Off Topic Messages

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Do people like those yellow stars? They make the whole thing too busy, but overall it is great.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:and now I can't see some pictures and avatars..it looks like this


Fixed.. Was that server-gremlin again.....

I still can't see some of the avatars

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:and now I can't see some pictures and avatars..it looks like this


Fixed.. Was that server-gremlin again.....

I still can't see some of the avatars


Try hard refreshing your browser ---> ctl+f5 on your keyboard.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:and now I can't see some pictures and avatars..it looks like this


Fixed.. Was that server-gremlin again.....

I still can't see some of the avatars


Try hard refreshing your browser ---> ctl+f5 on your keyboard.

that did it. thanks :D

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:28 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:Hey, Jordan!

How about implementing a "Multi-Quote" function for the board? I've see that used on MANY forums! TCB-World and Elvis: It's A Matter Of Time are two message boards I know of that use this wonderful feature.


There's a multi-quote function enabled on the quick reply box.. Just highlight what you want to quote and click the "quote selected" link.



Ok, thanks, bro!

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:Jordan, what has happened to the thank button? Has it disappeared or am I not seeing it?

Regards,
Andy

I can't see it either!


Odd!
I think we have a server-gremlin! Fixed!

Thanks for fixing the gremlin! :smt006

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:13 am

Jordan,

I didn't have the time to read all the posts here, so I'm not sure if this has been suggested but is it possible to tag one person when you create a topic? Just like we do in facebook.

Thanks in advance,
Renan.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:49 am

Hi Renan.
Nobody has suggested that, but it sounds interesting. something like @Renan or something like that -- but then have it add some sort of functionality like member notification/link to profile?

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Jordan,

Another request, if possible. Again, I'm picking things I've seen on other forums, but that I think are either useful, fun, or interesting..

When a user thanks another user in an individual post, is it possible to see their username at the bottom of that post? So it would show up as ..

Thanks From: KevinK; JohnDoe; MaryJane;

If you see what I mean..

Thanks,

Kev.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks Kevin!
I have now re-added this functionality.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Nice one!
It's the little things in life.. 8)

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Jordan,

Once again, I'd like to see something on the boards where it would be possible for us to make a hyper-link much easier. For example, if I were to post a link to an article about the recent shootings in Conneticut, it would be nice to be able to write out the actual newspaper's headline on here and have the hyper-link embedded in the headline. Make sense? Here's JUST an example:

"Connetticut Still Mourning Loss Of Children & Teachers" (link embedded in the headline)

The actual "link" should be embedded inside those words and people would just click on them.

Another example: "ELVIS FOUND ALIVE!" (link embedded in the headline)


It's not that I'm too lazy to write out the URL and put the link in that way, it just seems easier to be able to write out the words and embed the link into those words or headlines.

God, I hope that made sense because it almost confused me......

Anyway, I hope you get an idea of what I'm referring to.....

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Tony,
I doubt this is possible with BBcode - but I will look into it.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Jordan,

Once again, I'd like to see something on the boards where it would be possible for us to make a hyper-link much easier. For example, if I were to post a link to an article about the recent shootings in Conneticut, it would be nice to be able to write out the actual newspaper's headline on here and have the hyper-link embedded in the headline. Make sense? Here's JUST an example:

"Connetticut Still Mourning Loss Of Children & Teachers" (link embedded in the headline)

The actual "link" should be embedded inside those words and people would just click on them.

Another example: "ELVIS FOUND ALIVE!" (link embedded in the headline)


It's not that I'm too lazy to write out the URL and put the link in that way, it just seems easier to be able to write out the words and embed the link into those words or headlines.

God, I hope that made sense because it almost confused me......

Anyway, I hope you get an idea of what I'm referring to.....

is that the same thing as I suggested on page one?:
Elvisgirl wrote:when you want to make a link look like this: example, would it be possible to add some buttons that you can press on, instead of having to type the url part?

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:28 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:Hi Renan.
Nobody has suggested that, but it sounds interesting. something like @Renan or something like that -- but then have it add some sort of functionality like member notification/link to profile?


For example (a funny one): I create a topic to show everybody how much I love the song My Boy and I want to make sure the guys that hate My Boy reads the topic. So I would tag them writing their login names in the topic. Something like: "check this fecc-mechanic and drjohncarpenter". (just an example LOL). With this, a tag would be created and these names would appear as hyperlink (tried to create with the blue color and the underline), like it is on facebook and the person would be notified via e-mail or through PM that they were tagged. Did you get the idea?

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:31 am

This could be very helpful in some topics. Just one more example: suppose I'm discussing Elvis On Tour footage and the discussion is very interesting and I know a person here in FECC could help with the knowlegde in this matter. So I would tag it like this: "fecc-mechanic, can you add your thoughts here?"

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:36 am

Hi Renan,
Cool. Yeah, that's what I assumed. I'll see what I can do over the next few days ;)

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:39 am

Great Jordan!

BTW, you're doing a terific job and thank you for taking your time to read all requests and trying to make it possible the suggestions.

::rocks

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 am

These are wonderful ideas, especially about tagging. Because it may make it a bit cozier, and more intimate - that would add a friendlier vibe. (And some people are shy, too, about certain things, and hitting a button might make it easier for some, too.) As for the "auto-bbcode" function, instead of hand-coding it, that will probably take some work. Like those HTML editors that do auto-markup. I imagine it can be done, but do take your time; you've already done so much. And it's Christmastime!

One request could be considered, at some point, since it would make awkward situations more comfortable. If, say, I goof, and remember the wrong quote from the wrong book, it would be nice to correct it with an "Uh oh, My Bad" type smiley. Without having to go into detail.

Enjoy the holiday weekend, Jordan, you've earned it! I wish you and your family much merriment! :smt114

rjm

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:06 pm

I just thought of something else...this is something I've only ever seen once before on another forum, that I can remember. I think it was called multi quote. if you wanted to quote more than one post in a thread there was a button under each post to click on, and then when you click "post reply" all the posts you wanted to quote, the ones you clicked on, was in the box where you type...I hope this makes sense

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:I just thought of something else...this is something I've only ever seen once before on another forum, that I can remember. I think it was called multi quote. if you wanted to quote more than one post in a thread there was a button under each post to click on, and then when you click "post reply" all the posts you wanted to quote, the ones you clicked on, was in the box where you type...I hope this makes sense


Hi.
This function is built in.. From the docs:

Code:
Click Post Reply (in Full Editor, not Quick Reply) and scroll down to the Topic Review section at the bottom.

Simply click the "Quote" button next to each quote you want to insert in the reply and it will quote it in your post. [At this point you may want to hit ENTER on your keyboard to put space between the next quote]

Scroll down again to Topic Review and proceed to select any other quotes you want included in your post. Done.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:13 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:I just thought of something else...this is something I've only ever seen once before on another forum, that I can remember. I think it was called multi quote. if you wanted to quote more than one post in a thread there was a button under each post to click on, and then when you click "post reply" all the posts you wanted to quote, the ones you clicked on, was in the box where you type...I hope this makes sense


Hi.
This function is built in.. From the docs:

Code:
Click Post Reply (in Full Editor, not Quick Reply) and scroll down to the Topic Review section at the bottom.

Simply click the "Quote" button next to each quote you want to insert in the reply and it will quote it in your post. [At this point you may want to hit ENTER on your keyboard to put space between the next quote]

Scroll down again to Topic Review and proceed to select any other quotes you want included in your post. Done.

wow, I didn't know that (obviously)! thanks for enlightening me ::rocks

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:31 pm

rjm wrote:
One request could be considered, at some point, since it would make awkward situations more comfortable. If, say, I goof, and remember the wrong quote from the wrong book, it would be nice to correct it with an "Uh oh, My Bad" type smiley. Without having to go into detail.

rjm



Good idea!
Have any in particular (from a google image search/etc) in mind?

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 pm

@Renan @rjm @fecc-mechanic

The tag function is now implemented.
To tag a member, and have them notified, simply surround their username with the tag code by typing their username and pressing the "tag" button like so:

Code:
[tag]someuser[/tag]


By default, when you are tagged you will be notified by private message.
To be notified by email, or to turn off notifications for this feature, go to:
User Control Panel ---->Board Preferences ----> Edit Posting Defaults
Then select your preferred option in the "Tags Notification Method" Dropdown box

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Great Jordan!

I received a PM confirming I was tagged.

THANK YOU!!!