Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Rob wrote:Well, I am very happy with my set. When I first heard it last week, I sat down with my headphones on and was impressed from start to finish. I only listened to the evening show the first time. However, the next night I listened to both shows back-to-back. As I mentioned before, this set will be the go-to version for me from now on. I was very impressed with the sound I am getting and do not care if another mix of these shows are ever available. To this fan, the improvement is like night and day.

For those who are disappointed, sorry to hear that, because this fan is well satisfied.

It's definitely, overall, a winner and many who have yet to buy it, will be thrilled. The reviewer in this month's Elvis The Man and His Music has watched and listened to it in much the way most fans will do. There were criticisms - shared also by others on FECC - about the CD and DVD housings, the blank screen moments, inaccuracy over a credit in the notes, and one or two phrases that Lenny Kaye used in his otherwise "intelligent and at times inspirational text." I concur with the following:

"..it would be churlish not to praise this most impressive package overall.

"Not having listened to these shows for some time (they were never favourites of mine) I was delighted at how good they sounded, presenting much more powerfully than the original releases...

"In my view these concerts blow the more sedate 'Aloha' recordings completely out of the water. This was a class act in action. While the material was well-known it is interesting to note that the only 'new' song included was 'For the Good Times' which he had recorded in March '72 in Hollywood. In summary, this release deserves praise on almost every level and offers astonishing value for money (between £13-£15 in the UK). Don't miss it!"

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Suds wrote:
Rob wrote:Well, I am very happy with my set. When I first heard it last week, I sat down with my headphones on and was impressed from start to finish. I only listened to the evening show the first time. However, the next night I listened to both shows back-to-back. As I mentioned before, this set will be the go-to version for me from now on. I was very impressed with the sound I am getting and do not care if another mix of these shows are ever available. To this fan, the improvement is like night and day.

For those who are disappointed, sorry to hear that, because this fan is well satisfied.

It's definitely, overall, a winner and many who have yet to buy it, will be thrilled. The reviewer in this month's Elvis The Man and His Music has watched and listened to it in much the way most fans will do. There were criticisms - shared also by others on FECC - about the CD and DVD housings, the blank screen moments, inaccuracy over a credit in the notes, and one or two phrases that Lenny Kaye used in his otherwise "intelligent and at times inspirational text." I concur with the following:

"Not having listened to these shows for some time (they were never favourites of mine) I was delighted at how good they sounded, presenting much more powerfully than the original releases...

"In my view these concerts blow the more sedate 'Aloha' recordings completely out of the water. This was a class act in action. While the material was well-known it is interesting to note that the only 'new' song included was 'For the Good Times' which he had recorded in March '72 in Hollywood. In summary, this release deserves praise on almost every level and offers astonishing value for money (between £13-£15 in the UK). Don't miss it!"

Spot on Suds. 8)

I think it captures Elvis at his mid-seventies zenith - stage honed after an extensive touring schedule it shows the King on his throne displaying the dynamic showmanship that made his legend...

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 am

Suds wrote:

Until It's Time For U To Go, Never Been To Spain, An American Trilogy were new songs as well.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:17 am

I hated The Alternate Aloha the first time I heard it. I've never seen praise for it. I'm happy with this release. I'm glad more people are appreciating the greatness of the evening show. That is the best part of this release. The afternoon show already sounded good.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Well I didn't quite go that far. I do think this was then wrong approach. I am just saying I respect the fact that others have a differing opinion. In my opinion I have made it perfectly clear that I hate it and in my mind was the wrong direction. Honestly, I feel that this release is as close to rewriting history about the band members performing as you can get without crossing the line. That doesn't mean others couldn't and shouldn't differ.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: The only drawback is that it would have been nice to have an option to see that footage without the blanks inbetween .

Not to worry, STAR will release something similar and they will fill in the blanks so to speak...to make up for it.

I don't know what star will release but I did it that way I hope you like it.
My editing of POLK SALAD ANNIE.

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

I just got the Legacy double cd set and put on the evening show on my pc and played it against the Prince release. Even though I find the remastered Legacy release a better sounding concert than my original cd, there's no doubt that the Prince set is the most exciting to listen to. The fuller richer sound of Elvis' voice does the trick for it beeing the winner. But, now I have'em all and I'm going to play both sets in between. This is only the short test on the pc. I'll give it the full run on my stereo later on!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 pm

I've got the original vinyl of the evening show from 1972 (Not a re-release), And im glad i got the Prince From Another Planet, Now when i want historical sound i use the vinyl, and when i want the best sound i will use the prince from another planet set! this is one of the exceptions that i actually like the CD version more then Vinyl Version..

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 am

While I've already watched the footage and played snip-its through my laptop, I've just listened to the entire evening show in my car, ears are still ringing, its absolutely magnificent. After all these years "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" still completely blows my mind.

"Listen to me, talking to ya"

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Julian Grant wrote:I've just listened to the entire evening show in my car, ears are still ringing, its absolutely magnificent. After all these years "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" still completely blows my mind.

I have underlined this key point and completely agree with you that it sounds fantastic played in this way.

What a shame the afternoon show sounds so poor by comparison. It simply must be poor mixing because this show sounds almost as good as the evening show on the Import title Operation Big Apple....just listen to the drums on that release, they are so much clearer and well defined. What went wrong here?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Julian Grant wrote:While I've already watched the footage and played snip-its through my laptop, I've just listened to the entire evening show in my car, ears are still ringing, its absolutely magnificent. After all these years "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" still completely blows my mind.

You've Lost That Lovin Feeling was performed magnificently for the MSG shows! I agree!

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:While I've already watched the footage and played snip-its through my laptop, I've just listened to the entire evening show in my car, ears are still ringing, its absolutely magnificent. After all these years "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" still completely blows my mind.

You've Lost That Lovin Feeling was performed magnificently for the MSG shows! I agree!

I agree. Also Elvis' vocals on the set sound fantastic! Listen to the 'gator's got you granny' line in "Polk" --- he's almost in the room with you...

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Elvis Presley, "Prince From Another Planet." The design of this boxed set is beautiful, but it's the music at his rousing 1972 Madison Square Garden shows that gets your heart pumping. He never sounded better. The DVD of fan footage demonstrates why Elvis was indeed the King.

Jon Bream - Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Brian 8)

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Suds wrote:He needed to deliver to NYC. And that's just what he did. He is tremendous visually and vocally. And perhaps, we can see some satisfaction at the end of the closing number - he did it, he won them over.

Personally I think you are a bit dramatic here. I don't think he 'won over' that many of the audience. I'll bet most of them were fans to begin with. But, it makes a good story even better to put it the way you did :wink:

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Xaykev wrote:
Suds wrote:He needed to deliver to NYC. And that's just what he did. He is tremendous visually and vocally. And perhaps, we can see some satisfaction at the end of the closing number - he did it, he won them over.

Personally I think you are a bit dramatic here. I don't think he 'won over' that many of the audience. I'll bet most of them were fans to begin with. But, it makes a good story even better to put it the way you did :wink:

Oh yes, you're right - they were mostly fans who were watching, so he did not need to worry as much for their sakes. But, the pen was mighty in New York, and I believe Elvis was keen to win over the New York writers - that was the real challenge and triumph. And the cuttings in the new package reveal the unexpected impact he had on many journalists.

Guilty, I was a bit dramatic. I was emotional that night!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 pm

After listening to the latest SA release I now have a picture of the first three shows.
The 'closing' show however, offered a very standard setlist, especially given the fact that he varied quite a bit during the June tour.
Was it an indication that Elvis wanted to get out of there or was the performance on the same level as the first three gigs?

Any opinions on that show?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 am

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Elvis' Sunday afternoon performance. Another 20,000 folks went home happy.

The entire weekend rocked!

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 am

Rob wrote:There was absolutely nothing wrong with Elvis' Sunday afternoon performance. Another 20,000 folks went home happy.

Are we sure that the last show was a complete sellout?
At the end of the CD we hear Al talking about the limited
number of seats available for the Sunday Afternoon show.

Btw, I love the new set.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Rob wrote:There was absolutely nothing wrong with Elvis' Sunday afternoon performance. Another 20,000 folks went home happy.

::rocks

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Joe Car wrote:

::rocks

Prince rocks!!

And the gold cape - yeah baby!!

Just love the 'Hound Dog' footage - hup, two, three, four...
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:33 am

iplayastrat wrote:

Are we sure that the last show was a complete sellout?

Btw, I love the new set.

I noted this as well, but I also noted an ad for 3 concerts and I am guessing that the 4th was arranged after the first 3 sold out and that sold out as well.
As a seperate point in many concerts that are sold out, there are often last minute tickets made availabe through rearranging sets, seating and the like.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

I was excited to get it finally.How-ever was some what disappointed about the packaging.It 'does open nicely though.Try getting the cd's or the dvd out,is a pain in the butt.They could have done better on that part.All in all,it's a great set to add to my collection.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:08 am

iplayastrat wrote:Are we sure that the last show was a complete sellout?

The seats that Al Dvorin spoke of were more than likely added due to demand. My guess is that they sold those quickly.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:14 am

Blue River wrote:

The seats that Al Dvorin spoke of were more than likely added due to demand. My guess is that they sold those quickly.

Without a doubt –– he was red-hot at the Garden...

IMG_0259.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:29 am

Blue River wrote:

I wish we knew for sure.

Needless to say I was surprised to
hear Al announce that.