Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

3000 South Paridise Road

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:39 am

I recently purchased 3000 South Paridise Road FTD and am expecting it it the main soon. I just listened to a review (I don't know how they got it, but it is from 72') and heard "My Babe" from the rehearsal and I just have to say, I am really tired of listening Elvis put half effort into his performances from 71' on. In 71, Elvis gave luck swarm performances at in Vegas, although he did turn it on for the road later in the year. I do enjoy the concert performances from April for EOT and MSG 72 but the rehearsals from EOT are just pathetic! I looked forward to buying the Rehearsals from EOT on FTD a couple years ago but was "unpleasantly surprised" by his effort. Yes, it was a rehearsal but CAMERAS ARE ROLLING!!

Com'on Elvis!! If your gonna do something give it 100%. How many of u are tired of getting half hearted performances and lukewarmnes. Even when performing he would do this. As early as Vegas later in the summer engagement (although not much but u can notice). I love Elvis's humor and understand he was cool and earned the right to feel relaxed. But, after hearing this song (yes I know it's only a rehearsal) in poor quality I just feel like I may be giving this only a couple plays and thinking I might have just waisted my money and withing I would have got another FTD. I love Elvis am VERY happy for FTD and ALL the things it's made available to us. I am disappointed though in Elvis. If you needed time off just take it. If u don't like doing TEADY BEAR DON'T BE CRUEL

Re: 3000 South Paridise Road

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 am

GuitarKing wrote:Com'on Elvis!! If your gonna do something give it 100%.

I know he can hear you.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

I think the thing you are missing here is that they are rehearsals and not performances. You cannot judge a man when he is singing to allow himself and the band to rehearse. It was never meant to be heard, and so we should only judge on the live shows and not the rehearsals.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:50 am

(Sorry my phone messed up)

If u don't like doing Teaddy Bear, Don't be Cruel,ect just do Fame and Fortune or Stuck on You or something. He had a LARGE catalog to choose from. And no, I'm honestly not trying to judge Elvis. I know that he had a lot to deal with and I feel bad for what he went through. All I'm saying is that I wish I didn't have to cycle through stuff from 54-61, 67-70 and let's face it 71-74 are not all that good (especially his studio work) and 76-77 go without saying. Heck, 73' Aloha from Hawaii is disappointing to me. He gave a GREAT singing display but the rock songs are just pathetic. I'm sorry that I really only watch the Hawaii show maybe 3 times a year. Now to all the haters that will try to tear me apart... Im just saying I give my honest opinion and you know that I'm not too for from the truth even if you don't agree....

Here's what I listened to last night. A mediocre performance from the greatest of all time..

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 am

Sorry***** completed!!!! Part 3

phpBB [video]

I'm not really judging this rehearsal performance, but I have a feeling when I listen to the August 72 concert, I may be disappointed. I was about to buy "impossible dream" FTD from 71 and read a bad review off of EIN and decided I may not buy it because it said how little effort he put in it. Although the bonus songs are worth the listen and I DO want to hear "It's Now or Never." Does it have to be that way? All I'm saying is its disapointing.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 am

If the rehearsal is a true reflection of what made it to the stage then yes, My Babe pails in comparison to the version 3 years prior. The band don't appear to capture the right vibe either. Still, I look forward to hearing it in its correct context.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:19 am

Matthew wrote:If the rehearsal is a true reflection of what made it to the stage then yes, My Babe pails in comparison to the version 3 years prior. The band don't appear to capture the right vibe either. Still, I look forward to hearing it in its correct context.

I don't agree what you say about the band....if this version would have been recorded reel to reel like the 69 version I asure you would have a different view....just listen to the opening night version, is great...and comes from an AR :wink:

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:52 am

The rhythm arrangement is better in '69.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 am

Matthew wrote:The rhythm arrangement is better in '69.

Which version, Matthew? There are two quite different arrangements in 69, aren't there (not sure of dates, but I'm thinking of In Person v the Silver box).

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:29 am

Agreed -- it's closer to the Chicago blues of the 1955 original, and Elvis' vocal is fantastic on the August 1969 master. It is no surprise Elvis dug Little Walter. I also find much to like with the alternate performance found on 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.

550219_Checker 811_Little Walter.JPG

phpBB [video]

Little Walter and His Jukes, "My Babe" (Checker 811, February 19, 1955)
Written by blues great Willie Dixon, Billboard US R&B #1 on April 23, 1955.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: it's closer to the Chicago blues of the 1955 original, and Elvis' vocal is fantastic on the August 1969 master. It is no surprise Elvis dug Little Walter.

Got to wonder did Little Walter dig Elvis?

They used Elvis version in Cadillac Records,
but not as a compliment. Of course it was just
a movie (good overall), but the time sequence
was a bit off for Elvis version to appear in the
film.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 am

iplayastrat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: it's closer to the Chicago blues of the 1955 original, and Elvis' vocal is fantastic on the August 1969 master. It is no surprise Elvis dug Little Walter.

Got to wonder did Little Walter dig Elvis?

Let us know if you find an answer to that.

We do know that he did not live long enough to hear Presley's 1969 cover.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Let us know if you find an answer to that.

He did not live long enough to hear Presley's 1969 cover of his most successful recording.

That's why he hasn't returned my calls.

Still the film didn't mind using it - in the way they did.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am

i received the cd on wednesday and it is a beauty :-) great covershots, great booklet with great photos, and not one in a jumpsuit. man, those "casual" (ok, not too casual actually) clothes he wore on stage then made him look really good. I heard only the rehearsal cd so far (though in its entirety) and it was a nice experience being a listener to that rehearsal. sure elvis does not use his complete vocal range nor does he put a lot of power in the rehearsed songs, but still most of the songs sound well enough performed to be used in this way in his stage performance. furthermore it is surprising to me that he did do some songs that really did not need any rehearsal because they have been played regularly since at least the beginning of the year (1972). i do not like the version of "my babe" because in my opinion is it performed too fast. the 69-version beats this one a thousand times. but "true love travels on a gravel road" is a good performance and the band does it well rehearsed. a few problems (or else elvis just jokes around) at the beginning of "faded love" but still even this version runs along very well. the big ballads get their usual lenghty treatment and they sure meant something to him (what now my love, my way). although the sound is AR it is really okay. after all, this is a piece of elvis history fans should have the chance to witness, so i am thankful that it has been released. only question for me is: is it complete? there are fade ins, fade outs, cuts, which are clearly audible. but maybe it was just tape noise to be heard on the original tape because there was nothing going on. this just happens while rehearsing, there are always portions of silence and off-microphone talking and it makes no sense to waste time on a cd if it would be included. however, this is a great ftd cd -- yet i am only talking about one of the two cds included in this set ;-)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:15 am

iplayastrat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Let us know if you find an answer to that.

He did not live long enough to hear Presley's 1969 cover of his most successful recording.

That's why he hasn't returned my calls.

Still the film didn't mind using it - in the way they did.

It's been four years since the film was released.

Contact Darnell Martin, director and writer of "Cadillac Records," if it bothers you that much:

081124_Cadillac Records premiere_Darnell Martin.JPG
Director Darnell Martin, Monday, November 24, 2008
Outside the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles, "Cadillac Records" world premiere.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0552140/
http://movies.rightcelebrity.com/darnell-martin-is-cadillac-records-director/303

Somehow, one suspects you may get the "Little Walter treatment" yet again. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:19 am

Again we jump to unproven assumptions.

Perhaps it was the hit version by Ricky Nelson which led to the Elvis recording in 1969.

Perhaps James Burton had some influence.....after all he played on both recordings

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 am

GuitarKing wrote:Com'on Elvis!! If your gonna do something give it 100%. How many of u are tired of getting half hearted performances and lukewarmnes. If u don't like doing Teaddy Bear, Don't be Cruel,ect just do Fame and Fortune or Stuck on You or something.

GuitarKing wrote:(Sorry my phone messed up)

Ohh, I see. Happens to me all the time. No biggie; you had the "time-travel-mode" turned off. :wink:

rjm
P.S. -- @GuitarKing: thanks for the clip! It's no '69, for sure. Shame, 'cause it was SO awesome back then. I don't care if you call it a rehearsal or what, the difference is stark. BTW, that scene in Cadillac Records had me screaming at the screen, when I saw it. (Not in a theater.) Where they're preparing Little Walter for burial, while playing Elvis's version of "My Babe." "A Murderer! So now you're calling Elvis a MURDERER!?!" Just having a fit! I do that sometimes.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:53 am

GuitarKing wrote:....just do Fame and Fortune or Stuck on You or something.

I can't speak for the first two songs, but he did 'Something' several times both in rehearsal and on stage. I know you've heard it.

Something in the way she moves......

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Which version, Matthew? There are two quite different arrangements in 69, aren't there (not sure of dates, but I'm thinking of In Person v the Silver box).

The arrangement is the same, the only real difference is Larry Muhoberac plays an acoustic piano on In Person, and an electric piano on the Silver Box version (later appearing on Live In Vegas) - but he plays the same music on both.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:03 am

Rob wrote:
GuitarKing wrote:....just do Fame and Fortune or Stuck on You or something.

I can't speak for the first two songs, but he did 'Something' several times both in rehearsal and on stage. I know you've heard it.

Something in the way she moves......

Lol, not "Something" the song! Some other song. Lol. He could have done Mess of Blues or I Got Stung or Don't. He could have switched it up more. That might have brought more life into the song rather than the same 5 oldies for the 5,000th time. The fans still would have liked it.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:18 am

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

The arrangement is the same, the only real difference is Larry Muhoberac plays an acoustic piano on In Person, and an electric piano on the Silver Box version (later appearing on Live In Vegas) - but he plays the same music on both.

Spot-on, Matthew.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Again we jump to unproven assumptions.

Perhaps it was the hit version by Ricky Nelson which led to the Elvis recording in 1969.

Perhaps James Burton had some influence.....after all he played on both recordings

One listen to Elvis' performance tells us that he's pulling from Chicago, rather than Los Angeles. He sings Little Walter's lyrics, and the core arrangement pulls from the blues.

Nelson's recording is nice, though. The arrangement is best described as rockabilly-pop. Burton's licks are all over the recording, and you even hear him throw in a bit of his trademark "Susie-Q" riff at one point.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 am

GuitarKing wrote:That might have brought more life into the song rather than the same 5 oldies for the 5,000th time.

Thousands of fans heard the "same 5 oldies" only once. No one knew that 40 years later there would be a multitude of soundboard releases that we can sit back and enjoy. Don't take it for granted. Relish the fact that we are able to hear recordings that were never meant to be heard many moons later.

It's what I do -- and I've been enjoying them for decades.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 am

No I'm not bored with those oldies, Elvis was, and he didn't like doing them so he'd rush thru it or just mumble the words to get it over then he should have switch it. That all I'm saying.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 am

GuitarKing wrote:I'm not really judging this rehearsal performance...

Why do so many fans have problems to judge the King? I am an adult and sane person and so I consider myself able to judge what I hear and see. And if a performance is lackluster it is what it is. Unfortunately Elvis sang a lot of songs that way....