Blanc Show, Rocky Fortune, Point Sublime, My Friend Irma, The Halls Of Ivy, Suspense, The Whistler, Lux radio Theatre, Old Gold Comedy Theatre, Our Miss Brooks, Yours Truly - Johnny Dollar, Let George Do It, The Smiths Of Hollywood, It Pays To Be Ignorant.....

Do you know, I could go on and on for ever lol!

Do you have the three complete broadcast days (24 hour complete unedited broadcasts)? There's one from WJSV Washington from September 1939 and two from D-Day June 6th 1944 - one from NBC and one from CBS. These are real time capsules that EVERYONE should experience at LEAST once. I'm currently re-listening the D-Day ones which are gripping from start to finish with constant breaking news. Really feels like it's all happening right now!

Always a pleasure to meet other OTR fans! Happy new year! :D

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Have the cast re-done it as a radio play, or has the station just broadcast the soundtrack of the film ?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Colin, LUX Radio theatre was generally directed by Cecil B DeMille and featured radio plays based on recent Hollywood films. In many cases, the stars of the films appeared, but usually with a different cast and of course the scripts were cleverly re-worked for radio.

This is no exception. James is still in the lead role, but alongside other players. It's excellent.

The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings again are other favourites of mine, and The Jazz Singer - all three starring Al himself. I never tire of these. There's even The Wizard Of Oz with Judy Garland and a different cast. Check them out and download these and millions of other radio stuff for free at www.archive.org .
Last edited by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:thank you for sharing this for others to hear. My husband has this and hundreds of other old time radio shows. Many people don't know that much about OTR. I know I didn't until he turned me on to it. This is a very well done production and to think, it was aired live in people's homes for free back in those days! Old time radio was(and is) wonderful.

Wholeheartedly in agreement.

I have hundreds of thousands of old time radio shows in my collection. I am a huge fan and listen to them daily - far more entertaining than television or movies in my opinion.

What are some of your favourite shows?

I'm a big fan of The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee And Molly, Amos & Andy, The Big Show, The Harold Peary Show, You Bet Your Life, The Mel Blanc Show, Rocky Fortune, Point Sublime, My Friend Irma, The Halls Of Ivy, Suspense, The Whistler, Lux radio Theatre, Old Gold Comedy Theatre, Our Miss Brooks, Yours Truly - Johnny Dollar, Let George Do It, The Smiths Of Hollywood, It Pays To Be Ignorant.....

Do you know, I could go on and on for ever lol!

Do you have the three complete broadcast days (24 hour complete unedited broadcasts)? There's one from WJSV Washington from September 1939 and two from D-Day June 6th 1944 - one from NBC and one from CBS. These are real time capsules that EVERYONE should experience at LEAST once. I'm currently re-listening the D-Day ones which are gripping from start to finish with constant breaking news. Really feels like it's all happening right now!

Always a pleasure to meet other OTR fans! Happy new year! :D

My husband has the complete WJSV broadcast day, and his favs are the Shadow, Inner Sanctum,any Christmas shows and Quiet Please and Light's Out. I like our Miss Brooks (very funny) show, Jack Benny,anything with Orsen Welles and the great Gildersleeve. Yes much better than anything on TV these days! My husbands Grandfather got him hooked on OTR back in the '70's when a local radio station use to air a 2hour show on saturday afternoons he told me. OTR is much better than audio books in my opinion.There is a website called Archive.org that has thousands of shows for free download. worth checking out.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:36 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:My husband has the complete WJSV broadcast day, and his favs are the Shadow, Inner Sanctum,any Christmas shows and Quiet Please and Light's Out. I like our Miss Brooks (very funny) show, Jack Benny,anything with Orsen Welles and the great Gildersleeve. Yes much better than anything on TV these days! My husbands Grandfather got him hooked on OTR back in the '70's when a local radio station use to air a 2hour show on saturday afternoons he told me. OTR is much better than audio books in my opinion.There is a website called Archive.org that has thousands of shows for free download. worth checking out.

Great choices there! Have you heard the series MACARBRE? That's another great one!!

If you like Gildersleeve (and who COULDN'T love that series??) you'll enjoy his own series which he did on CBS when he left the program in 1950 and was replaced by Wilard Waterman.

It's basically the same format, with similar characters and situations (even Leila Ransom reprises her role as Florabelle Breckenridge - exact same character) and very enjoyable. The series is complete in great quality and all available on archive . org. Right here: http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Harold_ ... ow_Singles

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:My husband has the complete WJSV broadcast day, and his favs are the Shadow, Inner Sanctum,any Christmas shows and Quiet Please and Light's Out. I like our Miss Brooks (very funny) show, Jack Benny,anything with Orsen Welles and the great Gildersleeve. Yes much better than anything on TV these days! My husbands Grandfather got him hooked on OTR back in the '70's when a local radio station use to air a 2hour show on saturday afternoons he told me. OTR is much better than audio books in my opinion.There is a website called Archive.org that has thousands of shows for free download. worth checking out.

Great choices there! Have you heard the series MACARBRE? That's another great one!!

If you like Gildersleeve (and who COULDN'T love that series??) you'll enjoy his own series which he did on CBS when he left the program in 1950 and was replaced by Wilard Waterman.

It's basically the same format, with similar characters and situations (even Leila Ransom reprises her role as Florabelle Breckenridge - exact same character) and very enjoyable. The series is complete in great quality and all available on archive . org. Right here: http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Harold_ ... ow_Singles

I will have to check out Macarbre, sounds like something my husband would like.Thanks for your suggestions! :D

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Macabre can be found here:

http://archive.org/details/Macabre_35

It was made by the US Armed Forces Radio by actual men in uniform who acted in it, wrote and directed it and did the sound engineering. Spooky as hell and very entertaining! Your husband will love it :D

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Hi Colin, LUX Radio theatre was generally directed by Cecil B DeMille and featured radio plays based on recent Hollywood films...

The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings again are other favourites of mine...

Thanks, SLGM !

It must have made a change for the 'Jolson' actor not needing to 'black up' for once !

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Macabre can be found here:

http://archive.org/details/Macabre_35

It was made by the US Armed Forces Radio by actual men in uniform who acted in it, wrote and directed it and did the sound engineering. Spooky as hell and very entertaining! Your husband will love it :D

Downloaded some of the "Macabre" shows for my husband..he really enjoyed them!! He said he never heard of these shoes before! Thank you for suggesting them! :D

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Downloaded some of the "Macabre" shows for my husband..he really enjoyed them!! He said he never heard of these shoes before! Thank you for suggesting them! :D

Thought he would :) It was my pleasure!