Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Edge of Reality

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 am

What does everybody think of the song Edge of Reality? I personally like it and thought the scene in the movie Live A Little, Love A Little was cool. I just want to know what everybody on here thinks about it. :D

phpBB [video]

Re: Edge of Reality

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 am

I like it, and it fits the film very well.....

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:12 am

I thought the record was great...then I saw the movie and liked the song even more. Should have been an A side on its own merits.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:36 am

I enjoy it. It's quite an authoritative vocal from Elvis and there's some interesting instrumentation.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 am

episthebest wrote:What does everybody think of the song Edge of Reality? I personally like it and thought the scene in the movie Live A Little, Love A Little was cool. I just want to know what everybody on here thinks about it. :D

phpBB [video]

It's a peculiar number, but at least it showed Elvis was trying to find something new in his music. The soundtrack session was produced by Billy Strange and all four songs are interesting and unique.

March 7, 1968
Wonderful World
Edge of Reality
A Little Less Conversation
Almost in Love

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680307.htm
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680311.htm

This session was the first for Elvis with a live orchestra in the room (for "Wonderful World"), and both the musicians and orchestra would be at the same studio in June for his NBC-TV Special pre-recordings.

Just compare this date at Western Recorders to the work Elvis had done previously with Felton Jarvis in Nashville -- it was a brave new world. Had any of these songs been big hits, Presley might never have worked with Jarvis again.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:41 am

One of my favorite 60's movie songs. The song holds up well even today.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Just compare this date at Western Recorders to the work Elvis had done previously with Felton Jarvis in Nashville -- it was a brave new world. Had any of these songs been big hits, Presley might never have worked with Jarvis again.

I liked this direction and this could have made Him a more modern popstar, and boosted hit record sales in the 70's, including video clips like this

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's a peculiar number, but at least it showed Elvis was trying to find something new in his music. The soundtrack session was produced by Billy Strange and all four songs are interesting and unique.

March 7, 1968
Wonderful World
Edge of Reality
A Little Less Conversation
Almost in Love
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680307.htm
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680311.htm

This session was the first for Elvis with a live orchestra in the room (for "Wonderful World"), and both the musicians and orchestra would be at the same studio in June for his NBC-TV Special pre-recordings.

Just compare this date at Western Recorders to the work Elvis had done previously with Felton Jarvis in Nashville -- it was a brave new world.

Yes, a brave new world indeed!
I fully enjoy the unique sound of Elvis' 1968 & '69 soundtrack recordings.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 am

I've always liked the song.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 am

I love it, not often it gets a mention though...........

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:43 am

Wonderful song and dance sequence-close to a psyhedelic experience.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I love the song and it is one of my favourite from the 60's. Elvis singing is really strong on this song.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Great song. Maybe should have been saved for an A side. I think a great candidate for a remix also( like ALLC was if there still is a market for this sort of thing.)

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Big hit in Australia from what I remember.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Like this song a lot. I've always liked it.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Always liked the song, and the movie dance sequence gave us some real «Elvis moves» for the first time in a long while.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:38 pm

oh yeah...definitely love this one :smt001

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I always like this song. Seemed to fit that era very well and still holds up well today.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Love the song. It's a breath of fresh air after a lot of the soundtrack material in the years leading up to it.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Mister Mike wrote:Always liked the song, and the movie dance sequence gave us some real «Elvis moves» for the first time in a long while.

It's definitely one of the better movie songs, easily in the top 10 of movie songs for me, and for once they spent time on producing something different. From Bill Bram's book
(Michael A Hoey) We did a dream sequence which was probably one of the most ambitious dance numbers that we ever did. I'm proud of that number. (Eddie Hodges) We rehearsed the dream sequence some time before the day it was shot. We blocked the dance number ahead of time with the choreographer and dancers who stood in for Elvis and Michele: they obviously rehearsed the number separately. Elvis was relaxed and very comfortable with the dance steps.

I just love the little "Elvis shuffle" at 2:18 which puts an Elvis stamp on this choreographed number. :)

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Great track. Easily one of my favorites from the late 60s era.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Not sure if others feel this way, but I always thought this song pointed more to the late '67 psychedelic period, and was a bit "late" considering where music was when it finally was released. I know that it was recorded in March 1968, but the music scene was changing so fast in the late 60's. That said - I wonder if Elvis himself liked the track - it clearly was taking him to a "sound" that was unfamiliar territory. The film was pleasant, the songs a bit different - by this time American Sound sessions were just 10 months away!