Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:53 pm

I want the definite audio proof that Baxter`s Opening Night 69 is in fact this show..any help is greatly appreciated..

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 am

Ciscoking wrote:I want the definite audio proof that Baxter`s Opening Night 69 is in fact this show..any help is greatly appreciated..


I have a tape labeled 8/3/69. The label doesn't indicate whether it's dinner or midnight. It is not the same as the Return of a Prodigy show.

I also have a tape labeled 8/1/69. That's not it, either.

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:21 am

I need the one which matches the show..the ones you have are fakes, wrongly dated. patchwork or whatever..anyway ..thanks..for your input.. ::rocks

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 am

Ciscoking wrote:I need the one which matches the show..the ones you have are fakes, wrongly dated. patchwork or whatever..anyway ..thanks..for your input.. ::rocks


I took a closer listen today. The tape labeled August 1 is quite likely from later in the engagement. The faster tempo of Can't Help Falling In Love is the giveaway, it would seem.

The August 3 cassette, in certain spots, sounds IDENTICAL to Return of a Prodigy, including on CHFIL. I compared several songs, and some sound alike, to my ears. The surrounding dialogue, however, is different. Some of the performances are clearly different, and the show lineup varies a bit. As you noted, Cisco, it seems to be a patchwork of different shows. Could it be, though, that the soundboard tape is actually a composite?

There's a one-liner of Blue Hawaii on my tape, as well as a joke about how he would look, shaking his legs, at age 74.

The monologue is relatively short:

"I gotta tell ya. First I went to the Arthur Godfrey, this talent show. And they turned me down. They said, 'Get him outta here." So I went to that other cat. He's got the Geritol. What's his name? Ted Mack, yeah. Anyway, they turned me down and took Pat Boone, you know? Which is alright. He did ok with his white shoes and stuff."

"Then later on, they sent me to Hollywood, to make movies. It was all new to me. I was 21, 22 years old. They yelled 'Action!', and I didn't know what to do. (Laughs) They said, "That's all we can get outta him." I made four movies, and in 1958 I got drafted, and I went into the Army, and stayed a coupla years. And that was loads of fun. They made a big deal outta cuttin' my hair, and all that jazz."

"Then I came outta the service and I went back and I made a picture called GI Blues. I thought I was still in the Army, see. Then I did a few good pictures that did very well for me, like Blue Hawaii and stuff. Anyway, it kinda got into a routine and a rut, and I really wanted to come back and work live (unintelligible) again."

"Hope I didn't bore you too much."

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:13 am

elvisjock wrote:
The August 3 cassette, in certain spots, sounds IDENTICAL to Return of a Prodigy, including on CHFIL. I compared several songs, and some sound alike, to my ears. The surrounding dialogue, however, is different. Some of the performances are clearly different, and the show lineup varies a bit. As you noted, Cisco, it seems to be a patchwork of different shows. Could it be, though, that the soundboard tape is actually a composite?


I think your AR is a patchwork. The SB is one complete tape. But you say certain songs are from an audience recorded source and are indeed from August 3 as on the SB....?

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Are there cuts which indicate a patch work of shows..?

Could you send me a copy...perhaps....?

You could PM me.... :wink:

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 pm

8/3/1969 DS is still a mystery isn't it?

Re: Looking for an audience recording of Vegas, 8/3/69 DS

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Yep..I am looking for a matching AR..I am afraid..there is no..