Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

King Creole Outtakes.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:32 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Recently I have been searching some information on the recording sessions that were held for King Creole my favourite Elvis movie :smt007.

As much as I love the book from FTD King Creole-The Music, I couldn´t understand why no more alternate takes were included on the cd. Yes I know, it seems like the recording session is missing but there were some tracks that were not included in the book when in the past they were included in other RCA/BMG releases :roll:. The track list includes a total of 19 songs of which 8 are alternate takes, different or unreleased versions. The sound on this cd is fantastic the same as the one included in the massive SONY boxset Elvis Presley-The Complete Masters released a couple of years ago 8).

King Creole-The Music picture cd.

In 1990 a fantastic cd came out under RCA/BMG label called Essential Elvis Vol 3-Hits Like Never Before, part of the amazing series Essential Elvis. They were a great revelation for us Elvis fans during late 80´s and 90´s under supervision of our great Mr. Ernst Jorgensen and this would lead later to the creation of the fantastic collectors label Follow That Dream.
On this cd we have 24 tracks of which 9 tracks are from the movie King Creole, all of them are different versions or alternate takes, some were lifted from acetates. Of these 9 unreleased takes 2 are not included on the cd included in the book. The songs are: Crawfish Track F-Take 7 "Unreleased Full Lenght Version Featuring Female Vocal By Kitty White"and King Creole Track R-Take 8 "Unreleased main Title Instrumental Version". Why were these not included on the cd King Creole-The Music? :roll:.

Then in 1997 a cd called King Creole-Soundtrack came out under RCA/BMG label, it included a total of 18 tracks of which 7 were alternate masters. These 7 alternate masters were included originally on the cd called Essential Elvis Vol 3 mentioned above. Again the 2 unreleased takes described before were not included. Why? :?.

And last but not least we have an obscure cd release called The King Creole Outtakes :shock:. It includes 38 different outtakes from the recording sessions for the movie King Creole, many taken from acetates so don´t expect great sound quality. Many songs sound weird, they have included studio banters but I am not sure if these have been doctored :?.

After given all these info, I positively think that Ernst Jorgensen has not given yet his final word on the King Creole recording session. There are rumours that Binaural recordings exist of the masters and that many acetates exist and with today technology they could clean them and release a 7" cd version of King Creole on the FTD collectors label 8). Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: King Creole Outtakes.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 am

The plan for the FTD disc was always just the masters and outtakes as recently revamped by the company.

The other two CDs are from 1990 and 1997, and were done using different engineers, processes and materials.

The bootleg CD from 2008 is filled with fake outtakes, and should not be regarded:
http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.com/cds/studio/king.php
http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/lofiversion/index.php/t13326.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44110#p615380

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:51 am

Hi Doc!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:The plan for the FTD disc was always just the masters and outtakes as recently revamped by the company.

The other two CDs are from 1990 and 1997, and were done using different engineers, processes and materials.

The bootleg CD from 2008 is filled with fake outtakes, and should not be regarded:
http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.com/cds/studio/king.php
http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/lofiversion/index.php/t13326.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44110#p615380

Thank you for answering, but don´t you think that those 2 songs left out are worth to have been included?. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:08 am

If I were to take an educated guess, I would have to say the reason they were not included on the FTD book / CD combo would be one of two reasons:

1. RCA does not have permission from Kitty White's estate to put out the duet of "Crawfish." I do believe that one of the reasons why the 60's box set is not available on iTunes is because of the Frank Sinatra duet. It's likely the same reason why "It's Nice To Go Travelin'" from the 1960 television special has never been released on audio officially.

2. RCA does not have permission to put out the instrumental only of "King Creole" as it does not feature Elvis' voice and was commissioned by Paramount, not RCA.

You may hear more about some of the missing King Creole session tapes in the near future...

Daryl

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:20 am

Nice thread, Mike.

I don't have the 1997 RCA/BMG edition; but could you check to see if there is any mention of this CD being "remixed and remastered from the original three-track master tapes" as per the Album Notes that appear on the "Detailed item information" page on ebay.

Many thanks in advance.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:08 pm

The "King Creole-The Music" FTD 93 CD has a running time of 37:04 which means the disc is only filled to half capacity, so I can't help but to agree with you Mike.

Those two could have easily found their way to the tracklisting.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:14 pm

I too think we'll hear more about the "King Creole" sessions in the future.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:28 pm

I would like to see KING CREOLE as a FTD Classic series 7" CD !!

8)

:D

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Andy-M wrote:I would like to see KING CREOLE as a FTD Classic series 7" CD !!

8)

:D

I'd gladly swap all out-takes of "Queenie Wahine's Papaya" just to hear one alternate take of "Hard headed woman". Recorded in 10 takes, this must have taken some working on to get to the pure perfection we hear it in in it's master take version. This is one of the best recordings in the history of recorded sound.