Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

how did EOT come together

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:55 pm

when was the april tour of 1972 planned?
when was the june tour of 1972 planned?
whe did the idea of EOT come?
when was the details of EOT determined?

what i'm getting at, why didn't they use the june tour instead with the msg shows as the centerpiece?

Re: how did EOT come together

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 pm

I have a vague recollection that the documentaries were tied to the 68 tv special meaning it was cut as a 2movie deal plus 68. And the easiest way to fill the commitment was the documentaries. Perhaps the films in the deal were the post special feature films.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:18 pm

great question

many many quetions remain about this great movie hopefully 1 day all the material will get to see light of day

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:44 pm

voldto wrote:when was the april tour of 1972 planned?

what i'm getting at, why didn't they use the june tour instead with the msg shows as the centerpiece?

I don't think there was anything particularly mysterious. If I recall, Producers Pierre Adidge and Bob Abel met with Colonel during Elvis Jan/Feb Hilton engagement after being given the heads-up on their role by MGM. Elvis was in Hollywood by the end of March recording "Always On My Mind", "Separate Ways", etc and they had the opportunity to do something with them then. Including a 'mock' session following the recording proper, its only natural to assume that to carry on and follow Elvis only one week later to Buffalo would have made sense. Abel is on record saying there was 100,000 feet of film used, some 50 hrs worth of material. We can only hope that we will be able to see much of it during the course of our lifetime.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Change Of Habit is a film that was part of the 1968 Special deal. I don't think the concert documentaries had anything to do with that contract.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:47 am

I think MSG would have cost more to film at, plus Elvis probably was anxious and wouldn't have wanted them to be backstage etc.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:45 am

What is interesting is that a lady from the MSG asked why they filmed in Boston and not in MSG

What a brave question to ask also what made her think they were filming in Boston ?

unless she was talking with someone before the press conference about the Elvis On Tour Project and someone told her the wrong city ?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 am

Julian Grant wrote:

I don't think there was anything particularly mysterious. If I recall, Producers Pierre Adidge and Bob Abel met with Colonel during Elvis Jan/Feb Hilton engagement after being given the heads-up on their role by MGM. Elvis was in Hollywood by the end of March recording "Always On My Mind", "Separate Ways", etc and they had the opportunity to do something with them then. Including a 'mock' session following the recording proper, its only natural to assume that to carry on and follow Elvis only one week later to Buffalo would have made sense. Abel is on record saying there was 100,000 feet of film used, some 50 hrs worth of material. We can only hope that we will be able to see much of it during the course of our lifetime.

Brilliant Answer Julian Grant - I believe this too - how it came to take place - Love ya info on this thread - Ty 4 sharing this - I kinda recall reading about this too way back many years ago in some book /old ep mag I think -Lov It - -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 am

Colonel Parker decided to make a concert documentary film in 1970 for MGM.

1972 Colonel Parker decided to make a deal for another concert documentary film as a follow up to That's the way it is.

This time he decided that it would follow and Elvis on tour rather than one specifiic location.

The title of the film is rather simplistic and easy to have come up with.

Elvis goes on tour so the title of the film was Elvis on tour.

I would guess that MGM came up with the title.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 am

OnTourCam wrote:What is interesting is that a lady from the MSG asked why they filmed in Boston and not in MSG

What a brave question to ask also what made her think they were filming in Boston ?

unless she was talking with someone before the press conference about the Elvis On Tour Project and someone told her the wrong city ?

Yes, a very good question, - but the "answer" left a lot to be desired... Elvis turned and asked "Why is that, Colonel?" (right?) - and I have never been able to hear the reply from ol' C. Elvis just shrugges and laugh... :-(

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:12 am

If one wants to know the answers to all these questions I'd recommend reading Jerry Hopkins' epic The Final Years. Much inside information and interviews about Elvis On Tour.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 am

thanks! I read it many years ago...
His "ELVIS. The Biography" is even awaiting reading...

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:43 am

kajsa89 wrote:
OnTourCam wrote:What is interesting is that a lady from the MSG asked why they filmed in Boston and not in MSG

Yes, a very good question, - but the "answer" left a lot to be desired... Elvis turned and asked "Why is that, Colonel?" (right?) - and I have never been able to hear the reply from ol' C. Elvis just shrugges and laugh... :-(

I think the Colonel answers something like: 'we filmed it there because we wanted to spread it around a bit'. The answer didn't mean anything to Elvis it seemed by his reaction and doesn't mean much to me either to be frank.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:09 pm

karlos wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:

Brilliant Answer Julian Grant - I believe this too - how it came to take place - Love ya info on this thread - Ty 4 sharing this - I kinda recall reading about this too way back many years ago in some book /old ep mag I think -Lov It - -

Very kind of you to say so karlos, thank you.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I think MSG would have cost more to film at, plus Elvis probably was anxious and wouldn't have wanted them to be backstage etc.

wasnt it mgm not the colonel who funded the movie?
and i think elvis would have risen to the occasion and found it even more interesting that they filmed his msg shows
elvis was always more loose and relaxed and comfortable when there wasnt taping goin on, but since they already had planned to film a bunch of shows in 1972 why not make it the most challening and interesting?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Didn't Presley owe MGM two more films to complete his contract, and thus TTWII and EOT were born?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
karlos wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:

Very kind of you to say so karlos, thank you.

Yvw Julian Grant - Have a pleasant weeks ahead bud- yu roc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 pm

when did they plan the MSG shows? Madison Square Garden was not cheap to film in.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:29 pm

voldto wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:I think MSG would have cost more to film at, plus Elvis probably was anxious and wouldn't have wanted them to be backstage etc.

wasnt it mgm not the colonel who funded the movie?

Movie studios always fund the movies they are backing not the agent or the talent involved.