Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Monologue ?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Wondered what your thoughts were on those 69 Monologues , i must admit some of the early ones are quite funny, "bunch o squirrels" "funky angels" etc, and his thoughts on the way he was treated is quite a revelation. Would u still listen to em or skip past em now ? if the audio is top notch i tend to still listen as they still make me smile, now and again ..........

Re: Elvis Monologue ?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:49 pm

When heard for the first time (on "Having fun with Elvis on stage") in the mid 70's, I enjoyed the monologue, but now it has become a little irksome as we now have around 5 or 6 very similar 'life stories' on CD. It seems this was pre-rehearsed and not as spontanious as we may have originally thought.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm

When I first heard them I was really excited. Over the years the level of excitment has diminished a bit since you know what he is going to say. Some of the comments still make me laugh, though. I don't skip over them I will listen to them along with the concert. My favorite, as I suppose it is for many, is the monologue when Elvis plays with the name "Memphis." I'm not sure which night that one is from. The one where he talks about being asked if he is Elvis and then gets hit and says, "Memphis." But many of his comments still make me laugh.

rlj

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Wondered what your thoughts were on those 69 Monologues , i must admit some of the early ones are quite funny, "bunch o squirrels" "funky angels" etc, and his thoughts on the way he was treated is quite a revelation. Would u still listen to em or skip past em now ? if the audio is top notch i tend to still listen as they still make me smile, now and again ..........

I never skip those "Life Story" monologues; they are a revelation, the closest to autobiography we will ever get. From his early records and the misconception that he is a black singer, his movements on stage and early TV appearances, through the death of his mom, the army years and Hollywood, it's the real deal, straight from the source. It's not rehearsed, it's matter of fact.

Some ridicule his stream-of-conscious tales, given from the stage of the International Hotel in the summer of 1969, but there is a lot of truth in his somewhat risqué, often silly memories, especially about 1958. The pain, and fear, is plainly evident in his words.

Then I got drafted, and shafted, and everything else, man. So overnight it was all gone, it was like it never happened, it was like a dream, you know. I'd, I'd made four movies and so forth, but it was all gone.

- Elvis Presley, Tuesday, August 26, 1969 MS, International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 pm

After one listen they are interesting but then.... I found his on stage humor in 1969 annoying. too much squirrel talk and on and on. The energy from the shows is great but the setlists are so so and the talking/jokes are annoying at times.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:30 pm

DEH wrote:After one listen they are interesting but then.... I found his on stage humor in 1969 annoying. too much squirrel talk and on and on. The energy from the shows is great but the setlists are so so and the talking/jokes are annoying at times.

Wow. :shock:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 am

It's true. there is too much talking. too much joking. You could get drunk in a drinking game if Squirrel was the magic word!.

And the setlist could have been better. better setlists in February and August 70.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:15 am

One has to remember these shows and the comments in them were not intended for repeated listening. In fact they may have never seen the light of day at all if it weren't for the insatiable appetite by fans to hear and see every minute of anything the man did.

These shows were intended for entertainment of one audience on one spectacular night of entertainment.

Simple solution is to listen to them in the light intended and be glad we have them to hear.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 am

DEH wrote:It's true. there is too much talking. too much joking. You could get drunk in a drinking game if Squirrel was the magic word!.

And the setlist could have been better. better setlists in February and August 70.

Double wow. :shock:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 am

I could quite happily listen to an hour of Elvis talking about his life and career with the good humour and candour he displayed in August 1969.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:It's true. there is too much talking. too much joking. You could get drunk in a drinking game if Squirrel was the magic word!.

Double wow. :shock:

Triple wow! :shock:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:04 am

I have some Elvis Monologues, but I cannot hear what it is saying because I'm deaf. I have songs that are printed out so I know the words to the songs...but wish I can find someone that writes them out or are there any pages that I can read. :cry:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 am

Not sure. Can they be great and terrible at the same time?
If we didn't have them would we desire them as much as we
do the supposedly non-existent 1969 press conference tapes?

Listening to them now they are embarrassing. Almost cringeworthy.
Though Greybeard and and the Doc are right in their assessment
also.

One thing for sure the audience sure was quiet. Were they spellbound
or just bored?

When I was a child and looking at my Elvis Shop catalog one of the albums
on my list was The Monologue L.P.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:24 am

Elvis' set-list in 1969 is the best he ever gave upon his return to live performing. Why? Outside of the dynamic performances the sets are full of 'Elvis' material and not overly reliant on safe cover versions of other artists signature hit songs (as good and enjoyable as some of them are).

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 am

Another "wow."

Echoing, and expanding upon George, I could spend a number of hours listening to his "raps" (sixties style), and I HAVE! There aren't too many chances to hear him candidly reflect, with NOTHING off-limits. The music drives his words, and his words kick the music in the butt, too. Love 'em!

In '69, he wasn't yet into going "I'm just an entertainer, I'd just prefer to keep my personal views to myself." He felt like everyone, every night, was entitled to his "personal views" in 1969, and for that, we must be very grateful! It really wouldn't happen again. The candor would dip and dip, until there was no more candor. (Unless you consider a maniac raging about cutting out people's tongues and breaking their {expletives} neck, "candor." In '69, he said of himself: "stone cold freak." In '74, he roared at the "freaks who carry your luggage." I'll take '69 any old time!)

And, also, knowing now that they were still going after the "squirrel" - what with the whole "memo" thing, trying to tone him down, when he's talking ABOUT them trying to tone him down, well, it's great!

Look, "squirrel" was how he saw himself, I guess, or actually, saw others seeing him. It's in the "Tupelo Mississippi Flash," and he ran with it, because I guess it hit home. (Also in that talking blues is "kill the boy." Which fits into his autobio on stage.)

Oh, yeah, and the set list was great! It had variety, and gave most everything he did, everything he had. Yeah, after a while, he got a little comfortable, but basically, terrific!

rjm

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Greybeard wrote:One has to remember these shows and the comments in them were not intended for repeated listening. In fact they may have never seen the light of day at all if it weren't for the insatiable appetite by fans to hear and see every minute of anything the man did.

These shows were intended for entertainment of one audience on one spectacular night of entertainment.

Simple solution is to listen to them in the light intended and be glad we have them to hear.

The same could be said for February 1970 and August 70 but there is nothing that annoying in those shows as there is in these.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 am

Greybeard wrote:One has to remember these shows and the comments in them were not intended for repeated listening. In fact they may have never seen the light of day at all if it weren't for the insatiable appetite by fans to hear and see every minute of anything the man did.

absolutely.....

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 am

Elvis' set-list in 1969 is the best he ever gave upon his return to live performing. Why? Outside of the dynamic performances the sets are full of 'Elvis' material and not overly reliant on safe cover versions of other artists signature hit songs (as good and enjoyable as some of them are).

I Can't Stop Loving You, Yesterday (the safest MOR Cover of them all!), Blue Suede Shoes, My Babe, Runaway, What'd I Say and others in the set list in 1969 are all covers.

I agree that if you've heard one or two 69 shows, entertaining though they are, you've heard them all - they do all sound very "samey". Yes, Elvis is rocking, but too often, there's a manic quality to some of the songs that makes them sound almost unrehearsed. If I never hear Elvis sing one verse, then shout My Babe, My Bade repeatedly, it'll be too soon.

I believe Elvis was far better in 1970, certainly in February. More professional, more assured, and where you see safe covers, I see dynamic re-workings of music Elvis cared about, something he did right from the start.

What I will agree with is every word the Doc says about the monolgues - they are captivating in their honesty, and good humour. Laughing through the obvious resentment of Steve Allen, talking about beind drafted, shafted etc. It's absolutely fascingating to hear him being so open and honest after years of every word being guarded.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 am

I absolutely hate those monologues. They're embarrassing,imo. He really sounds like an idiot. I've deleted them on any album I have that might be heard by non fans. Every non fan I know that's heard them thinks they're ridiculous, and I have to agree. I don't find them even mildly amusing.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 am

vbgt wrote:I absolutely hate those monologues. They're embarrassing,imo. He really sounds like an idiot. I've deleted them on any album I have that might be heard by non fans. Every non fan I know that's heard them thinks they're ridiculous, and I have to agree. I don't find them even mildly amusing.

What are your feelings on the summer 1974 stage monologues?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:09 am

vbgt wrote:I absolutely hate those monologues. They're embarrassing,imo. He really sounds like an idiot. I've deleted them on any album I have that might be heard by non fans. Every non fan I know that's heard them thinks they're ridiculous, and I have to agree. I don't find them even mildly amusing.

I agree. Somebody ask Ernst ,for the next 1969 Vegas ftd, to edit Elvis boring one-liners and jokes in both the life story monologues and in-between songs. They're as boring as sh*t.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 am

DEH wrote:After one listen they are interesting but then.... I found his on stage humor in 1969 annoying. too much squirrel talk and on and on. The energy from the shows is great but the setlists are so so and the talking/jokes are annoying at times.

Huh? This is as punk as mainstream Elvis gets... He got rave reviews and he got them on his own terms... I just love this, historical material.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

What are your feelings on the summer 1974 stage monologues?

Desert Storm and the like? Those I just find sad.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 am

DarrylMac wrote:

I Can't Stop Loving You, Yesterday (the safest MOR Cover of them all!), Blue Suede Shoes, My Babe, Runaway, What'd I Say and others in the set list in 1969 are all covers.

Yes, I know - but as noted "the sets are full of 'Elvis' material and not overly reliant on safe cover versions of other artists signature hit songs (as good and enjoyable as some of them are)."

And arguably Blue Suede Shoes is as much, if not more associated with Elvis Presley, than its creator Carl Perkins. Elvis' 1969 sets are typically more "Elvis focused" than what would come later. As for the "you've heard one show you've heard them all" motif, the same is true for other engagements and tours, which were all formatted around set-list templates.

Elvis' set-list in 1969 is the best he ever gave.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:38 am

Robt wrote:I agree. Somebody ask Ernst ,for the next 1969 Vegas ftd, to edit Elvis boring one-liners and jokes in both the life story monologues and in-between songs. They're as boring as sh*t.

Like your "funnies"?