Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:30 am

I'll say this: it's like Bob dreamed Elvis's version. And against all reason at the time, it was realized!

rjm
Bob: "I think it's on 'Kismet.'" Like saying: who would believe it?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:43 am

Dylan rated it as his favorite cover of the song

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:51 am

This and Bridge, two of the all-time great songs in musical history, two outstanding performances by our boy!

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:02 am

Joe Car wrote:This and Bridge, two of the all-time great songs in musical history, two outstanding performances by our boy!

And are two songs whose inclusion on a future mainstream release would add greater substance amid the hits and known-songs required to help sell such offerings via familiarity of content. But if Sony could just once buck the trend that BMG and RCA adhered to, and opt to use a quotient of lesser-known recordings on such a release, it would be more than novel. It would be deserved, at long last.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:07 am

greystoke wrote:
Joe Car wrote:This and Bridge, two of the all-time great songs in musical history, two outstanding performances by our boy!

And are two songs whose inclusion on a future mainstream release would add greater substance amid the hits and known-songs required to help sell such offerings via familiarity of content. But if Sony could just once buck the trend that BMG and RCA adhered to, and opt to use a quotient of lesser-known recordings on such a release, it would be more than novel. It would be deserved, at long last.

With the current state of physical retail, does it even matter anymore? I get it -- you include some of these artistic gems on compilations that one purchases via traditional retail or via download and one of these off-the-beating-path tracks resonates with the consumer so much that they explore Elvis' work in greater depth. Still, even if Sony were to implement such a strategy, the era of retail where it would have been able to maximize the greatest potential and impact has passed. It never hurts to try, but that ship sailed years ago.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 am

I have long said that there should be a compilation aimed at the general public which concentrates on Elvis singing covers of well-known songs...although Tomorrow Is A Long Time isn't well known, but that's not really the point.

With songs such as Bridge, Sweet Caroline, Love Letters, Promised Land, Green Green Grass, You Don't Know me, I Can't Stop Loving You, Danny Boy, Proud Mary, help Me Make It Through The Night, Gentle On My Mind, Lovin' Feeling etc and some decent advertising I'm sure sales would be substantial. Joe Public doesn't always want hits, but it does like songs it knows. And this would be a perfect way to include a couple of lesser-known but masterful recordings under the same umbrella of a "covers" album. Release it in time for Christmas of mothers day and...bingo, perfect present!

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:16 am

Sell it for five bucks at WalMart :)

midnightx wrote:
greystoke wrote:

With the current state of physical retail, does it even matter anymore? I get it -- you include some of these artistic gems on compilations that one purchases via traditional retail or via download and one of these off-the-beating-path tracks resonates with the consumer so much that they explore Elvis' work in greater depth. Still, even if Sony were to implement such a strategy, the era of retail where it would have been able to maximize the greatest potential and impact has passed. It never hurts to try, but that ship sailed years ago.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:35 am

Odetta's version is nice but Elvis' vocal elevates his to the superior position. Both easily pass Rod's attempt, IMO.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Elvis's version is great, but Stewart's is greater. His arrangement is more creative and less plodding, and his vocals carry a greater sense of yearning. Elvis's version is notable mostly for showing that he was entirely comfortable singing lyrics more complex than any he'd faced before, and it's a shame that no one around him used it as a reason for covering more songs by Dylan, the Tin Pan Alley greats, etc.
And Dylan seems to have changed his mind on Elvis's version being his favorite cover--in Chronicles he apparently goes for Johnny Rivers's "Positively 4th Street" instead.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Revelator wrote:Elvis's version is great, but Stewart's is greater. His arrangement is more creative and less plodding, and his vocals carry a greater sense of yearning. Elvis's version is notable mostly for showing that he was entirely comfortable singing lyrics more complex than any he'd faced before, and it's a shame that no one around him used it as a reason for covering more songs by Dylan, the Tin Pan Alley greats, etc.
And Dylan seems to have changed his mind on Elvis's version being his favorite cover--in Chronicles he apparently goes for Johnny Rivers's "Positively 4th Street" instead.

One of the few times I have to disagree with you. Rod's version may be more original and creative than Elvis'; but it doesn't make it better. I think to use the term 'plodding' is wholly unfair. It's just got a lovely authentic groove that matches Elvis' amazing vocals; in a similar kind of way to how "I'll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You In My Arms)" progresses. Like a never ending ride of emotional torment with Elvis that just captures your imagination.

And even if you still don't like the arrangement on Elvis' amazing blues-style version, one cannot deny just the sheer genius of that vocal performance. One of the greatest of his career, it is just sheer beauty and however good Rod was, he can't beat Elvis Presley when the King is on the top of his game.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Revelator wrote:And Dylan seems to have changed his mind on Elvis's version being his favorite cover--in Chronicles he apparently goes for Johnny Rivers's "Positively 4th Street" instead.

I don't think Dylan ever thought Elvis' cover of ''Tomorrow is a long time'' was the best of any covers of his songs.

Dylan said that Elvis' recording was his personal favorite but that didn't necessarily mean he thought it was the best.

I think one of the reasons he liked it was the fact that Elvis had recorded it and Elvis was such an inspiration to Dylan.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:45 pm

I always liked this song recorded by Elvis - Pity this nevr came out as an Aside on single - love ta see this re -released to make Elvis a number one spot again soon ( hope u r listening and seeing this Ernst -lol )
I lov the guitar work n delivery from Elvis - Elvis must have listened ta demo of this per usual b4 deciding ta record this . Lov It -

http://youtu.be/wipPRxEXAPY

Enjoy ::rocks

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:36 am

karlos wrote:I always liked this song recorded by Elvis - Pity this nevr came out as an Aside on single - love ta see this re -released to make Elvis a number one spot again soon ( hope u r listening and seeing this Ernst -lol )
I lov the guitar work n delivery from Elvis - Elvis must have listened ta demo of this per usual b4 deciding ta record this . Lov It -

http://youtu.be/wipPRxEXAPY

Enjoy ::rocks

No, he listened to Odetta's version.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:No, he listened to Odetta's version.

Agreed, and also maybe the sound of this 1963 track found its way in there too ...

phpBB [video]

Last edited by George Smith on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 am

George Smith wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:No, he listened to Odetta's version.

Agreed, and also maybe the sound of this 1963 track found its way in there tooo ...
phpBB [video]

Wow what a great version!! Hate to say it but Glens vocal much clearer than Elvis's. Elvis still has the edge on emotions though.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:46 am

Just listened to it again and I know I didnt understand the lyrics very well.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:Just listened to it again and I know I didnt understand the lyrics very well.

A great morality tale: Marcus writes well of it in Mystery Train, portraying EP as the country boy led astray by the city lights.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 am

George Smith wrote:
TheMaskedClown wrote:Just listened to it again and I know I didnt understand the lyrics very well.

A great morality tale: Marcus writes well of it in Mystery Train, portraying EP as the country boy led astray by the city lights.

I'm worried though that I missed a lot of the tracks meaning with Elvis's version.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:08 am

It comes across loud and clear to me!

Elvis' anger and passion are what sell the song.

This is the first track he chose to record at American and it's a BIZARRE choice to say the least.

He had something to say and he said it.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 am

George Smith wrote:It comes across loud and clear to me!

Elvis' anger and passion are what sell the song.

This is the first track he chose to record at American and it's a BIZARRE choice to say the least.

He had something to say and he said it.

I agree but i'd missed some of the messages in the song as I got caught up in the production.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 am

midnightx wrote:Without a doubt, Elvis' reading of Tomorrow Is A Long Time is beautiful. A fantastic vocal from a period of discontent and professional chaos.

Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***inĀ“ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells A Story
by Stephen Thomas Erlewine/Allmusic Guide

Without greatly altering his approach, Rod Stewart perfected his blend of hard rock, folk, and blues on his masterpiece, Every Picture Tells a Story. Marginally a harder-rocking album than Gasoline Alley -- the Faces blister on the Temptations cover "(I Know I'm) Losing You," and the acoustic title track goes into hyper-drive with Mick Waller's primitive drumming -- the great triumph of Every Picture Tells a Story lies in its content. Every song on the album, whether it's a cover or original, is a gem, combining to form a romantic, earthy portrait of a young man joyously celebrating his young life. Of course, "Maggie May" -- the ornate, ringing ode about a seduction from an older woman -- is the centerpiece, but each song, whether it's the devilishly witty title track or the unbearably poignant "Mandolin Wind," has the same appeal. And the covers, including definitive readings of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is Such a Long Time" and Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe," as well as a rollicking "That's All Right," are equally terrific, bringing new dimension to the songs. It's a beautiful album, one that has the timeless qualities of the best folk, yet one that rocks harder than most pop music -- few rock albums are quite this powerful or this rich.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/every-picture-tells-a-story-r19100/review

You're right. In fact it's every bit as good as the Elvis 1966 cut.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 am

Hey don't forget Joan Baez version . What do others think of this one?
phpBB [video]

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:31 am

One of the few times I have to disagree with you. Rod's version may be more original and creative than Elvis'; but it doesn't make it better. I think to use the term 'plodding' is wholly unfair. It's just got a lovely authentic groove that matches Elvis' amazing vocals; in a similar kind of way to how "I'll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You In My Arms)" progresses. Like a never ending ride of emotional torment with Elvis that just captures your imagination.

And even if you still don't like the arrangement on Elvis' amazing blues-style version, one cannot deny just the sheer genius of that vocal performance. One of the greatest of his career, it is just sheer beauty and however good Rod was, he can't beat Elvis Presley when the King is on the top of his game.[/quote]

For whats its worth - I totally agree with your call.
Rod could sing, but he was far away from having a great voice or being a great vocalist.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:05 pm

FredAistair wrote:One of the few times I have to disagree with you. Rod's version may be more original and creative than Elvis'; but it doesn't make it better. I think to use the term 'plodding' is wholly unfair. It's just got a lovely authentic groove that matches Elvis' amazing vocals; in a similar kind of way to how "I'll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You In My Arms)" progresses. Like a never ending ride of emotional torment with Elvis that just captures your imagination.

And, of course, that groove was taken almost entirely from the Odetta arrangement.

FredAistair wrote:Rod could sing, but he was far away from having a great voice or being a great vocalist.

Huh? Stewart was the second coming of Sam Cooke -- his best work is clearly that of someone with a great voice, a truly outstanding vocalist.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Been trying to find Bobster's original version on YT but surprisingly it's not available. This 1987 live performance featuring Grateful Dead was as close as it gets -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEbWaaXO8YI