Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis Monologue ?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:39 am

vbgt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
vbgt wrote:I absolutely hate those monologues. They're embarrassing,imo. He really sounds like an idiot. I've deleted them on any album I have that might be heard by non fans. Every non fan I know that's heard them thinks they're ridiculous, and I have to agree. I don't find them even mildly amusing.

What are your feelings on the summer 1974 stage monologues?

Desert Storm and the like? Those I just find sad.

I thought you would absolutely hate those monologues, and would find them embarrassing, because he really sounds like an idiot. Do you not delete them on any album you have that might be heard by non fans?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

I must say im a little surprised how much these divide the fans opinion, i do agree a little if u here one thats enough, but to delete em ? not sure , after all isnt this what Elvis is ?
About the 69 setlists, not surprised at all he covered his own stuff at first, he wanted no mistakes regarding the material, but should his monologues been more like his 68 sit down reflections ? calmer, more relaxed, did his 68 show even influence his banter with the Vegas crowds ?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 pm

dennyelvis wrote:I must say im a little surprised how much these divide the fans opinion, i do agree a little if u here one thats enough, but to delete em ? not sure , after all isnt this what Elvis is ?
About the 69 setlists, not surprised at all he covered his own stuff at first, he wanted no mistakes regarding the material, but should his monologues been more like his 68 sit down reflections ? calmer, more relaxed, did his 68 show even influence his banter with the Vegas crowds ?

Actually,again imo, the '68 stuff is no better,they just edited it down to make him sound clever and funny. Hearing the whole thing sounds almost as bad as '69,plus in '68 he had people feeding him lines,to get him talking. Speaking on stage just wasn't Elvis' forte,imo.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Somewhere, Elvis' greatness is weeping.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Matthew wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:I Can't Stop Loving You, Yesterday (the safest MOR Cover of them all!), Blue Suede Shoes, My Babe, Runaway, What'd I Say and others in the set list in 1969 are all covers.

Yes, I know - but as noted "the sets are full of 'Elvis' material and not overly reliant on safe cover versions of other artists signature hit songs (as good and enjoyable as some of them are)."

And arguably Blue Suede Shoes is as much, if not more associated with Elvis Presley, than its creator Carl Perkins. Elvis' 1969 sets are typically more "Elvis focused" than what would come later. As for the "you've heard one show you've heard them all" motif, the same is true for other engagements and tours, which were all formatted around set-list templates.

Elvis' set-list in 1969 is the best he ever gave.

Agree 100%.

The energy that leaps out of your speakers on every single August 1969 recording is unlike anything else Presley did after.

At least one member of this forum saw Elvis through the years 1969 to 1976, and emphatically stated that 1969 was THE ONE.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:18 am

The vitality, raw energy of 69 couldn't be surpassed......an unleashed tiger.
I think 70 proved to be a more 'polished' performance. I would have given my right arm to have seen him perform in either year.... 8) 8)

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 am

debtd1 wrote:The vitality, raw energy of 69 couldn't be surpassed......an unleashed tiger.
I think 70 proved to be a more 'polished' performance. I would have given my right arm to have seen him perform in either year.... 8) 8)

Dont like the monologues myself. He sounds very uncomfortable talking. If you see one of the sit down shows from the 68 TV special, he says they want me to talk, so Im talking. Didnt sound like he felt easy doing it and it comes across in the 69 monologues. Nervous energy but it made him sound corny and silly

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 am

Frankly, whenever Elvis opened his mouth to speak I'm embarrased. It isn't until around 1976 that his stage speak becomes tollerable, largely because he can't be understood - but that's fine by me, because he never sang better. I wish all his stupid dialogue would be edited out of every release. When I hear "good evening ladies and gentlemen" I just want to punch a wall.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:06 am

Why are you so embarassed? Do you think Elvis was dumb? Just look only in the video of1972 NY conference and comment after that.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Why are you so embarassed? Do you think Elvis was dumb? Just look only in the video of1972 NY conference and comment after that.

Matthew was being sarcastic.