Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Elvis' Crates --> His Vinyl Is No Mystery!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Another from the list, Pat Boone's chart-topping cover of an Ivory Joe Hunter classic:

560519_Dot 15472_Boone.JPG

phpBB [video]

Pat Boone, "I Almost Lost My Mind" (Dot 15472, May 12, 1956)
Billboard US Pop #1, July 28, 1956
The recording is a faithful cover of the 1950 R&B #1 by Hunter; are those the Jordanaires on backing vocals?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Almost_Lost_My_Mind
Allegedly, a 1960s home demo exists of Elvis giving this a try, would love to hear it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Bringing It All Back Home or Blonde On Blonde could be it too. All three of the 1965-66 albums are full of well known songs.

True, but the timing of Dylan's best known, greatest single topping the charts, along with all the covers and wanna-bes taking up slots all over the Top 40, in the summer of 1965 -- as may be clearly seen in my earlier uploads -- indicates that Highway 61 Revisited is the most likely choice for Marty's memory.

Well, Marty seems to remember quite specifically that "it was Dylan's first one with his great songs on it" which is Freewheelin'. But according to your vision he bought Dylan's sixth album....

Marty also remembers that he "bought it for him in the 60's at Martin's Music Store in Culver City, California near MGM studios. I would often go there to see what new records they had to buy for Elvis when we did movies at MGM." But according your vision Marty bought the record after Elvis filmed Paradise, Hawaiian Style which was not filmed in MGM studios and if I remember correctely neither was the next film.

In addition, the Beatles don't seem have anything to do with this. Elvis surely had heard about Dylan before he met the Fab - he was in the music business, wasn't he? Maybe he discussed Dylan's music with the Beatles or maybe not.

I'm sorry, but your guess just doesn't convince me at all. The answer my friend is blowing in the wind....
Last edited by Albert Goldman on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:From these lists, some Elvis influences may be traced.
One that immediately jumps out is this:
641114_ABC-Paramount 10602_Impressions.JPG

phpBB [video]

Impressions, "Amen" (ABC-Paramount ABC 10602, November 14, 1964)
Lead vocalist: Curtis Mayfield
Billboard US Pop #7, January 9, 1965, R&B #17 January 30, 1965

Taken from this huge hit Impressions album:
640801_ABC-Paramount 493_Impressions.JPG
Keep On Pushing (ABC-Paramount ABC 493, August 1, 1964)
Billboard US US Pop #15, December 26, 1964, R&B #4 January 30, 1965
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_on_Pushing
"Amen" was featured in the 1963 United Artist film, "Lilies of the Field"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilies_of_the_Field_(1963_film)

All those live Presley performances of "Amen" in the '70s, in a medley with Ray Charles' "I Got A Woman," come from this fabulous recording by the Impressions.

How cool. It almost makes me like Elvis' rendition. ;-)

Well, I always liked Elvis' rendition, no matter how much repeated reissues of live concerts has worn out the what he did.
But I agree this is nice to know that he was surley covering the Impressions in a nod to his gospel heritage.

phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 am

When putting together pieces of a puzzle such as this, you have to go with available evidence.

When I read Marty's quote - a man who was there and purchased the record, I looked to see what Dylan album was released in close proximity to an Elvis production at MGM. The timing with the release of "Freewheelin'" and filming of Viva Las Vegas fit like a glove.

Professional researchers do not allow personal opinions or an agenda to cloud their vision. It negates the veracity of their findings.

I stand behind my research findings as posted here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73783&start=25#p1109257

Oh, and if you're wondering, my comments such as "Elvis would have certainly seen" or "Surely Elvis read the review" as well as the "Elvis loved very, very much" lines are my tip of the hat to Dr. Carpenter and his cute sense of humor. He uses those phrases very very often with no basis in factual accuracy. :wink:

P.S. - My signature in that post is a nod to DJC as well, in case anyone is wondering. :D
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 am

Mike Eder wrote:It should read Dave not Dale Stinit. That record is the best Johnn Cash knock off I have heard and it was on Sun.

No, it actually should read Dane Stinit. But no doubt the guy LOVED Cash.

660500_Sun 402_Stinit.JPG

Here's the track, apparently produced by Sam Phillips, a song whose theme many here should take to heart:

phpBB [video]

Dane Stinit, "Don't Knock What You Don't Understand" (Sun 402, May 1966)
Dane issued two mid-sixties singles on Sun, then disappeared:
Sun 402 - Don't Knock What You Don't Understand / Always On The Go (May 1966)
Sun 405 - Sweet Country Girl / That Muddy Ole River (February 1967)

Read more:

Stinit, Dane (RCS Artist Discography)
http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/artist.php?key=stin3000
DANE STINIT
http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/dane_stinit.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:35 am

Julian Grant wrote:A terrific subject Doc. Thank you, fascinating thread. "John Lennon's Jukebox" from several years ago was a great subject for a documentary and I'd love to see similar done with EP's collection.

This is a clip from the Lennon documentary featuring Elvis' hometown Soulsville USA.

phpBB [video]

You are welcome. I agree with your documentary idea -- nice clip, too.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:40 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

phpBB [video]

All those live Presley performances of "Amen" in the '70s, in a medley with Ray Charles' "I Got A Woman," come from this fabulous recording by the Impressions.

Well, I always liked Elvis' rendition, no matter how much repeated reissues of live concerts has worn out the what he did.
But I agree this is nice to know that he was surely covering the Impressions in a nod to his gospel heritage.

Glad you enjoyed the Impressions' influential recording, it is a beauty.

You are the first to add a positive comment to the songs I've been digging out, researching and uploading.

Thanks.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

phpBB [video]

But I agree this is nice to know that he was surely covering the Impressions in a nod to his gospel heritage.

Glad you enjoyed the Impressions' influential recording, it is a beauty.

You are the first to add a positive comment to the songs I've been digging out, researching and uploading.

Thanks.

Of the songs you have posted thus far, you have uploaded nothing, as the songs were already on youtube. All you have done is linked to things already on the web.

Considering the vast majority of the sources you have quoted, your research regarding the songs you have linked to has consisted of typing a song title and artist into youtube, and a quick google search to find a relevant wikipedia article. What would you like? A medal?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 am

Here's another record from the Elvis collection, for all good members of FECC interested in the man and his music. Below find more first-hand research into the artist, record, and getting dates right, and including -- yet again -- an image upload of the original single label. ;-)

This magnificent country-soul ballad was released in June 1969 on Shelby Singleton's Nashville-based SSS International Records label, and made the charts shortly after.

690607_SSS International 770_Adams.JPG

phpBB [video]

Johnny Adams, "Reconsider Me" (SSS International 770, June 7, 1969)
Billboard US Pop #28 and R&B #8 on August 2, 1969
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Adams

Read more:
the "A" side: Johnny Adams - Reconsider Me (SSS International 770)
http://redkelly2.blogspot.com/2009/10/johnny-adams-reconsider-me-sss.html

Note: it appears Elvis may have picked up a 1973 Sun single reissue which coupled Johnny's biggest hit on SSS International with his previous one, "Release Me" (the EPE lists shows "Original Release Date: 1976"):

Billboard Aug 11 1973 p38.JPG
Billboard - August 11, 1973

Enjoy!

::rocks

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 am

As if I hadn't found enough factual data to believe Marty Lacker bought Elvis, in late August - early September 1965, the new Dylan album, Highway 61 Revisited, there even more.

It turns out Dylan was giving a one-off concert at the Hollywood Bowl less than a week after the Beatles visited Elvis at his home and played two concerts of their own at the Bowl. Six songs from the new Dylan LP were done that Friday night, September 3rd.

One might assume Elvis was curious ... something was happening here. ;-)

Hollywood Bowl
Los Angeles, California
3 September 1965

1. She Belongs To Me
2. To Ramona
3. Gates Of Eden
4. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
5. Desolation Row
6. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
7. Mr. Tambourine Man
8. Tombstone Blues
9. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
10. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
11. From A Buick 6
12. Maggie's Farm
13. It Ain't Me, Babe
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man
15. Like A Rolling Stone

1–7 Bob Dylan (vocal & acoustic guitar).
1–7, 9, 14 Bob Dylan (harmonica).
8–15 Bob Dylan (vocal & electric guitar), Robbie Robertson (guitar), Al Kooper (organ), Harvey Brooks (bass), Levon Helm (drums).

http://www.bjorner.com/DSN00785%20%2865%29.htm#DSN01135

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Most people would agree that the first Dylan album with great songs on it would be the freewheelin' album - the inclusion of Blowin in the Wind and Don't Think Twice also suggests it is this album, considering Elvis attempted both.

Actually, there are great songs on Bob's debut LP but, regardless, there is much to suggest you are mistaken.

Considering that Dylan exploded on the pop consciousness in 1965, and was likely a subject of discussion when Elvis invited the Beatles to his home on August 27, and the fact that in late August his amazing, six-minute "Like A Rolling Stone" was at #6 -- and rising -- on Billboard's national chart and at #1 on the magazine's Los Angeles Top 40 -- along with other Dylan songs or Dylan-influenced numbers on both of those charts -- I'd wager I am right. ;-)

Billboard Aug 28 1965 p6.jpg
Billboard - August 28, 1965
Top 100 national chart: Dylan at #6; Dylan covers at #15, #21, #47; Dylan-influenced at #1, #2, #12, #27, #52

Billboard Aug 28 1965 p9.jpg
Note Los Angeles Top 40 chart: Dylan at #1; Dylan covers at #16, #26; Dylan-influenced at #2, #5, #6, #8, #11

As I wrote, Elvis likely had Marty buy the Dylan album with "Like A Rolling Stone" on it: Highway 61 Revisited. He needed to find out what the hell was going on with this Dylan guy.

Thank you.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As if I hadn't found enough factual data to believe Marty Lacker bought Elvis, in late August - early September 1965, the new Dylan album, Highway 61 Revisited, there even more.

It turns out Dylan was giving a one-off concert at the Hollywood Bowl less than a week after the Beatles visited Elvis at his home and played two concerts of their own at the Bowl. Six songs from the new Dylan LP were done that Friday night, September 3rd.

Hollywood Bowl
Los Angeles, California
3 September 1965

1. She Belongs To Me
2. To Ramona
3. Gates Of Eden
5. Desolation Row
7. Mr. Tambourine Man
8. Tombstone Blues
11. From A Buick 6
12. Maggie's Farm
13. It Ain't Me, Babe
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man
15. Like A Rolling Stone

8–15 Bob Dylan (vocal & electric guitar), Robbie Robertson (guitar), Al Kooper (organ), Harvey Brooks (bass), Levon Helm (drums).

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Most people would agree that the first Dylan album with great songs on it would be the freewheelin' album - the inclusion of Blowin in the Wind and Don't Think Twice also suggests it is this album, considering Elvis attempted both.

Actually, there are great songs on Bob's debut LP but, regardless, there is much to suggest you are mistaken.

Considering that Dylan exploded on the pop consciousness in 1965, and was likely a subject of discussion when Elvis invited the Beatles to his home on August 27, and the fact that in late August his amazing, six-minute "Like A Rolling Stone" was at #6 -- and rising -- on Billboard's national chart and at #1 on the magazine's Los Angeles Top 40 -- along with other Dylan songs or Dylan-influenced numbers on both of those charts -- I'd wager I am right. ;-)

Top 100 national chart: Dylan at #6; Dylan covers at #15, #21, #47; Dylan-influenced at #1, #2, #12, #27, #52

Note Los Angeles Top 40 chart: Dylan at #1; Dylan covers at #16, #26; Dylan-influenced at #2, #5, #6, #8, #11

As I wrote, Elvis likely had Marty buy the Dylan album with "Like A Rolling Stone" on it: Highway 61 Revisited. He needed to find out what the hell was going on with this Dylan guy.

Thank you.

I would have thought Elvis was curious about Bob Dylan long before 1965. We know for a fact that he liked the work of Peter, Paul and Mary and their recording of Blowing In The Wind and Don't Think Twice It's Alright is on their 1963 album "In The Wind", with their recording of Blowing In The Wind highly acclaimed and winning a Grammy. The song was everywhere during 1963, and Dylan was being championed by former Sun artist Johnny Cash during this period - another reason why Elvis might check out Dylan.

Do you really think he would wait two years to buy an album and see what all the fuss was about?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As if I hadn't found enough factual data to believe Marty Lacker bought Elvis, in late August - early September 1965, the new Dylan album, Highway 61 Revisited, there even more.

Hollywood Bowl
Los Angeles, California
3 September 1965

1. She Belongs To Me
2. To Ramona
3. Gates Of Eden
5. Desolation Row
7. Mr. Tambourine Man
8. Tombstone Blues
11. From A Buick 6
12. Maggie's Farm
13. It Ain't Me, Babe
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man
15. Like A Rolling Stone

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you.

I would have thought Elvis was curious about Bob Dylan long before 1965. We know for a fact that he liked the work of Peter, Paul and Mary and their recording of Blowing In The Wind and Don't Think Twice It's Alright is on their 1963 album "In The Wind", with their recording of Blowing In The Wind highly acclaimed and winning a Grammy. The song was everywhere during 1963, and Dylan was being championed by former Sun artist Johnny Cash during this period - another reason why Elvis might check out Dylan.

Do you really think he would wait two years to buy an album and see what all the fuss was about?

When Marty Lacker would tell the whole story on the AEK lounge in the proper context he talked as if Dylan was a new artist at the time.

He talked about going and buying the album and then playing it around the house.

I seem to remember him recalling that Jerry Schilling and a couple of the other Memphis mafia thought Dylan wasn't going to be a big star because they didn't think much of his singing.

Marty replied he thought Bob Dylan just might become a big star because he was so unique and was good at phrasing the words.

The way he talked it was their first exposure to Bob Dylan.

In 1965 Bob Dylan was a well known singer.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Hollywood Bowl
Los Angeles, California
3 September 1965

1. She Belongs To Me
2. To Ramona
3. Gates Of Eden
5. Desolation Row
7. Mr. Tambourine Man
8. Tombstone Blues
11. From A Buick 6
12. Maggie's Farm
13. It Ain't Me, Babe
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man
15. Like A Rolling Stone

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you.

Exactly. Mr. Jones hasn't offer any data yet that would proof that Elvis heard about Dylan as late as in 1965. I still find these "proofs" very, very unconvincing. It is just a wild guess.
Last edited by Albert Goldman on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:11 am

brian wrote:In 1965 Bob Dylan was a well known singer.

He sure was, especially when his incendiary single, "Like A Rolling Stone" was issued that July, and shocked the record world. Nothing he had done before had even come close.

The track has been described as revolutionary in its combination of different musical elements, the youthful, cynical sound of Dylan's voice, and the directness of the question in the chorus: "How does it feel?". "Like a Rolling Stone" transformed Dylan's career and is today considered one of the most influential compositions in post-war popular music and has since its release been both a music industry and popular culture milestone which elevated Dylan's image to iconic.

Like a Rolling Stone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Rolling_Stone

Of course, perhaps Elvis' ear was bent earlier by Dylan's first striking single release in 1965, "Subterranean Homesick Blues," whose clever, catchy wordplay was clearly based on Chuck Berry's earlier "Too Much Monkey Business," a song Presley loved.

The single was on radio in March, the album in stores in mid-April, right around the time Elvis was finishing "Harum Scarum" for Four-Leaf Productions but filmed ... in Culver City on the MGM Studios lot. If we take Marty Lacker at his strictest word, perhaps it was this Dylan album he bought for his friend:

650417_Columbia, CL 2328-Dylan.JPG
Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home (Columbia, CL 2328, April 17, 1965)
Billboard US Pop #6, October 9, 1965
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_It_All_Back_Home

Side 1
1. "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
2. "She Belongs to Me"
3. "Maggie's Farm"
4. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit"
5. "Outlaw Blues"
6. "On the Road Again"
7. "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream"
Side 2
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man"
2. "Gates of Eden"
3. "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"
4. "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"

There are a few hits on this one, too. ;-)

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 am

This was MOST enlightening (save for the fisticuffs and needling, which in this context, because I am VERY interested, is a bit distracting). I kinda knew it in my gut. This was roots music! Doesn't matter if it was '62 or '64/'65, really, I think. People were discovering him by degrees, early on, in any event. We can't know which one was purchased, but if the other guys didn't like the singing, especially Jerry, the group's resident "hipster," well, Elvis would go along for the ride.

He HAD to hear "Like A Rolling Stone" on the radio: it was a big hit, and Elvis's own big hit (released a bit late) "Crying In The Chapel" was around the charts at the same time. (I don't know the exact confluence off the top of my head, or at least I know I previously remembered it incorrectly.) But yeah, he knew that record. And it's a disturbing record, for Elvis, anyway. Someone was way up on a high perch, a PRINCESS, and she came tumbling down, all the way to "the street," and she was "gonna have to get USED TO IT!" If I was Elvis, in that dreary year of wretched films, and virtually no music of consequence, I would be freaked out! Like . . . I would take it personally! (Actually, many think it IS about a real person, but definitely not Elvis.)

But to have the radio on, and some guy is taunting someone else: "how does feeeeel??? How does it FEEEEEL??? To be on your own, with no direction home, like a COMPLETE UNKNOWN, like a rolling stone?!!" At that point, Elvis knew exactly how that felt. And I bet he maybe murmured back "aw, shut up!"

We don't know if he owned it, but we know he had to have heard it, without any question. So, imagine you're Elvis, on the way to a day at the film set, and dig:

phpBB [video]

Was it Dylan's greatest work, as opposed to his greatest hit? Well, I rather love "Hard Rain." It's not easy . . . "Chimes Of Freedom," especially the live from Newport version, is probably the one for me, above all others during that mid-sixties time. "Restless Farewell" is another that is irreducible and irreplaceable. He sang it to Frank Sinatra at his end-of-life tribute concert, and Frank was so in shock, because it sounded like it was about HIM! (Dylan clearly enunciated only the lyrics that MOST related to Frank -- incredible performance.)

I hope Elvis heard some of this. But on the other hand, it was more evidence that he was in hibernation. In fact, at the Big Meeting with the Lads, they actually talked about Elvis's music! Which could not have been pleasant, and well, it wasn't pleasant. Others recalled it, and Lennon not so much. But he did ask him, and Elvis gave him a "cheeky" answer, you might say. I thought Elvis had the absolute perfect song "Mohair Sam" on during the meeting, due to the lyrics alone, and the coolness factor. (Someone had a video with the song, and both Elvis and the Beatles in the video, but I can no longer find it! Bummer. That was good.)

I think Elvis, coming from Sun records, and hearing so much blues, and a very wide of country and mountain music, would have heard even stranger voices, much stranger voices than Dylan's! (Hope he eventually snuck a listen to the oddball debut, with the Howlin' Wolf-style vocals on all those rootsy things, especially his "Highway 51 Blues," which used an Everly Bros. chord progression!)

Just nice to hear, is all. Clearly, with his movement during the sixties, many of his recordings didn't make it through all the moves. I don't think he was that kind of "collector." Records were his business; I don't imagine he kept track of it all. And he loved to give gifts.

Lamar, btw, was given to Dylan, loaned from Hill & Range, as a gift, when Bob and friends were first in Nashville. Now that's funny!

rjm (Anyone hear that '70 rehearsal of "I Got A Woman" where it's Elvis-sings-Dylan-sings-Ray Charles? It's really funny, and a great parody of the "Sad-Eyed Lady" stereotypical Dylan voice. And Elvis nailed it!)

My record for edits? Maybe not. :oops:
Last edited by rjm on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 am, edited 9 times in total.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:42 am

Time to move on...
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:09 am

x
Last edited by rjm on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 am

Look what I found in the list! Cliff Gleaves. "Long Black Hearse"! :o

phpBB [video]

Anyone know any details? It says "1960." That's all.

rjm

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Considering the way Elvis felt about singing, it's entirely possible that he'd heard about Dylan but didn't consume his work unaltered until 1965 when Dylan became a hit artist and he became a must listen.

On the Beatles, I think "love" is kind of over the top. He may have respected them and admired some or even a great deal of their work, but we don't have any personal testimony like we have for Chuck Berry, or Clyde McPhatter or Crudup, or Jackie Wilson. He really loved those artists.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:17 am

rjm wrote:This was MOST enlightening (save for the fisticuffs and needling, which in this context, because I am VERY interested, is a bit distracting). I kinda knew it in my gut. This was roots music! Doesn't matter if it was '62 or '64/'65, really, I think. People were discovering him by degrees, early on, in any event. We can't know which one was purchased, but if the other guys didn't like the singing, especially Jerry, the group's resident "hipster," well, Elvis would go along for the ride.

He HAD to hear "Like A Rolling Stone" on the radio: it was a big hit, and Elvis's own big hit (released a bit late) "Crying In The Chapel" was around the charts at the same time. (I don't know the exact confluence off the top of my head, or at least I know I previously remembered it incorrectly.) But yeah, he knew that record. And it's a disturbing record, for Elvis, anyway. Someone was way up on a high perch, a PRINCESS, and she came tumbling down, all the way to "the street," and she was "gonna have to get USED TO IT!" If I was Elvis, in that dreary year of wretched films, and virtually no music of consequence, I would be freaked out! Like . . . I would take it personally! (Actually, many think it IS about a real person, but definitely not Elvis.)

But to have the radio on, and some guy is taunting someone else: "how does feeeeel??? How does it FEEEEEL??? To be on your own, with no direction home, like a COMPLETE UNKNOWN, like a rolling stone?!!" At that point, Elvis knew exactly how that felt. And I bet he maybe murmured back "aw, shut up!"

We don't know if he owned it, but we know he had to have heard it, without any question. So, imagine you're Elvis, on the way to a day at the film set, and dig:

phpBB [video]

Was it Dylan's greatest work, as opposed to his greatest hit? Well, I rather love "Hard Rain." It's not easy . . . "Chimes Of Freedom," especially the live from Newport version, is probably the one for me, above all others during that mid-sixties time. "Restless Farewell" is another that is irreducible and irreplaceable. He sang it to Frank Sinatra at his end-of-life tribute concert, and Frank was so in shock, because it sounded like it was about HIM! (Dylan clearly enunciated only the lyrics that MOST related to Frank -- incredible performance.)

I hope Elvis heard some of this. But on the other hand, it was more evidence that he was in hibernation. In fact, at the Big Meeting with the Lads, they actually talked about Elvis's music! Which could not have been pleasant, and well, it wasn't pleasant. Others recalled it, and Lennon not so much. But he did ask him, and Elvis gave him a "cheeky" answer, you might say. I thought Elvis had the absolute perfect song "Mohair Sam" on during the meeting, due to the lyrics alone, and the coolness factor. (Someone had a video with the song, and both Elvis and the Beatles in the video, but I can no longer find it! Bummer. That was good.)

I think Elvis, coming from Sun records, and hearing so much blues, and a very wide of country and mountain music, would have heard even stranger voices, much stranger voices than Dylan's! (Hope he eventually snuck a listen to the oddball debut, with the Howlin' Wolf-style vocals on all those rootsy things, especially his "Highway 51 Blues," which used an Everly Bros. chord progression!)

Just nice to hear, is all. Clearly, with his movement during the sixties, many of his recordings didn't make it through all the moves. I don't think he was that kind of "collector." Records were his business; I don't imagine he kept track of it all. And he loved to give gifts.

Lamar, btw, was given to Dylan, loaned from Hill & Range, as a gift, when Bob and friends were first in Nashville. Now that's funny!

rjm (Anyone hear that '70 rehearsal of "I Got A Woman" where it's Elvis-sings-Dylan-sings-Ray Charles? It's really funny, and a great parody of the "Sad-Eyed Lady" stereotypical Dylan voice. And Elvis nailed it!)

My record for edits? Maybe not. :oops:

Nice post. Dylan is but one artist on a very long list, and it's been cool to pull out some of the artist and songs that were revelatory or surprising. I wish more would comment on the ones that I researched, like that 1962 Dr. Feelgood single!

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:28 am

rjm wrote:Anyone know any details? It says "1960." That's all.

Neat one -- Gleaves being one of Elvis' crazy pals since 1957. Details? If I may ...

600705_Liberty 55263 promo_Gleaves.JPG

phpBB [video]

Cliff Gleaves, "Long Black Hearse" (Liberty 55263, July 5, 1960)
His debut single, a Billboard spotlight pick the same week as "It's Now or Never" (see below)

Billboard Jul 11 1960 p45.JPG
Billboard - July 11, 1960
Buddies Presley and Gleaves BOTH make the "Spotlight Winners" review! Only one of therm had a hit, though...

An interesting side-note: looking at the Billboard page -- "A Mess O' Blues" was reviewed as the A-side of Elvis' RCA single! If you look at the original single labels, you will see RCA indeed marked it that way. They clearly expected the uptempo, Pomus and Shuman number to lead the way. It turned out a lot differently!

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:<snip of my long, much fussed-over Elvis-trapped-in-vehicle-with-LikeARollingStone post>

Nice post. Dylan is but one artist on a very long list, and it's been cool to pull out some of the artist and songs that were revelatory or surprising. I wish more would comment on the ones that I researched, like that 1962 Dr. Feelgood single!

Thanks about the post. (Dylan may have been "but one," but the song is piercing! Not just the "how does it feeeeeeeeel?" taunt, and what-all else I mentioned, but the protagonist who fell once rode a "chrome horse" (motorcycle) with a "diplomat" who "took from you everything he could STEALLLLLL!!!!" And a "Mystery Tramp" who is really the devil, and the protagonist "stare(s) into the vacuum of his eyes," and, to the Mystery Tramp "say: do you want to make a DEALLLLLL???????" Oh, Lordy!)

As for the group called "Dr. Feelgood" and that rather amazing and prescient record . . .

Well, he didn't cover that one, Boots Randolph or no Boots Randolph! He did keep it around, which is intriguing. Wonder when he gave it its last spin? (I guess it wasn't very breakable, and vinyl is toxic when burned, and it wouldn't make a good gift, so he kept it. :lol: )

rjm
P.S. -- "Napolean In Rags." Elvis had a very short, very dependent person around 'till the very end. "Go to him now, he calls ya, ya can't refuse, you're invisible, you got no secrets to CONCEALLLLLLLL!!!!!!" That was for a random '77 listen in a car. ;) )

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Did Presley continuing purchasing records up until 1977? If not, is there a year he quit buying (or having someone elvis buy for him)? What are the most recently published recordings in his collection? For example, the Tom Jones in Vegas album is circa 1969.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Did Presley continuing purchasing records up until 1977? If not, is there a year he quit buying (or having someone elvis buy for him)? What are the most recently published recordings in his collection? For example, the Tom Jones in Vegas album is circa 1969.

Good question, don't know the answer. The record found on his turntable in August 1977 was a promo of the latest Stamps LP. That was probably given to him by J.D. or Donnie.

I'm still dizzy from watching Darlene Love in that blonde wig, belting out "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' on that "Playboy After Dark" TV appearance in December 1969. Wow-wee!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's another record from the Elvis collection, for all good members of FECC interested in the man and his music. Below find more first-hand research into the artist, record, and getting dates right, and including -- yet again -- an image upload of the original single label. ;-)

This magnificent country-soul ballad was released in June 1969 on Shelby Singleton's Nashville-based SSS International Records label, and made the charts shortly after.

690607_SSS International 770_Adams.JPG

phpBB [video]

Johnny Adams, "Reconsider Me" (SSS International 770, June 7, 1969)
Billboard US Pop #28 and R&B #8 on August 2, 1969
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Adams

Read more:
the "A" side: Johnny Adams - Reconsider Me (SSS International 770)
http://redkelly2.blogspot.com/2009/10/johnny-adams-reconsider-me-sss.html

Note: it appears Elvis may have picked up a 1973 Sun single reissue which coupled Johnny's biggest hit on SSS International with his previous one, "Release Me" (the EPE lists shows "Original Release Date: 1976"):

Billboard Aug 11 1973 p38.JPG
Billboard - August 11, 1973

Enjoy!

::rocks

Thanks for posting the Johnny Adams track - that's a fine performance. I love discovering songs that most radio stations don't play or don't know about. That was a great listen.