Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Who changed the date of the box from 7/31/69 OS to 8/3/69 DS

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Another topic made me think about this...

Who changed the date to 8/3/69 DS..?

When I have a show with a date..there must be a reason to change it..

My understanding is that the Baxter team had a copy of this tape ..well..and the infos on the box..
I remember the FTD Big Boss Man being wrongly dated cause they took the date from the tape box.
The reason for changing the date was Barbara Streisands attendance at this very day..and an AR we have of this show.
From the 1969 shows in question we have no AR to compare..and no proof which justifies a changing of date..
I am not saying it isn`t correct..I am just wondering why the date has been changed..and..who says it`s exactly
the August 3, 1969 DS..IIRC..the date is just most likely.

Here is the tape box infos..

and here`s the Baxter release..dated Opening Night

Even more confusing..on this very site..in the import list..the show is dated August 1, 1969 Dinner Show.

Re: Who changed the date of the box from 7/31/69 OS to 8/3/6

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:45 pm

http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lis ... -1969.html ::rocks

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:48 pm

No help..it wasn`t Keith Flynn who changed the date..

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:56 pm

The solution to this problem is simple:
This tape was originally dated as the opening show and released as such by the bootleggers, but when an audience tape of the August 3, 1969 show proved to be exactly the same as this "opening show", this date is used as the correct date .

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Also, when were the informations written on the box? Because in 1969 it was the International hotel not the Hilton.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm

The tapebox has in top left the date 3/13/79 and it was made (i think) by Joan Deary.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:The solution to this problem is simple:
This tape was originally dated as the opening show and released as such by the bootleggers, but when an audience tape of the August 3, 1969 show proved to be exactly the same as this "opening show", this date is used as the correct date .

wheres the audience tape and the proof of it being from the 3rd?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm

voldto wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:The solution to this problem is simple:

wheres the audience tape and the proof of it being from the 3rd?

I think you believe me..if there was an AR I would be aware of it..and I am NOT.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm

philobeddo wrote:The tapebox has in top left the date 3/13/79 and it was made (i think) by Joan Deary.

Yep.. I think it was the date Deary prepared the show for a possible release..

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:28 pm

philobeddo wrote:The tapebox has in top left the date 3/13/79 and it was made (i think) by Joan Deary.

This is the reason the date of 7-31-1969 was considered dubious.

Also, one listen to the tape makes clear it is not opening night.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 pm

I tend to agree it isn`t Opening Night ..the lack of celebrities might be one reason..but what makes it August 3, 1969 DS..
I honestly think it`s speculation..there is no proof...anyone has one..?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:24 am

Ciscoking wrote:I tend to agree it isn`t Opening Night ..the lack of celebrities might be one reason...

Greater clues include the songs, which do not match accounts of the opening show, Presley's performance, which would be laced with a nervous energy, the crowd reaction, which was supposed to be off the charts, and stage comments from Elvis, none of which indicate this is the first time around.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:41 am

Yepp.. I agree...but why 8/3/69 DS ?..and who amended it ? I think it`s pure speculation...although it`s definitely
not far away from OS...I am not aware of an AR...

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:02 am

Isn't it something to do with the "it's hard to get going these dinner shows" line? He would have had to have done at least a couple of dinner shows to form that opinion, right?

I don't think this date has ever been locked in but Cisco, if this query is indicative of FTD putting the show out (please!) then good luck with your query!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 am

Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Matthew wrote:Isn't it something to do with the "it's hard to get going these dinner shows" line? He would have had to have done at least a couple of dinner shows to form that opinion, right?

I don't think this date has ever been locked in but Cisco, if this query is indicative of FTD putting the show out (please!) then good luck with your query!

+1

I agree. there's only a handful of shows that are not professionally recorded that I think FTD should contemplate releasing, and this is one of them.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:59 pm

The tape box is the handwriting of Joan Deary

She was planning a double album of a 69 show.
but later she repalced the idea for the Our memories of Elvis Album. The tape was prepared to make a master for the album
as you can see side 1 to side 4.
In the late 80 i have met Joan Deary here in Holland and i had a conversation with her, and we talked about the Our memories of Elvis
and she mention a 69 show, years later i saw pictures of the tape box. Joan Deary was a very nice lady, a video tape of that meeting must be somewhere.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Matthew wrote:Isn't it something to do with the "it's hard to get going these dinner shows" line? He would have had to have done at least a couple of dinner shows to form that opinion, right?

Is Elvis saying this..during the show ?

At least we would now know for sure...it was a DS..first hint..it could also have been the 4th or 5th, of course..but It could also be August 1st as a debut...my mate merry77 has it this way..I have contacted him..

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Ciscoking wrote:

Is Elvis saying this..during the show ?

Yes, he does. The first time I ever heard the Baxter release, this comment by Elvis made me know right away that it was not the opening show.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Has anybody out there got an audience recording of Vegas, August 3, 1969 DS..?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:05 pm

I found this ..which could indicate that there`s in fact an audience recording...I will contact this guy..

http://elvisbootlegs.tripod.com/id5.html

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:08 pm

This is a worthwhile and good discussion-keep it going!! :lol:

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:39 pm

YDKM wrote:This is a worthwhile and good discussion-keep it going!! :lol:

You have more infos..? ALL is welcome..

I do know..you do know a lot... :wink:

Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:30 am

This to me is the most logical reason for the dating of 8/3/69. It doesn't necessarily mean it is correct though. I don't think the show could be any earlier than 8/3/69, given that Elvis only gave one show on opening night, then two shows a piece on August 1 and August 2. Since Elvis clearly pluralized the word phrase "dinner shows," it implies that he had already given more than one dinner show, which would place the dating no earlier than August 3. The show could obviously be from sometime later in the engagement, after August 3, but highly unlikely if it was before August 3.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Joan Deary changed the date