Off Topic Messages

So, This Is Christmas, And What Have You Done?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:47 am

32 years ago tonight, a few hours ago, actually, Eastern Time, John Lennon was murdered in New York City.

Please remember.

candle_burning.jpg

phpBB [video]

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: So, This Is Christmas, And What Have You Done?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I remember hearing about it on the radio as I drove to work the next morning. I had to be in at 4:00AM. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Things just didn't seem right all day and I never considered myself a Beatles (or Lennon) fan.

Fan or not, it was a tragedy of historic proportions and a tremendous loss to the music world.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm

I actually heard it on Monday Night Football, where it was first announced. Had a very bad reaction. Put it that way. Just earlier that same night, they had lit the Great Tree in NYC. The world went from a warm to a cold place. And a world that made no sense. It was like nothing made sense anymore.

Now, we're so used to senseless violence. Nothing shocks us.

rjm

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 pm

I recall hearing the news on local radio [not far from where John was brought up] just before going to school.

Like it was yesterday, I vividly remember our teacher, Miss Brown, crying her eyes out as we got into class.

Sad, sad day.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't remember where I was or what I was doing when Lennon was killed.
Not a happy time in my life, I remember that. I guess I had other stuff on my mind.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm

I remember it but it was not that big a deal as i had other things on my mind being a 11 year old kid !!!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:18 am

It was my 16th birthday that day.spoiled my day somewhat

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 am

keninlincs wrote:It was my 16th birthday that day.spoiled my day somewhat

That's right. Tough day for a birthday with all that was going on, I guess. Hope it was happier this year! (BTW, I hope you saw my post in the "other" birthday thread for you! It sprang up on the 7th over here, and was a continuing thread.)

rjm

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am

rjm wrote:
keninlincs wrote:It was my 16th birthday that day.spoiled my day somewhat

That's right. Tough day for a birthday with all that was going on, I guess. Hope it was happier this year! (BTW, I hope you saw my post in the "other" birthday thread for you! It sprang up on the 7th over here, and was a continuing thread.)

rjm

Yes i saw the post,thank you

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I was in London with my parents for the day and saw it on the front of a newspaper. I was young, but understood that it was a big deal.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:28 pm

I was four years old when John was assassinated but I don't remember anything about it because of being so young and not knowing who Lennon was (or the Beatles, for that matter) and I guess I was still grieving about my father's death from that previous February.

Now, knowing who Lennon was and what part he played in music history, it makes me sad everytime December 8th rolls around.

(I hope that all made sense).