Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Newly found source tape ?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Any idea what the source might be ?

Up Close And Personal that's what this release is all about. These intimate recordings give an unique insight in the private life of Elvis Presley. Highlights on this release are the 1960 Los Angeles California recordings in STEREO. These recordings come from a recently discovered unique stereo tape which sounds better (it s in stereo!!) and is more complete then ever before. Including two unreleased stereo recordings of You'll Never Walk Alone (Although short, it s unique!) & If I loved You / The Lord's Prayer. This release also features Elvis at the Eddie Fadal residence in Waco Texas approx may 1958. Elvis is having a ball with Anita Wood, Eddie Fadal & Janice Fadal. For the very first time you can hear the COMPLETE uncut tape including previously unreleased versions of Happy Happy Birthday Baby. Then you are treated on some home recordings that were recorded at Goethestrasse in Germany during his army days. Obviously these are home recordings recorded on a tape deck (two tape decks when it comes to the stereo recordings) but that is all forgotten when you hear Elvis relax in a private situation. It s an unique insight in the man's life. It s Elvis up close & personal. Every effort has been made to achieve optimal sound quality, priority has been given to the historical content.

01. You'll Never Walk Alone (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
02. If I Loved You (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
03. The Lord's Prayer / If I loved you (reprise)(stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
04. I Wonder, I Wonder, I Wonder (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
05. An Evening Prayer (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
06. Make Believe (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
07. She Wears My Ring (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
08. Sweet Leilani #1 (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
09. Sweet Leilani #2 (stereo recording from newly found source tape/previously unreleased)
10. Sail Along The Silvery Moon/I Understand Just How I Feel
11. Happy Happy Birthday Baby
12. Dialogue
13. I Can't Help It
14. Dialogue
15. Who's Sorry Now # 1
16. Who's Sorry Now # 2
17. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #1
18. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #2 previously unreleased)
19. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #3 previously unreleased)
20. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #4
21. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #5
22. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #6
23. Happy Happy Birthday Baby #7
24. Dialogue
25. Tumblin' Tumbleweeds / Blue Moon / Don't You Know I Love you
26. Tomorrow Night #1
27. Tomorrow Night #2
28. Little Darlin'
29. Monologue
30. Just A Closer Walk With Thee
31. At The Hop
32. I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
33. Que Sera Sera/Hound Dog
34. I Asked The Lord
35. I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
36. Apron Strings
37. The Titles Will Tell
38. At The Hop/Give Me Oil In My Lamp
39. Que Sera Sera/Hound Dog
40. Piano Solo
41. Send Me Some Lovin'

Re: Newly found source tape ?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:45 pm

What kind of release is this??

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Please go to the following URL:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... d_i=468294

Brian

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 pm

I can't listen to those Eddie Fadal home recordings again. For the most part, they are naff and apart from the awful mastering glitch on track 4, wasn't this tape supposed to be complete on the MRS release from a year or 2 ago??? :o

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 pm

It was not....

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

If that was the case then why not? So someone else (or maybe the same person) can release it AGAIN with an extra 22 and a half seconds?? :twisted:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:48 pm

The first nine tracks are available on CD Let me be the one in stereo.

colonel snow

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:10 am

Part of this stereo release was also released recently on The Elvis Files CD 1.1. the sound is better but not by much because you have to also hear the god awful woman he was singing with. Red West isn't half bad, but Nancy Sharpe doesn't follow along worth a crap and her voice is too "plain". (for lack of a better description) I've never thought Elvis's voice lent itself to male/female duets at all anyway.

It is nice to have tho.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 am

Tim C wrote:Part of this stereo release was also released recently on The Elvis Files CD 1.1. the sound is better but not by much because you have to also hear the god awful woman he was singing with. Red West isn't half bad, but Nancy Sharpe doesn't follow along worth a crap and her voice is too "plain". (for lack of a better description) I've never thought Elvis's voice lent itself to male/female duets at all anyway.

It is nice to have tho.

601100_w Nancy Sharp.JPG
With Nancy Sharp, "Wild in the Country," Napa, CA - November 1960

His duets with Nancy Sharp are one of the tape's highlights. "Make Believe," from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Show Boat," is really nice.

Show Boat (1951) -- (Movie Clip) Make Believe
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/434077/Show-Boat-Movie-Clip-Make-Believe.html

As a student at Washington University in St. Louis, Nancy sang professionally in the chorus of the St. Louis Municipal Opera before changing her major from music to costume design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:01 am

Brian Quinn wrote:Please go to the following URL:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... d_i=468294

Brian

I searched for the item on the US amazon.com site, and it's not to be found. Do I have to order it from the U.K.? I did that once for a little book on Sinatra, so maybe they have my info. But why is it only there, and not here? Is there a copyright restriction here, that is not there?

rjm

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 am

rjm wrote:I searched for the item on the US amazon.com site, and it's not to be found. Do I have to order it from the U.K.? I did that once for a little book on Sinatra, so maybe they have my info. But why is it only there, and not here? Is there a copyright restriction here, that is not there?

rjm

They are in the public domain in Europe, but not the US. It's the latest release from Flashlight Records, who have put out a bunch of CDs this year:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?_encoding=UT ... %3Dpopular

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:53 pm

41 tracks? Must be plenty of snippets/partial songs.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:23 pm

promiseland wrote:41 tracks? Must be plenty of snippets/partial songs.

Yes, it includes the extra 22 and a half seconds not released on all the previous releases of this hard to listen to material. :?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm

TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:I searched for the item on the US amazon.com site, and it's not to be found. Do I have to order it from the U.K.? I did that once for a little book on Sinatra, so maybe they have my info. But why is it only there, and not here? Is there a copyright restriction here, that is not there?

rjm

They are in the public domain in Europe, but not the US. It's the latest release from Flashlight Records, who have put out a bunch of CDs this year:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?_encoding=UT ... %3Dpopular

There's tons of those Flashlight CDs gathering dust in HMV shops around these parts, £14 each most of them. I might have picked a few up if they were £1.40.

At least the new one has a good cover :smt005

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

Tony.. wrote:
promiseland wrote:41 tracks? Must be plenty of snippets/partial songs.

Yes, it includes the extra 22 and a half seconds not released on all the previous releases of this hard to listen to material. :?

The original LP and subsequent CD releases of the May 1958 Eddie Fadal home tape are apparently complete:

Forever Young, Forever Beautiful (Memphis Flash Records JL 92447, 1978)

This appeared with a good deal of hype from its publisher, Paul Lichter. Despite plenty of photos from May-June 1958, he opted for the original "art" you see above.

Fans heard a cute, over-modulated home recording from May 1958 in Waco, Texas. It's kind of charming and bizarre, all at the same time. Half features Elvis running wordless bass or falsetto vocal lines behind pop or blues records ]on Fadal's "very nice" hi-fi! It's not exactly FTD material, although BMG issued "I Understand Just How You Feel" about twelve years ago. If you've never heard it, these are the details:

ELVIS PRESLEY AT EDDIE FADAL'S HOUSE, MAY 1958
Note: with Anita Wood, Eddie Fadal, Janice Lynn Fadal
Omitted tracks below are simply moments of chit-chat between Elvis, Anita, Eddie and Janice.

01. Sail Along Silvery Moon / I Understand Just How You Feel [EP + piano]
03. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby [EP + piano]
05. I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) [Anita + EP + piano]
07. Who's Sorry Now? [Anita + EP + piano]
09. Who's Sorry Now? [Anita + EP + piano]
11. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby [EP bass, falsetto + Eddie + Tune Weavers 45]
12. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - ending [all + 45]
14. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby [EP bass, falsetto + 45]
16. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - end [EP bass, falsetto + 45]
18. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - end [EP bass, falsetto + 45]
20. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - end [EP bass, falsetto + 45]
22. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - end [EP bass, falsetto + 45]
24. Tumbling Tumbleweeds [EP mouth noise]
25. Don't You Know I Love You [EP bass + Fats Domino 45]
27. Tomorrow Night [EP bass + LaVern Baker 45]
29. Faithful And True [Eddie puts on the wrong side of the Diamonds hit single!]
31. Little Darlin' [EP bass, falsetto + Diamonds 45]
33. Just a Closer Walk With Thee [EP + piano]

All subsequent LP and CD releases are apparently sourced from the 1978 release.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 am

So that's it? Eddie Fadal? Shoot, I still listen to the LP a lot!

It's fun. But I have it. Don't need a CD.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 pm

It was put out on this cd, complete with crackles and pops. It was recorded straight from the LP.
HOME RECORDINGS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 am

Thanks John, that tells me that I think her voice still sucks and that she doesn't duet well with Elvis. Yuck!!! On top of that, her singing felt structured and classical where Elvis' style of singing with feeling just doesn't mesh well. Yet another problem with these type of duets. She sounded like she should have been singing how much is that doggie in the window. Costume design as an educational change was a good career move.

The song you mentioned isn't a highlight in my opinion, although it would have been remarkably better had it been a Red/Elvis duet...at least from the vocal perspective.

I've never heard a duet with the exception of Crawfish where I though a woman had a voice that lent itself to Elvis...including Ann Margret. It all sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me and the women try too hard.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:47 am

Tim C wrote:Thanks John, that tells me that I think her voice still sucks ...

What an ungracious reply.

You enjoy your corner-case opinion; I'll side with Elvis Presley that Nancy Sharp's voice was not only a delight, but worth recording along with his. He might have known just a tad more about singing and voices than you. ;-)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 am

Really John, you telling me about ungracious replies, absolutely hillarious. Elvis was fallible, he should have kept Charlie as a friend, not a backup singer. Elvis should not have had Voice as a backup group and even tho Elvis loved J.D.'s dive bombing in concert, he should have saved that for the all night sings after the concert. Oh, and just because Elvis liked her voice and sang with her....no where does it state that in order to be an Elvis fan that I have to like whom he recorded with sometimes. It's called personal preference.

And one last thing...here's a real ungracious reply for you...I really don't give a damned what you think. Never have.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am

Tim C wrote:... you telling me about ungracious replies...

Yes, tim c, every time you're out-of-the-blue rude towards one of my thoughtful posts, you'll hear from me.

And, given your "boasts," one imagines that means a lot. ;-)