Off Topic Messages

Star Trek Into Darkness

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 am

Is anyone here excited about this new Star Trek movie coming out in may 2013?

I am, I thought the 2009 movie did not have a good story line, but it was OK! This one looks a bit more interesting I think but we have to wait and see,,,

Here is the first official trailer for the movie.

phpBB [video]

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:38 am

I really liked the first Star Trex movie and i had no problem with the storyline.

of course i will see the sequel at some point.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:03 am

I wouldn't say I'm "excited," but I enjoyed the first one and so will definitely check it out. I'm happy to wait until it's on DVD tho.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 am

I saw it as soon as available. There's quite a debate going on. Most original Trekkers are not entirely thrilled, but it is just a trailer. And it does have elements of TOS story elements. In fact, going back to the "second pilot." Which is interesting, but still, it looks so derivative of other current action-adventure fantasy flicks.

Star Trek is supposed to be different. Very different. I dunno. I can't get into the new ones, I guess. It's not like they created new characters for, say, the 25th century - a NEW generation, no. They replaced the original characters! It's hard to get past that, but I could, if it were really good enough - for me.

Nimoy was in the last one. I wonder if there will be anyone at all in this one. Ah, well.

rjm

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:56 am

rjm wrote:I saw it as soon as available. There's quite a debate going on. Most original Trekkers are not entirely thrilled, but it is just a trailer. And it does have elements of TOS story elements. In fact, going back to the "second pilot." Which is interesting, but still, it looks so derivative of other current action-adventure fantasy flicks.

Star Trek is supposed to be different. Very different. I dunno. I can't get into the new ones, I guess. It's not like they created new characters for, say, the 25th century - a NEW generation, no. They replaced the original characters! It's hard to get past that, but I could, if it were really good enough - for me.

Nimoy was in the last one. I wonder if there will be anyone at all in this one. Ah, well.

rjm

Yeah, Star Trek movie should be about exploring strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no one has gone before! :wink:

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:58 am

TJ wrote:I wouldn't say I'm "excited," but I enjoyed the first one and so will definitely check it out. I'm happy to wait until it's on DVD tho.
?

Don't you have a Blu-ray player?

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:25 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:
TJ wrote:I wouldn't say I'm "excited," but I enjoyed the first one and so will definitely check it out. I'm happy to wait until it's on DVD tho.
?

Don't you have a Blu-ray player?



Yup, so OK I'll wait for it to arrive on Blu-ray. :)

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm intigued, but I hope it has more of the "Trek" spirit...the last one was a glorified action piece. Nimoy brought much needed gravitas (and nostalgia) to it, and I hope he makes another small appearance.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:01 pm

bquick wrote:I'm intigued, but I hope it has more of the "Trek" spirit...the last one was a glorified action piece. Nimoy brought much needed gravitas (and nostalgia) to it, and I hope he makes another small appearance.


He's not going to be in it.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 am

stan from tintane wrote:You have to remember that due to the whole new time line created by the story in the last Trek movie that everything we ever watched in every tv episode or previous Trek movie is now going to be different. It hasn't happened yet and the original original series and time line doesn't even exist.


That does open the door for a new star trex series with the characters of Kirk, Spock and Mccoy.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:30 am

I thought the new movie was pretty decent when it came out. Looking forward to the sequel.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:54 am

stan from tintane wrote:You have to remember that due to the whole new time line created by the story in the last Trek movie that everything we ever watched in every tv episode or previous Trek movie is now going to be different. It hasn't happened yet and the original original series and time line doesn't even exist.

Maybe it created an alternate universe? I invested a lot of time enjoying TNG and I don't want to believe that great show never exists in the canon :)

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:59 am

stan from tintane wrote:You have to remember that due to the whole new time line created by the story in the last Trek movie that everything we ever watched in every tv episode or previous Trek movie is now going to be different. It hasn't happened yet and the original original series and time line doesn't even exist.


Nah!!! These "new" movies don't even exist!

The timeline IS the timeline! Man, no respect for 48 years of Star Trek! (The first pilot debuted in 1964.) I'm watching one now, TNG, which is on constant DVR. They're on every day. The timeline IS the timeline.

These action-adventure flicks are fantasy. Enjoy them, but don't confuse them with the "real thing"! There is a Star Trek Universe: Gene Roddenberry created it, and Rick Berman watched over it for a while. And others are at least tending to the legacy, for the time being.

rjm

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 am

Nothing beats "The Original Series" got them all on Bluray.
Although Zoe Saldana is Badass! :smt007

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:30 am

promiseland wrote:Nothing beats "The Original Series" got them all on Bluray.
Although Zoe Saldana is Badass! :smt007


That's the thing about Blu-Ray. I have ALREADY done another major replace, and now I have to do ANOTHER replace? I had all the films that I could find, on tape, then got the DVD's, almost all of 'em that were available, and then THEY were upgraded to "deluxe," and now I have to do it again?

As for the series(plural), with TOS, they released these "enhanced" versions that weren't Blu-Ray. So I have two versions of the TOS on DVD by now, and now it's on Blu-Ray - which I don't have, yet. And TNG is coming out season by season, on Blu-Ray; I just saw a theatrical presentation of a couple episodes and incredible bonus material. Of course, I want it: it's incredible what they're doing! (They have to recreate all the special effects, because the originals were downgraded in resolution, the FiLM part of it, and the special effects then layered onto that, and not with the sufficient resolution. So they have recreated ALL the effects. Just amazing. The crystalline entity is incredible!) But . . . sheesh, when does it stop?

It's like construction in New York City. It'll never be finished!

So, I feel like a TOS redshirt sometimes! ;)

rjm

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Getting into the TV prequel "Enterprise" i mean T'Pol, she is one hot Vulcan .........

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Cant wait!

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 pm

rjm wrote:I saw it as soon as available. There's quite a debate going on. Most original Trekkers are not entirely thrilled, but it is just a trailer. And it does have elements of TOS story elements. In fact, going back to the "second pilot." Which is interesting, but still, it looks so derivative of other current action-adventure fantasy flicks.

Star Trek is supposed to be different. Very different. I dunno. I can't get into the new ones, I guess. It's not like they created new characters for, say, the 25th century - a NEW generation, no. They replaced the original characters! It's hard to get past that, but I could, if it were really good enough - for me.

Nimoy was in the last one. I wonder if there will be anyone at all in this one. Ah, well.

rjm


I wouldnt say most original trekkers are not much thrilled by the trailer. Certainly there is a lot of debate and interest going on.

One could say its derivative, but even the original Star Trek was derivative from many elements, the Wagon Train, Lost in Space and many old B scifi movies.

And not all Star Trek has been the same, then original series mimicked the events of the 60s in a good few episodes, the Cold War, Civil Rights along with moral dilemmas and defending the earth etc but many episodes were light hearted or just plain darn strange. The Next Gen took a far more morality bound tone of a what if or a what would you choose, or was a decision correct or not along with elements of exploration. DS9 lacked many elements of that and decided to go for a long story arc and serious storylines with little exploration, while Voyager concentrated on technology,survival and another long story arc with few elements of the previous series beforehand. The movies are all different too. They have all been different in some way. The new movies are just a progression from that. We do live in the golden age of digital technology and Star Trek should rightly so be part of that. There is a lot of Star Trek in the Star Trek XI movie.

I blame Brannon and Braga and Paramount for their mishandling of the whole Star Trek series ever since Gene Roddenberry died, just look at seasons 5-7 of the Next Gen over the first 4 seasons. Voyager was a joke at times and DS9 didnt hit its main storyline til the 3rd series. It needed life injected back into it and JJ has done that.

I just read that one of the characters is Carol Marcus, which has hints to the Wrath of Khan. The main bad guy has been announced called John Harrison, but that is not the characters real name as most believe its a red herring..rumours are that its Khan but it could be Gary Mitchell (funnily enough the same number of characters in his name)...I hope for the latter, I dont really want Khan in a movie again!