Off Topic Messages

PONO is coming: Will You Buy?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:07 am

Just this week, it's confirmed that Neil Young's portable hi-def music player, and software, WILL be released. Will you buy it?

I, personally, would spring for the Complete Masters if it was in the highest POSSIBLE sound quality - even better than CD. That would be exciting. And that's what's promised: better than CD quality. (No. Elvis has not been promised, but if it were to work out . . .)

Here's some info:

(YouTube has made major changes, and the YouTube bbcode embedding is not working, apparently.)

phpBB [video]

tomshardware.com wrote:Speculation about Neil Young's super-high-resolution music player has been making the rounds on the Internet for more than a year, but it seems that the musician is serious about the device and that it will be released sometime next year.

Zoom

According to Young, the Pono player will be playing the best quality of music you can get.

Young recently showed of a rather clumsy prototype design of Pono - whose name stands for righteous in Hawaiian, he said - without demonstrating it. However, new rumors suggest that Young has a functional device and is currently accumulating a music library and licenses for a music store that would hold 192 kHz / 24-bit recordings. Pono will also cover a "digital-to-analogue conversion technology intended to present songs as they first sound during studio recording sessions". There is not much detail, but Pono is not vaporware, according to Young, and will be released sometime in 2013.

There is reasonable doubt whether a dedicated music player like Pono can be successful in a time when we expect our mobile phones not just to be music playback devices, but entire entertainment multi-talents that can also play videos and run games that we download from application stores. Music streaming via cellular networks will be out of the question for Pono, given the fact that Young's preferred music format consumes about 300 MB of space for five minutes of audio, which makes the data squeezed into a Netflix SD movie (700 MB) look rather small. Even if you were to use music streaming over a commercial DSl or cable broadband network, you would be brand was an excessive bandwidth user if you were to stream more than 30 songs per day on average. Pono will have to rely on massive local storage that would provide room for about 200 songs in 64 GB of space.

I put that other topic up about the big-little Beatles "Apple" - the thumb drive, trying to get your ideas. I will stay at it!

rjm
Last edited by fecc-mechanic on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed youtube video link -fecc mechanic

Re: PONO is coming: Will You Buy?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:43 am

Ok. Here's a nice fantasy. You've seen the "little green Apple" with all the Lads' albums. So how about this, for The Complete Masters, on a thumb drive. (A bit better designed; I did this in a half hour, and it's not very good.)

But they could DO this! (With a little taillight, instead of a "stem.")

USB_PinkCaddy.jpg

I suppose it would be a higher capacity drive: they have 32, 64, 128, depending on how much is needed, and any bonus materials.

Now, would you buy the unit? To get this? Pure, fabulous music for "golden ears." (They say that's what you need for such music. And really, really good headphones!)

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm

If you want to pay to stream music that you cant have then go for it!

It's a ripoff that will not last and those 92 kHz / 24-bit recordings will be sourced from 16-bit CD audio not from Mastertapes as they claim, but if so the price to stream these will be outrageous.

I'll Pass..

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

No thanks

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Since this is an audiophile forum, I'd say Neil is up a creek w/out a paddle.

I would like to see an IPod 8th gen, geared to lossless play, with WiFi sync and digital booklets. With solid state drive - large capacity. And better connectivty to your hi fi set up. That would be really nice. :D

rjm

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 am

Hi RJM!
(off topic, but may be helpful for readers)
The youtube embedding still works. It just doesn't work with youtu.be domain/link shortening links. the regular youtube.com links work fine.

For instance - your above:
Code:
http://youtu.be/uhQlOxXIM-E
link doesn't work with the bbcode as noted.

But the regular youtube.com link below does!

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQlOxXIM-E

TA-DA!
phpBB [video]

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:Hi RJM!
(off topic, but may be helpful for readers)
The youtube embedding still works. It just doesn't work with youtu.be domain/link shortening links. the regular youtube.com links work fine.

For instance - your above:
Code:
http://youtu.be/uhQlOxXIM-E
link doesn't work with the bbcode as noted.

But the regular youtube.com link below does!

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQlOxXIM-E

TA-DA!
phpBB [video]

Hi Jordan!

Thanks! :smt023

Best,
Robin (rjm)