Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I know these photos have been up for discussion before but I thought I would gather them all here and give you my idea as to when they were taken.
In earlier threads I have dated the photos as being from July 1956 when Elvis drove to and from Biloxi but after taking a look at mapquest.com I´ve to another conclusion.
As you can see in the map below Elvis would most likely have taken the "blue road" which, by today´s measurement, was 45 minutes faster and 43 miles shorter.

Image2.jpg


We know that Elvis was arrested Monday morning July 30, 1956 at about 1:30 a.m. after a 6 mile race on Highway 49 (from Jackson to Hattiesburg) which ended near Mississippi Southern College (in Hattiesburg). So at least this time Elvis drove via the "blue road" and there is no reason why he would have taken the longer road for the other trips. So that about rules out the trips to and from Biloxi.

On June 21, 1956 Elvis, along with his cousins Gene and Junior Smith, drove to Atlanta, Ga. which was the starting point of a 7-day tour of Georgia, North and South Carolina.
As you can see on the map below the trip to Atlanta brought them right through Tupelo.

Image3.jpg


Here then are the three photos from Johnnie´s Drive-in showing Elvis, Gene and Junior in the last photo.

560621-Tupelo-01a-Johnnies Drive In.jpg

560621-Tupelo-02-Johnnies Drive In.jpg

560621-Tupelo-03-Johnnies Drive In.jpg

So, June 21, 1956 seems to me as the most likely date for the photos taken at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Interesting post. The only qualm I have is that Elvis looks so thin in these photos, a lot closer to his appearance circa April 1956 rather than in mid-June.

Also, this comment stood out:

bripet56 wrote:We know that Elvis was arrested Monday morning July 30, 1956 at about 1:30 a.m. after a 6 mile race on Highway 49 (from Jackson to Hattiesburg) which ended near Mississippi Southern College (in Hattiesburg).

When you say "arrested" do you mean to say "pulled over and given a speeding ticket"?

Arrested means getting handcuffed by police and taken to the police station. Had this happened to Elvis Presley in the summer of 1956, it would have meant major headlines, and I do not recall any such headlines.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Interesting post. The only qualm I have is that Elvis looks so thin in these photos, a lot closer to his appearance circa April 1956 rather than in mid-June.

Also, this comment stood out:

bripet56 wrote:We know that Elvis was arrested Monday morning July 30, 1956 at about 1:30 a.m. after a 6 mile race on Highway 49 (from Jackson to Hattiesburg) which ended near Mississippi Southern College (in Hattiesburg).

When you say "arrested" do you mean to say "pulled over and given a speeding ticket"?

Arrested means getting handcuffed by police and taken to the police station. Had this happened to Elvis Presley in the summer of 1956, it would have meant major headlines, and I do not recall any such headlines.


I went by his shirt when dating the photo Doc. The first time we see Elvis wearing this shirt is when he was out on a date with Barbara Hearn on June 19.

Being arrested maybe didn´t mean the exact same back then as it does today. There were other occasions when Elvis was "arrested" for speeding back in 1956 but I don´t htink he was ever handcuffed. Anyway, here´s the article and as you can see Elvis was allowed to continue on his trip to Miami (actually to Biloxi).
560803-Ms-Hattiesburg-American-pg06.jpg

Here´s the article from July 31 where it says that Elvis was actually taken all the was to the front steps of the county jail before the police constable decided to release him, so you could say that he was arrested.
560730-Ms-Hattiesburg-American-pg01.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:58 am

Wow, if that report is correct, had Elvis been put behind bars, it would have been a major news story.

Yes, arrested is not quite the correct term. He was stopped for speeding, then sent on his way.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 am

Interesting Post - Ty Bripet 56 for sharing it - Great info in deed - TCE4Ever ::rocks

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 am

karlos wrote:Interesting Post - Ty Bripet 56 for sharing it - Great info indeed ...


bripet56 is the #1 Elvis photo dating detective, probably in the entire world.

FECC is lucky to have him here.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Great work, Brian, i agree these photos was taken on June 56 in Tupelo, road from Memphis to Atlanta.
Just a little problem: in "Elvis Day by Day" Ernst Jorgensen wrote: "Accompanied by his cousins Gene and Junior Smith, on the morning of June 22 Elvis drove to Atlanta, Ga., where he began another tour by returning to Atlanta for a three-day stand at the Paramount Theater. "

In James' page about Atlanta we can find a small clipping (see below) and we can read: "Elvis Presley (...) came to Atlanta Friday" (Friday was June 22)
The road from Memphis to Atlanta is 6 hours long (see your road map above) - if he start driving at 7.00 a.m he will arrive in Atlanta at 2-3.00 p.m., with all the stops. First show was at 2.00 - too close, i think.
So maibe these photos are from June 22, 1956, but i don't know for sure the hour when he leave Memphis in the morning.

http://www.scottymoore.net/paramount.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:37 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Great work, Brian, i agree these photos was taken on June 56 in Tupelo, road from Memphis to Atlanta.
Just a little problem: in "Elvis Day by Day" Ernst Jorgensen wrote: "Accompanied by his cousins Gene and Junior Smith, on the morning of June 22 Elvis drove to Atlanta, Ga., where he began another tour by returning to Atlanta for a three-day stand at the Paramount Theater. "

In James' page about Atlanta we can find a small clipping (see below) and we can read: "Elvis Presley (...) came to Atlanta Friday" (Friday was June 22)
The road from Memphis to Atlanta is 6 hours long (see your road map above) - if he start driving at 7.00 a.m he will arrive in Atlanta at 2-3.00 p.m., with all the stops. First show was at 2.00 - too close, i think.
So maibe these photos are from June 22, 1956, but i don't know for sure the hour when he leave Memphis in the morning.

http://www.scottymoore.net/paramount.html


I´m not quite sure where you got the "Elvis Day-by-Day" quote from because on Thursday June 21, 1956 in my copy it says:
Accompanied to Atlanta in his new Cadillac Biarritz by his cousins Gene and Junior Smith, Elvis has the oil changed, with 2,185 miles registered on the odometer.

Too bad they don´t say where he had the oil changed but they must have had some kind of evidence to support the oil change that suggested that they were on the road to Atlanta.

Maybe they stopped somewhere and spent the night before rolling into Atlanta on Friday, June 22 or maybe their whereabouts just weren´t known until they showed up for the first show.


Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wow, if that report is correct, had Elvis been put behind bars, it would have been a major news story.

Yes, arrested is not quite the correct term. He was stopped for speeding, then sent on his way.


Actually is would correct according to line 3 and 7 of the definition of "arrested" in the attachment below from Dictionary,com.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arrested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:38 pm

It was my mistake, Brian, it's not "Day by Day", the quote is from "All Shook Up".
I think you're right, the road to Atlanta start on June 21. I have in my files this info: "June 21 - Elvis and Col. Tom Parker signed with the William Morris Agency and set into motion the series of events that caused the creation of Elvis Presley as an American icon."

So, he signed a contract, he change the oil, he stop in Tupelo for dinner and he drove 6-7 hours - and the first show in Atlanta begin at 2.00 pm - the start of his road was on June 21 for sure.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 am

As you can see in the map below Elvis would most likely have taken the "blue road" which, by today´s measurement, was 45 minutes faster and 43 miles shorter.


A thought: Was that road in place at that time? From [url]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System[/url], a very interesting discussion, which matches my memories of those years of interminable road construction:

The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways (commonly known as the Interstate Highway System, Interstate Freeway System, Interstate System, or simply the Interstate) is a network of freeways that forms a part of the National Highway System of the United States. The system is named for President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who championed its formation. Construction was authorized by the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956, and the original portion was completed 35 years later....

...The publication in 1955 of the General Location of National System of Interstate Highways, informally known as the Yellow Book, mapped out what became the Interstate System....

...Three states have claimed the title of first Interstate Highway. Missouri claims that the first three contracts under the new program were signed in Missouri on August 2, 1956. The first contract signed was for upgrading a section of U.S. 66 to what is now designated Interstate 44. On August 13, 1956, Missouri awarded the first contract based on new Interstate Highway funding....

...Kansas claims that it was the first to start paving after the act was signed. Preliminary construction had taken place before the act was signed, and paving started September 26, 1956.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm

latebloomer wrote:
As you can see in the map below Elvis would most likely have taken the "blue road" which, by today´s measurement, was 45 minutes faster and 43 miles shorter.


A thought: Was that road in place at that time? .


No, I don´t think the roads were in the same place as they are today and I would love to have a map of the US from back in 1955-1956 so we could really see which roads Elvis took while on tour.
I just found a wallmap from 1956 on the internet (http://www.mapsales.com/national-geogra ... l-map.aspx) and it actually shows the exact same route as today so this would still be the most probable road for Elvis to have taken back in 1956.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Whew!! That was such a beautifully-reasoned discussion to have go up in smoke! I know from personal knowledge that many of the interstates run over very old roadbeds, and I was hoping the one you looked at was one of them, but had to ask.

Years ago I inherited my parents' collection of U.S. roadmaps, many, many of which were dated in the early 50s. I've been trying all night to remember what I've done with them, so I'm thrilled to know some, at least, mght be on the internet.

It would be fascinating to map Elvis' travels on maps current the years of his career. He racked up some miles! His travels during the years when most southeastern U.S. roads were two-lane, with 50-55 m.p.h. daytime and 40-45 m.p.h. nighttime speed limits, really are impressive.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:42 pm

latebloomer wrote:Whew!! That was such a beautifully-reasoned discussion to have go up in smoke! I know from personal knowledge that many of the interstates run over very old roadbeds, and I was hoping the one you looked at was one of them, but had to ask.

Years ago I inherited my parents' collection of U.S. roadmaps, many, many of which were dated in the early 50s. I've been trying all night to remember what I've done with them, so I'm thrilled to know some, at least, mght be on the internet.

It would be fascinating to map Elvis' travels on maps current the years of his career. He racked up some miles! His travels during the years when most southeastern U.S. roads were two-lane, with 50-55 m.p.h. daytime and 40-45 m.p.h. nighttime speed limits, really are impressive.


Don´t worry my friend. I´m glad you asked the question because I had wondered as well if the current roads ran about the same back in the 1950s.
It would be cool if you could find some of your old roadmaps and make some scans. I would be very interested in seing them.
I´ve just pieced together a complete map of the USA from September 1956 using pieces like the one below so now I at least have a 1956 map although it is small and not very good quality.
Image50.jpg


SIncerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, Brian, even if I can't find those old maps, or don't have the right ones, there are several great sources for old maps, and I'm going to start down the list this weekend, asking if any of them can help us. Elvis and company only drove through 1957, didn't they? Or was there quite a lot of use of that bus until the planes were finally in use? I'll ask for whatever we need to cover all the ground-transport years, so I'd really appreciate any ideas you have.

Thanks!

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm

latebloomer wrote:Well, Brian, even if I can't find those old maps, or don't have the right ones, there are several great sources for old maps, and I'm going to start down the list this weekend, asking if any of them can help us. Elvis and company only drove through 1957, didn't they? Or was there quite a lot of use of that bus until the planes were finally in use? I'll ask for whatever we need to cover all the ground-transport years, so I'd really appreciate any ideas you have.

Thanks!


I just won an auction on Ebay on a 1954 Rand McNally Road Atlas so soon I´ll be able to follow the same roads that Elvis did back in the 50s. And tomorrow I´m gonna bid on a 1955 Road Map over Arkansas-Louisiana-Mississippi as well.

Yes, Elvis drove to and from Los Angeles a number of times during the 1960s as well as to Nashville and probably other nearby cities.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 am

Congrats, Brian! Quick work! Makes me want to cry to think of the atlases I've tossed over the years.

I'll still try to get us a nice, full-scale map or two from '54 to '57, and one for the first half of the '60s.

Re: Elvis at Johnnie´s Diner/Drive-in

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:22 am

Hi, everyone,

Have a look at the choices available from [url]20thcenturymaps.com/Beta/order.html[/url]:

In the Search area, fill in ONLY a year -- and only one at a time, i.e., 1954, 1955, etc. -- then hit search.

There is a good selection available for every year from 1954 to 1957, for 1960, and for every year from 1970 to 1977. Regional, quadrant, and national maps seem to be at the bottom of the lists, and might be easier to deal with than individual state maps.

If those won't do the job, let me know and I'll hunt some more; two very good sources still have not been queried.