Off Topic Messages

Stan laurel

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:12 pm

In 1905, 15 year old Stan Laurel lived at 57 Buchanan Drive, Rutherglen, (Glasgow. Scotland). Here's how it looks today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Stan laurel

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 pm

nice house.........

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes don't know how much it would be worth in 1905 but its worth a fortune these days.i wonder if the owners know stan stayed there !

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

I've been to Stan's street in Ulverston, Cumbria and also visited the very fine museum there several years ago. I didn't know he lived in Scotland; I'm assuming this was before he lived in Ulverston?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Tony.. wrote:I've been to Stan's street in Ulverston, Cumbria and also visited the very fine museum there several years ago. I didn't know he lived in Scotland; I'm assuming this was before he lived in Ulverston?

8) i have never been but hopefully some day i might !!!

No stan was born in Ulverston i think he moved to glasgow when he was 15 his father was the manager of glasgow's metropole theatre and stan made his first professional stage performance at the panopticon theatre in glasgow before he later joined the karno's troupe.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for posting...been watching the essential laurel and hardy dvd set I got for my birthday..

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

joshferrell wrote:Thanks for posting...been watching the essential laurel and hardy dvd set I got for my birthday..

Your welcome,cool set !!!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Cool topic. I knew the family stayed in Glasgow. I've never seen his house before.

In 1947 Laurel is quoted as saying to the local newspaper, "We are enjoying our visit to Britain tremendously. I am particularly pleased to be in Glasgow. I remember that as a child I lived in Rutherglen and Queen's Park. In Glasgow I went to school in the kilt and learned the sword dance.".
His mother Margaret is buried in Glasgow.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 pm

daylon wrote:Cool topic. I knew the family stayed in Glasgow. I've never seen his house before.

In 1947 Laurel is quoted as saying to the local newspaper, "We are enjoying our visit to Britain tremendously. I am particularly pleased to be in Glasgow. I remember that as a child I lived in Rutherglen and Queen's Park. In Glasgow I went to school in the kilt and learned the sword dance.".
His mother Margaret is buried in Glasgow.

Thats right dylon his mother was buried in cathcart cemetery.stan always spoke fondly of scotland and made 2 movies that he wore a kilt !!!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Great info !

I have always been meaning to go into the panopticon but never had the time. The sad thing is that the building is probably not that well known even though it sits on a main street. It requires a lot of maintenance, one day they will get it fully restored..hopefully

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:08 pm

memphisto wrote:Great info !

I have always been meaning to go into the panopticon but never had the time. The sad thing is that the building is probably not that well known even though it sits on a main street. It requires a lot of maintenance, one day they will get it fully restored..hopefully

A wonderful building
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:11 pm

I agree It requires a lot of maintenance and its a shame there is no money to have it restored in all its glory.there should also be a stan laurel statue next to the panopticon as a tribute to his time in glasgow,but again its all down to money.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:12 pm

keninlincs wrote:

A wonderful building

It is ken right at the heart of glasgows famous trongate !!!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I saw it years and years ago
would like to re visit sometime

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 pm

keninlincs wrote:I saw it years and years ago
would like to re visit sometime

8) 8) 8)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Nice to see so many other Stan fans here.

phpBB [video]

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm

I'd love to visit sometime, Pat.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

javilu wrote:I'd love to visit sometime, Pat.

3 days of you is enough ! no more !!!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:12 pm

mjsantafe wrote:Thanks for sharing the photo.

Nice to see so many other Stan fans here.

phpBB [video]

Your welcome .there is a few laurel & hardy fans on the forum !!!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Definetely my faves. My two boys love them as well, aged 7 and 4.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 pm

rocknroller wrote:

I was just packing my bags for a surprise visit!

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm

rocknroller wrote:

I agree It requires a lot of maintenance and its a shame there is no money to have it restored in all its glory.there should also be a stan laurel statue next to the panopticon as a tribute to his time in glasgow,but again its all down to money.

The statue is a great idea...all it would take is a few gigs by some well known bands and to donate the money to get it renovated. Melt down two of the statues in George Square to make a L&H statue would be a good start, Robert Peel and William Gladstone statues I would gladly see the back of :).

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

memphisto wrote: Melt down two of the statues in George Square to make a L&H statue would be a good start, Robert Peel and William Gladstone statues I would gladly see the back of :).

:lol: :lol: :lol: i like the sound of that :smt023

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 pm

javilu wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

I was just packing my bags for a surprise visit!

Im out untill......................................................................

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Stan Laurel was a comic genius who brought -- and continues to bring -- great joy to this world.

God bless Stan Laurel.