Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Live A Little, Love A Little

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:09 am

What do you think of this film? Personally I like it, but I thought that if they had taken the film in a different direction it would've tuned out better. All I want to know is what you think of it. http://gozie.com/video/1U2O57GHBD54/Elvis-Live-A-Little-Love-A-Little-Part-1

Re: Live A Little, Love A Little

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:21 am

episthebest wrote:What do you think of this film? Personally I like it, but I thought that if they had taken the film in a different direction it would've tuned out better. All I want to know is what you think of it. [youtube]http://gozie.com/video/1U2O57GHBD54/Elvis-Live-A-Little-Love-A-Little-Part-1[/youtube]

It has moments of pleasure, and Elvis looks terrific, but it's not a very good film.

It's not as funny as it should have been, and director Norman Taurog fails to correct the tone of Elvis' performance as "Greg Nolan." It's all one-note, and not enjoyable. This was Taurog's ninth Presley film, and his final effort as a Hollywood director.

What else? The songs are fun. Michele Carey is one of his sexiest co-stars ever, the white one-piece bathing suit worn in one particular scene offers any number of surprises. Elvis ended up adopting Brutus, the Great Dane who was so perfectly cast as "Albert," following the completion of the film.

His romance with Sue Henning began during production, she played a model dressed as a mermaid. Look carefully and you'll see Charlie Hodge, Joe Esposito, Red West, Sonny West and others as extras, not to mention a young unknown named Penny Marshall.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 am

I like this film.

It has alot of good moments and its one of Elvis' "modern" films.

A more adult Elvis.

Even sleeping with woman, with a board in between but still.

The "Edge of Reality" segment is the last time he was filmed doing a few of his 50's leg movements.

A cool song.

It also happens to be one of the movies I saw before I became a fan, which is a strange thing.

Also, if you look real quick you can spot Phyllis Davis, who later starred with Robert Urich in the tv series, "Vegas".

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 am

It's a stinker....like many in the late 60's

Significantly this was Director Norman last film

Due to a very poor performance on US release, the film was not released at all in many territories including the UK.

in era of 2001, The Graduate, Easy Ride, Bonnie and Clyde, etc the EP machine was firmly stuck in 1960

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 am

I don't think the movie shows the EP Machine in 1960.

It has a more modern look and feel and more modern sounding songs than Elvis' previous movie efforts.

It just wasn't a very good film especially when compared to the best films of the late 1960s.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 am

its not bad,....not brilliant either, a bit madcap

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:41 am

Very good songs especially A Little Les Conversation and Edge of Reality (a surrealistic sequence, looking like a videoclip from today). The movie itself is an average one, I believe.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 pm

I don't remember it...it's been so long since I've seen an Elvis movie

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:I don't remember it...it's been so long since I've seen an Elvis movie

One of my favorite movie songs is in it:
phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

It is one of the very few Elvis films I have seen from start to finish and enjoyed for what it was.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm

When it was first shown in the cinema it was a fun movie to watch.
Much more fun than those racing car movies!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Not a great movie, but I'd rather watch this than any of the travelogues including Blue Hawaii. Better songs and of course, Michelle Carey adds to it.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
episthebest wrote:What do you think of this film? Personally I like it, but I thought that if they had taken the film in a different direction it would've tuned out better. All I want to know is what you think of it. [youtube]http://gozie.com/video/1U2O57GHBD54/Elvis-Live-A-Little-Love-A-Little-Part-1[/youtube]

It has moments of pleasure, and Elvis looks terrific, but it's not a very good film.

It's not as funny as it should have been, and director Norman Taurog fails to correct the tone of Elvis' performance as "Greg Nolan." It's all one-note, and not enjoyable. This was Taurog's ninth Presley film, and his final effort as a Hollywood director.

What else? The songs are fun. Michele Carey is one of his sexiest co-stars ever, the white one-piece bathing suit worn in one particular scene offers any number of surprises. Elvis ended up adopting Brutus, the Great Dane who was so perfectly cast as "Albert," following the completion of the film.

His romance with Sue Henning began during production, she played a model dressed as a mermaid. Look carefully and you'll see Charlie Hodge, Joe Esposito, Red West, Sonny West and others as extras, not to mention a young unknown named Penny Marshall.

great information. I did not know about the dog. I wonder how long he had it.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Love this movie, and love the songs. One of my favourite Elvis movies.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:42 pm

L Ray wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:57 pm

L Ray wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Apparently, Priscilla has said it was not their dog but a professionally trained "working dog that was hired for the film."
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... QL7_NNLYkw

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
L Ray wrote:great information. I did not know about the dog. I wonder how long he had it.

Apparently, Priscilla has said it was not their dog but a professionally trained "working dog that was hired for the film."
http://www.elvispresleypedia.com/epedia/film/28e.htm

Actually, that unsourced quote references the notion that the Great Dane was brought into the MGM film from the Presley household, and Priscilla would be right in saying this was not so.

Here we see Lisa with both Brutus and another Great Dane they owned, Snoopy.

690200_Lisa w Great Dane_01.JPG

690500_Lisa w Great Dane_02.JPG

720500_Lisa w Great Dane_03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm

A good fun film with Elvis looking fantastic. I like the later 60's films when he looks incredibly sexy, especially The Trouble with Girls and Change of Habit.....although Stay Away Joe is probably my favourite as Elvis is obviously having such a good time.. :D

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Great description of this film, Doc

Vernon can also be spotted in one scene.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 pm

One of my favourites. Sorta off the rails to a lesser extent than The Monkees HEAD and The Beatles MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR.

Very zany and quirky with bizarre but memorable characters and situations (the ironing board scene is a hilarious nod to the I LOVE LUCY style of 50s TV comedy). Elvis is grown up. He looks great. His co-star is great. The music is some of his finest from the Hollywood period.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned and I'd have no problem showing it to anyone. No fears of embarrassment at any point during the whole movie. Which is good!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It's all good as far as I'm concerned and I'd have no problem showing it to anyone. No fears of embarrassment at any point during the whole movie. Which is good!

Seriously? I'd never screen "Live A Little, Love A Little" to just "anyone." It's not a good movie.

These Elvis films would be my top 5 selections for "anyone":

Loving You
Jailhouse Rock
King Creole
Viva Las Vegas
That's The Way It Is SE

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:29 am

Movie is okay, I like ALL the songs and A Little Less Conversation should have been a hit back then.