Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Best & Worst Purchase Of 2012 ?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 am

"Best" has got to be the BOOTLEG book.

No "worst" for me, because I learned ages ago to look before you leap with EP World purchases. Things often don't live up to their hype. I'm too selective now and even then I'll wait for reviews on releases that I'm skeptical about.

On that note, I'll never complain about FTD's, but I also don't buy them all anymore (including the book-CD combos). Therefore, no regrets on my part as far as purchases go.

N8
... just a fan ....

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 am

rocknroller wrote:Best was a sat nav i just could not be without it now ! worst was a pair of puma football boots they burst after 3 games !!!

Just noticed this was in the all elvis section so none for me as i have bought nothing of elvis in 2012 that i can remember !!!

I wonder: what do they have to release to make you buy Elvis item in 2013?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 am

Alexander wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Best was a sat nav i just could not be without it now ! worst was a pair of puma football boots they burst after 3 games !!!

Just noticed this was in the all elvis section so none for me as i have bought nothing of elvis in 2012 that i can remember !!!

I have bought enough elvis cds over the years ! my elvis buying days are long gone !!!
Last edited by rocknroller on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 am

rocknroller wrote:I have bought enough elvis cds over the years ! my elvis buying days are are long gone !!!

I bet that will change if FTD decide to roll-out "Elvis' 40 Greatest" next year!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
rocknroller wrote:I have bought enough elvis cds over the years ! my elvis buying days are are long gone !!!

I bet that will change if FTD decide to roll-out "Elvis' 40 Greatest" next year!

Whatever floats your boat dude !!!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:42 am

rocknroller wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Whatever floats your boat dude !!!

"Hits of the 60's"?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm definitely on board if FTD rolls out "Elvis' 40 Greatest." I have the pink vinyl version.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:49 pm

If FTD puts out 40 Greatest Hits and fans actually buy it, well, what can I say other than farewell my naive suckers. I can longer discuss anything rational with you.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 pm

rocknroller wrote:
Alexander wrote:

I have bought enough elvis cds over the years ! my elvis buying days are long gone !!!

That's what my wife hopes I would reach that point someday but the last decade it is really fun being an Elvis fan, more than ever before I would say. Well, each his own dude. Life is more than Elvis for some :wink:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Matthew wrote:
r&b wrote:Best - MRS Live 50's recordings. Sorry but I only wanted what I was missing and did not feel like shelling out the bucks for Tupelo set or a book.

It's good they ripped off the audio from Tupelo for you then! :smt002

Yes it is and I also got I Forgot To Remember To Forget on there as well. As I said, I got exactly what I wanted. If I wanted outtakes and a huge book, I would have bought the box.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 am

Alexander wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
Alexander wrote:

That's what my wife hopes I would reach that point someday but the last decade it is really fun being an Elvis fan, more than ever before I would say. Well, each his own dude. Life is more than Elvis for some :wink:

Good for you mate ! its a shame i don't get much fun out of buying elvis cds anymore its just one of those things my music tastes have just changed and i just spend my money on other things.but i had a lot of great years collecting elvis records and cds.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 am

As far as Elvis related purchases in 2012:

Best: FTD's "On Stage," "From Hawaii to Vegas," and while not FTD, the MSG box set

Worst: Nothing Elvis related

rlj

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 am

rlj4ep wrote:As far as Elvis related purchases in 2012:

Best: FTD's "On Stage,"...

The original is one of my favorite albums.
But the FTD version and others that have
added more songs or different versions of
the songs have turned a great album into
just another compilation. We seem to want
more, more, more. And it ruins many CD's.

On a positive note, the Tupelo and Prince
sets are a real highlight of 2012 for me. Not
to mention Jack White's Blunderbuss. Oops,
different artist - so sorry.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 am

N880EP wrote:"Best" has got to be the BOOTLEG book.

No "worst" for me, because I learned ages ago to look before you leap with EP World purchases. Things often don't live up to their hype. I'm too selective now and even then I'll wait for reviews on releases that I'm skeptical about.

On that note, I'll never complain about FTD's, but I also don't buy them all anymore (including the book-CD combos). Therefore, no regrets on my part as far as purchases go.

N8
... just a fan ....

I'm kind of indifferent about the Bootleg Elvis book... I did purchase it but now I wonder if I should have spent that money on new FTD releases. While it's a beautifully finished "bible" of bootlegs, I really haven't spent much time reading it...

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am

r&b wrote:As I said, I got exactly what I wanted. If I wanted outtakes and a huge book,
and better sound,
r&b wrote:I would have bought the box.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:23 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I'm kind of indifferent about the Bootleg Elvis book... I did purchase it but now I wonder if I should have spent that money on new FTD releases. While it's a beautifully finished "bible" of bootlegs, I really haven't spent much time reading it...

I love the book and am getting a lot of knowledge and joy from it. It's pretty much replaced my well worn Lee Cotten, "Jailhouse Rock" book as my favorite on the topic.

I suppose I'm just the opposite, because .....

Ironically, now that you mention it and after giving it some thought, I kind of feel exactly the same (indifferent) about a number of the FTD releases. Never thought I'd say that, but I do.

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 pm

I don't know yet! I don't guess anything will be a disappointment - still awaiting "Prince From" and a few other Elvis items I saved for X-mas, so I'll find out. I think they'll be great, though, as I've had some previews.

The best will be hard to outdo: The Big Boy! (And the heaviest!)

But really, the music from ABFT is on my IPod, lossless, and light as a feather, and absolutely fantastic! And I'm slowly plowing through the book, as I make a time to take it from the shelf, find a place to enjoy it, and then put it back. So that'll keep me busy. (There are a couple other El-books, too, that were wonderful. The Jailhouse Rock book (photographs - not Lee Cotten), nice! But I am sticking with the Big Boy one, 'till I do it. It is wonderful; I'm just far from done!)

rjm ::rocks

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:05 pm

iplayastrat wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:As far as Elvis related purchases in 2012:

Best: FTD's "On Stage,"...

The original is one of my favorite albums.
But the FTD version and others that have
added more songs or different versions of
the songs have turned a great album into
just another compilation. We seem to want
more, more, more. And it ruins many CD's.

On a positive note, the Tupelo and Prince
sets are a real highlight of 2012 for me. Not
to mention Jack White's Blunderbuss. Oops,
different artist - so sorry.

I could not disagree more on On Stage FTD. It is a great document altogether on the January/ February engagement. This is what FTD is. If you do not like original albums with extended work-in-progress outtakes and live cuts you are better of buying the Legacy releases.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm

JohanD wrote:But all in all, it's been a pretty good year for the fan!!

You can say that again. This has been a remarkable year. Neither FTD and Sony disappointed for those who want to get the best.
The overall picture is different though, with the X-mas album, the i am an Elvis fan (who came up with that title and executed that concept?) and the hits of the 70's FTD.
But maybe they are necessary to get the good stuff. And that we got plenty this year.
A big thanks to all involved.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 am

Alexander wrote:
I could not disagree more on On Stage FTD. It is a great document altogether on the January/ February engagement. This is what FTD is. If you do not like original albums with extended work-in-progress outtakes and live cuts you are better of buying the Legacy releases.

Don't think that I don't like the songs that were included on the FTD release.
It's just the fact that "On Stage" is such a great album that adding extra songs
kind of ruins it for me. Especially the inclusion of 'Long Tall Sally" and the same
songs (different versions) on the same CD (Disc 1).

I would have preferred the first CD to be the original ten songs. And the second
CD to include all the others. But then people would have complained that FTD
didn't use all the available space on disc one.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:03 am

These are among my top 10. lol.

The worst purchase I made would be the "Elvis in Vegas" book by Paul Lichter..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 am

I agree with many of you that with both FTD and Sony it has been a great year for Elvis fans. Even some books released outside of FTD have been impressive. It makes you grateful for what we have and at the same time look forward to what FTD has in 2013.

rlj

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 am

Matthew wrote:
r&b wrote:As I said, I got exactly what I wanted. If I wanted outtakes and a huge book,
and better sound,
r&b wrote:I would have bought the box.

The sound on the MRS is just fine with me. These are old radio recordings and acetates. How much better can they be on the Tupelo box set? Maybe MRS is even better?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 am

Best buy : A Boy From Tupelo. Hands Down! runner up : Elvis Files Vol 5
Worst Buy: A Triple Threat :smt019

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:35 am

r&b wrote:The sound on the MRS is just fine with me. These are old radio recordings and acetates. How much better can they be on the Tupelo box set? Maybe MRS is even better?

Sans additional noise reduction and strange filtering thus purer audio on Tupelo.

But if you're happy.