Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:20 pm

likethebike wrote:Brian is right about Elvis listening to Top 40. I don't know how much deep into the 1970s he went (although MJ mentioned his praising the arrangement on "Dancing Machine"). But in 1969-1970 given the amount of songs incorporated into the act that were hits at that time and the number of references to songs of that time "Rainy Night in Georgia," "Don't it Make You Wanna Go Home," etc. he was clearly aware of what was on the radio at least at that point in the game. The remark that he makes in That's the Way it is indicates not only that he knew of the Supremes but that a change in leadership had taken place in the group. Judging by his record collection, occasionally, he would even seek something out in this period as one of Dion's folk Lps, which made only the bottom of the charts was in there. Judging his record collection, his song selection, and his references his field of knowledge was always fairly wide.

For what it's worth, Elvis had three 45s by the Animals in his collection, not that surprising being they were really effective purveyors of the R&B based music that Elvis loved. On the other side, he was really, by accounts of his intimates into Peter, Paul and Mary. Again, that's not surprising as PP&M along with the Kingston Trio introduced much of mainstream America to folk music.

What Elvis didn't listen to was the then up and coming format of FM radio. It's hard to understand now when FM is what AM used to be but with better sound, but in the late 1960s it was an alternative format that allowed for longer song lengths, sometimes harsher sounds, sometimes more idiosynchratic sounds, sparer sounds. In other words, the stuff that really couldn't get on FM radio. This is the place, despite their AM success with "Whole Lotta Love" that Elvis would have heard a Led Zeppelin etc. It's not clear that he ever listened to it. In some ways it was what that hip kid in the 50s might have listened to, but by 1970 Elvis was 35 and Top 40 was always where the hits were. I don't know if he would have liked it a whole lot anyway, as it was fairly far away from the sinewy R&B that he loved with more emphasis on the beat and physicality than rhythm and melody.


I'm really only going by what Marty Lacker told me when I asked if Elvis listened to popular music in the 70's. It's obvious that Elvis listened to pop music in the early to late 60's and probably the early 70's but according to Marty, by 73 Elvis had all but abandoned R&B and pop and only listened to country and gospel, especially white gospel like the Stamps.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 pm

eligain wrote:
likethebike wrote:Brian is right about Elvis listening to Top 40. I don't know how much deep into the 1970s he went (although MJ mentioned his praising the arrangement on "Dancing Machine"). But in 1969-1970 given the amount of songs incorporated into the act that were hits at that time and the number of references to songs of that time "Rainy Night in Georgia," "Don't it Make You Wanna Go Home," etc. he was clearly aware of what was on the radio at least at that point in the game. The remark that he makes in That's the Way it is indicates not only that he knew of the Supremes but that a change in leadership had taken place in the group. Judging by his record collection, occasionally, he would even seek something out in this period as one of Dion's folk Lps, which made only the bottom of the charts was in there. Judging his record collection, his song selection, and his references his field of knowledge was always fairly wide.

For what it's worth, Elvis had three 45s by the Animals in his collection, not that surprising being they were really effective purveyors of the R&B based music that Elvis loved. On the other side, he was really, by accounts of his intimates into Peter, Paul and Mary. Again, that's not surprising as PP&M along with the Kingston Trio introduced much of mainstream America to folk music.

What Elvis didn't listen to was the then up and coming format of FM radio. It's hard to understand now when FM is what AM used to be but with better sound, but in the late 1960s it was an alternative format that allowed for longer song lengths, sometimes harsher sounds, sometimes more idiosynchratic sounds, sparer sounds. In other words, the stuff that really couldn't get on FM radio. This is the place, despite their AM success with "Whole Lotta Love" that Elvis would have heard a Led Zeppelin etc. It's not clear that he ever listened to it. In some ways it was what that hip kid in the 50s might have listened to, but by 1970 Elvis was 35 and Top 40 was always where the hits were. I don't know if he would have liked it a whole lot anyway, as it was fairly far away from the sinewy R&B that he loved with more emphasis on the beat and physicality than rhythm and melody.


I'm really only going by what Marty Lacker told me when I asked if Elvis listened to popular music in the 70's. It's obvious that Elvis listened to pop music in the early to late 60's and probably the early 70's but according to Marty, by 73 Elvis had all but abandoned R&B and pop and only listened to country and gospel, especially white gospel like the Stamps.


He heard "Bread."

rjm

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm

eligain wrote:
likethebike wrote:Brian is right about Elvis listening to Top 40. I don't know how much deep into the 1970s he went (although MJ mentioned his praising the arrangement on "Dancing Machine"). But in 1969-1970 given the amount of songs incorporated into the act that were hits at that time and the number of references to songs of that time "Rainy Night in Georgia," "Don't it Make You Wanna Go Home," etc. he was clearly aware of what was on the radio at least at that point in the game. The remark that he makes in That's the Way it is indicates not only that he knew of the Supremes but that a change in leadership had taken place in the group. Judging by his record collection, occasionally, he would even seek something out in this period as one of Dion's folk Lps, which made only the bottom of the charts was in there. Judging his record collection, his song selection, and his references his field of knowledge was always fairly wide.

For what it's worth, Elvis had three 45s by the Animals in his collection, not that surprising being they were really effective purveyors of the R&B based music that Elvis loved. On the other side, he was really, by accounts of his intimates into Peter, Paul and Mary. Again, that's not surprising as PP&M along with the Kingston Trio introduced much of mainstream America to folk music.

What Elvis didn't listen to was the then up and coming format of FM radio. It's hard to understand now when FM is what AM used to be but with better sound, but in the late 1960s it was an alternative format that allowed for longer song lengths, sometimes harsher sounds, sometimes more idiosynchratic sounds, sparer sounds. In other words, the stuff that really couldn't get on FM radio. This is the place, despite their AM success with "Whole Lotta Love" that Elvis would have heard a Led Zeppelin etc. It's not clear that he ever listened to it. In some ways it was what that hip kid in the 50s might have listened to, but by 1970 Elvis was 35 and Top 40 was always where the hits were. I don't know if he would have liked it a whole lot anyway, as it was fairly far away from the sinewy R&B that he loved with more emphasis on the beat and physicality than rhythm and melody.


I'm really only going by what Marty Lacker told me when I asked if Elvis listened to popular music in the 70's. It's obvious that Elvis listened to pop music in the early to late 60's and probably the early 70's but according to Marty, by 73 Elvis had all but abandoned R&B and pop and only listened to country and gospel, especially white gospel like the Stamps.


That's the thing about the MM their stories don't necessarily jibe. Lamar basically said Elvis listened to very little competing pop music after he came to fame. But as Paul Simpson pointed out you have the story of him sending Red and Charlie out to buy the entire Top 100 in 1966.

It's certainly possible that he switched from pop to country in the mid-1970s as most of his covers in that period are either oldies or then contemporary country hits.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm

That's true. a lot of Memphis Mafia's stories contradict one another. hard to know who to believe sometimes. But its best to believe the ones that were around the most.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 pm

DEH wrote:That's true. a lot of Memphis Mafia's stories contradict one another. hard to know who to believe sometimes.

If one is well-read on Presley's life, and has an ability to intuit all the testimony, it is not difficult to determine the truth.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:That's true. a lot of Memphis Mafia's stories contradict one another. hard to know who to believe sometimes.

If one is well-read on Presley's life, and has an ability to intuit all the testimony, it is not difficult to determine the truth.


exactly.......use some common sense and take most of it with a pinch of salt

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 pm

One place Elvis would have been exposed to the popular music of the day was television. We know he watched Johnny Carson which tended to have on the most of the popular MOR artists and hits of the day plus there was all of the music based variety shows in the mid 70's like Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Mac Davis etc., and of course; Ed Sullivan. Then there was pure pop and rock music shows like "The Midnight Special" and "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" that he could have watched.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm

I would be VERY interested to see a list of his personal record collection.

I wonder if he had mono or stereo pressings of every Beatles album?

Perhaps both?

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I would be VERY interested to see a list of his personal record collection.

I wonder if he had mono or stereo pressings of every Beatles album?

Perhaps both?

You need to re-fill your prescription. ;-)

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:43 am

No thanks, doctor, I'll just have some of yours. :lol:

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 am

Sorry, my list is full. Carry on! ;-)

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm not involved, but Elvis addressed the Beatles situation early. In the press announcement w/ Danny Thomas. He said he was well aware of them the previous year. Before they hit here. Vee Jay. As I recall he was quite positive. And he liked saying that he was ahead of the game, in terms of knowing what was going on.

He didn't seem to wish to discuss it further. Some mention was made of their US triumph and Thomas said it was fair since "we" do well over there. That must have hurt; Elvis did not work over there. Thomas seemed to have no idea.

That was awkward. Elvis never went anywhere.

rjm

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:39 pm

He knew what was going on
Every time he walked into a recording studio he would catch up with the latest gossip from the band members

Not forgetting Freddy Bienstock

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 am

It seems a common misconception is often repeated, implying that the music everyone was listening to in the late 60's/early 70's was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Pink Floyd, and other hard rock acts. Maybe that was the case on the FM dial, but the AM dial still carried a diverse group of artists - rock, soul, country, MOR - many whom Elvis was a fan of. People like Aretha Franklin, Glen Campbell, the 5th Dimension, Al Green, CCR, B. J. Thomas, Johnny Cash, the Guess Who, the Grass Roots, Tom Jones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, to name but a few.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I would be VERY interested to see a list of his personal record collection.

I wonder if he had mono or stereo pressings of every Beatles album?

Perhaps both?

You need to re-fill your prescription. ;-)

He supposedly has the Rubber Soul album. I read that once or twice.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 am

Lonely Summer wrote:It seems a common misconception is often repeated, implying that the music everyone was listening to in the late 60's/early 70's was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Pink Floyd, and other hard rock acts. Maybe that was the case on the FM dial, but the AM dial still carried a diverse group of artists - rock, soul, country, MOR - many whom Elvis was a fan of. People like Aretha Franklin, Glen Campbell, the 5th Dimension, Al Green, CCR, B. J. Thomas, Johnny Cash, the Guess Who, the Grass Roots, Tom Jones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, to name but a few.

Spot-on, man.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 am

I remember a couple years ago there was a thread on here or somewhere that had the list of just some of the records in his collection.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 am

DEH wrote:I remember a couple years ago there was a thread on here or somewhere that had the list of just some of the records in his collection.


It might be hard to find; can anyone come up with a link to that thread? Of a list, or pictures? (I know I saw some pictures, but I haven't seen a list.) And yes, mention was specifically made of "Rubber Soul." I guess they found these records at his death, which would be a snapshot of what he was listening to, then. (And "Rubber Soul" was quite in "the past" by then, but then again, in the '70s, the Beatles were still being rediscovered. But I wouldn't think by someone who was most certainly old enough to have heard it the first time around. I mean, they were being rediscovered by much younger people - younger than the first baby boomers. Intriguing. I also saw a picture of a Duke Ellington album.)

A link?

rjm

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I remember it included albums and singles by Tom Jones, Glen Campbell, The Animals, Jose Feliciano (including his cover of Light my Fire), Jim Croce, The Sweet Inspirations, Roy Hamilton, The Rubber Soul album,. I forget the others..

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 am

rjm wrote:
DEH wrote:I remember a couple years ago there was a thread on here or somewhere that had the list of just some of the records in his collection.


It might be hard to find; can anyone come up with a link to that thread? Of a list, or pictures? (I know I saw some pictures, but I haven't seen a list.) And yes, mention was specifically made of "Rubber Soul." I guess they found these records at his death, which would be a snapshot of what he was listening to, then. (And "Rubber Soul" was quite in "the past" by then, but then again, in the '70s, the Beatles were still being rediscovered. But I wouldn't think by someone who was most certainly old enough to have heard it the first time around. I mean, they were being rediscovered by much younger people - younger than the first baby boomers. Intriguing. I also saw a picture of a Duke Ellington album.)

A link?

rjm

Check this out -->

From Elvis' Crates --> His Vinyl Is No Mystery!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73783

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:It seems a common misconception is often repeated, implying that the music everyone was listening to in the late 60's/early 70's was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Pink Floyd, and other hard rock acts. Maybe that was the case on the FM dial, but the AM dial still carried a diverse group of artists - rock, soul, country, MOR - many whom Elvis was a fan of. People like Aretha Franklin, Glen Campbell, the 5th Dimension, Al Green, CCR, B. J. Thomas, Johnny Cash, the Guess Who, the Grass Roots, Tom Jones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, to name but a few.


Big acts in the UK in the early 70's include; T.Rex, Sweet, Mungo Jerry, Rod Stewart, David Cassidy and, of course, Slade. These were the acts, amonge others, who regulary made the charts.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:49 am

Chris Roberts wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:It seems a common misconception is often repeated, implying that the music everyone was listening to in the late 60's/early 70's was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Pink Floyd, and other hard rock acts. Maybe that was the case on the FM dial, but the AM dial still carried a diverse group of artists - rock, soul, country, MOR - many whom Elvis was a fan of. People like Aretha Franklin, Glen Campbell, the 5th Dimension, Al Green, CCR, B. J. Thomas, Johnny Cash, the Guess Who, the Grass Roots, Tom Jones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, to name but a few.


Big acts in the UK in the early 70's include; T.Rex, Sweet, Mungo Jerry, Rod Stewart, David Cassidy and, of course, Slade. These were the acts, amonge others, who regulary made the charts.

Mungo Jerry had more than "In the Summertime"? T. Rex really only made it here with "Bang a Gong Get it On"; Sweet, a little later, with "Little Willy", "Ballroom Blitz", "Love is Like Oxygen" and a couple others. Rockin' Rod was everywhere throughout the decade, and David Cassidy was on the charts in 71/72 constantly - either on his own or with his tv family.

Re: Elvis' opinion on the music artists of the '60s and 70s?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:14 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:It seems a common misconception is often repeated, implying that the music everyone was listening to in the late 60's/early 70's was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Pink Floyd, and other hard rock acts. Maybe that was the case on the FM dial, but the AM dial still carried a diverse group of artists - rock, soul, country, MOR - many whom Elvis was a fan of. People like Aretha Franklin, Glen Campbell, the 5th Dimension, Al Green, CCR, B. J. Thomas, Johnny Cash, the Guess Who, the Grass Roots, Tom Jones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, to name but a few.


Big acts in the UK in the early 70's include; T.Rex, Sweet, Mungo Jerry, Rod Stewart, David Cassidy and, of course, Slade. These were the acts, amonge others, who regulary made the charts.

Mungo Jerry had more than "In the Summertime"?


''Baby Jump'' was a #1 hit in the U.K.