Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Can't Help Falling In Love - August 3, 1969 - Best live?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 am

Does anybody else agree, it truly is the best live concert version ever? I can't easily explain it, but it beats any of the 1969 RCA recordings out of the water, and from what I can tell. He started doing it the standard way around August 12, or maybe even earlier.

I mean the way he holds the notes on "For I . . . can---ant help . . . falling." Instead of the more known, "For I . . . For I . . . I can;t help." I don't think he ever did like quite like that before (unless it was 68), and he never did it like that again.

Does anybody else like the slower live version as heard during only the third day of shows?

Re: Can't Help Falling In Love - August 3, 1969 - Best live?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:30 pm

The August 3, 1969 version is very good (and much better than any other 1969-1977 'live' rendition I've heard), but to me the "68 Comeback Special" version has to be the best 'live' performance of this Blue Hawaii classic. Period.

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm

It is a fine one, a lot like the 1968 actually but better for me because of the band.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:59 am

It sounds really good in the shower!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

If August 3, 1969 is the best live version of "Can't Help Falling In Love" this will change history forever!!
There are many, many, many more songs in Elvis' setlists please go through them one by one, till we get to know the best "Live Version" of them all!!!

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 am

I just wish he had done See See Rider at this show.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Even if he had done See See Rider at this '69 show, it would have never rocked like those '76 versions, Steve.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Just heard the August 3, 1969 version and I liked it. This is one of the few songs that I'm interested in hearing the different live versions to.

My personal favourite is probably the 1970 one from TTWII, the rehearsal version from Aloha and the one from EoT are close second and third.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:18 pm

I can't understand why everyone seems to mention the AFH "rehearsal" show when they mention best versions of songs - to me, they are not "best" in any way...forgotten words...too much goofing off with the audience...he seems incoherent at times during that show (NOT GOING THERE!) so....

I would have to rate the "Live @ The International '69" version up there at the top - it's sung beautifully and the music is wonderful. And, yes, I also like the version from EOT.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 pm

It's hard to top the August 3rd version from '69, I agree. Really does the song justice.

That said, I think the version from Memphis '74 was a really exciting, committed version. Maybe the last time he ever gave the song any care whatsoever.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 pm

I also think..this version from August 3, 1969 is brilliant.. :smt007 ..no hurries...Elvis
take the time the song derserves..

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 am

Yes, I like that '69 version very much. I realize after 15 or 20 years every phrase isn't going to be identical and there will be a more modern sound, but I wonder why Elvis chose to change some of his older hits so much in the 70s while some stayed fairly true to the original? Not being a musician myself, I can't figure how one goes to rehearse a song like "Can't Help Falling In Love" or "Love me," for example, and comes up with the treatment he gave them in the 70s. I found a later version of "I Was the One," which appeared to be an audience request, and aside from the fact that he forgot the words, he attempted it close to the original. Take a listen.

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:15 am

Some songs are just tougher to recreate live than in the studio. The original studio version of "CHFIL" is so perfectly quiet and intimate. He'd never be able to recapture that vibe in concert. I don't see a major shift in the presentation of "Love Me" arrangement wise, aside from it being faster from 1971 onward. The version of "Don't" he rehearsed on 7/24/1970 is similar to that version of "I Was the One" you posted (there's also a rehearsal version of "IWTO" from the 7/24 date) in that it's fairly similar to the original take.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:09 am

showfan wrote:Yes, I like that '69 version very much. I realize after 15 or 20 years every phrase isn't going to be identical and there will be a more modern sound, but I wonder why Elvis chose to change some of his older hits so much in the 70s while some stayed fairly true to the original? Not being a musician myself, I can't figure how one goes to rehearse a song like "Can't Help Falling In Love" or "Love me," for example, and comes up with the treatment he gave them in the 70s. I found a later version of "I Was the One," which appeared to be an audience request, and aside from the fact that he forgot the words, he attempted it close to the original. Take a listen.

phpBB [video]

Well, the answer is that he did CHFIL every night, and quickly got very bored with it. That just ruined it, but the great versions are SO great, they can generally make you forget the rest, especially the magical original. Back in the '70s and early '80s, when I was in college, after Elvis died, my mom wanted to watch that film all the time. I never cared that much for it, like she did, but the moment when the music box opens has never, ever ceased to give me chills. I only watch it every couple years now, so it's an even better moment.

(That version of "I Was The One" sounds oddly like the TTWII summer 1970 rehearsal, but with applause. I have so much stuff around, I have to check. It's not on "Stage Rehearsal" so I suppose it is live, but it sounds a lot like the rehearsal version. I think you see it, officially, on the 'Lost VHS Tape' called "The Lost Performances." Pretty sure it sounds very much like that one, but correct me if I'm wrong. It might could sound similar, yet be a different performance.)

rjm

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 am

This one?

phpBB [video]

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 am

GuitarKing wrote:This one?

phpBB [video]

Fantastic rendition, isn't it?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 am

Exogenesis wrote:

phpBB [video]

Fantastic rendition, isn't it?

Gosh, yeah! Melodically, it's a tad different, too, than what it soon became. That's because he really took his time to sing the song. A lovely wonder.

And that particular slice of home-movie footage catches the curtain going down!

The future looked so bright ahead.

rjm

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 am

rjm wrote:(That version of "I Was The One" sounds oddly like the TTWII summer 1970 rehearsal, but with applause. I have so much stuff around, I have to check. It's not on "Stage Rehearsal" so I suppose it is live, but it sounds a lot like the rehearsal version. I think you see it, officially, on the 'Lost VHS Tape' called "The Lost Performances." Pretty sure it sounds very much like that one, but correct me if I'm wrong. It might could sound similar, yet be a different performance.)

rjm

It's from the Aug 12, 1970 midnight show, as released on the 3-CD "That's The Way It Is: Special Edition".

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 am

phpBB [video]

Best live version ever.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 am

You've heard every live version?

I'm impressed.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Rob wrote:You've heard every live version?

I'm impressed.

No, I haven't. I just hate the "but I . . . I . . . I can't help" - and he did that with every single version AFTER August 5, 1969.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:39 am

First you say it was the best live version ever, making me think you've heard them all. Then you tell me that you haven't heard every single version, then you say he sang it that way every time after August 5, 1969. Before that, you said August 3rd. So you have heard EVERY version? What about the August 4th version since it was in between the two?

I'm so confused.