Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Suspicious Minds - original 1968 Mark James version

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 am

Just heard the 1968 original for the first time today. Much better than I was expecting. Presley's version hews closely to the original.

phpBB [video]

Re: Suspicious Minds - original 1968 Mark James version

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:57 am

James version seemed flat to me. Elvis' vocals were perfect on that record.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 am

Many of the same musicians play on both recordings. It goes to show that a great singer takes a great song to a place that no one else can.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Just heard the 1968 original for the first time today. Much better than I was expecting. Presley's version hews closely to the original.

phpBB [video]

Interesting and thanks. That sounds like it's running at a faster speed than the one uploaded a few years ago. Might one of these be running at a incorrect speed or did James record it twice and release it on a single? What do others think ?

phpBB [video]

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Robt wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:Just heard the 1968 original for the first time today. Much better than I was expecting. Presley's version hews closely to the original.

phpBB [video]

Interesting and thanks. That sounds like it's running at a faster speed than the one uploaded a few years ago. Might one of these be running at a incorrect speed or did James record it twice and release it on a single? What do others think ?

phpBB [video]

I uploaded the first video. The audio I used, was taken from the CD You Heard It Here First! (The Original Versions of Famous Songs). It has a different mix than the original 1968 single.

"This is a different mix to the Scepter 45. Horns and strings on the choruses are really prominent where they are hardly audible (if they're even there) on the single." -- Youtube member gramballard replying to my video.

The main reason I put it on Youtube is that the other video doesn't feature the complete song.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Many of the same musicians play on both recordings. It goes to show that a great singer takes a great song to a place that no one else can.

I totally agree.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Sounds sh*t, way too nasally and high-pitched. Elvis was at the right point in his life, he had a matured voice that fit the lyrics and the tone of the song.

Mark James' sounds like a whinge about losing his high-school girlfriend, lacks the tone, the emotion, the everything. Sounds like some lady-boy on the radio.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Great post, thanks so much. It is true that Elvis took this song "where no one had gone before." This song is arguably one the best performances of Elvis' career.

rlj

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Mark James sang this in Memphis this August......he sounded crap (sorry)

agree totally with what the Doc said 8) 8)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:35 am

daviddoelen wrote:
Robt wrote:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I uploaded the first video. The audio I used, was taken from the CD You Heard It Here First! (The Original Versions of Famous Songs). It has a different mix than the original 1968 single.

"This is a different mix to the Scepter 45. Horns and strings on the choruses are really prominent where they are hardly audible (if they're even there) on the single." -- Youtube member gramballard replying to my video.

The main reason I put it on Youtube is that the other video doesn't feature the complete song.

Thanks mate. I prefer your YT upload is the best one of the two. But is it running at the right speed ?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 am

Robt wrote:Thanks mate. I prefer your YT upload is the best one of the two. But is it running at the right speed ?

5% off, maybe? :smt001

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:21 am

ECC83 wrote:Sounds sh*t

I agree...I had to stop it, it was too horrible

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: It goes to show that a great singer takes a great song to a place that no one else can.

Are you referring to "My Boy?"

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 am

ECC83 wrote:Mark James' sounds like a whinge about losing his high-school girlfriend, lacks the tone, the emotion, the everything. Sounds like some lady-boy on the radio.

Come on now. Everyone knows that Kurt Russell's (or Ronnie's?) sublime interpretation is the "gold standard" by which all versions of "Suspicious Minds" are measured. :wink:

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm

McDowell is a genius.

His place as one of the foremost musical giants of the 20th century is firmly secured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 am

Robt wrote:
daviddoelen wrote:
Robt wrote:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thanks mate. I prefer your YT upload is the best one of the two. But is it running at the right speed?

Thank you ! I think it is running at the correct speed, but I'm no audio expert.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 am

Elvisgirl wrote:

I am often amazed by how so many Elvis fans fail to appreciate the original versions recorded later by Elvis Presley. Of course it's a waste of time to compare James version to Elvis. The likes of Mark James (or Dennis Linde) was'nt in the same league as Elvis. You (and others) just need to forget (or try to) hearing and comparing Elvis version for just 3 minutes to truly appreciate the original Mark James record.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 am

Robt wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

I am often amazed by how so many Elvis fans fail to appreciate the original versions recorded later by Elvis Presley. Of course it's a waste of time to compare James version to Elvis. The likes of Mark James (or Dennis Linde) was'nt in the same league as Elvis. You (and others) just need to forget (or try to) hearing and comparing Elvis version for just 3 minutes to truly appreciate the original Mark James record.

sometimes the original is better, sometimes it's not. that goes for all songs that any artist has ever covered, not just Elvis. in this case, I just don't think the original is better

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 am

Elvisgirl wrote:
Robt wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

sometimes the original is better, sometimes it's not. that goes for all songs that any artist has ever covered, not just Elvis. in this case, I just don't think the original is better

But EP thought so. He used virtually the same arrangement on his 1969 cut.. Try forgetting Elvis version for three minutes and appreciate that James was just a songwriter with limited vocal ability.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Robt wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
Robt wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

But EP thought so. He used virtually the same arrangement on his 1969 cut.. Try forgetting Elvis version for three minutes and appreciate that James was just a songwriter with limited vocal ability.

hard to block out the voice when listening to a song

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
Robt wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
Robt wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

hard to block out the voice when listening to a song

so funny :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005