Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: My Elvis Tree

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 am

Tony.. wrote:I've always found this kind of thing to be a little sacreligious. Can you imagine an Elton John fan hanging pics and ornaments of Elton John on his Xmas tree? Isn't it about celebrating the birth of Christ?


So are you saying the traditional Christmas tree ornaments, tinsels, stockings, etc are religious symbols?

Re: My Elvis Tree

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:41 am

Chris Roberts wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I've always found this kind of thing to be a little sacreligious. Can you imagine an Elton John fan hanging pics and ornaments of Elton John on his Xmas tree? Isn't it about celebrating the birth of Christ?


It may be now since christianity hijacked the season. Originally it was to celibrate mid winter and the promise of the sun returning. That is why greenery such as holy etc was placed to herald the future comming of greenary. It was a pagen celebration that the christians adopted as they couldn't beat it. Jesus wasn't even born on the 25th December!


I 'jacked it back! ;)

It's a Solstice Festival, and it's as much mine as anyone else's.

Did you know that "Solstice" means "Sun standing still"? Yeah. It was the time of the Longest Days, and people didn't understand why it was happening, and so built bonfires to the gods, imploring them to please return the Sun to them! Pretty cool. Also the older calendar had the days a little different, so the 25th WAS the longest day. Still, it's fine because Christmas Day is usually the day the Solstice ends. Which is one good reason for JOY! Even if we understand it a little better now, or you have faith-based reasons for joy.

The holiday, in various forms, was celebrated all over Europe, and in the Eastern part of Europe, encompassing the Ukraine, parts of Russia, where they follow the Russian Orthodox faith, and wait for "Father Frost," which I heard about all my life from my mom. "Father Frost" is Santa Claus, who appears in many different forms in many different places. And a gift-giving elf (a goat, actually), up in Scandinavia, predates Christianity, along with virtually all other traditions, save the Nativity. If you read a book called The Solstice Evergreen, by Karal Ann Karas, who is Jewish, btw, you'll never guess to where she traces the Christmas Tree! I have two copies. Get one; it's cool! http://www.amazon.com/The-Solstice-Evergreen-Folklore-Christmas/dp/0944031757/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354852758&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=The+Solstice+Evergreen%2C+by+Karal+Ann+Karas

:smt114

rjm
P.S. -- If you have a European lineage, and my dad had red hair - once. Then, well, it's already yours. And my mom was half and half. So it's mine. My solstice festival. Although I have no problem celebrating also the birth of Someone who, as the song says, "preached of love and compassion." One more thing: Christmas Day is my mother's birthday, so it's pretty special. We light memorial candles for her, for the whole 24 hours, starting at midnight. It's a very special day. :)


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: My Elvis Tree

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:13 pm

RJM Being your mothers birthday too, certainly does make it a special day for your family. You mentioned the longest day but I realise that you meant longest night.

Being a non believer I celibrate the season for the passing of the winter solstice. Although being something of an atheist I still very much enjoy Elvis' gospel music. You don't have to be a christian (I was bought up as one, babtised etc.) to appreciate lyics such as 'I went down in the valley, I didn't go there to stay, my soul got happy in the valley, i stayed right there all day'. I often go for walks in the forest and, whilst there, find myself so at peace with the world that, I usually stay much longer than intented! Or my favourite 'Take My Hand, Precious Lord'. True it is about the lord but it is also about being led safely home. Something we can all relate to.

Re: My Elvis Tree

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!!!!!
Just to clear up some comments:
I do have a separate area where I have a nativity set-up with some other religious representatives so I do tend to Christmas for its very sacred meaning.

This is one of those hobbies that just snowballed. Many years ago I picked up some Elvis ornaments to put on my tree with a bunch of other random ones. The next year I picked up a few more. The year after that, the same thing. It then just became an annual thing sort of like people who collect Hess Trucks.

Elvis was into Christmas as well as being very religious so being a fan of the king, it all just ties together for me. It's nice to come home from a stressful day to a Drink, Elvis Music, and a Christmas Display.

RJM - you have some cool ones too. I'm actually bidding on the one black Christmas ball with Elvis' picture on it on E-bay.


Do you have any Elvis CD's or DVD's?

Re: My Elvis Tree

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:RJM Being your mothers birthday too, certainly does make it a special day for your family. You mentioned the longest day but I realise that you meant longest night.

Being a non believer I celibrate the season for the passing of the winter solstice. Although being something of an atheist I still very much enjoy Elvis' gospel music. You don't have to be a christian (I was bought up as one, babtised etc.) to appreciate lyics such as 'I went down in the valley, I didn't go there to stay, my soul got happy in the valley, i stayed right there all day'. I often go for walks in the forest and, whilst there, find myself so at peace with the world that, I usually stay much longer than intented! Or my favourite 'Take My Hand, Precious Lord'. True it is about the lord but it is also about being led safely home. Something we can all relate to.


Especially if you're a taxi driver! LOL

Re: My Elvis Tree

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Jove wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I've always found this kind of thing to be a little sacreligious. Can you imagine an Elton John fan hanging pics and ornaments of Elton John on his Xmas tree? Isn't it about celebrating the birth of Christ?


So are you saying the traditional Christmas tree ornaments, tinsels, stockings, etc are religious symbols?


Not necessarily, because the religious aspect has been kicked out of today's generation by the commercialism of it all and trashy TV of today's world. But then why DO people, at Christmas time put up a Christmas tree and cover it with Christmas decorations?! (Or baubles with Van Morrison's image on if so inclined??!!)

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 am

Tony.. wrote:
Jove wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I've always found this kind of thing to be a little sacreligious. Can you imagine an Elton John fan hanging pics and ornaments of Elton John on his Xmas tree? Isn't it about celebrating the birth of Christ?


So are you saying the traditional Christmas tree ornaments, tinsels, stockings, etc are religious symbols?


Not necessarily, because the religious aspect has been kicked out of today's generation by the commercialism of it all and trashy TV of today's world.

But since religion hijacked it in the first place, which should never have happened, i don't see nothing wrong with getting the religious aspect getting kicked out of it. The sooner it happens, the better. And i dont care how its done...they can use all the commercials in the world, just get it kicked as far away as possible :smt114

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 am

A lot of ignorance and intolerance in this thread. Remember folks, Elvis loved Christmas AND Jesus.

::rocks

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes, he did.

We both have that in common.

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Matthew wrote:A lot of ignorance and intolerance in this thread. Remember folks, Elvis loved Christmas AND Jesus.

::rocks

exactly what ignorance are you referring to? I don't see any of that in this thread

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:RJM Being your mothers birthday too, certainly does make it a special day for your family. You mentioned the longest day but I realise that you meant longest night.

Being a non believer I celibrate the season for the passing of the winter solstice. Although being something of an atheist I still very much enjoy Elvis' gospel music. You don't have to be a christian (I was bought up as one, babtised etc.) to appreciate lyics such as 'I went down in the valley, I didn't go there to stay, my soul got happy in the valley, i stayed right there all day'. I often go for walks in the forest and, whilst there, find myself so at peace with the world that, I usually stay much longer than intented! Or my favourite 'Take My Hand, Precious Lord'. True it is about the lord but it is also about being led safely home. Something we can all relate to.

to me, christmas has never been about celebrating anything. no celebrating the birth of an imaginary friend, or the passing of the winter solstice or anything. just a nice and special time with loved ones :smt114

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:exactly what ignorance are you referring to? I don't see any of that in this thread

:wink:

Re: My Elvis Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 pm

ok Matthew