Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:44 am

Ciscoking wrote:What`s "the Clambake incident"..?


In the middle of the night Elvis fell and hit his head prior to reporting for "Clambake" in March 1967. He apparently sustained a serious concussion, and those close to him felt it was due to being out of it on downers. The setback meant production would be delayed, and a certain amount of money lost.

Management seized the event as an opportunity to rid Elvis of people who seemed detrimental to his well-being, such as Larry Geller, and to both organize and reduce the size of his retinue. Elvis agreed to every "suggestion" without a fight. Geller believed Presley was both brow-beaten and drugged. This was also the time period where the management contract was renegotiated to a 50/50 split of most gross profits -- an abomination unheard of for a major talent.

Two months later, Elvis was married at the Aladdin in Las Vegas, with everything arranged by management. Elvis had ceded control of his personal and professional life to a 57 year-old Dutchman named Tom Parker.

Weird time.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 am

The contract was signed in march 1967 but backdated in January 1967? I read also that the contract from January 1972 2/3 Elvis and 1/3 Parker tours profits was applied from november 1971 tour. The Colonel was "generous" with Elvis only in 1976 and 1977-they signed in January 1976 the 50/50 split on tour profits but Parker apllied this rule only in June 1977 CBS special deal -but only temporary, he kept the records for the future time for the purpose that Elvis will pay this debt when he will have enough cash.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:11 am

Some very good writting on this thread. Thanks Doc RJM and the others who put things in perspective with humanity.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:24 am

Xaykev wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:And he puffs up like a balloon a few weeks later with a Cushingoid face for his Jaycee's award.

An exaggeration, isn't it?



December 1970

Image

Image

Image

January 1971 (Jaycee's Award)

Image

Image

Image

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Yes, his appearance is changed in the six week period between the portrait session and the Jaycee breakfast. But, as your photos prove, Elvis is not "puffed up like a balloon." Thus, your original statement is indeed an exaggeration.

Again, you have a prurient-like obsession with Elvis' physical decline. Why is that?

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes, his appearance is changed in the six week period between the portrait session and the Jaycee breakfast. But, as your photos prove, Elvis is not "puffed up like a balloon." Thus, your original statement is indeed an exaggeration.



"And he puffs up like a balloon a few weeks later with a Cushingoid face for his Jaycee's award."

-->> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simile

A simile is a figure of speech that directly compares two different things, usually by employing the words "like" or "as" – also, but less commonly, "if", or "than".

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Again, you have a prurient-like obsession with Elvis' physical decline. Why is that?



Does the discourse elevating Doctor have a prurient-like obsession with death? Why is that?

drjohncarpenter wrote:The book is not necessairly morbid -- it's much more like reading a mystery. In this case, the question at hand was "How did Elvis die?" Things were not so clear-cut 25 to 30 years ago.

If you are someone fascinated with the Elvis story, and appreciate an intelligent, compassionate and well-researched work, The Death of Elvis by Thompson II and Cole is an essential purchase.


drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Jim Morisson drink a lot of alcohol but he died when he mixed alcohol with drugs in July 1971.


His death was apparently caused by heroin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Morrison#Death


drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
likethebike wrote:However, when an artist dies of drugs in a hot streak like Amy Winehouse...

Amy Winehouse's death was caused by accidental alcohol poisoning NOT drugs.


Correct. The official verdict was misadventure, death by alcohol intoxication:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Winehouse#Death

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 am

It is telling you don't answer my query, and I've asked it twice over.

My suspicion is that you are making yourself feel better by obsessing in great detail over Elvis' physical decline in the '70s.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is telling you don't answer my query, and I've asked it twice over.

My suspicion is that you are making yourself feel better by obsessing in great detail over Elvis' physical decline in the '70s.


I don't agree with the premise of your insulting question or your "suspicion," both of which contradict your claim of "always elevating discourse."

Using the same logic, you will note you failed to answer my question.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 am

Aw, what the heck! I will referee. (I must be COMPLETELY mad. But I'm in a mood.)

I think what DJC is saying here, Mr. Lunch, (JustKidding! It's an amusing handle, and I like it.) based on the photos you posted to make the point, is that the original question in the OP was rhetorical in nature. The only difference being is that you DID wish a reply, but still, you knew the answer, and if not provided, you'd provide it. That, judging by photographs, and your knowledge of the dates, you already "knew the answer" which you sought, but for whatever reason, wanted it all spelled out again. I'm not saying I understand anyone else's motives, 'cause I don't, but that may be how it appeared. That the question was rhetorical, or really, already known, and intended to spark a discussion that would be solved by posting the photos.

That might be a conclusion that one might draw. If not, then I'm wrong, and it's a misunderstanding. And whatever happens next, I will not get involved! Heaven help me. :facep:

rjm (If I ever get involved like this again, deck me.)

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 am

How beautiful pictures! Elvis looked gorgeous there with Lisa and Cilla. Are really from December 1970? In January 1971 he looks a little different, that's all. To me really bad he looked in October 1973 (the divorce pictures)

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi there!!! :D :D :D.

debtd1 wrote:this is her book....


Thanks, will try to borrow or buy one of this book :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Balloon was the wrong word to use. Elvis' appearance changed from month to month during the 70's due to the drug use. These are 8 good photos IMO. As the 70's wore on, his appearance changed more dramatically, and I can post pictures from 1973 on, where he didn't look so good.

Photos from 1970 to 1977

Image
December 10, 1970

Image
November 10, 1971

Image
August 28, 1972

Image
Early September 1973

Image
July 1, 1974

Image
July 19, 1975

Image
October 20, 1976

Image
June 1, 1977

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 pm

How good he looks in July 1975 in his blue suit. So he always had ups and downs, we cannot say he looked at best in 1970 and after that worse every month on. In november 1971 he looked better than in January award pictures.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:53 pm

paulsweeney wrote:Balloon was the wrong word to use. Elvis' appearance changed from month to month during the 70's due to the drug use. These are 8 good photos IMO. As the 70's wore on, his appearance changed more dramatically, and I can post pictures from 1973 on, where he didn't look so good.

Photos from 1970 to 1977

Image
December 10, 1970

Image
November 10, 1971

Image
August 28, 1972

Image
Early September 1973

Image
July 1, 1974

Image
July 19, 1975

Image
October 20, 1976

Image
June 1, 1977

Maybe it is just the angle lighting etc, but Elvis looks pretty good in the June 1st 77 photo. Were there periods during the last year or so where Elvis had cut back his usage somewhat? I'm wondering if all the pics we have seen where he looks so bloated were due to the amount of drugs in his system at the moment.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 pm

December 1970

Image

Image

Image

January 1971 (Jaycee's Award)

Image

Image

Image

What's the big deal?
Like everyone else that time of year, it looks like he may have gained a couple of pounds due to indulging in the plentiful food of the holiday season.

That's the way I see it.
Last edited by Blue River on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:57 pm

rjm wrote:I think what DJC is saying here, Mr. Lunch, (JustKidding! It's an amusing handle, and I like it.) based on the photos you posted to make the point, is that the original question in the OP was rhetorical in nature. The only difference being is that you DID wish a reply, but still, you knew the answer, and if not provided, you'd provide it.


No, it's more than that. Nearly every time there is a discussion of this nature, we will see him post unsolicited, graphic and often-hyperbolic comments regarding Elvis' physical decline, in a purient-like fashion. Here, on this topic he created, we see more of the same. It's gross, and since he does not reveal the reason for his obsession, we can only make assumptions.

And, you are correct, he certainly knew the answer to his query.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey, monklunch dude! You started this thread and I asked you a legitimate question on page one.

Again -
monkboughtlunch wrote:He reportedly took uppers for the 68 Special ...

I don't recall ever hearing or reading about that before. What's your source for that statement?

Is there a chance you could man-up and admit that you're full of crap?

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:02 am

Image
I don't know I think he looked pretty good in early 1971/

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:12 am

Blue River wrote:Hey, monklunch dude! You started this thread and I asked you a legitimate question on page one.

Again -
monkboughtlunch wrote:He reportedly took uppers for the 68 Special ...

I don't recall ever hearing or reading about that before. What's your source for that statement?

Is there a chance you could man-up and admit that you're full of crap?

Binder has said no drugs were around.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 am

Blue River wrote:December 1970

Image

Image

Image

January 1971 (Jaycee's Award)

Image

Image

Image

What's the big deal?
Like everyone else that time of year, it looks like he may have gained a couple of pounds do to indulging in the plentiful food of the holiday season.

That's the way I see it.


According to Candid Central, the photos of Presley and with Lisa and Priscilla above are from Dec. 10. Below are photos claiming to be from Dec 28, and Dec. 31, 1970 in which Presley appears still to be unbloated. If Presley's altered appearance in the Jan. 14, 1971 photos is due to a "couple of pounds" of weight gain from just eating holiday foods as you surmise, are you suggesting the Cushingoid appearance is exclusively the result of holiday food consumption from Jan. 1-13, 1971?

Dec. 28
Image

Image

Dec. 31
Image

Jan. 14

Image

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:40 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:According to Candid Central, the photos of Presley and with Lisa and Priscilla above are from Dec. 10. Below are photos claiming to be from Dec 28, and Dec. 31, 1970 in which Presley appears still to be unbloated. If Presley's altered appearance in the Jan. 14, 1971 photos is due to a "couple of pounds" of weight gain from just eating holiday foods as you surmise, are you suggesting the Cushingoid appearance is exclusively the result of holiday food consumption from Jan. 1-13, 1971?

...

Jan. 14

Image


First, we note another non-reply to your spurious allegation of drug use during the 1968 TV Special, and you've been called on it at least three times. Then, we see more of your creepy obsession with Elvis' declining health -- man, let it go!

And furthermore, get your dates right. The above is from the morning of Saturday, January 16, 1971, as Elvis leaves the Memphis Holiday Inn where they had the Jaycees prayer breakfast.

Below is a shot from the dinner held later that day, set up by Elvis, at the Four Flames restaurant. Not one person or report recalls him as "Cushingoid" in appearance.


710116_dinner at Four Flames_Memphis.JPG

Elvis at the Four Flames Restaurant, 1085 Popular Avenue, Memphis - Saturday, January 16, 1971
The Jaycees Award ceremony was held at Ellis Auditorium later that evening.

Dear, sweet Ron Ziegler ... enough already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 am

That was the greatest tuxedo ever. Something only he would do.

The photo from January, where he's lifting up his glasses, reminds me of his look in those photos from Ginger Alden's grandfather's funeral.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:52 am

He looks so cool in the dinner suit.

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:08 pm

I think the pic from the 16th just happens to be a bad one.........nothing more

Re: What year did Presley start abusing narcotics?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:48 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:"Use of cocaine has not been widely documented but i also believe he became addicted to that in the 71 timeframe which explains in part his grandiosity".

What are your source to say that? The grandiosity explained by cocaine?????? Look: any objectice fan knows that Elvis used and later abused drugs. But your statement looks like a tabloid speculation



Nearly all of the MM have said that Elvis tried liquid cocaine in the mid to late 1970s but....we'll never know.