Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 pm

:D I remember the FTD releases issued at correct speed and with care.....Shreveport 75' E/S for instance-what a super release that one turned out to be!~
whereas with fashion for a king..... i wanted the book.... it WAS released absolutely ON TIME- not late
and when everyone got it they rightly complained!~
as as has been said the L.A show upon re-issue was NOT corrected at all!~ These are valid points that HURT because identifying faults in something or someone you like always hurts... but might be for the good in the long term? :roll: :oops:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm

elvissessions wrote:
releasing it 5% too slow is totally unforgivable. Is it not?

Umm, yeah ... it IS forgivable.

i've forgiven far worse.

If you haven't, you must be a real s---, indeed.

Personal insults. Coming from the guy who admitted hugging Ernst and who once said that Elvis Presley was the most important person who walked the earth. Sad indeed.

Get a life, bud. :roll:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:17 pm

memfisking wrote:
elvissessions wrote:
releasing it 5% too slow is totally unforgivable. Is it not?

Umm, yeah ... it IS forgivable.

i've forgiven far worse.

If you haven't, you must be a real s---, indeed.

Personal insults. Coming from the guy who admitted hugging Ernst and who once said that Elvis Presley was the most important person who walked the earth. Sad indeed.

Get a life, bud. :roll:

Say it ain't so!

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:22 am

Say it ain't so!

It ain't so ...

I never have hugged Ernst. I guess I might if it seemed appropriate, but it's never happened and I can't imagine it will. I'm actually not all that touchy-feely a sort, even with family. Doubt Ernst is ever going to get an embrace from me. Heartbreaking for him, I'm sure.

I believe there's a photo with one us with an arm over the other's shoulder. We don't call that a hug or anything like it where I come from.

And to tell you the truth, I'd have to look at the photos; I'm not 100 percent sure I'm remembering right. But we may be posed that way.

As for the latter assertion, there's no semantics to debate at all.

I'm fairly sure I've NEVER said Elvis Presley was the most important person who walked the earth -- or anything close to it -- and if I did, my tongue must have been deep in cheek.

I don't believe that, not by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd be very hard pressed to say who I thought WAS the most important person, but I certainly wouldn't say it was Elvis.

So ... I don't really know what that's about, but whatever it is, it's nonsense.

But still, can you ever forgive me?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Tony.. wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:
Matthew wrote:Too Much Monkey Business (2000) - mastering error on Loving Arms
Easter Special (2001) - mastering errors resulting in digital clicking and noise throughout.
New Year's Eve (2003) - mastering errors resulting in digital noise.
So High (2003) - production fault on So High (take 1). FTD replaced the disc.
Elvis Today (2005) - mastering error resulting in significant volume mismatch between master takes and outtakes.
Unchained Melody (2007) - mastering error on Where No One Stands Alone.
Live In LA (2007) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc.
Live In LA (Again! - 2011) - straight CD re-issue of the book's CD. Previous mastering error not fixed.
Stage Rehearsal (2011) - mastering glitch on Patch It Up guitar solo.
Fashion For A King (2011) - legendary for its terrible grammatical problems and ironically FTD's best selling book.
Our Memories Of Elvis (2012) - mastering error on Are You Sincere.
Welcome Home Elvis (2012) - many grammatical problems.
From Hawaii To Vegas (2012) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
From Memphis To Hollywood (2012) - grammatical problems, though less that its predecessor.
Hits Of The 70s (2012) - incorrect version of My Way in place of the correct 1977 single.

And this list ignores such releases as Southern Nights (2006), featuring terribly sloppy editing work between songs, and does not delve into the arena of questionable creative decisions on some recent titles. What this list does reveal is that there is an upsurge in problems in the last couple of years, and that furthermore FTD have gotten quieter and quieter in addressing customer complaints, adopting a sort of "lalalalalalala, can't hear you" approach. But here's anticipating a "rational" rebuttal that these releases either do not have any problems, that the problems are "trivial", or that FTD have released so many wonderful titles without problems that those with production issues can be all but ignored and forgiven. Maybe "we'll" be surprised.

I tend to sit in the camp that fans who highlight issues have a voice that helps facilitate change - such as the significant shift in audio mastering aesthetics beginning with Kevan Budd in 2004, brought on in part because the hardcore fan base had been calling out for improved audio-work for sometime.

When In Rome wrote:Here's a few more errors fans...
The stereo master of 'Angel' on the 'FTD' FTD sounds a little wobbly compared to the TCM version.
The cover of the 'Wild In The Country' FTD stated Presely on the spine (they did replace that one)
'Tuscon '76' anyone... replaced quietly on the sly
The original 'Girl Happy' had the wrong take of 'You'll Be Gone' plus an all new tinny reverb on the masters. Had to buy the repress for that one!!
I know it's a fan/collectors label but as mentioned they aren't cheap, they never get reduced into a bargain bin and more importantly they do have a pretty big mother label, it would only take a test press to be looked and listened to with some keen eyes and ears!! I can't seem to remember many of the mass market Elvis releases having as many, if any, errors...

"I Found My Thrill" (2006) is also running a tad slow to these ears.

And there's the awful aural mess at the end of "I'm leaving it all up to ypu" on the "Stage rehearsal" cd where something is 'bleeding' over the top. Then there's the badly done mixing out of Elvis' humourous and non offensive ad-libs during several of the performances on that disc. :x

You guys forgot one - the FTD Elvis in Person contains 22.8.69 d/s but it was later found some tracks were actually borrowed from 21-8-69 (released in 2007 as Viva Las Vegas) in order to form a complete show. There was no mention of this inside the packaging. Ernst should have stated so.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Robt wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:
Matthew wrote:Too Much Monkey Business (2000) - mastering error on Loving Arms
Easter Special (2001) - mastering errors resulting in digital clicking and noise throughout.
Elvis Today (2005) - mastering error resulting in significant volume mismatch between master takes and outtakes.
Live In LA (2007) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc.
Live In LA (Again! - 2011) - straight CD re-issue of the book's CD. Previous mastering error not fixed.
Fashion For A King (2011) - legendary for its terrible grammatical problems and ironically FTD's best selling book.
From Hawaii To Vegas (2012) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
From Memphis To Hollywood (2012) - grammatical problems, though less that its predecessor.
Hits Of The 70s (2012) - incorrect version of My Way in place of the correct 1977 single.

And this list ignores such releases as Southern Nights (2006), featuring terribly sloppy editing work between songs, and does not delve into the arena of questionable creative decisions on some recent titles. What this list does reveal is that there is an upsurge in problems in the last couple of years, and that furthermore FTD have gotten quieter and quieter in addressing customer complaints, adopting a sort of "lalalalalalala, can't hear you" approach. But here's anticipating a "rational" rebuttal that these releases either do not have any problems, that the problems are "trivial", or that FTD have released so many wonderful titles without problems that those with production issues can be all but ignored and forgiven. Maybe "we'll" be surprised.

I tend to sit in the camp that fans who highlight issues have a voice that helps facilitate change - such as the significant shift in audio mastering aesthetics beginning with Kevan Budd in 2004, brought on in part because the hardcore fan base had been calling out for improved audio-work for sometime.

When In Rome wrote:Here's a few more errors fans...
The stereo master of 'Angel' on the 'FTD' FTD sounds a little wobbly compared to the TCM version.
The cover of the 'Wild In The Country' FTD stated Presely on the spine (they did replace that one)
'Tuscon '76' anyone... replaced quietly on the sly
The original 'Girl Happy' had the wrong take of 'You'll Be Gone' plus an all new tinny reverb on the masters. Had to buy the repress for that one!!
I know it's a fan/collectors label but as mentioned they aren't cheap, they never get reduced into a bargain bin and more importantly they do have a pretty big mother label, it would only take a test press to be looked and listened to with some keen eyes and ears!! I can't seem to remember many of the mass market Elvis releases having as many, if any, errors...

"I Found My Thrill" (2006) is also running a tad slow to these ears.

And there's the awful aural mess at the end of "I'm leaving it all up to ypu" on the "Stage rehearsal" cd where something is 'bleeding' over the top. Then there's the badly done mixing out of Elvis' humourous and non offensive ad-libs during several of the performances on that disc. :x

You guys forgot one - the FTD Elvis in Person contains 22.8.69 d/s but it was later found some tracks were actually borrowed from 21-8-69 (released in 2007 as Viva Las Vegas) in order to form a complete show. There was no mention of this inside the packaging. Ernst should have stated so.

:?: I always thought those august '69 shows were recorded complete from start to finish. Is that not the case then?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 pm

You Can't be serious man... YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !!! ( :lol: )

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Robt wrote:You guys forgot one - the FTD Elvis in Person contains 22.8.69 d/s but it was later found some tracks were actually borrowed from 21-8-69 (released in 2007 as Viva Las Vegas) in order to form a complete show. There was no mention of this inside the packaging. Ernst should have stated so.

You have it backwards.

The only thing wrong with the FTD is the photo on the back of the cover, which is a minor point. FTD's In Person release is one of their finest efforts. Did you download, er, buy it?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 am

Matthew wrote:
Robt wrote:You guys forgot one - the FTD Elvis in Person contains 22.8.69 d/s but it was later found some tracks were actually borrowed from 21-8-69 (released in 2007 as Viva Las Vegas) in order to form a complete show. There was no mention of this inside the packaging. Ernst should have stated so.

You have it backwards.

The only thing wrong with the FTD is the photo on the back of the cover, which is a minor point. FTD's In Person release is one of their finest efforts. Did you download, er, buy it?

err...bought it. No self-respecting EP fan should go without it. One of the FTD's best. And I also still kept the original CD reissue. THe FTD borrowed several tracks from 2007's Viva Las Vegas. The least EJ could have done was to say so. I'll have to check this again and then let you know which ones they were.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:12 am

Robt wrote:THe FTD borrowed several tracks from 2007's Viva Las Vegas.

No, it didn't.

Viva Las Vegas - August 21st Midnight Show - part of Blue Suede Shoes and the monologue on the tape is damaged so the CD uses part of Blue Suede Shoes and the monologue from the August 22nd Dinner Show.
In Person FTD - August 22nd Dinner Show - complete.

As I said, you have it backwards.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am

Matthew wrote:
Robt wrote:THe FTD borrowed several tracks from 2007's Viva Las Vegas.

No, it didn't.

Viva Las Vegas - August 21st Midnight Show - part of Blue Suede Shoes and the monologue on the tape is damaged so the CD uses part of Blue Suede Shoes and the monologue from the August 22nd Dinner Show.
In Person FTD - August 22nd Dinner Show - complete.

As I said, you have it backwards.

You're right. It was the other way 'round. Thanks Matt. ::rocks

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 pm

"Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc. "

Don't you mean disc 1? I do not have the replacement, so does the replacement include the mix used on EAP box?

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 pm

skatterbrane wrote:"Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc. "

Don't you mean disc 1? I do not have the replacement, so does the replacement include the mix used on EAP box?

No, he means disc 2. Take 2 of Padre was pressed twice on the 1st version of disc 2 whereas it should have take 11 the second time around per the tracklisting.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Mike C wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:"Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc. "

No, he means disc 2. Take 2 of Padre was pressed twice on the 1st version of disc 2 whereas it should have take 11 the second time around per the tracklisting.

I'm hoping FTD will do the same for the latest release "Destination USA" and give us a free replacement for Disc 1.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:[Too Much Monkey Business (2000) - mastering error on Loving Arms

Looking at your list without question shows 16 titles out of 117.

That's 14% of all releases since 1999. Or, to put it another way, you choose to ignore the fact that 86% of the Follow That Dream catalog cannot be faulted. That sounds like an excellent batting average for a fan-based, secondary label.

Now, let's take a closer look at your list.

First of all, you own each of these, correct? The other complainer went silent on this one. What a surprise.

Secondly, both So High and Elvis (Fool) issued replacement discs, and yet they remain on a list of "errors"? Do they still press the disc that needed to be recalled? "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" must be your philosophy.

Thirdly, the track of complaint on Hits of the 70's was a bonus cut and has not been verified as "incorrect."

Finally, the books you list do not have "grammatical problems."

They do unfortunately have errors of spelling, punctuation and grammar. Perhaps you should be more sympathetic.

In addition, these books were under the FTD imprint, but managed by people who are not a part of the core FTD team. Their publication was approved primarily because of the rare and beautiful photographic content.

So, by any fair measure, we can knock that 16 count down to 10, and this makes titles with "errors" to 9% of all FTD releases.

91% of this fan label's product is pretty darn good. What in God's name is your problem?

Have a nice day.

I love FTD and will defend the label to my dying day, but there are lots of mistakes on most of these titles. Your 9 % mark is completely off. Do you really want me to involve myself in this and list ALL the mistakes I can remember spotting, starting with the first album and ending with the last? For instance, the booklet to Destination USA is a complete disaster. Robert Frieser's English is embarrassing, and Tony Prince cannot write. He is not the only one. The Elvis on tour information provided for Sold Out! is riddled with mistakes and repeated in the latest Legacy release for good measure. Here they are: Elvis performed one show in Cleveland June 21, not two; Elvis did two concerts in Niagara Falls June 24, not one; the last show of the year was done in Abilene October 9, not San Antonio the day before; there are 69 on tour concerts, not 68.

Oh, speaking of Destination USA, who the hell are Kenny Kjøll (sic!) and Erik Lorenzen (sic!)? They can't even get the names right. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. There simply is no quality control.

Have a nice day indeed.