Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: Who changed the date of the box from 7/31/69 OS to 8/3/6

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:Joan Deary changed the date

Where did she know from it was 8/3/69 DS..?

Joan Deary changed the date to july 31
for what we know is the date august 3 and 5
I dont know for sure but life story is from the 5th, ???

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:32 pm

It`s getting interesting now..lol..

You mean the tape is a patchwork of more than just one soundboard..?

I have an AR of August 5 MS,..I will check life story ..

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Ciscoking wrote:It`s getting interesting now..lol..

You mean the tape is a patchwork of more than just one soundboard..?

I have an AR of August 5 MS,..I will check life story ..

yes i believe its a patchwork

greetings

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:56 pm

You have other pieces you think are not of the show in question..which I could compare with audience recordings..?
Finding them by myself is impossible..you hear no cuts..could the Baxter tape be the one which Deary already had prepared for release..?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

The Baxter tape came from the DAT that was made from that tape

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:47 pm

This means they are identical and the Baxter people just took what Deary had left..be it original or already worked on for release.. as eg the Dallas tape...

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:19 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Could be but... why the sound is so "even"?
I think we should be told!

Same way as the sound of the Silver Box concert and the Spring Tours tapes...

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

elvisjock wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Could be but... why the sound is so "even"?
I think we should be told!

Same way as the sound of the Silver Box concert and the Spring Tours tapes...

Yep..the "even sound" doesn`t necessarily mean it`s only one show..

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:39 am

Look on the box it says binaural so it's either a 2 track soundboard or mix from a multitrack? this could be a great question For Ernst.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm

The audience tape dated 8/3/69 DS turned out to be an edited version of 8/6/69 DS as released on The Return Of The Tiger Man.

Thank you,... Elvisjock for the fine research... ::rocks

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:

I only have an AR of August 5th, MS..and there`s no match..

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

On a tangent, I'm curious as to why Joan worked on this tape at A&M Studios. Was RCA's facility at 6363 Sunset already closed by this point?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 pm

i have been told that Deary had never a clue about the correct date
of the tape..she only knew 8/69

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I don`t think so..it`s archived.. 68/8/?...

The tape you see is not the orginal concert tape , but a preparation for an album.
Joan deary just assumed it was the opening show. Maybe thats why she dropped the idea
And Joan Deary was never accurate with dates

You mean..there still is another tape with the correct date on it..?
I don`t get it..could you please explain..?

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:

And if you explain this to me..I see something between these two answers..but cannot combine at the moment..
You can..I am sure.. :wink:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
dougkapp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Another consideration regarding this recording is that it may not be a soundboard source at all.

Maybe ... because it has very good sound quality - for a soundboard - and voice of Elvis is very clear.
Could it be that the tape would have received some overdubbs?

No, my point is that this early 1969 live recording that Joan Deary fiddled with in 1979 may have not come from the mixing desk.

Has isn't been speculated that the audio may come form a video feed? If so, I wonder who taped it and where the footage is?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Looking at the tape-box it's dated march 13, 1979. So it's assumable Joan Deary and RCA started working on the project almost 10 years after the actual recordings. Working title for the project could have been 'Opening Night - July 31, 1969. Maybe the working title had been chosen because of the actual return from Elvis on a stage, and has nothing to do whatsoever with the recording-date(s).

About the actual recording-dates; as long as no other documents survive it will be very hard to define the actual recording-date. But - parts of the dialoque seem to be on Having Fun With Elvis On Stage. The sound seems to be to good to be a soundboard recording. Most probably it's a 2-track cecording. RCA looked again at this particular material for the 1991 Collectors Gold box, but considered they had better alternative recordings to release.

About the tape-legend: here is the tapelegend for a 1985 re-release of Elvis' 1956 album dated June 21, 1984.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Okay,.that is what I expected...and also thought..and I think you are 100% right...perhaps she even thought this was the very first show of this Vegas gig..and was indeed the "Opening Night" for her..in the vaults it must have been stored as the very first tape of all these soundboards..anyway..she was not good with dates..
If the tape legend we have now....is the "working sheet" of Deary..where is the original tape legend...lost..?..
And what about the date on the original cassette tape..?..Perhaps no date on it..?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 am

One more thought..we can all be sure that the Baxter people only had the tape and tape legend that were used by Deary for release purpose..nothing from the original audio and paperwork.
The people who had the originals were those who made the Having Fun On Stage LP back in 1974...and they should know the whole story...perhpas aomeone out there..?
Another point..on this LP we have at least a 2 track source..as it has been said before...now a crazy idea..what..if the tape that Deary left was a dubdown of a multitrack (the one used for the LP)...? You know the only multi track which is unreleased in any form..it`s August 23, 1969 DS (coincidence: the dates are identical but the "2")..what do you think..?
The DS comment by Elvis in the show could be meant tongue-in-cheek...

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 am

Ciscoking wrote:Another point..on this LP we have at least a 2 track source..as it has been said before...now a crazy idea..what..if the tape that Deary left was a dubdown of a multitrack (the one used for the LP)...? You know the only multi track which is unreleased in any form..it`s August 23, 1969 DS (coincidence: the dates are identical but the "2")..what do you think..?

An interesting thought. Have you asked Ernst about this?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Ciscoking wrote:One more thought..we can all be sure that the Baxter people only had the tape and tape legend that were used by Deary for release purpose..nothing from the original audio and paperwork.
The people who had the originals were those who made the Having Fun On Stage LP back in 1974...and they should know the whole story...perhpas aomeone out there..?
Another point..on this LP we have at least a 2 track source..as it has been said before...now a crazy idea..what..if the tape that Deary left was a dubdown of a multitrack (the one used for the LP)...? You know the only multi track which is unreleased in any form..it`s August 23, 1969 DS (coincidence: the dates are identical but the "2")..what do you think..?

The Baxter people make a copy of the DAT tape that was made in the RCA Vaulths in Indianapolis
The Having Fun With Elvis On stage was made by Colonel Parker who owns a lot of soundboard tapes
He was forced to handle over all the tapes to RCA
Here is a youtube clip about collenel Parkers Office in Madison tennessee

phpBB [video]

BOXCAR_HAVING_FUN_FRONT.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I think the original tape and the original paperwork are lost...this date 8/3/69 DS might either spring from a person having been involved in the Having Fun On Stage project..and who remembered..or well..it`s speculation.. I cannot come closer to the truth..
I have asked Ernst...I will keep you informed...the FTD vaults just give the general infos we know.."deary tape 8/?/69..
If anybody knows what happened to the original tape and the original paperwork...just join the party..

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Did you enquire about the August 23rd DS?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Sure...

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 am

Ciscoking wrote:And what about the date on the original cassette tape..?..Perhaps no date on it..?

What original cassette tape?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

The Baxter people only had a DAT copy..what about the original..? Is there a date on it..