Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 3000 South Paridise Road

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Charley Rogers wrote:Why is the 2001 theme not on the first disc of 3000 south paradise road? It is on the bootleg release!

If the listing on the tape box is a valid indicator then "Also sprach Zarathustra" simply wasn't recorded and was possibly simply tagged on top from another show on "Blazing into the darkness".

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm

My thoughts exactly.. ::rocks

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:59 pm

likethebike wrote:I'm not sure a nearly 70 year old man "rocking" out on something like "Jumping Jack Flash" is the height of dignity. What sense of menace does a 70-year-old bring to "Jumping Jack Flash"? What sense does it make for a 70 year old multi-millionaire to sing a song like "Satisfaction" (not performed at 12-12-12) other than audiences overwhelmingly, desperately wanting to witness the iconic image of the Rolling Stones singing their most famous song? That's an important thing and it's great they give the effort, but inherently that man on that stage could not possibly represent the lyrics in that song. He is old, he has had his every desire in his lifetime satiated. (These concerns apply less to Springsteen because so many of his songs deal with adult concerns or are direct narrative tales.) Mick Jagger and that song do not go together anymore and they haven't for decades. That's kind of the contradiction that Elvis was dealing with in the 1970s with his 1950s hits. He's not 21 anymore, yet he's iconic for these songs and they must be performed even if he doesn't relate to them anymore. Maybe these other performers have found a better middle ground, but it's not as if there were not a legitimate dilemma. If you think about it, a 70 year old Mick Jagger prowling around the stage like he's the hot young wolf is kind of an absurd and pitiful figure. If any of us engaged in the same sort of age inappropriate behavior we would be pilloried. It's not that you should fold up and die or surrender life when you get old, but at minimum you should have learned something. Mick Jagger trying to perform "Satisfaction" the way he did when he was 25 shows us he's gained what exactly?

"Hound Dog" is a perfect example of the dilemma Elvis as the first rocker to maintain a career in the mainstream faced. Elvis initially added the song as a burlesque, a joke, a bit of on stage fun. His outrageous performance on the Milton Berle Show, the performance of a young iconoclast, made sense for a guy who's making his mark by tearing up the system that previously had shut him out. It also demanded a record. The Steve Allen incident added another layer- anger. That force of nature that's on record is a large result of that anger. So what you have is a number added to the show as a bit of fun, a bit of outlandish farce and made into a record very much the sign post of one moment in the singer's life. The record performance is immortalized and frozen in time. (By that I don't mean bound by time, but the same forever and ever.) The singer is very clearly not. So it's a dilemma you have an iconic record and you have a singer who no longer has the power to deliver that song the way he did when he was 21. But it must be performed. Did Elvis want to be 70 years old and still swinging his hips to "Hound Dog" or did he see that as an indignant fate? It's a very important question and it's one that's too often ignored. An important element in the later Elvis' show- and Elvis himself mentioned this in his relatively few press conferences- was to demonstrate that he was not the same man he was in 1956. He had grown, he had learned, he had changed. Maybe sometimes your audience has to move with you.

I interviewed Billy Vera awhile back and he made an interesting comment to me. He said that the 1950s rockers at least wanted to grow up while the '60s rockers acted as if you could stay young forever. I think Elvis' later show, for all its imperfections, was a reflection of that desire, the idea that you couldn't, or more importantly, shouldn't rock forever. In the rock music choices that Elvis made in the 1970s you can at least see that these lyrics relate to a middle aged man. You still get horny. You still have a past, and the country is still full of possibilities as reflected in Berry's "Promised Land." But how many 40-year-olds feel comfortable asking to be someone's teddy bear?

Now this is not to excuse the fact that Elvis, for whatever reason, had a relatively short attention span. He constantly needed new input and new challenges to perform at his peak. Of course, this is another argument against some of the old songs. What did "Don't Be Cruel" have new to offer Elvis?

On some of the tracks, though, other types of context are extremely relevant. In a show that Elvis has decided- again for better or worse- to make about sensory overload, what role does a song like "In the Ghetto" play? And when Elvis is singing 20 songs a night does he really want to tear up his voice with "If I Can Dream?"

The song listing thing is made too much of anyway. He kept the lineup because it worked and there's something like 200 songs that were performed live between 1969 and 1977. That's a big catalog. The intent was not for folks to listen to 100 or 200 shows. If you listened to the half dozen or so (save EIC) that Elvis released in that time, complaints are few.

One of the most informative posts I have ever read on this site.

EXCELLENT work and I agree 100%!

Bob

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
likethebike wrote:I'm not sure a nearly 70 year old man "rocking" out on something like "Jumping Jack Flash" is the height of dignity. What sense of menace does a 70-year-old bring to "Jumping Jack Flash"? What sense does it make for a 70 year old multi-millionaire to sing a song like "Satisfaction" (not performed at 12-12-12) other than audiences overwhelmingly, desperately wanting to witness the iconic image of the Rolling Stones singing their most famous song? That's an important thing and it's great they give the effort, but inherently that man on that stage could not possibly represent the lyrics in that song. He is old, he has had his every desire in his lifetime satiated. (These concerns apply less to Springsteen because so many of his songs deal with adult concerns or are direct narrative tales.) Mick Jagger and that song do not go together anymore and they haven't for decades. That's kind of the contradiction that Elvis was dealing with in the 1970s with his 1950s hits. He's not 21 anymore, yet he's iconic for these songs and they must be performed even if he doesn't relate to them anymore. Maybe these other performers have found a better middle ground, but it's not as if there were not a legitimate dilemma. If you think about it, a 70 year old Mick Jagger prowling around the stage like he's the hot young wolf is kind of an absurd and pitiful figure. If any of us engaged in the same sort of age inappropriate behavior we would be pilloried. It's not that you should fold up and die or surrender life when you get old, but at minimum you should have learned something. Mick Jagger trying to perform "Satisfaction" the way he did when he was 25 shows us he's gained what exactly?

"Hound Dog" is a perfect example of the dilemma Elvis as the first rocker to maintain a career in the mainstream faced. Elvis initially added the song as a burlesque, a joke, a bit of on stage fun. His outrageous performance on the Milton Berle Show, the performance of a young iconoclast, made sense for a guy who's making his mark by tearing up the system that previously had shut him out. It also demanded a record. The Steve Allen incident added another layer- anger. That force of nature that's on record is a large result of that anger. So what you have is a number added to the show as a bit of fun, a bit of outlandish farce and made into a record very much the sign post of one moment in the singer's life. The record performance is immortalized and frozen in time. (By that I don't mean bound by time, but the same forever and ever.) The singer is very clearly not. So it's a dilemma you have an iconic record and you have a singer who no longer has the power to deliver that song the way he did when he was 21. But it must be performed. Did Elvis want to be 70 years old and still swinging his hips to "Hound Dog" or did he see that as an indignant fate? It's a very important question and it's one that's too often ignored. An important element in the later Elvis' show- and Elvis himself mentioned this in his relatively few press conferences- was to demonstrate that he was not the same man he was in 1956. He had grown, he had learned, he had changed. Maybe sometimes your audience has to move with you.

I interviewed Billy Vera awhile back and he made an interesting comment to me. He said that the 1950s rockers at least wanted to grow up while the '60s rockers acted as if you could stay young forever. I think Elvis' later show, for all its imperfections, was a reflection of that desire, the idea that you couldn't, or more importantly, shouldn't rock forever. In the rock music choices that Elvis made in the 1970s you can at least see that these lyrics relate to a middle aged man. You still get horny. You still have a past, and the country is still full of possibilities as reflected in Berry's "Promised Land." But how many 40-year-olds feel comfortable asking to be someone's teddy bear?

Now this is not to excuse the fact that Elvis, for whatever reason, had a relatively short attention span. He constantly needed new input and new challenges to perform at his peak. Of course, this is another argument against some of the old songs. What did "Don't Be Cruel" have new to offer Elvis?

On some of the tracks, though, other types of context are extremely relevant. In a show that Elvis has decided- again for better or worse- to make about sensory overload, what role does a song like "In the Ghetto" play? And when Elvis is singing 20 songs a night does he really want to tear up his voice with "If I Can Dream?"

The song listing thing is made too much of anyway. He kept the lineup because it worked and there's something like 200 songs that were performed live between 1969 and 1977. That's a big catalog. The intent was not for folks to listen to 100 or 200 shows. If you listened to the half dozen or so (save EIC) that Elvis released in that time, complaints are few.

One of the most informative posts I have ever read on this site.

EXCELLENT work and I agree 100%!

Bob

+1

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:28 pm

A friend of mine was kindly enough to lend me this new release for a few days.
The show on disc1 is really good,not a fan of soundboards but this reel recording is really great.
Rehersal sound quality on disc2 isnt high quality but we should just be grateful that we now have a chance to hear it :D
A lots of care have gone into the booklet as well.......love the pictures used (especially back cover+front booklet) and the linernotes is very well written with a lots of great info,well done.
As mentioned above I didnt order this but I have changed my mind.....will order it with next FTD batch as it was much better than I expected it to be.
Highly recommended....and at a great price too (same as a single disc 5`release)

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Good! I'm looking forward to getting it. How is his voice that night?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm

KingElvis wrote:A friend of mine was kindly enough to lend me this new release for a few days.
The show on disc1 is really good,not a fan of soundboards but this reel recording is really great.
Rehersal sound quality on disc2 isnt high quality but we should just be grateful that we now have a chance to hear it :D
A lots of care have gone into the booklet as well.......love the pictures used (especially back cover+front booklet) and the linernotes is very well written with a lots of great info,well done.
As mentioned above I didnt order this but I have changed my mind.....will order it with next FTD batch as it was much better than I expected it to be.
Highly recommended....and at a great price too (same as a single disc 5`release)

I'll be ordering it as well. Trying to time it so I can take advantage of when shopelvis.com is having a sale... hopefully in January.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 am

I received my order today and have listened to the Rehearsal disc only once. While the sound quality makes it difficult to understand the between-song talk, I think it shows EP pretty focused, at least in terms of wanting the arrangements right. Of course, it was a rehearsal and not a performance so he, clearly, holds back vocally on some of the songs (though I loved some of his vocal reaches on some, including "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road.")

Also, while this is difficult to express clearly, I was actually relieved and pleased by something he didn't do. As he was approached the bridge in "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" ("Baby, baby, I'd get down on my knees for you...") In my view, had he thrown in his 'if this suit wasn't too tight" ad lib, that would have signaled a man who was on auto-pilot and phoning in a performance/rehearsal. In other words, I was actually impressed that that "ad lib" was not, in his mind, an actual part of the lyric to be performed. It's hard to explain but had he sung that line during the rehearsal to a showroom empty of an audience, I would have been disappointed.

I can't wait to listen to the other CDs.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Dis one, the show, is slightly better then the old boot, in fact it's very good for a soundboard.
The show itself is great imo, the fact hat this is my favorite Vegas season is not strange to that, his shows where tight, great setlists, his voice is in fine shape.

Disc one is a real suprise to me.
I hear comments here that the sound is poor.. well if every audience recording was as this one, we be all praising it!!
In fact, considering the source, it's very good!!
Never knew that it existed too, that's real plus.
He is in a relaxed although pretty focussed mood.
We hear him rehearse songs that not even made the shows like "I"m leavin"-"Faded love" and "True love travels...".

A great double cd, with an atractive lay out (although i prefer an original B/W on the cover instead a re-coloured one).

Side question: the rehearsal part on the cd "Kickin' back and forth", is it from the same timeframe?
It sounds like it..EP is rehearsing also "True love" and"My way" in the same style as the FTD released rehearsal.
I own his cd from the day(1992) it's released and now by comparing, it looks like the same season...

That tracklist rehearsal is like this: True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Dialogue - My Way - Fever - Portrait Of My Love. during time 23:33

Any thoughts on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:55 pm

JohanD wrote:Dis one, the show, is slightly better then the old boot, in fact it's very good for a soundboard.
The show itself is great imo, the fact hat this is my favorite Vegas season is not strange to that, his shows where tight, great setlists, his voice is in fine shape.

Disc one is a real suprise to me.
I hear comments here that the sound is poor.. well if every audience recording was as this one, we be all praising it!!
In fact, considering the source, it's very good!!
Never knew that it existed too, that's real plus.
He is in a relaxed although pretty focussed mood.
We hear him rehearse songs that not even made the shows like "I"m leavin"-"Faded love" and "True love travels...".

A great double cd, with an atractive lay out (although i prefer an original B/W on the cover instead a re-coloured one).

Side question: the rehearsal part on the cd "Kickin' back and forth", is it from the same timeframe?
It sounds like it..EP is rehearsing also "True love" and"My way" in the same style as the FTD released rehearsal.
I own his cd from the day(1992) it's released and now by comparing, it looks like the same season...

That tracklist rehearsal is like this: True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Dialogue - My Way - Fever - Portrait Of My Love. during time 23:33

Any thoughts on this?

its a rehearsal from a few days later if i remember right.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 pm

IIRC, it was the same rehearsal as released on the "Susie Q" bootleg album.

Has this version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" (including Elvis saying "he's right, son of a b***h!") been released on the "Stage Rehearsal" FTD? Sorry, just forgot about it...

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 am

Just got my copy today at the local HMV UK in Leeds, and I must say the 8-12-72 evening show sounds miles better than the Gravel Roads release. Way to go FTD.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 am

niobeh wrote:
Charley Rogers wrote:Why is the 2001 theme not on the first disc of 3000 south paradise road? It is on the bootleg release!

If the listing on the tape box is a valid indicator then "Also sprach Zarathustra" simply wasn't recorded and was possibly simply tagged on top from another show on "Blazing into the darkness".

The 2001 theme is included on the Gravel Roads release, however the FTD release has much better sound quality. The GR release sounds way too muddy and muffled.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 am

There has been so much talk about the sound of this concert. Some say its improved, some say it is a step down. Could someone that has this
CD please compare it to an existing FTD soundboard? Is this recording closer to the February 1973, which is I believe a reel to reel, which I thought this was, release entitled "Ill Remember You" or some other release.

Thanks

Burning Love

I bought this one on Black Friday and just shipped from shopelvis and I should get it by next week, but I cant wait till then to
ask about the sounds

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:15 am

Could someone please tell me that has this release what previous soundboard does this sound like? One poster said that this was a reel to reel. The only one I know that might have been a Reel to Reel is the Feb 73 show "Ill Remember You". With all the talk about good sound and bad sound I just thought I would ask and see what does this recording sound like in relation to an already released FTD

Thanks

Burning Love

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:24 am

I cannot compare this concert to "other" releases and I certainly don't have the expertise of some when it comes to matters pertaining to sound. However, I just listened to this FTD show and I just love it. The sound is clear, crisp, sharp, and well balanced. The vocals are also well balanced. I have no critique of this release at all. Great show in great sound. Elvis is really good and delivers a solid show.

rlj

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, it was the same rehearsal as released on the "Susie Q" bootleg album.

Has this version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" (including Elvis saying "he's right, son of a b***h!") been released on the "Stage Rehearsal" FTD? Sorry, just forgot about it...

Thanks,forgot about that one, that was dated(on the record) as probably recorded at august 3th and "My way" as the 2th of august.
That could be the right date as it is the same style soundwise(bass overload) as the FTD "Stage rehearsal"
(Don't think that the fragment "he's right, son of a b***h!"" is included on that FTD, so it stays incomplete on official cd.)
Interesting listening though to hear it not edited on that bootcd.

Of the three recordings of rehearsals that this collector had and provided to FTD, could this be the third one?

I mean...
1-The one on "Stage rehearsal" Heavyly edited(not complete)
2-The one on 3000 Paradise road-complete
3-the one on "From Hawaii to Las Vegas"-complete

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:52 pm

JohanD wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, it was the same rehearsal as released on the "Susie Q" bootleg album.

Thanks,forgot about that one, that was dated(on the record) as probably recorded at august 3th and "My way" as the 2th of august.
That could be the right date as it is the same style soundwise(bass overload) as the FTD "Stage rehearsal"
(Don't think that the fragment "he's right, son of a b***h!"" is included on that FTD, so it stays incomplete on official cd.)
Interesting listening though to hear it not edited on that bootcd.

Of the three recordings of rehearsals that this collector had and provided to FTD, could this be the third one?

I mean...
1-The one on "Stage rehearsal" Heavyly edited(not complete)
2-The one on 3000 Paradise road-complete
3-the one on "From Hawaii to Las Vegas"-complete

Not too sure about this, Johan.

Here's the version from August 3, 1972 I patched together quite a while ago (unfortunately I can't remember the source, although I think I took it from the "Stage Rehearsal" CD):
http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/97949408/file.html

This might also help:

http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lis ... -1972.html

Just scroll down to August 1972. We'll find out in the not too distant future about the third rehearsal... :wink:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm

I hope it's the one from July31/August 1, 1973. Take a look at the list of songs on that one!!!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:30 pm

IMO this FTD is top notch. It's one of the best out there.
Love to hear James Burton playing a little bit different in afternoon concert. :D
::rocks

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Elvis gives a very going through the motions type performance. A little disappointed with this concert. But I'm happy to have a Vegas show from this period. It's very tight and together. I like the part where he jokes with the audience about reading comics before he came to the show while they were waiting in line. Can't quite make out what the lady says, but everyone seemed to think it was funny. I also like the band and orchestra in this one. I could hear the orchestra very clear and it was nice. I like Ronnie's drums and Jerry's bass. A little questionable about y he gave mediocre performances with "big name" people in the crowd. I guess he just had enough confidence that he was "the man" and felt the crowd did too because of who he was. Now, let me put this in perspective, for Elvis, is was and average performance. But to the average viewer and/or musician, it was great.

I couldn't find the actual show. I know it's out there because Ive seen it. Here's from that same season:
phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:11 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I hope it's the one from July31/August 1, 1973. Take a look at the list of songs on that one!!!

It's peculiar why he would want to rehearse Good, Bad, But Beautiful and yet apparently never recorded a vocal for the backing track cut in Memphis in July '73.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Did anybody notice that in the rehearsal at the beginning of Until It`s Time For You to Go..someone whistles
"Welcome To My World"..is this a hint..for more.. :wink:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I hope it's the one from July31/August 1, 1973. Take a look at the list of songs on that one!!!

It would be a dream come true, but take notice that July 31/ August 1 1973 rehearsal took place in RCA Studio in Hollywood, California.
It seems impossible he would get there and put a recorder.
All rehearsals we got from Don Lance by now are from Las Vegas.
The rehearsal we gonna get on FTD label is probably dated from 3-6 August 1973.
Maybe we will hear some of these:

I Feel So Bad
The Twelfth Of Never
Are You Sincere
She's Not You
A Mess Of Blues
Trouble
My Boy
Raised On Rock
Softly As I Leave You
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Last edited by Greg1995 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I want that one :D :

January 19 / 25 (Exact Dates Of Songs Unknown) Showroom, Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada:

The Last Time I Saw Her Face
Delta Lady
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More
Sunday Morning Coming Down
Steamroller Blues
Brown Eyes
Summer Days
Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
Until It's Time For You To Go
A Big Hunk O' Love
An American Trilogy