Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Yep..the sound is fantastic..!..... ::rocks


:roll: is J.D "FANTASTIC ' too :wink:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 pm

In the mail today.. Ho Ho Ho.
Browsed quickly through the MSG set and layout wise it perfectly matches PFAP.
No time to listen to the three discs yet but I have the feeling I won't be disappointed.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Here I am, listening to the MSG opening show.
I would go as far as defining this as an essential audience recording.
As expected a great, tight show.

The sound.. If you're a total anti audience recording kind of creature, this probably won't change that.
However, in de AR 1972 on tour category, it rules.
Clear recording, not too many people screaming in the recorder.
Elvis voice isn't really upfront and sounds slightly ambient, which gives you an arena feel.
Drums are blending in nicely with all other instruments, JB also positioned in the back.
Backing voices are dominant..
Best aspect of this recording is the smooth bass, which gives the whole thing a full sound.
I have a Harman Kardon set with a fairly powerful sub and Jerry does a nice job here in my living room.
Too bad the multi track tapes were not rolling as Bridge was done but this tape it's a fascinating find.
A must have.

Then the 77 gigs. I only listened to part of the may 2nd show.
I prefer the old double release. This recording sounds a bit more soft.
Clear audio but not as exciting as the ones we already had.

I'll stick to the great recordings Rob just gave away.
SA artwork is cool by the way...

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Very interesting comments Robert..... mine are on their way to me and will be interested to see what i think once i listen to the complete product!~ :roll:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Robert wrote:Here I am, listening to the MSG opening show.
I would go as far as defining this as an essential audience recording.
As expected a great, tight show.

The sound.. If you're a total anti audience recording kind of creature, this probably won't change that.
However, in de AR 1972 on tour category, it rules.
Clear recording, not too many people screaming in the recorder.
Elvis voice isn't really upfront and sounds slightly ambient, which gives you an arena feel.
Drums are blending in nicely with all other instruments, JB also positioned in the back.
Backing voices are dominant..
Best aspect of this recording is the smooth bass, which gives the whole thing a full sound.
I have a Harman Kardon set with a fairly powerful sub and Jerry does a nice job here in my living room.
Too bad the multi track tapes were not rolling as Bridge was done but this tape it's a fascinating find.
A must have.

Then the 77 gigs. I only listened to part of the may 2nd show.
I prefer the old double release. This recording sounds a bit more soft.
Clear audio but not as exciting as the ones we already had.

I'll stick to the great recordings Rob just gave away.
SA artwork is cool by the way...


Could you post a sample of Left a Good Job in the City

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 pm

It's on the previous page.
Sound on the disc is better than what I've heard via this link.
May also be my equipment :wink:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:33 pm

What I got was a "rough mix master"... :lol:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 am

Great CDs in great sound. The MSG show sounds superb!
So, what's next from Straight Arrow!? Maybe the 2 CD set "Chicago 1972" ... :P

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 pm

I know SA have 2 more great sounding Audience recording they might release. but would anyone be dissapointed if i said they were from between 17/3/76 and 31/12/76?? :roll: :wink: :wink: 8)

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:00 pm

I heard rumours about even more.. ..all good sounding babies..... :wink:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:01 pm

YDKM wrote:I know SA have 2 more great sounding Audience recording they might release. but would anyone be dissapointed if i said they were from between 17/3/76 and 31/12/76?? :roll: :wink: :wink: 8)


If SA has a good sounding Atlanta 30|12 tape... no complaints from this side.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:32 pm

By Straigt Arrow standards, the sound is a bit "less"...
That means not i'm putting it down, it is what is is...compared to their other stuff it's less.

But (and there is a big but here), it's so much better then we had before on CDR.
That cdr sounded muffled, here we can hear everything pretty clear.
It gives a "being there" feeling, somewhere in The Garden.

This is a very important audience recording of a very important show.
Ofcourse,it's a tight and straight forward performance by Elvis.
Highlights are "Bridge" and a extremely well sung "For the good times".
But in fact, the whole show is a highlight.

The label is riding along on the succes of "The prince" cd set, and i'm pretty happy with it!!

PS.Altough i feel that the artwork-front and back- should be dedicated to this show instead of the day's after AS.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I just listened to the Chicago shows. The sound is good for a recording of this kind and Elvis delivers -compared to other performances that year- a good show. The packaging is ok, nothing to write home about, but also not bad at all. Because I don't own the old releases, this set is fine to me. :D

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:46 am

YDKM wrote:I know SA have 2 more great sounding Audience recording they might release. but would anyone be dissapointed if i said they were from between 17/3/76 and 31/12/76?? :roll: :wink: :wink: 8)


4th of July 1976 would be rather nice :D Don't bother with any other 1976 rubbish show.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 am

Ciscoking wrote:What I got was a "rough mix master"... :lol:


rough mix master or not, it sounded like CRAAAAAAAAAP !

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:09 am

Robt wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:What I got was a "rough mix master"... :lol:


rough mix master or not, it sounded like CRAAAAAAAAAP !


To each his own.. :roll: ...

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:21 am

Admittedly I played only "Funny How Time Slips Away" (a song that I never particularly cared for). The only good thing was that it does sound like it encapsulates the sheer atmosphere of the occasion.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:00 pm

The chicago shows sound good, there's only one mistake on the cover look at the dates
and i thought MN Designs worked for them and now its nightrider?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am

Yes Johnny...i too noticed the mistake on the SA CD back cover because it says May 1st for both shows-an 'error!~'
however now having got the packages TODAY and listening to them they are BOTH 'very good indeed' the ambience and audience reaction too Elvis in New York on june 9th make this a very nice show. well sung and CLEAR a 8/10+ sound that i most certainly will be playing again and again!~ :o
Chicago show both have very good sound indeed a 9/10!~...however really only Elvis's superb vocal on 'trying to get to you' did it for me on Chicago first night and the 2nd night is obviously the better show.with better 'fairytale/hurt/my way 'etc....vocally trying putting out so MUCH more effort! but both shows very clear recordings and BEST release so far without any question-decent packaging too. :lol: 8)

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm

:D Listened again tonight to the May 2nd show..... after a while you almost thinkj its a 'soundboard' because its such a great 9/10 'audience recorded sound' certainly May 2nd WAS THE SHOW that both Joe Esposito and Larry Geller mentioned as being 'great' a solid good show(despite microphone problems) doing all the moves in PSA and a resprise roll over in Hurt made this very ordinary song listing a great show.Elvis even says after first 2 numbers that he's healhy & happy to be here.great and definitive SA release. SA give me more shows in THIS SOUND and i don't care the year!~ :D

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Yep..the sound is fine considering the source...and it`s new tapes...not the old ones just being recycled.. ::rocks

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

Yes last weekend i listened AGAIN to the May 1st show. only 'trying to get to you','my way' and 'hurt' are highlights it is certainly the poorer show of the two.However sound quality IS a major upgrade from what we had b4~! :D

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Chicago Double strike
___________________
It's indeed a good release although previous outings where fine too in soundquality, even with other sources.
But this two dates combined in one package is a very good idea.

The artwork is as good as it gets, Nightrider is one of the best out there.

Qualitywise show 1 is a tad better then the second date, but both sound fine in terms of audiencerecordings.
And i personally think that the first show is the better one of the two, they are close, but i feel he's more focussed.

Al together: a fine effort by Straight Arrow

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:07 am

In the second show i again have listened to today when Elvis says "don't believe what you hear in Rumours I'm in good health & happy to be here" the crowd go nuts. Yes microphone problems seem to plague the whole show, but despite that i feel Elvis puts in more effort-even with same songs (mostly) of cource we have already had Fairytale on soundboard!~

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 am

YDKM wrote:In the second show i again have listened to today when Elvis says "don't believe what you hear in Rumours I'm in good health & happy to be here" the crowd go nuts. Yes microphone problems seem to plague the whole show, but despite that i feel Elvis puts in more effort-even with same songs (mostly) of cource we have already had Fairytale on soundboard!~


Strangely, he had mic problems during Fairytale, on both nights. IIRC, he threw the mic to the floor on both nights. The sound system failed completely, the following night, in Saginaw. It was replaced with a new setup for the mid-May tour.