Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 3000 South Paridise Road

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 am

It didn't matter whether Elvis gave 1,000% or 1%. Fans bought anything anyway.
In 1958 even an EP with interviews got into the charts......

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:The rhythm arrangement is better in '69.

Agreed -- it's closer to the Chicago blues of the 1955 original, and Elvis' vocal is fantastic on the August 1969 master. It is no surprise Elvis dug Little Walter. I also find much to like with the alternate performance found on 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.

550219_Checker 811_Little Walter.JPG

phpBB [video]

Little Walter and His Jukes, "My Babe" (Checker 811, February 19, 1955)
Written by blues great Willie Dixon, Billboard US R&B #1 on April 23, 1955.

Personally I think it's a gesture to James Burton.
James Burton plays on both the version of Dale Hawking's and Ricky Nelson
The version of Ricky Nelson's came very close to the 69 version

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:It didn't matter whether Elvis gave 1,000% or 1%. Fans bought anything anyway.

I used to be like that. No longer though.

Now I stick to buying only bad sounding audience recordings.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Rob wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:It didn't matter whether Elvis gave 1,000% or 1%. Fans bought anything anyway.

I used to be like that. No longer though.

Now I stick to buying only bad sounding audience recordings.

I know Rob and you pay good prices too

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 pm

thermoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:The rhythm arrangement is better in '69.

Agreed -- it's closer to the Chicago blues of the 1955 original, and Elvis' vocal is fantastic on the August 1969 master. It is no surprise Elvis dug Little Walter. I also find much to like with the alternate performance found on 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.

550219_Checker 811_Little Walter.JPG

phpBB [video]

Little Walter and His Jukes, "My Babe" (Checker 811, February 19, 1955)
Written by blues great Willie Dixon, Billboard US R&B #1 on April 23, 1955.

Personally I think it's a gesture to James Burton.
James Burton plays on both the version of Dale Hawking's and Ricky Nelson
The version of Ricky Nelson's came very close to the 69 version

As I noted on page 1, Nelson's recording with Burton is nothing like the live versions we have from Presley with Burton in 1969.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm

I really like the 1969 versions of My Babe. Elvis seems really committed in his delivery and the songs rock. I understand that Elvis performed this song at Lake Tahoe in 1971.
As far as Elvis' level of commitment on this particular release, we must keep in mind that it is a rehearsal. I'm ust so glad to be getting this release. Along with the concert it makes a nice edition.

rlj

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Elvis and the band are fantastic in 69, the performance of My Babe is one of my favourites.
The you-tube clip I've listened to, from this isn't a patch on 69, but I will be getting this FTD anyway

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 pm

If he didn't want to do the 50's songs to begin with he sure as hell was not going to the effort of looking for different ones to play.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:25 am

DEH wrote:If he didn't want to do the 50's songs to begin with he sure as hell was not going to the effort of looking for different ones to play.

I don't know why he would hate his own songs? He said at the MSG press conference that he wasn't at all ashamed in his early stuff. He may have been b.s.ing though.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 am

In the 70s and even today those 50's tunes have cheeseball lyrics. When he compared those songs to newer songs he was singing and other artists were singing he must of thought that Hound Dog and Teddy bear and All shook up were just silly nonsense not to be taken seriously. lets face it. There was no depth to those songs.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 am

DEH wrote:In the 70s and even today those 50's tunes have cheeseball lyrics. When he compared those songs to newer songs he was singing and other artists were singing he must of thought that Hound Dog and Teddy bear and All shook up were just silly nonsense not to be taken seriously. lets face it. There was no depth to those songs.

No depth??? Some of the best rock and roll of all time. :D

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 am

You think All Shook Up is a deep song? Hound Dog? Teddy Bear? Don't Be Cruel? Blue Suede Shoes?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 am

DEH wrote:You think All Shook Up is a deep song? Hound Dog? Teddy Bear? Don't Be Cruel? Blue Suede Shoes?

He always could have changed them. Those are lightweight but he had other songs. And not EVERYTHING had to be deep! They could be fun. I think he just got bored of them, and I don't blame him. Anyway you want me, Don't, when it rains it really pours, Mess of blues, Stuck on you. He always performed That's All right Mama well. But let's face it, he didn't rock much after 1970, with a few exceptions. That's the disappointing thing. He didn't use many "well known" songs for the sit down special, but he still rocked them out. He just didn't put much effort into anything when he didn't have to actually "prove himself." Or if he got bored.. But he could have changed that!

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:51 am

He got tired of deeper songs too, like suspicious minds. And he lost along the way some deep mature songs that were mega hits, like in the ghetto or don't cry daddy. If I was at a concert in let's say November 1970 of an artist like elvis that had just had a string of golden records hits from if I can dream to the then current you don't have to say you love me I would have expected to hear them all, maybe with some older hits like now or never, hound dog or lonesome tonight, but above all I would've expected in the ghetto, don't cry daddy, suspicious minds, the wonder of you... Gosh, there was a career worth of golden hits in just those 2 years (68-70).

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 am

DEH wrote:You think All Shook Up is a deep song? Hound Dog? Teddy Bear? Don't Be Cruel? Blue Suede Shoes?

Don't forget One Night, Little Sister, I Got A Woman, Jailhouse Rock, Baby Let's Play House, Promised Land, Burning Love, Good Rockin' Tonight, Wear My Ring Around Your Neck, Trouble and many more great Elvis rock recordings that sold like crazy and that I love and listen to repeatedly.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 am

I'll take those recordings over virtually anything Elvis taped in the '70s. They're better records, they hit the top of the charts, and they helped change the world. That's pretty deep.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:13 am

Lyrically Teddy Bear and the like are hardly "deep"

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 am

poormadpeter wrote:Lyrically Teddy Bear and the like are hardly "deep"

For the '50's the sadomasochistic line
put a chain around my neck and lead me anywhere

is shocking if not deep.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 am

I think it is important to remember that we making a lot of assumptions based on a rehearsal tape. In August of 1972 Elvis was still performing with a lot of energy and was producing professional and committed shows. Who could blame him for relaxing a bit during rehearsals. It would seem that many of the questions being raised under the rubric of this 1972 release, would be better asked later in Elvis' life.
For example, it seems to me that in many cases later in his life Elvis seemed to be just plain "tired." Whether it was professional burn out, his depression, his poor physical health, his fear of growing older, who knows for sure. Many of his later shows seemed like he was on cruise control. And yet at the same time, he always seemed to perform "Trying to Get to You," "Mystery Train," and "That's All Right," well. Personally, I love the 1977 version of Lawdy Miss Clawdy. Others such as "My Way,"
"Hurt," "Unchained Melody," and even "Fairytale" were commited performances for the most part. And let's not forget surprises such as "Where No One Stands Alone," Rags to Riches," Moody Blue," and others nice rare performances he attempted in late '76 and early '77.
While it makes good conversation to speculate, it's really hard so many years after to know for sure what was going on in Elvis' head later in his life.
Just one mans opinion.

rlj

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:35 am

frus75 wrote:He got tired of deeper songs too, like suspicious minds. And he lost along the way some deep mature songs that were mega hits, like in the ghetto or don't cry daddy. If I was at a concert in let's say November 1970 of an artist like elvis that had just had a string of golden records hits from if I can dream to the then current you don't have to say you love me I would have expected to hear them all, maybe with some older hits like now or never, hound dog or lonesome tonight, but above all I would've expected in the ghetto, don't cry daddy, suspicious minds, the wonder of you... Gosh, there was a career worth of golden hits in just those 2 years (68-70).

That's a good point

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 pm

deep or not deep??....the guy just made music for fun, and becuase he loved it....he loved to have fun singing it and give fun to the world, that's all....and in that process he sang everything he could, silly songs and deep serious songs...that's why we like him, he has songs for every mood :wink:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I think Heartbreak Hotel is not only very deep, but with the atmosphere of the song also very dark.
There is also the sexuality in his songs. what was seen as vulgar in the 50's

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 pm

GuitarKing wrote:I recently purchased 3000 South Paridise Road FTD and am expecting it it the main soon. I just listened to a review (I don't know how they got it, but it is from 72') and heard "My Babe" from the rehearsal and I just have to say, I am really tired of listening Elvis put half effort into his performances from 71' on. In 71, Elvis gave luck swarm performances at in Vegas, although he did turn it on for the road later in the year. I do enjoy the concert performances from April for EOT and MSG 72 but the rehearsals from EOT are just pathetic! I looked forward to buying the Rehearsals from EOT on FTD a couple years ago but was "unpleasantly surprised" by his effort. Yes, it was a rehearsal but CAMERAS ARE ROLLING!!

Com'on Elvis!! If your gonna do something give it 100%. How many of u are tired of getting half hearted performances and lukewarmnes. Even when performing he would do this. As early as Vegas later in the summer engagement (although not much but u can notice). I love Elvis's humor and understand he was cool and earned the right to feel relaxed. But, after hearing this song (yes I know it's only a rehearsal) in poor quality I just feel like I may be giving this only a couple plays and thinking I might have just waisted my money and withing I would have got another FTD. I love Elvis am VERY happy for FTD and ALL the things it's made available to us. I am disappointed though in Elvis. If you needed time off just take it. If u don't like doing TEADY BEAR DON'T BE CRUEL

I agree. If you saw any of the 12-12-12 concert u saw these ancient rockers giving 110% to songs I am sure, they performed more than Elvis performed Hound Dog by now. Guys in their late 60's and 70's making Elvis looks like the old one. Pathetic.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 am

Exactly! That's a good point. He was only in his late 30s. I don't see any excuse for that especially when we see the older rockers putting in 100% and Elvis not. I really wish he would have.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:00 am

GuitarKing wrote:No I'm not bored with those oldies, Elvis was, and he didn't like doing them so he'd rush thru it or just mumble the words to get it over then he should have switch it. That all I'm saying.

'I am not in the least bit ashamed of Hound Dog and Heartbreak Hotel' So says Elvis at the MSG press conf, yet he performed them terribly with no respect. If you saw any of the 12-12-12 concert, you saw performers twice Elvis' age giving their 'oldie' standard songs the full monty. No excuse.