Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Blossoms - December 3, 1968

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 am

Blue River wrote:From another thread -
drjohncarpenter wrote:They may be... heard on... "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" (1968 master - maybe)

Why just "maybe"?

Let not parse my quotes, as the meaning is lost.

Here is the full post:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As noted, Darlene Love and the Blossoms never opened a show for, or played live with, Elvis.

They may be seen and heard on the NBC-TV Special (songs taped June 1968), heard on "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" (1968 alternate master), "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" (1968 master - maybe), and "Let Us Pray" (1969 master), and seen in the film "Change of Habit" miming backing vocals to "Rubberneckin'."

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66701&view=next#p1034715

In my statement, "maybe" is referencing the question as to whether it is their voices on the 1968 master.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:They may be... heard on... "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" (1968 master - maybe)

Why just "maybe"?

Here is the full post:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As noted, Darlene Love and the Blossoms never opened a show for, or played live with, Elvis.

They may be seen and heard on the NBC-TV Special (songs taped June 1968), heard on "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" (1968 alternate master), "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" (1968 master - maybe), and "Let Us Pray" (1969 master), and seen in the film "Change of Habit" miming backing vocals to "Rubberneckin'."

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66701&view=next#p1034715

In my statement, "maybe" is referencing the question as to whether it is their voices on the 1968 master.

I already understand your meaning for writing "maybe". Nothing was lost on my part.

Now... back to The Blossoms - Who else would've overdubbed their voices in December of 1968 on "Clean Up Your Own Back Yard"?
It's them.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 am

Blue River wrote:I already understand your meaning for writing "maybe".

Then don't waste my time asking a question you already know the answer to.

Thanks!

::rocks

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:I already understand your meaning for writing "maybe".

Then don't waste my time asking a question you already know the answer to.

The only time wasted was my time reading your "maybe".

"Maybe" this and "maybe" that doesn't cut it, drjohn. Get with the program.

Hope this helps! :D

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 am

Please let us know when you correct the errors in your original post. It will make it that much better!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Please let us know when you correct the errors in your original post. It will make it that much better!

Done.

I didn't change who sang "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" because you haven't shown me any proof otherwise.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Please let us know when you correct the errors in your original post. It will make it that much better!

Done.

I didn't change who sang "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" because you haven't shown me any proof otherwise.

I guess you need someone to write and tell you what Darlene Love's voice sounds like.

Besides the fact -- already stated and proven from those "Shindig!" clips I posted years ago -- that Darlene Love was always the leader of the Blossoms, those who know better can recognize her voice. ;-)

Hope this helps!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Done.

I guess you need someone to write and tell you what Darlene Love's voice sounds like.

Besides the fact -- already stated and proven from those "Shindig!" clips I posted years ago -- that Darlene Love was always the leader of the Blossoms, those who know better can recognize her voice. ;-)

Hope this helps!

Alrighty then... you've twisted my arm... Darlene it is.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:11 am

Rocker wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The Blossoms were part of the "Shindig!" program house bandhttp://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69540[/size]

i think this oughta be interesting to some people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Ne95PR-z8

phpBB [video]

Although LaVerne Baker did it first, Elvis's whole presentation seems more like Darlene's version, especially the choreography, the tambourines, the dancers. Someone watched the Shindig version - or Darlene had some input. No way to know without the full session outtakes, notes, etc. as to this particular song. Be nice to see what the choreographers wrote out. They may have mentioned Shindig.

rjm

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 am

rjm wrote:Although LaVerne Baker did it first, Elvis's whole presentation seems more like Darlene's version, especially the choreography, the tambourines, the dancers. Someone watched the Shindig version - or Darlene had some input. No way to know without the full session outtakes, notes, etc. as to this particular song. Be nice to see what the choreographers wrote out. They may have mentioned Shindig.

Someone did.

"Singer Presents Elvis" NBC-TV director Steve Binder had the same role on NBC's "Hullabaloo," which was created in late 1965 to compete with "Shindig!"

Hullabaloo (TV series)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hullabaloo_(TV_series)

Binder also helmed the film I cited earlier, "T.A.M.I. Show," so he well knew both Darlene Love and that ABC-TV program.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Why just "maybe"?

Here is the full post:

I already understand your meaning for writing "maybe". Nothing was lost on my part.

Now... back to The Blossoms - Who else would've overdubbed their voices in December of 1968 on "Clean Up Your Own Back Yard"?
It's them.

"Maybe" the same babes that did Rubberneckin' ? :D

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Oh, c'mon, let's not turn this topic into another fight.

I appreciate the facts presented here by Blue River very much - thanks for the thread, my friend. It's always appreciated when someone contributes to this place with the intent of discussing the music and not to boost one's ego. Of course, credits where due: thanks Doc too for the added info.

I admit that I don't know much about them... But I do and always did appreciate the Gospel segment from the '68 special and oh my, what a voice Darlene Love has (and, of course, the Blossoms). I think it's time to dig some material - I really love 'em ladies singing. Thanks once again, BR! :D Hopefully more people will see this thread and find interest in knowing more about the beautiful singing of The Blossoms.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm

One of the greatest (and underrated) voice in pop music is Darlene Love. Yes, this version of Saved is what inpsired the '68 TV special version. It's almost the exact same arrangement. Darlene also has the most revered rock & roll Christmas song along with Elvis' Santa Claus is Back In Town. That is Christmas, Baby Please Come Home. Always wished Elvis would have cut that one.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:56 am

rjm wrote:
TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:She'll likely be on Letterman, as usual, to sing it live, just before Christmas Eve!

rjm

She'll be on December 20th this year.

Thanks! It's IN the Calendar! (Which means it's sync'ed to my phablet, as well - will never forget.)

Happy Holidays!

rjm

You'll need to change the calendar entry. Seems it will be filmed on the 20th but not air until the 21st. :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

Darlene's stories seemed to have changed. She said that her and Elvis made out in his trailer on the set of "Change of Habit" but that it was him that backed out.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 am

DEH wrote:Darlene's stories seemed to have changed. She said that her and Elvis made out in his trailer on the set of "Change of Habit" but that it was him that backed out.

When and where did Darlene Love make this statement? I am not familiar with this. Please let us know.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:Darlene's stories seemed to have changed. She said that her and Elvis made out in his trailer on the set of "Change of Habit" but that it was him that backed out.

When and where did Darlene Love make this statement? I am not familiar with this. Please let us know.

It was either her book or an online interview. She said he stopped because he said some of his family would not approve of what he was doing. Indicating that that were some racists in his family. His dad maybe? that have been people who have said his dad was bigot.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 am

DEH wrote:It was either her book or an online interview. She said he stopped because he said some of his family would not approve of what he was doing. Indicating that that were some racists in his family. His dad maybe? that have been people who have said his dad was bigot.

Can you please tell us which it is? I would like to learn more about this.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 am

TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:
TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:She'll likely be on Letterman, as usual, to sing it live, just before Christmas Eve!

rjm

Thanks! It's IN the Calendar! (Which means it's sync'ed to my phablet, as well - will never forget.)

Happy Holidays!

rjm

You'll need to change the calendar entry. Seems it will be filmed on the 20th but not air until the 21st. :)

Thanks, TJ! (And for anyone for whom this is part of their annual festivities!)

You know, she had a health scare this past summer, but she's okay. She was performing immediately. So, she'll be there with bells on! It's okay if it's taped -- it may be because of that. Thanks again!

rjm

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:It was either her book or an online interview. She said he stopped because he said some of his family would not approve of what he was doing. Indicating that that were some racists in his family. His dad maybe? that have been people who have said his dad was bigot.

Can you please tell us which it is? I would like to learn more about this.

When he made the pass, he muttered that his grandparents might turn over in their graves. DEAD grandparents.

If you listen to the interview that Julian first posted last Christmastime, it is quite relevatory of her feelings. At one point she said, laughing sorta, "I was scared."

She's recalled several times. She really had a good giggle over the whole thing on that interview! The announcer, who was (I don't know which - help: British, or Australian?), said she gave Elvis "the knock-back." The brush-off.

rjm

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:48 am

Hasn't she also said that she was too scared to accept Tom Jones' advances?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:44 am

TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:
TJ wrote:

rjm

Happy Holidays!

rjm

Which it is! For those in Pacific Time (which I am), Letterman will be on in less than an hour. (They usually save her for last.) For those in other time zones, you may have seen it already. (I won't look on YouTube, 'cause I want it to be fresh.)

Letterman, CBS, 11:35 PM . . .

rjm