Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best and worst soundtrack albums

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 pm

When it comes to Elvis' movie soundtrack albums, I think King Creole is by far the best overall followed by Viva Las Vegas and Loving You. They were the most creative soundtracks out of all. After that, it all goes down hill from there. I find the other soundtrack albums to be watered down and more filled with cabaret theatrical song numbers than actual good material. Roustabout was a #1 album, but, outside of Little Egypt, I find it cheesy even for the times. Girl Happy was also a success, but it lacked good material that was radio-friendly or hit making.

I do realize that Blue Hawaii and GI Blues were major commercial success on the charts, but the songs overall albums are not the best work by Elvis. Outside of Blue Hawaii, Can't Help Falling In Love, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Blue Suede Shoes, Frankfurt Special, Pocketful Of Rainbows, and Doin' The Best I Can, the rest of the material was mediocre and forgettable. A far cry from his other studio work from the same period.

I think that when it comes to the worst soundtracks, it comes down to Frankie & Johnnie and Kissin Cousins as the bottom of the barrel with Clambake, Spinout, and Speedway not far behind. It doesn't get any worse than those 5.

Re: Best and worst soundtrack albums

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm

It depends if you are talking about the soundtrack songs or the albums. Clambake had a good batch of bonus songs, for example.

I agree about King Creole, and would name Harum Scarum LP as the worst - I have yet to get through it in one sitting.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:45 pm

I am not a fan of the soundtracks but it is impossible to name my favorites without mentioning some 45s. Most full albums I consider very poor.

Best:

1. King Creole
2. Jailhouse Rock
3. KId Galahad

Worst:

1. Paradise Hawaiian Style
2. Harum Scarum
3. Kissin' Cousins

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm

The best was King Creole by a wide margin. The worst? Anything after Blue Hawaii. Take your pick, its a matter of taste. Viva would have been a good one however.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 am

I don't find the Frankie & Johnny soundtrack to be as bad as it is usually made out to be. In fact, I enjoy it on the whole.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am

Pete Dube wrote:I don't find the Frankie & Johnny soundtrack to be as bad as it is usually made out to be. In fact, I enjoy it on the whole.

Me too.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 am

Frankie & Johnny, Clambake, & Kissin' Cousins I like.

The great thing about the soundtracks is even if you didn't like them they're over in around 20 minutes. It took awhile but they grew on me and now I find I enjoy most of the soundtracks, especially the ballads i.e. (Anyone, Tender Feeling, The Girl I Never Loved) - there's something I find very charming about them.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 am

While there is a song or two on each of the soundtrack albums which are "good," yet overall, for me, the Harum Scarum album is a challenge to sit and listen to.

rlj

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 am

Harum Scarum is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. The nice thing in this age of digital music and CD's is the skip button. Kissin' Cousins may be the worst of the whole lot but PHS and Speedway are close behind.

Girls Girls Girls finds him in very good voice singing a bunch of clunkers but there are a couple of nice songs to break up the monotony.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 am

Jailhouse and Creole are top notch. But i do like most of 60's soundtracks (YES). Only most of them contains some real bad songs. I mean PHS has Sand Castles which i really love on the same record we have House Of sand, horrible. Roustabout has some good stuff too but also the carnie sounded songs. Just movie sh*t. But than again the title track and wonderful world, big love big heartache are great. So i think that on most them there are real good songs and some bad movie fit inns.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 am

Top 3 soundtracks;

King Creole, Jailhouse Rock, Loving You.

Bottom 3 soundtracks (not including 'bonus tracks')

Paradise Hawaiian Style, Clambake, Harum Scarum.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 am

All this Harum Scarum bashing...

Make it stop! :cry:

Geoff

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 am

tupelo_boy wrote:All this Harum Scarum bashing...

Make it stop! :cry:

Geoff

Geoff I do like 'Shake That Tambourine' 'Hey Little Girl' and 'Wisdom Of The Ages', so it is not all bad :)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 am

It depends what you're talking about if you mean original soundtrack albums than yeah King Creole is probably the best. And Peter is right about bonus songs, they make a big difference. For instance I think they weigh Loving You down form greatness and elevate Clambake to decent status. In terms of albums compiled later Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas would be serious rivals to King Creole but that soundtrack was a little deeper even if the heights on those two albums are higher particularly the title songs.

I think VLV is the strongest 60s collection. Blue Hawaii because of its consistency of theme and performance and because there are a handful of standout performances is I think a legitimately good L.P. The number of inferior songs keeps it too Earthbound but it's a worthy recording. Fun in Acapulco is actually a very entertaining LP as well, and while the bonus songs don't fit the theme, they're quality. In terms of LPs, I might Spinout at #3. I'm very fond of the uptempo hits on here, which rock harder than anything Elvis did since 1960, but the three bonus songs are also superb. There's some dreck like "Beach Shack" and "Smorgasboard" and I'm not quite as fond "All That I Am" as some fans and critics are. Still, I think it's worthy record. Gi Blues is worth a listen for the sheer felicity of Elvis' vocals.

The worst I think is Paradise Hawaiian Style. This is one of the rare occasions when Elvis' vocals are not there, not even professional. And the material save "Sand Castles" is just awful, far below standards. I'm also not a fan of the proper soundtrack songs on Clambake. Even with the deficiencies of material, Elvis' vocals were usually there and here they are not. Girl Happy suffers many of the same problem exacerbated by RCA's speeding of some masters. If you watch the movie, the songs are painless enough but on LP almost unlistenable. The six songs on Easy Come, Easy Go are so disposable you forget them almost as soon as you've heard them.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 am

Paradise hawaiian style is the worst Elvis album ever.This Is My Heaven being the only song on it I can stand.Even the worst of the rest have two or three (at a push) not bad songs but Paradise...noooo.

norrie

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:43 am

Have to go with:
King Creole, Blue Hawaii and Roustabout

as my top 3... and for my least favorite:
Double Trouble, Frankie and Johnny and Speedway

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 am

As a child my favourite movie and soundtrack was "Roustabout", for some reason I loved every song,more so than some of the better quality soundtracks. Perhaps because of the carnival setting. To me every song was colourful,full of fun and life,and I gotta be honest...it's still a guilty pleasure of mine to this day. But as for EP's best movie soundtracks,I'd have to go along with King Creole, GI Blues,Blue Hawaii and VIva Las Vegas. As for the worst,I would say Clambake simply because of the abomination that is "Confidence".... :o

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am

As far as my top five favorite movie soundtracks they would be:

1) Loving You
2) King Creole
3) G.I. Blues
4) Jailhouse Rock
5) Follow That Dream

rlj

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:32 am

elvis-fan wrote:Have to go with:

Double Trouble,[color=#FF0000] Frankie and Johnny and Speedway
[/color]

I know many don't but I actually like the Frankie and Johnny songs.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Have to go with:

Double Trouble, Frankie and Johnny and Speedway
[/color]

I know many don't but I actually like the Frankie and Johnny songs.

I don't mind the title track...

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am

Best soundtrack album: King Creole
Worst soundtrack album: Girl Happy

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Best soundtrack album: King Creole
Worst soundtrack album: Girl Happy

I like both of those

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

For me;
Best "King Creole"
Worst "PHS"

There is NOTHING on PHS that floats my boat at all, yet on "Harum Holiday" we have the rockin' title track with Kenneth Buttrey's great drumwork, "Hey little girl" (again Kenneth Buttrey in top form), "So close yet so far" (should have been an A side single) "Wisdom of the ages" and I do like "Animal Instinct".
"Frankie and Johnny" is good apart from "Petunia", "Look out Broadway" and "Chesay". I really like the long movie version of the title song too. It's a pity that FTD never saw fit to release it with the extant studio recorded sections and pieced it together properly for the best sound quality.
"Double trouble" (IMO) contains a great mod-ish title track, a rockin' "Baby if you'll give me all of your love", a brilliant jazz number ("City by night") and a mod-ish "It won't be long" a very underrated song.
I also like the 'revivalist' feel to most of the "Easy come, easy go" soundtrack recordings.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Best:
'King Creole'; 'Loving You' and 'Jailhouse Rock'.

Worst:
'Paradise Hawaiian Style'; 'Harum Scarum' and 'Double Trouble'.

Brian

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:36 pm

As far as soundtracks released as albums:
Best overall: King Creole; Loving You
60's Best: G.I. Blues; Blue Hawaii; Spinout
Worst: Paradise Hawaiian Style; Harem Scarem; Clambake
Honorable Mention: Viva Las Vegas. If an album had been released back in '64 it would've been his best 60's soundtrack.